Bad Start!! Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fighter1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshmen year and my GPA is 3.25. But the thing withdrew from calculus the first time and then a I got D the next time (just didnt managed my time well) However, I did well in my science classes so far (2As and 1 B). Do med schools look at BCP or BCPM GPA? If they look at BCPM, do I still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my freshmen year and my GPA is 3.25. But the thing withdrew from calculus the first time and then a I got D the next time (just didnt managed my time well) However, I did well in my science classes so far (2As and 1 B). Do med schools look at BCP or BCPM GPA? If they look at BCPM, do I still have a chance?

You do have a chance. I think you might need to retake calc to get a c or above... Two more years, bust your hump, it's possible but will be a super challenge.

Good luck.

A 3.25 is not bad, people have done worse (me) and turned it around. You should be able to adjust quickly to the difficulty of courses now, because it only gets harder! Pull off a 3.8 BCPM (give or take) and you'll be fine. Bust your butt and don't stop! Best of luck.

Your math, biology, chem, and physics grades are all put together by AMCAS, the med school application service, to create the BCMP GPA. All other grades are put into a separate calculation. Both numbers need to be good.

Clearly, you're not a math person, but fortunately there are many med schools that allow you to take statistics instead of calc to fulfill prerequisites. Try to focus better and improve your time management. You can dig yourself out of your current GPA hole, since you're a freshman, but another year of similiar performance, and may find yourself needing to apply later (as only 6 semesters of grades are calculated if you apply at the usual time after junior year) to get your GPA into a competitive range (recall that a 3.6 is average for med school admissions). If you really want to be a doctor, straight As should be your goal.