Baylor Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popupr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any word lately anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

not yet...still waiting :(

mdgirl2006 said:
not yet...still waiting :(

Nothing here. Interviewed Oct. 21st. How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
JG198 said:
Nothing here. Interviewed Oct. 21st. How about you guys?

Not yet for me either. I called Baylor today to check on my transcripts. They're still missing one. Hopefully that's the reason I haven't heard from them (keeping my fingers crossed)

ClearDay said:
Not yet for me either. I called Baylor today to check on my transcripts. They're still missing one. Hopefully that's the reason I haven't heard from them (keeping my fingers crossed)

How long have they been missing it? I recall reading at one point you'd already sent one copy that they hadn't received. Is it possible that it could be under another name? (I don't know if you're a guy or a girl, married ot not or anything). I just remember that they didn't have one of my transcripts, even though I had sent it in well in advance. Turns out it was under my maiden name. Even though they have all that info, they just didn't match it up. If that's a possibility, check into it.

ms. a said:
How long have they been missing it? I recall reading at one point you'd already sent one copy that they hadn't received. Is it possible that it could be under another name? (I don't know if you're a guy or a girl, married ot not or anything). I just remember that they didn't have one of my transcripts, even though I had sent it in well in advance. Turns out it was under my maiden name. Even though they have all that info, they just didn't match it up. If that's a possibility, check into it.

Thanks ms. a - I think my transcript request got lost in the mail because my college has no record of it. I'm requesting another one.

ClearDay said:
Thanks ms. a - I think my transcript request got lost in the mail because my college has no record of it. I'm requesting another one.
Do you have to submit an extra transcript to Baylor?( I assumed if you send it to AMCAS, that should be fine, right?)

DesiMcatAcer said:
Do you have to submit an extra transcript to Baylor?( I assumed if you send it to AMCAS, that should be fine, right?)

Baylor doesn't need your transcript(s) to grant an interview, they just can't offer an acceptance w/o it/them.

ClearDay said:
Baylor doesn't need your transcript(s) to grant an interview, they just can't offer an acceptance w/o it/them.
Oh ok, thanks...

Yeah, there may be a little mis-filing here and there. When I called to be sure they got my transcripts, it sounded like they might have had an extra one in there that wasn't mine. I'm really curious to know, though, about whether they've made decisions and just haven't called or sent out the letters (based on Jubilee's [I think] story). I was tempted to ask if a decision had been made yet, but I figure I'll find out when I find out. Good luck, everybody...

I'm in the same boat. Interviewed a week and a half ago and no word yet. I'm an out-of-state applicant, though, so I'm not sure how high my chances are anyway. Is there a policy for/against calling to find out the pre-interview status of one's application?

Thanks. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

yea the wait is killing me!

popupr said:
yea the wait is killing me!

Opacha got a call today at 1:40 PM. He interviewed on 9/9 (first interview day). So it looks like they are calling people.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, hobbes, i think that only makes my waiting worse. c'moooooon, baylor....

awwww, congrats to him/her!!!!!! I wish they would give me a call............ you know, this wait is making me dislike myself. I hate that I keep on wanting to check for missed calls. Hum, this process reminds me lot of the uncomfortable teenage years, girls get all dolled up anxiously wait for our secret crush to notice us.

lilxixi said:
awwww, congrats to him/her!!!!!! I wish they would give me a call............ you know, this wait is making me dislike myself. I hate that I keep on wanting to check for missed calls. Hum, this process reminds me lot of the uncomfortable teenage years, girls get all dolled up anxiously wait for our secret crush to notice us.

Ya...I'm starting to get convinced that I'll end up on the bad end of that 50% number accepted number. I interviewed 10/7 tho...and its only been a month since they could accept people. But still, I'm pretty convinced I'll end up not getting in. Waiting is driving me nuts too.

bobito said:
Ya...I'm starting to get convinced that I'll end up on the bad end of that 50% number accepted number. I interviewed 10/7 tho...and its only been a month since they could accept people. But still, I'm pretty convinced I'll end up not getting in. Waiting is driving me nuts too.

