Balancing MCAT with school work...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal:

I have a full-time job this summer which leaves ample time for very leisurely, no-problems-just-content-review studying.

I'm abroad from end of September to end of December = no studying.

Classes start first week of January, and I'll be in school straight until June 13th (minus one week spring break). I'll be taking two lab classes each quarter, and working ~20-25 hours/week (plus 2 other classes). Part of that will be TAing bio courses, so nice chance for review.

I'm planning on taking the MCAT July ~18th-ish (whatever the actual date is) and planning on leaving the country for a year-long job abroad.

So I'll have ~1 month of nothing but studying right before the MCAT. What should I do until then? How should I structure my time? I highly doubt I will have time for any more than 1-2 hours of MCAT studying a day, definitely not 7 days/week during classes. I could probably do 3-4 weekdays and Saturdays.

Organize my life! I beg you!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the deal:

I have a full-time job this summer which leaves ample time for very leisurely, no-problems-just-content-review studying.

I'm abroad from end of September to end of December = no studying.

Classes start first week of January, and I'll be in school straight until June 13th (minus one week spring break). I'll be taking two lab classes each quarter, and working ~20-25 hours/week (plus 2 other classes). Part of that will be TAing bio courses, so nice chance for review.

I'm planning on taking the MCAT July ~18th-ish (whatever the actual date is) and planning on leaving the country for a year-long job abroad.

So I'll have ~1 month of nothing but studying right before the MCAT. What should I do until then? How should I structure my time? I highly doubt I will have time for any more than 1-2 hours of MCAT studying a day, definitely not 7 days/week during classes. I could probably do 3-4 weekdays and Saturdays.

Organize my life! I beg you!

Alright so here goes, since you are getting Bio TA review already you won't need to reiterate much bio content review. Although always go over some review no matter how long or short its better to hit everything than nothing at all. Secondly due to your intense schedule I advise during your spring semester hit up at least 10-20 hrs of studying during the week. More on the weekends if possible, studying can be hard with work and stuff. Lastly that last month as the OP said hit up Full lenght tests and review what you are doing wrong.

Spring Semester: CONTENT REVIEW AND PROBLEMS
Last Month: DO FULL LENGTH TESTS AND GO OVER WEAKNESS, AND JUST PRACTICE THAT MUCH. WEAKNESS NEED TO BE FIXED ALWAYS AND WORK ON PACING.

Hope that helps good luck!

Just realize that the Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences of the MCAT come down to 2 things: knowing the concepts, and working with passages comfortably. IF you have all the concepts down (I mean you can explain any of them to a grade school kid) then you just need to do a lot of practice tests and go over procedural errors. Best of luck!

Thanks guys... looks like I'll be spending a lot of lonely nights in the library this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys... looks like I'll be spending a lot of lonely nights in the library this year.

Don't worry if I have to retake the MCAT I have the same course load as you except in fall so I will be isolating myself from my friends and just being in the library as well. :scared: