Baylor Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've worked in the TX Med Center for several years now and I don't think the traffic here is really all that bad. In fact I'd say don't worry about it at all, especially since you'll likely be living in the TMC area.

Winters here are mild - I think last Christmas Eve was the first time in 15 years that it snowed a significant amount. Summers are hot - some may say unbearably hot in July/August, but you'll be indoors most of the time. I don't remember the temps going over 100 that often this summer anyway.

As for the actual TMC, I get an entirely different feel in the area than I do from the rest of Houston (that's a good thing) since it's so concentrated with healthcare professionals, a good number of whom may be from other countries. I know a Baylor student from California who's convinced that if he of all people could grow to love living in Houston, then anyone can.

Good luck with whatever school y'all choose.

Members don't see this ad.

potato51 said:
I've worked in the TX Med Center for several years now and I don't think the traffic here is really all that bad. In fact I'd say don't worry about it at all, especially since you'll likely be living in the TMC area.

Winters here are mild - I think last Christmas Eve was the first time in 15 years that it snowed a significant amount. Summers are hot - some may say unbearably hot in July/August, but you'll be indoors most of the time. I don't remember the temps going over 100 that often this summer anyway.

As for the actual TMC, I get an entirely different feel in the area than I do from the rest of Houston (that's a good thing) since it's so concentrated with healthcare professionals, a good number of whom may be from other countries. I know a Baylor student from California who's convinced that if he of all people could grow to love living in Houston, then anyone can.

Good luck with whatever school y'all choose.

so I'm another baylor student from california, reasons I love baylor:

- people are super nice
- its probably the most stress free school
- the faculty care soooo much about you, for example one of the deans cares so much that she's become our "unofficial" class mom, and the amount of support and love our class has seen from her is truly like a mom
- its a top tier school, but thats not alone, its on a verge of a billion dollar expansion project including two new research towers and the 500,000 sq. ft state of the art ambulatory care center
- its affiliated with 7 world class hospitals
- the students average board scores are 235, (official ranking of board scores aren't stated, but the rumor is that this is the second highest in the nation)

MED_04 said:
so I'm another baylor student from california, reasons I love baylor:

- people are super nice
- its probably the most stress free school
- the faculty care soooo much about you, for example one of the deans cares so much that she's become our "unofficial" class mom, and the amount of support and love our class has seen from her is truly like a mom
- its a top tier school, but thats not alone, its on a verge of a billion dollar expansion project including two new research towers and the 500,000 sq. ft state of the art ambulatory care center
- its affiliated with 7 world class hospitals
- the students average board scores are 235, (official ranking of board scores aren't stated, but the rumor is that this is the second highest in the nation)

oh last but not least:

- you get instate tuition after a year which is about 11K/yr, compared to UCLA thats half the cost (prolly gonna be less than half with the our beloved arnold), which is what did it for me. Also living expenses are about half of what it would have cost for me to goto UCLA.
- my condo cost 60K for a 2/1 !!!

Members don't see this ad :)
MED_04 said:
oh last but not least:

- you get instate tuition after a year which is about 11K/yr, compared to UCLA thats half the cost (prolly gonna be less than half with the our beloved arnold), which is what did it for me. Also living expenses are about half of what it would have cost for me to goto UCLA.
I thought in-state tuition was $7k. :confused: And awesome news about the condo. :thumbup:

QofQuimica said:
I thought in-state tuition was $7k. :confused: And awesome news about the condo. :thumbup:

sorry yes instate tuition is 7K, but theres also a health insurance thats 2K, you don't have to get it if you have some other insurance, and there's 2K fees

i might be wrong about the exact numbers but all i know is that i'll be graduating having spent less than 45K on one of the best medical educations, thats the tuition on most of the private medical schools in one year!!!

