"bad" programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-j-

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, this is a junior med student talking, so sorry for any offense my question may cause. I'm really trying to research the EM programs out there and figure out which ones are good ones. I've talked to a couple EM residents and for the most part, it seems that most all of the programs nationwide are good. That being said, I was also advised to stay away from the "bad" ones. Any idea which programs they're talking about and why?

-j-

ps. Hope I didn't start any mudslinging. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

See ROL list thread.. All of the programs you see ranked #1 by ANYONE are the "bad" programs. Seriously... truth is you cant even take anything from that. I would take Sheerstress' advice on this..

In truth, the closest thing to a "bad" EM program are those that have had accreditation problems in recent times, and even there things are starting to look better:

Go with fit and location!

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the In 'n Out Program did not fill last year. Maybe Dr. McF didn't rank enough applicants.

-j- said:
Hey all, this is a junior med student talking, so sorry for any offense my question may cause. I'm really trying to research the EM programs out there and figure out which ones are good ones. I've talked to a couple EM residents and for the most part, it seems that most all of the programs nationwide are good. That being said, I was also advised to stay away from the "bad" ones. Any idea which programs they're talking about and why?

-j-

ps. Hope I didn't start any mudslinging. :confused:
There are really no such things as "bad" programs. All programs are good at training, although some are better than others. The RRC keeps strict control and a tight watch over the residency programs. If a residency program isn't offering enough procedures, resuscitations, etc. to its residents, then it will lose its accreditation.

You just need to find out which programs fit you the best. This can be a combination of things: academics, lectures, research, ED being computerized, new ED, how you like the city, how your spouse likes the city, nearby cities, sporting teams, etc. Whatever you are into will influence where you go moreso than the program itself.

To add to southerdoc.. If you are interested in certain aspects of EM like flight, US, EMS, Peds etc some programs are most def stronger than others.

And then of course there's the personal impression. I mean who wants to be in the same program as Ectopic, really? :p

dude even i dont want to be in the same program as me... hmm how do I manage that? Shoot! But seriously... if you dont know how to post pad.. dont apply wherever I end up!

EctopicFetus said:
dude even i dont want to be in the same program as me... hmm how do I manage that? Shoot! But seriously... if you dont know how to post pad.. dont apply wherever I end up!

I say wherever you end up, you begin a postpadding conference (national) of course so that I can come too.

EctopicFetus said:

I also would like to nominate myself as treasurer...I'm pretty good with money :)

Done... hmm are you trustworthy? you seem to excited to collect the $995 fee.. hmm.. ok we will embezzle it.. 50/50!!

EctopicFetus said:
Done... hmm are you trustworthy? you seem to excited to collect the $995 fee.. hmm.. ok we will embezzle it.. 50/50!!

sounds good to me. We'll say its a paper cost....

Dude have you seen what the government pays for Toilets.. $995 should cover the cost of paper clips ;)

EctopicFetus said:
Dude have you seen what the government pays for Toilets.. $995 should cover the cost of paper clips ;)
The line from Independence Day was onto something: "You don't think they pay $500 for a toilet seat, $3000 for a hammer do ya?"

When you see the government paying those high prices, you can rest assured it's "cost recovery" for secretive projects whose components cannot be listed. So instead of a supplier charging $995 for an electronics board, it can charge $995 for the cost of paper clips. The public is so outraged by this that they spend all their thoughts on wondering how the government could be so wasteful without ever thinking what the government could be doing instead of paying outrageous prices for things they can get at a local hardware store for much, much cheaper.