Yeah I know guys it's tough. I also interviewed on 10/7 and have yet to receive word. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear.

lilxixi said:

Imagine being on the other side of things, where we had to make our crushes known and hope we didn't get shot down too backhandedly. haha, we had a conversation about that over here the other day about intermediate school relationships...using notes to ask people out, relationships that lasted a day, and so on and so forth....ahhh, good times....i guess.....

Got a call yesterday, so they are still calling

SeraphMoon said:
Got a call yesterday, so they are still calling

Congrats! - when did you interview?

SeraphMoon said:

Well guys, the wait (and I thought it would never end) is finally over for me! I got accepted to Baylor College of Medicine by a call from Dr. Major Bradshaw at 3 PM CST while I was in microbiology class. I'm going to be a doctor! :) :) :) For those of you still waiting, hang in there! I interviewed on October 7th for those of you who are interested.

hobbesiscool said:
Well guys, the wait (and I thought it would never end) is finally over for me! I got accepted to Baylor College of Medicine by a call from Dr. Major Bradshaw at 3 PM CST while I was in microbiology class. I'm going to be a doctor! :) :) :) For those of you still waiting, hang in there! I interviewed on October 7th for those of you who are interested.

Thats awesome. Congrats on getting in.

bobito said:
Thats awesome. Congrats on getting in.

Thanks so much to everyone on SDN for their support and encouragement throughout these times. I really could not have done it without each and every one of you guys.

hobbesiscool said:
Thanks so much to everyone on SDN for their support and encouragement throughout these times. I really could not have done it without each and every one of you guys.
Nice going Hobbes! I knew you'd get word! Maybe we'll be tank mates ;) :)

Congrats to everyone who has heard the good news from Baylor :thumbup:
I have been reading for a while and rooting for you guys. I hope to join you soon as this place is my top choice but, I have not recieved one of those elusive calls yet (Interviewed really early but may not have a high enough MCAT, as its a little below their average). Anyway congrats and thanks Ms. A. and MadameLuLu your posts have been most helpful.

-FastForward

FastForward said:
I have been reading for a while and rooting for you guys. I hope to join you soon as this place is my top choice but, I have not recieved one of those elusive calls yet (Interviewed really early but may not have a high enough MCAT, as its a little below their average). Anyway congrats and thanks Ms. A. and MadameLuLu your posts have been most helpful.

-FastForward

Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those still waiting (myself included) :D

Since someone mentioned the MCAT.... can the people who got in share their MCAT score and residency status (in/out of state). PM me if you don't want to post it.

Thanks!

FastForward said:

-FastForward

Don't worry--I think It's still early in the process. :luck: :luck:

ClearDay said:
Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those still waiting (myself included) :D

Since someone mentioned the MCAT.... can the people who got in share their MCAT score and residency status (in/out of state). PM me if you don't want to post it.

Thanks!

Good luck to you too ClearDay. Hopefully they will make calls again tommorrow and we will both hear but, I think they have already called two day this week. Anyway Good :luck:

hobbesiscool said:

CONGRATS hobbes!

Ha, so Dr. Major Bradshaw is finally back from his little overseas jaunt, eh? Congrats, hobbes - welcome to the club.

has anyone who interviewed in november heard?

popupr said:
I dunno, I interviewed late October.. Haven't heard. Come on BCM call meeeeee

gcomplex7 said:
I dunno, I interviewed late October.. Haven't heard. Come on BCM call meeeeee

Same here... Interviewed late October (21st) and no word yet.

So, everyone who is allllll gung-ho about BCM - wanna tell me why? PM if you like or post here.

seilienne said:
So, everyone who is allllll gung-ho about BCM - wanna tell me why? PM if you like or post here.

not really (that is i don't wanna tell you why)

seilienne said:
So why bother posting?

to answer your question, and i'm really bored of studying

seilienne said:

I think they have an awesome curriculum, they are in TX (I'm a resident so, it is an awesome deal for me), I like their people, it is in the TMC, and it felt like a good fit for me. Seilienne, you were admitted right? If so congrats! I'm still waiting for hear but, maybe we will be classmates come July.