seilienne said:
Affirmative, FastForward. . . but since I've been a West-Coaster since I was 4 (WA then various parts of CA) and my parents are nouveau East-Coasters, I'm trying to gather a stockpile of info that might convince me to overcome my stereotypes and actually move to TX. It's mostly the heat/humidity and the urban-ness off Houston that are the biggest drawbacks I've noted thus far, but the school itself is awesome. I just wish it were in, say, Virginia or NorCal. ;)
Why I love Baylor. Let me count the ways:

1. I really like it here in Houston (though everyone else thinks it sucks apparently). I’m from Dallas and though it’s a cleaner city, I think there is WAY more to do in Houston. This is mostly because Houston is so culturally diverse (much more so than Dallas). I, personally, like hanging out at the Asian spots (Bubble tea houses, Karaoke bars, Sushi places, KILLER Vietnamese places etc). If you like the country life, just go to the outskirts and ride horses! The clubs here are a lot of fun, there are Huka Bars, Any place you could possibly want to shop or eat EVER is in Houston, water parks (bye bye Astro world ) etc, etc. Pretty much if you want to do it, you can find it in Houston. If you can get over the heat/humidity and the fact that it’s really polluted and disorganized (no zoning laws) Houston is a really fun place to be.
2. Baylor is in the world famous Texas Medical Center. I think this is great for several reasons. Of course there are lots of opportunities in the TMC and you are going to be the first to learn about the newest procedures/ best technology. Also, since Baylor likes to keep its own, you can easily do a residency at one of these awesome hospitals.
3. The patient population: I’m a minority, so I think it’s important to work in close contact with minorities who need health care. Not only do you come in contact with diverse people (who really need health care) at Bin Taub, but many of the research professors have projects that directly effect minority health. The guy I interviewed with was studying the differences in how Diabetes affects African Americans vs. Hispanic Americans. Apparently the biological mechanism is quite different and these variations can be targeted so that minorities get specific treatment that better serves their needs. I don’t think other schools are so in touch with such a diverse community. On the flip side, if you want to see very rare pathology or treat diseases that you would not see in every-day hospitals, you can work at St. Luke, MD Anderson, or Methodist. Since these hospitals are so well known, people from all over the world go there for the best care.
4. The Students: I happen to know quite a few students at Baylor and at UT Houston, so it will be cool to keep in contact with my friends. Also, Baylor students seem to be MUCH more laid back than those at the other top 20 schools where I interviewed.
5. Streaming lectures: this is just beautiful
6. 18 months of basic sciences/ bad ass curriculum: Apparently it works because Baylor students kick ass on the step one.
7. Administration: I can already tell that Baylor’s administration really cares about the students. Last year I just waltzed into Dr. Phillips office because I knew I wanted to go to Baylor and I thought I’d get in contact with the administration early. That he just let me meet with him without knowing me AT ALL says a lot about the mentality there. Also, he got me connected to an awesome summer program that I didn’t even know about. When I went to his office and told him I had no definite plans for the summer, he immediately called Case Western and told them he had a student who would be attending their program that summer and who would have her application in the next day (he didn’t ask me, but whatever). It turned out to be an awesome experience! I can’t imagine many schools have admins who would do this for a perfect stranger.

Really, I could write a freakin book, but I’ll stop here. In a nut shell: Baylor is bad ass and anyone who gets in would be lucky to go there.

You guys are so effing cool. Lady_Jubilee: you're doing a great job of increasing the chances we'll be classmates next year! And you're def. right about the staff - I could tell Dr. Michael was a great guy within the first 2 minutes of his presentation, and I did feel really comfortable there. Oh yeah, and I checked out your myspace: you're gorgeous! Med_04 - if I DO go to BCM I'm definitely following your example and buying a condo or townhouse and I can prob afford something like $15k as a down-payment so I'm thinking of something between $60-75k total for a 2/1 or a 1/1. Do you have any recommendations of areas in which I should look? PM me if you prefer.
Again - thanks all. ::glee::

MED_04 said:
oh last but not least:

I'm really interested in going to school down south and am wondering around how much I should be expecting to pay for a downpayment on a condo/townhome. Could you tell me a bit?

