Bad Semester Junior Year; Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BiranM54

MS State CVM c/o 2026!
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm a week out from finishing my junior year and this semester has been subpar, to put it simply. I had to withdraw from a 500-level course (will be replacing it with a 400-level in the coming fall) and I'm close to failing organic chemistry II and nutrition.

My main questions here are:
-How do vet schools look upon summer courses? I'm planning to retake orgo this summer but don't want to kill my chances come application time.
-Do vet schools care about "honors college" status? My transcript will reflect that I withdrew from the Honors College on campus and I'm considering it right now.

My overall GPA excluding the current semester is a 3.498, and retaking the chemistry class will salvage my GPA from that disaster, as only the retaken grade will count towards it.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard for summer courses being an issue. I retook two different prerequisites during the summer and it wasn't a problem. I'm sure other people have taken or retaken classes in the summer as well. It's the same class and the same material... just accelerated.

Can't really speak to the honors college thing.

My overall GPA excluding the current semester is a 3.498, and retaking the chemistry class will salvage my GPA from that disaster, as only the retaken grade will count towards it.

I just want to point of that although your transcript GPA will only reflect the new grade, you should look at how the schools you're applying to calculate GPAs. This varies by school and some will count both attempts when determining your cumulative GPA.

Reactions: 1 users