Barry U BMS Master's Program Fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adw14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a current student in the Biomedical Sciences Master's program at Barry University in Hollywood, Fl. I'm on the medical track and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about this program!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! I'm a current student in the Biomedical Sciences Master's program at Barry University in Hollywood, Fl. I'm on the medical track and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about this program!

What's the success rate of students matriculating into med school after completing this program?

What's life like living in that part of Florida? Is it expensive? Can you afford the time to have a job while in this program?

What's the success rate of students matriculating into med school after completing this program?

What's life like living in that part of Florida? Is it expensive? Can you afford the time to have a job while in this program?

I'm not sure the percentage (it may be available on the website), but most students who complete the program with a decent GPA (3.7 and above) received multiple acceptances.

Living in south Florida is really nice, amazing weather close to the beaches, all types of food, with a ton of culture, attractions and nightlife. As for the cost of living, it is a metropolitan area so it could be more or less depending on what type of city you are used to. Most people live in Hollywood or in surrounding areas - Plantation, Sunrise, North Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

As for having a job, I would say it's possible if you only have a part time job with a set schedule, but I would not recommend having a full time job in the program.

I hope that answered your questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am also on the medical track at Barry's Biomedical sciences masters program. I can also answer any questions you may have!

Hello! I am also on the medical track at Barry's Biomedical sciences masters program. I can also answer any questions you may have!

When will you be complete with the program? When are you applying to new school? When do you make time to study for the mcat? Do you feel supported by the staff; are you able to have one on one time with them? Are they helpful with medical school applications, i.e. Give recommendations?
Do students do other things in Miami to enhance their application such as shadowing, research, volunteering? Is Barry supportive in assisting students gain these positions?

When will you be complete with the program? When are you applying to new school? When do you make time to study for the mcat? Do you feel supported by the staff; are you able to have one on one time with them? Are they helpful with medical school applications, i.e. Give recommendations?
Do students do other things in Miami to enhance their application such as shadowing, research, volunteering? Is Barry supportive in assisting students gain these positions?

Applying to medical school **

Do you recommend this program for future MD students

Do masters students have access to the main undergraduate campus? For Study halls or library?

@AMforMD Here are the answers to your questions! :)

When will you be complete with the program? When are you applying to new school? When do you make time to study for the mcat? Do you feel supported by the staff; are you able to have one on one time with them? Are they helpful with medical school applications, i.e. Give recommendations? Do students do other things in Miami to enhance their application such as shadowing, research, volunteering? Is Barry supportive in assisting students gain these positions?

I will be done with the program this upcoming fall semester. I started in the fall of 2016. I am applying to medical school on June 2018 (2019 cycle). I am aiming for a very high mcat score so I decided to graduate first, so I can focus only on the MCAT. However, many students will take classes in fall and spring, and utilize the summer to study for the mcat, take it, and then continue their classes in the fall and spring again. The faculty are incredibly supportive. I was so taken aback by this, since I came from a school of 60,000 students and only one or two professors knew who I was. The faculty are all medical professionals, and some are still practicing so they know what we’re going through. One professor told us “I am not here to put an obstacle in your way, I’m here to help you achieve your goals”. That has stuck with me since that first day of class. They all have office hours, and definitely are willing to write letters of recommendation. Some have certain requirements or criteria that you need to meet, but it really isn’t anything crazy or unattainable. Almost all students are still enhancing their resumes with shadowing, scribing, research, etc. Medical schools like to see that you’ve continued to pursue medical activities even in graduate school. There are several clubs that always sign up for volunteer events and find shadowing opportunities for students. The entire program provides many resources for us to succeed, but the most important thing is that you have to actively pursue these opportunities, put in the work in your classes, and get to know your professors. Barry is an amazing program, but they will not spoon feed you, which is a misconception I have seen a few times.

Do you recommend this program for future MD students

I honestly would recommend this program for future MD students for several reasons. I know that there are many special masters programs that have a direct link to their medical school, which I did have interest in, but after speaking to advisors and mentors, choosing Barry was the best thing I could have done. First and foremost, because there is no competition for a certain amount of seats, the overall atmosphere is very supportive. No one is competing with anyone for the highest grade, or for a seat somewhere, everyone competes with themselves. If you want to enhance your resume even further, by retaking the MCAT or doing more shadowing, leadership opportunities, you have that option as well. Also, the course work is very tailored to future MD students. When you go to medical school, you would have already gone through the process of learning to manage time, and how to study for gross anatomy and physiology. You’re going to hit the ground running. Some of the graduates have done so well in Medical/dental schools that those schools continue to accept the students who do this program. Now, if you have a specific goal in mind (such as getting into a specific school), then you obviously have to tailor yourself to that school.

Do masters students have access to the main undergraduate campus? For Study halls or library?

Yes absolutely. Although our campus is 20 minutes away, you have full access to everything in the main campus. I personally study a lot in the main campus library. They have private study rooms which have extended hours for grad students. There's also a 24 hour student hall at the main campus. You’ll have parking access for both campuses as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Do students usually finish the MS first than take the MCAT or do they take the MCAT while being enrolled in the program? Also are you able to work during the MS?