Thanks!

oh, and to ease some tension out there, it seems like no one from the 10/21 and later groups have been contacted. well, at least from what i've seen. good luck!

I've already told you my reasons for liking Baylor, seilienne, and most of them have been cited by other people: shorter classroom time, cheap tuition, cheap COL, supportive staff. But I'd like to add to the list that if you want to do research (which I do), Baylor is very strong in that area as well. MD Anderson is phenomenal; we've had some of their researchers visit here to give talks. :thumbup: And don't worry about the weather; you definitely would get used to the heat, just like northerners get used to the cold. You just learn not to do things like go for a 10K run at 2 PM in August. ;)

10k? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. I do 10Ks before breakfast.

(I'm kidding. I think my longest run so far topped out at 9 miles and I prob only average 5)

seilienne said:
10k? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. I do 10Ks before breakfast.

(I'm kidding. I think my longest run so far topped out at 9 miles and I prob only average 5)
Well, I am only being semi-facetious. I've trained for and run two marathons, and I can tell you that it's a very bad idea to run 20+ miles on a summer afternoon ANYWHERE in the South. :p But if you really do go before breakfast (or indoors; I actually did my long runs on a treadmill b/c of the heat), you should be fine.

MED_04 said:

What is the name of your condo complex? Do you have a condo off Hepburn or el paseo?

I'm considering purchasing a condo, but im not so sure you can find condos for that price anymore...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I'd chime in about how impressive I think Baylor is. Talk about diversity (age, race, social status) and I happen to like Houston too!. But alas, I can't move (family) and I have asthma (which would make living in Houston tough according to my doc) so perhaps I'll have to settle a small stint at MD Anderson during a "winter" month one day! :(

Congrats to everybody!!! :thumbup:

lol i'd rather not put my address up on the web, u dunno whose out there!

look up condos on www.har.com

thats what i did, and yes there are condos going for that price now

goodeats said:
oh, and to ease some tension out there, it seems like no one from the 10/21 and later groups have been contacted. well, at least from what i've seen. good luck!

I also interviewed on 10/21, but haven't been waiting for the phone to ring since I couldn't get my univ. to send the transcript to Baylor. I just found out that Baylor now has all of my transcripts.... so my phone should be ringing any minute now. :D

OMG!!!!!!! I just got THE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have SO MUCH to be thankful for tomorrow!!

wow.

MED_04 said:
lol i'd rather not put my address up on the web, u dunno whose out there!

look up condos on www.har.com

thats what i did, and yes there are condos going for that price now

no need to worry...you and just about every 3rd baylor student live in condoland

Yeah, ive been to the har website...For those of you who want to look at condos specifically in condoland, go to the HAR website, click on townhomes/condos, highlight 17 (southwest) and type in 77054 in zipcode. Condoland is a popular location due to the proximity, but I've found some condos/townhomes in nicer areas so keep your options open.

Thanks Q.
I had no idea how much i would like Baylor until i visited. in fact, its the last school i added to my AMCAS.. but it shot way up to the top of my list during interview weekend.
right now, this is my #1.

my reasons: low tuition and cost of living, 1.5 yrs basic science=lots of flexibility w/ electives, great matches (of course), and general happiness of students.... and I could possibly be classmates with you all next year!

SeattlePostBach said:
Thanks Q.
I had no idea how much i would like Baylor until i visited. in fact, its the last school i added to my AMCAS.. but it shot way up to the top of my list during interview weekend.

my reasons: low tuition and cost of living, 1.5 yrs basic science=lots of flexibility w/ electives, great matches (of course), and general happiness of students.... and I could possibly be classmates with you all next year!

Congrat, SeattlePostBach!

