Bad Fresman Year Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ny2121

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I finished my freshman year with a 1.956 GPA, which is clearly a very low and poor GPA. I am really ashamed and upset with myself over this, however, I know my mistakes and what not to repeat. I am currently going to retake the two biology, chemistry, and one calculus course I did poorly in. On top of this, I currently have a job and was an elected vice president of my hall at a large University. I know that is not much, but I thought I would just add for more information. Based on this, what are my chances at being admitted into medical school if I do well in retaking my classes? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If you retake the the courses, will they replace the previous grade? Or will it average out? Currently your chances are obviously not good. But I've heard of worse freshmen GPAs. Just make sure you don't have a repeat and you should be golden.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you retake the the courses, will they replace the previous grade? Or will it average out? Currently your chances are obviously not good. But I've heard of worse freshmen GPAs. Just make sure you don't have a repeat and you should be golden.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
My advisor told me medical schools will average the retake to the original. She recommended this course of action, but the advisors at my university tend to cautious when talking about chances and such.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Only retake courses that you received a C- or lower. All grades will be counted on your med school app. Make sure your job and your VP do not interfere with your ability to ace your retakes and your future courses.

Reactions: 1 user
Only retake courses that you received a C- or lower. All grades will be counted on your med school app. Make sure your job and your VP do not interfere with your ability to ace your retakes and your future courses.
thank you, I appreciate the help.

Hi everyone,

I finished my freshman year with a 1.956 GPA, which is clearly a very low and poor GPA. I am really ashamed and upset with myself over this, however, I know my mistakes and what not to repeat. I am currently going to retake the two biology, chemistry, and one calculus course I did poorly in. On top of this, I currently have a job and was an elected vice president of my hall at a large University. I know that is not much, but I thought I would just add for more information. Based on this, what are my chances at being admitted into medical school if I do well in retaking my classes? Thank you.
Also, if you have 2 consecutive years of a strong, upward-trending GPA, it will look great! Kill it these next couple years and good luck!

My advisor told me medical schools will average the retake to the original. She recommended this course of action, but the advisors at my university tend to cautious when talking about chances and such.

From what I'm aware schools do not average your grades. All grades will be calculated in AMCAS.

Do you mind sharing why you received such a GPA your freshman year? From that we can give you more advice.

From what I'm aware schools do not average your grades. All grades will be calculated in AMCAS.

Do you mind sharing why you received such a GPA your freshman year? From that we can give you more advice.
Calculating all grades is averaging the grades.

Reactions: 1 users