Bad grade in calculus...switch schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imistty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my second semester at a prestigious state university and I ended with a 2.8 GPA. I had a 3.2 GPA before I got a D in my calculus class (had a B in the class until the final screwed me over).

I am really sad that this D will be on my transcript forever. I actually did better in all my classes this semester compared to the last, but calc changed that.

I dont really know what to do right now. I was thinking that if I don't do well next semester, meaning get mostly A's, I will transfer to an easier university. Also, does it look bad if I retake calculus at a cc instead of my university.

One more thing, I believe that my anxiety has been getting in the way of my studying. I am going to the doctor soon, but is that something that I would tell adcoms about? I don't want it to be an excuse, but it really affected my school.

Members don't see this ad.

1) transferring to an easier university may be seen as just that; looking for something easier
2) retaking at a CC would be looked down upon but since most schools dont require calculus per se, it wont be an big impact.
3) Before you consider medical school or possibly even continuing in college, you need to seek professional help in gaining control of your anxiety. You do not want this to pull you down more in the future

But i thought that medical schools don't consider the school you went to. that is one of the reasons I want to switch to an easier uni

But i thought that medical schools don't consider the school you went to. that is one of the reasons I want to switch to an easier uni

I think it's a misconception that adcoms don't consider your school. For example someone at Harvard versus someone at StateU with a similar GPA will probably be more competitive. Adcoms are people too, if a school is more prestigious/known to be difficult I'm sure it plays a role in influencing their decision.

I think what most people mean by "medical schools don't consider your school" is that they won't fault you for your academic background and won't explicitly have a system to compensate for a most "difficult" school because it is difficult to be fair in quantifying that. They'd definitely notice if you clearly switched to an easier university for a GPA boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a misconception that adcoms don't consider your school. For example someone at Harvard versus someone at StateU with a similar GPA will probably be more competitive. Adcoms are people too, if a school is more prestigious/known to be difficult I'm sure it plays a role in influencing their decision.

I think what most people mean by "medical schools don't consider your school" is that they won't fault you for your academic background and won't explicitly have a system to compensate for a most "difficult" school because it is difficult to be fair in quantifying that. They'd definitely notice if you clearly switched to an easier university for a GPA boost.
I see. So do you think it would be worth switching universities if I stay in the 2.8-3.4 gpa range? I think that if I was able to get a 3.5 GPA or higher next semester, I wouldn't make the switch

One more thing, I believe that my anxiety has been getting in the way of my studying. I am going to the doctor soon, but is that something that I would tell adcoms about? I don't want it to be an excuse, but it really affected my school.

You would frame it as a "this is what got me down initially, but check out the wild success I had after I got it treated, and it's totally no longer inhibiting my work" thing. It is extremely important to have that second part about success in there.