SeattlePostBach said:
Thanks Q.
That was how I felt, too. Baylor was the first interview I went on where I felt really excited about the school and the idea of going there. I think that you and I are destined to be classmates....unless you go to Stanford. :D

seilienne said:
You guys are so effing cool. Lady_Jubilee: you're doing a great job of increasing the chances we'll be classmates next year! And you're def. right about the staff - I could tell Dr. Michael was a great guy within the first 2 minutes of his presentation, and I did feel really comfortable there. Oh yeah, and I checked out your myspace: you're gorgeous! Med_04 - if I DO go to BCM I'm definitely following your example and buying a condo or townhouse and I can prob afford something like $15k as a down-payment so I'm thinking of something between $60-75k total for a 2/1 or a 1/1. Do you have any recommendations of areas in which I should look? PM me if you prefer.
Again - thanks all. ::glee::
Aw, thanks for the compliment. You should definitely consider Baylor, it's an awesome school (and the prospect of not being in horrible debt when you are done is a plus). I hope we're classmates! Go where your heart is, I know I am.

SeattlePostBach said:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow.
CONGRATS!!! Welcome to Texas! :thumbup: :clap: :clap:

SeattlePostBach said:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

When was your interview? Were all of your transcripts turned in at your interview, or did you send them in later. (If so, how soon after they got them did you receive your call?)

LaDoctorFutura said:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

When was your interview? Were all of your transcripts turned in at your interview, or did you send them in later. (If so, how soon after they got them did you receive your call?)
I was supposed to interview during the same weekend hurricane rite was hitting land, but because of that got moved to Nov 4 (2.5 weeks ago).
All my transcripts were sent in before the interview day.

QofQuimica said:
MD Anderson is phenomenal

MD Anderson is actually "tied" to UT-Houston, not Baylor. No worries though, as Baylor has *gobs* of world class research.

I lived an hour south of Houston from 1995-2001, and now I'm at Baylor for residency. Many folks who come visit me from faraway are shocked to see the this city has trees. I tell them they're thinking of El Paso.

Anyways, I really enjoy living here, and I thought I'd throw in my two cents about Houston:

1. Cost of living - trust me, it's nice to pay your rent each month and still be able to afford a pint of ale.

2. Diversity - In addition to having large African American and Hispanic populations, Houston is/was a major immigration port from Asia. Hence, if you dig Asian/Indian culture, we got it. Germans were also big on settling Texas back in the day, which can be appreciated here.

3. Weather - It's true, we bake our gonads off here from late May to early September. But guess what? Most places have some form of crappy weather for at least three months a year. We just hide in the air conditioning (most places are kept pretty frigid during the summer months) and the twilight, and we get to wear shorts in December as payoff.

4. TMC - Unbelievable (in a good way). Too bad parking sucks, but most apartment complexes in the vicinity run shuttles to and from.

5. Sports - We got pretty much everything except curling. Also, I hear we might be getting an NFL team next year.

6. Food - Houston has among the highest per capita number of restaurants and highest rate of going out to eat. Couple that with the diversity (see #2) and you've got the perfect storm of kickass dining.

7. Beverage - Two Row's in Rice Village has dollar pints Saturdays noon to four, and all day Sundays. And let's not forget Wednesday, which is pint night. And that's just one of the many fine establishments where you can drink until you throw up on yourself. Yeeha!

8. Public transportation - This does suck in Houston, although there is finally some light rail. You can now cruise downtown and hit La Carafe (813 Congress St.), drink until you throw up on yourself, and still get home without having to drive. Yeeha!

Wow. that's really awesome. i'm definitely looking forward to drinking and puking on myself all through medical school. :rolleyes:

That's factually incorrect, MD Anderson is part of the UT system and is not "tied" with UT-Houston.

Baylor and MD Anderson have combined programs, including their neurosurgery program

http://www.bcm.edu/news/packages/sawaya.cfm

MED_04 said:
That's factually incorrect, MD Anderson is part of the UT system and is not "tied" with UT-Houston.

