Bad GPA due to illness freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilyf94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I became seriously ill towards the end of my first semester freshman year, which is dragging my GPA down a lot. I ended up having to withdraw from three classes (two first semester, one second) and finished the year with a GPA around 2.95. I made up the dropped classes over the summer, but I'm currently on a leave of absence to recover.

Anyway, I absolutely know that I'll be able to get my GPA up significantly. Neither the material nor the workload of the premed (and other) classes are particularly difficult for me, and once I'm not missing class and getting behind due to being sick, I'm confident that my grades will improve. Additionally, I should mention that I go to a prestigious university, and though the premed committee will write letters of recommendation for any student who wants to apply to medical school, over 90% of our applicants are accepted to at least one med school, even with GPAs below the national average.

That being said, I'm really concerned about my freshman year GPA as well as the W's on my transcript. I had to withdraw from biology and chemistry. I'll obviously be making them up, but will that look really bad? The third class I withdrew from was just an elective.

As far as other relevant issues go: during my year off, I'm volunteering at a local hospital. I've already made contact with some professors at my school, and I'll be participating in biology or psychology research next year. I also may go on a service trip via GlobeMed to bring care to a rural/underprivileged area. I don't plan on applying to medical school during my third year - instead, I plan to pursue a Master's degree in Bioethics before med school.

So. Assuming I get competitive grades for the next three years, do well on the MCAT, etc., how much do you think my freshman year will hurt me? Also, what information/documentation, if anything, will I have to provide about my illness? I have a paper trail, but I'd like to make sure I take care of any necessary paperwork as soon as possible. :)

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I became seriously ill towards the end of my first semester freshman year, which is dragging my GPA down a lot. I ended up having to withdraw from three classes (two first semester, one second) and finished the year with a GPA around 2.95. I made up the dropped classes over the summer, but I'm currently on a leave of absence to recover.

Anyway, I absolutely know that I'll be able to get my GPA up significantly. Neither the material nor the workload of the premed (and other) classes are particularly difficult for me, and once I'm not missing class and getting behind due to being sick, I'm confident that my grades will improve. Additionally, I should mention that I go to a prestigious university, and though the premed committee will write letters of recommendation for any student who wants to apply to medical school, over 90% of our applicants are accepted to at least one med school, even with GPAs below the national average.

That being said, I'm really concerned about my freshman year GPA as well as the W's on my transcript. I had to withdraw from biology and chemistry. I'll obviously be making them up, but will that look really bad? The third class I withdrew from was just an elective.

As far as other relevant issues go: during my year off, I'm volunteering at a local hospital. I've already made contact with some professors at my school, and I'll be participating in biology or psychology research next year. I also may go on a service trip via GlobeMed to bring care to a rural/underprivileged area. I don't plan on applying to medical school during my third year - instead, I plan to pursue a Master's degree in Bioethics before med school.

So. Assuming I get competitive grades for the next three years, do well on the MCAT, etc., how much do you think my freshman year will hurt me? Also, what information/documentation, if anything, will I have to provide about my illness? I have a paper trail, but I'd like to make sure I take care of any necessary paperwork as soon as possible. :)!
In general, lower grades freshman year and a semester with Ws is not going to negatively impact a future med school acceptance when subsequent academic excellence proves who is the real you. You can use a Secondary essay to explain the situation. Documentation isn't necessary, as your transcript will speak for you.

Just be sure you're really ready to jump back in the trenches when you return to school. If you judge your capabilities poorly and have another GPA dip, it won't look so good. When you have a bad situation like yours, you are expected to grow from it, gain self-assessment skills, and learn not to bite off more than you can chew.

Be aware that a service trip abroad will be deemed a far lesser experience compared to weekly, local, nonmedical community service to the poor with a prolonged duration.

100% concur.

In general, lower grades freshman year and a semester with Ws is not going to negatively impact a future med school acceptance when subsequent academic excellence proves who is the real you. You can use a Secondary essay to explain the situation. Documentation isn't necessary, as your transcript will speak for you.

Just be sure you're really ready to jump back in the trenches when you return to school. If you judge your capabilities poorly and have another GPA dip, it won't look so good. When you have a bad situation like yours, you are expected to grow from it, gain self-assessment skills, and learn not to bite off more than you can chew.

Be aware that a service trip abroad will be deemed a far lesser experience compared to weekly, local, nonmedical community service to the poor with a prolonged duration.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. :) I'm very confident that I'll be ready to go back next fall; I took a year off instead of a semester for that exact reason. I certainly think I'm growing from this experience, and I'll be sure to make the most of that when I return.

Also, thanks for the insight on extracurriculars. At school, I'm a Big Sister, so I spend a few hours a week mentoring a girl at an inner-city school, and I volunteer on the weekends at a service that helps people who are low-income, ESL, etc. apply to colleges and jobs and teaches them computer skills. I'll make sure to keep that up!