Affirmative, FastForward. . . but since I've been a West-Coaster since I was 4 (WA then various parts of CA) and my parents are nouveau East-Coasters, I'm trying to gather a stockpile of info that might convince me to overcome my stereotypes and actually move to TX. It's mostly the heat/humidity and the urban-ness off Houston that are the biggest drawbacks I've noted thus far, but the school itself is awesome. I just wish it were in, say, Virginia or NorCal. ;)

seilienne said:

seilienne said:
Affirmative, FastForward. . . but since I've been a West-Coaster since I was 4 (WA then various parts of CA) and my parents are nouveau East-Coasters, I'm trying to gather a stockpile of info that might convince me to overcome my stereotypes and actually move to TX. It's mostly the heat/humidity and the urban-ness off Houston that are the biggest drawbacks I've noted thus far, but the school itself is awesome. I just wish it were in, say, Virginia or NorCal. ;)

Maybe for you as a west-coaster, being used to 70 degree weather 365 days a year, it might be a bit different at first, but i don't think it is as unbearable as people make it out to be (of course, this is coming from a person who has lived in texas his whole life). We're going to be medical students doing stuff indoors most of the time, so it shouldn't be as big a deal as you might think.

Things that I really like about BCM:

1)The clinical affiliations (Ben Taub, VA, St. Luke's, TCH, Menninger Clinic, TIRR, etc.) in world famous TMC are all awesome
2)1 and a half years of basic sciences and 2 and a half years of rotations rock (apparently this helps your residency applications and helps you to do better on Step 1 USMLE)
3)Baylor students I've met all seem really smart but at the same time pretty laid back
4)BCM has a great reputation amongst residency directors, which will be useful when we apply for residencies
5)Baylor students have top 5 in the country board scores, another residency boost
6)Tuition,especially for a private school, is an amazing deal
7)I think nearly 50-60 out of the 149 people that matched for residencies from Baylor ended up staying there for residency, showing that they like to take back their own for residencies; Match lists are also impressive, with traditionally hard to get into specialties like dermatology, ENT (11 last year!), ophtho, etc. doing pretty well
8)Cost of living in Texas is really cheap
9)Classes are mostly 8-12 PM; all lectures are recorded on video, and can be readily downloaded in real media format to view at your leisure
10)community service options as med students are also really good

These are some of the things I could think off the top of my head.

popupr said:

Hang in there guys. It took 5 weeks and 6 days for my call to come (interviewed 10/7 and heard back 11/17), and for a few people at my university, it took nearly 9 weeks (interviewed on 9/9 and heard back on 11/16). I think it's still fairly with the acceptance stuff. The best advice I can give you right now is to realize you've done your part; the motto i take is "Do your best, leave the rest to God." It helped me a lot, knowing that I've given my best, and although I have to admit I still used to check my cell phone and SDN all the time (to see if other people were getting in), at least I had some kind of peace of mind. I know that's really hard to put this into practice, but if you have that attitude, it makes the waiting game a bit easier. Good luck to all of you guys waiting to hear and I'll be rooting for and praying for you.

seilienne said:

Well, you probably are used to the traffic. I think its bad in Houston but, comparable to many major cities. Definitely not as bad as in LA. The few times I have been there it seemed it is primarily rush hour that you need to worry about. The other thing people seem to complain about is the heat and humidity. I used to live in the north (but have been in TX ~10 years) and it takes some getting used to but, everyone has air conditioning. I guess your power bill will not be too attractive but, we make up for it in the winter and spring. Anyway, I bet since you heard from BCM so early you are going to have many choices. On the whole, I do prefer Dallas as a city more but, if I get in I am going to go with my gut and choose Baylor because it is the best fit for me and I can adjust to living in Houston. It is not like there isn't anything to do and maybe some of the students who post here can attest to what they do for fun. Good luck with your choice.

I've lived in Houston forever - and it's really not that bad. If you get over the fact that theres nothing green to see here it's an awesome place. You can't beat the restaurants here and there's lots of fun places to go out (The village and downtown). I thought the life around Houston slideshow at Baylor was pretty good.

This is all really helpful - thanks guys. Traffic I'm not worried about (*snort* If I can drive on the 405 and the 101 from LAX on the evening before Thanksgiving, I think I can handle anything), and the plus side of the heat is that I can run in winter without having to wear a parka and earmuffs. Hm.

Well, so far it's not a hard decision cuz I've only got that one letter - but if it comes down to it you all are DEFINITELY maintaining BCM as really high on my list.

Thanks!