Baylor and MD Anderson have combined programs, including their neurosurgery program

http://www.bcm.edu/news/packages/sawaya.cfm

That's why I put "tied" in quotation marks, simply to imply that if you want to do research at MD Anderson then you'd be better off attending med school under the UT system (i.e. UT-Houston), not Baylor. I did not mean to say that MD Anderson and Baylor have zero connection - they most certainly do, but it is not a strong affiliation at this point in time. Perhaps I should have been more clear.

That said, with the Baylor-Methodist "divorce" there has been a lot of change at the TMC in terms of making and breaking affiliations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the neurosurgery program you mention was formed out of necessity in the wake of the Methodist split. I do believe that this is going to result in a lot of good in the long term (for everyone), but progress often involves pain and uncertainty.

In summary, Baylor and the TMC kick ass.

SeattlePostBach said:
Wow. that's really awesome. i'm definitely looking forward to drinking and puking on myself all through medical school. :rolleyes:

Let me pass on some advice that I got from a few physicians shortly before starting medical school: drink heavily.

anyone waiting on the coveted call? i got all of my transcripts in, and am hoping for an early christmas present.

all i want for christmas is...

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
Why I love Baylor. Let me count the ways:

1. I really like it here in Houston (though everyone else thinks it sucks apparently). I’m from Dallas and though it’s a cleaner city, I think there is WAY more to do in Houston. This is mostly because Houston is so culturally diverse (much more so than Dallas). I, personally, like hanging out at the Asian spots (Bubble tea houses, Karaoke bars, Sushi places, KILLER Vietnamese places etc). If you like the country life, just go to the outskirts and ride horses! The clubs here are a lot of fun, there are Huka Bars, Any place you could possibly want to shop or eat EVER is in Houston, water parks (bye bye Astro world ) etc, etc. Pretty much if you want to do it, you can find it in Houston. If you can get over the heat/humidity and the fact that it’s really polluted and disorganized (no zoning laws) Houston is a really fun place to be.
2. Baylor is in the world famous Texas Medical Center. I think this is great for several reasons. Of course there are lots of opportunities in the TMC and you are going to be the first to learn about the newest procedures/ best technology. Also, since Baylor likes to keep its own, you can easily do a residency at one of these awesome hospitals.
3. The patient population: I’m a minority, so I think it’s important to work in close contact with minorities who need health care. Not only do you come in contact with diverse people (who really need health care) at Bin Taub, but many of the research professors have projects that directly effect minority health. The guy I interviewed with was studying the differences in how Diabetes affects African Americans vs. Hispanic Americans. Apparently the biological mechanism is quite different and these variations can be targeted so that minorities get specific treatment that better serves their needs. I don’t think other schools are so in touch with such a diverse community. On the flip side, if you want to see very rare pathology or treat diseases that you would not see in every-day hospitals, you can work at St. Luke, MD Anderson, or Methodist. Since these hospitals are so well known, people from all over the world go there for the best care.
4. The Students: I happen to know quite a few students at Baylor and at UT Houston, so it will be cool to keep in contact with my friends. Also, Baylor students seem to be MUCH more laid back than those at the other top 20 schools where I interviewed.
5. Streaming lectures: this is just beautiful
6. 18 months of basic sciences/ bad ass curriculum: Apparently it works because Baylor students kick ass on the step one.
7. Administration: I can already tell that Baylor’s administration really cares about the students. Last year I just waltzed into Dr. Phillips office because I knew I wanted to go to Baylor and I thought I’d get in contact with the administration early. That he just let me meet with him without knowing me AT ALL says a lot about the mentality there. Also, he got me connected to an awesome summer program that I didn’t even know about. When I went to his office and told him I had no definite plans for the summer, he immediately called Case Western and told them he had a student who would be attending their program that summer and who would have her application in the next day (he didn’t ask me, but whatever). It turned out to be an awesome experience! I can’t imagine many schools have admins who would do this for a perfect stranger.

Really, I could write a freakin book, but I’ll stop here. In a nut shell: Baylor is bad ass and anyone who gets in would be lucky to go there.

I am not applying right now, but I can second everything Lady has said. Dr. Phillips and many of the other deans and professors (you guys will love your primary anatomy gross lab prof) are awesome. I was in a summer program at Baylor one summer. Everyone made me feel right at home. I am a California kid too and I would not mind living in the TMC area (well at least north or northwest of the immediate area). For those of you who are already set on going to Baylor: Be sure to take advantage of the 24 hour library at Rice across the street (well, on main...two blocks over from Baylor).

Hey Lady, what's happening to Astro World? I never liked the place b/c it was too small compared to the six flags out near Los Angeles.

riceman04 said:
I am not applying right now, but I can second everything Lady has said. Dr. Phillips and many of the other deans and professors (you guys will love your primary anatomy gross lab prof) are awesome. I was in a summer program at Baylor one summer. Everyone made me feel right at home. I am a California kid too and I would not mind living in the TMC area (well at least north or northwest of the immediate area). For those of you who are already set on going to Baylor: Be sure to take advantage of the 24 hour library at Rice across the street (well, on main...two blocks over from Baylor).

Hey Lady, what's happening to Astro World? I never liked the place b/c it was too small compared to the six flags out near Los Angeles.
Rice's library is always open? SWEEEEET. :thumbup:

They closed down AstroWorld a few weeks ago, permanently :(

riceman04 said:

You didn't hear? Halloween weekend was the last time Astro World opened. It's gone :(

LadyJubilee8_18 said:
You didn't hear? Halloween weekend was the last time Astro World opened. It's gone :(

Why, what happened. I know it was only open on a seasonal basis. Wow, no relocation or anything?

That's odd. So what are they going to do with the site?

Never mind I just read the news release. They can definitely use that to build more condos or apartments. I would definitely live over there right off of southwest loop (610).

QofQuimica said:
Rice's library is always open? SWEEEEET. :thumbup:

Yeah, sun-thurs. it is open 24 hrs.

On friday it closes at like 9pm
On Sat. it closes at like 10pm.

They are undergoing some major renovations right now. They are finally adding a cafe and a westside entrance.

Alot of Med students study there b/c the TMC library always closes like around midnight.

Just make sure that you are in Rice's library before midnight. For non-students you are not supposed to be able to enter after midnight. But while I was working there I always let the med students in b/c I knew they needed to study.

Congrats Q

I don't understand why university libraries EVER close.* It's not even so much about studying....I can do that at home. But right now I am writing my dissertation. Sometimes I want to look at a book or journal even if it's after 6PM on a Saturday. Most of our e-journals only have on-line access from the past five or ten years, and some don't have it at all, so I have to go physically go get them. :thumbdown:

*Well, actually, I do. It's all about the $$$. But in an ideal world, I'd be able to have round the clock access to anything I needed. I know they'd start staying open later on weekends if you undergrads would only quit going out on weekends and study at the library then instead. :p ;)

MesoCompound said:
Anyone received any phone calls from Baylor recently?

nope. hoping for tomorrow...u?

1yearvacation said:
When was your interview date? I interviewed Nov 18th

me too. did you already have all of your transcripts in?

LaDoctorFutura said:
me too. did you already have all of your transcripts in?

yeah, i didn't at the time but i sent them and checked yesterday. Hopefully we'll both get calls tomorrow! :luck:

1yearvacation said:
yeah, i didn't at the time but i sent them and checked yesterday. Hopefully we'll both get calls tomorrow! :luck:

My interview was on October 28th. It's pushing on 5 weeks now! :(

1year and Meso, good luck! :luck: I didn't have my transcrips either, but they are in now, too.

MesoCompound said:
My interview was on October 28th. It's pushing on 5 weeks now! :(

Hang in there. I am waiting too, since early September, and hopeing to arrive at the top of their list. Waiting isn't fun but, there is not much we can really do about it. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting and hopefully we can all get calls soon :)