Baylor vs. UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Given my circumstances, which would you choose, Baylor or UF?

• Baylor (OOS)

Votes: 73 80.2%
  • University of Florida (IS)

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've made my decision, but I will probably have some pause if the results of the poll are unexpected.

I was accepted to Baylor College of Medicine (net loans @ 4 yrs: $204K)

And the University of Florida (net loans @ 4 yrs: $187K)

I am in-state for the University of Florida. These estimates are actual debt that *I* will have, and take into account the rather small amount of money I might be able to put towards either institution. Also the very limited finaid I received from both.

I guess I'll just put this out there: I really want to go to Baylor very badly. Also, (I suppose I shouldn't count on this at all, since a lot can happen in two years), but there is a chance I would get choose to married at the end of my second year of medical school, in which case in-state tuition for Baylor over four years would result in net loans of <$180K.

I'm torn because my parents are absolutely convinced that UF is the way to go, despite their skyrocketing tuition and limited first two years' clinical experience. They think that I could get a meal from home and/or live at home to save money. They see hidden expenses at Baylor -- cost of travel home for any vacations, the cost of getting set up in a new apartment and having to learn a whole new set of life skills (cooking, paying rent, etc.) for the first time. Probably I would pay more for food and rent -- to some extent, this is accounted for in my estimated cost of attendance. As an undergrad, I traveled 3500 miles away from home, but I lived in dorms and had a meal plan with the dining hall so that those things were taken care of.

I am generally extremely conservative in my financial approaches to things, but I feel like Baylor is an opportunity I just can't pass up. I am torn, though, because I can almost always come to some sort of agreement with my parents on this issue. And while $17K may not seem like a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, you can never tell. The difference may be even greater after 4 years of residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You seem to love Baylor too much. I think you'd regret it if you turned them down. The money difference just isn't substantial enough to turn down Baylor.

Go where you love, pianola. Where you will be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pianola,

This is a lot of money, but in the grand scheme of things, 17k is not a big enough difference to pass up on the school you really want to go to (IMO). That will be a small fraction of your future income & shouldn't be too hard to pay back. You don't want to spend the next four years wondering "what if?" over less than you would pay for a new car.

If it were a difference of 50k or something astronomical maybe I'd think twice, but I definitely think you should go to Baylor where your heart is! No matter where you go, you know I think you'll do amazing!

I :love: pianola

I don't think the cost difference is significant enough to justify you turning down Baylor.

Thanks guys :) I haven't been posting in the 2013 thread lately just because I needed a chance to live with my own thoughts for a bit.

I believe that I am making the right choice. Only time will tell, I guess.

i personally could never live in houston, especially while going to medical school. It would just stress me out. But anyways, congrats on Baylor and UF, both great schools

i personally could never live in houston, especially while going to medical school. It would just stress me out. But anyways, congrats on Baylor and UF, both great schools

Do you mind if I ask why? I've never lived in Houston before; I'm just going off of what I saw on the interview day.

Thanks for the congrats :).

Thanks guys :) I haven't been posting in the 2013 thread lately just because I needed a chance to live with my own thoughts for a bit.

Take some time to think it through... but know that no matter what you choose you will be fine. There is no wrong answer. Either way you will be an amazing doctor (my future doctor hehe) and you will make opportunities happen. The experiences might be different but the end result will be the same!

Take some time to think it through... but know that no matter what you choose you will be fine. There is no wrong answer. Either way you will be an amazing doctor (my future doctor hehe) and you will make opportunities happen. The experiences might be different but the end result will be the same!

:love::love::love: DrLyss like crazy.

Thanks for helping me remember that. Haha, some days it feels like I'm having to choose between boiling in hot oil, or being drawn and quartered.

Either choice is the right choice.. you're taking off for medical school to join a profession where 17k is a relatively small sum. Go to Baylor and get married :p

I'm pretty sure I've made my decision, but I will probably have some pause if the results of the poll are unexpected.

I am in-state for the University of Florida. These estimates are actual debt that *I* will have, and take into account the rather small amount of money I might be able to put towards either institution. Also the very limited finaid I received from both.

I guess I'll just put this out there: I really want to go to Baylor very badly. Also, (I suppose I shouldn't count on this at all, since a lot can happen in two years), but there is a chance I would get choose to married at the end of my second year of medical school, in which case in-state tuition for Baylor over four years would result in net loans of <$180K.

I'm torn because my parents are absolutely convinced that UF is the way to go, despite their skyrocketing tuition and limited first two years' clinical experience. They think that I could get a meal from home and/or live at home to save money. They see hidden expenses at Baylor -- cost of travel home for any vacations, the cost of getting set up in a new apartment and having to learn a whole new set of life skills (cooking, paying rent, etc.) for the first time. Probably I would pay more food and rent -- to some extent, this is accounted for in my estimated cost of attendance. As an undergrad, I traveled 3500 miles away from home, but I lived in dorms and had a meal plan with the dining hall so that those things were taken care of.

I am generally extremely conservative in my financial approaches to things, but I feel like Baylor is an opportunity I just can't pass up. I am torn, though, because I can almost always come to some sort of agreement with my parents on this issue. And while $17K may not seem like a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, you can never tell. The difference may be even greater after 4 years of residency.

You know you're gonna end up at Baylor :)
But as per the highlighted...tell ur parents that its about time that you 'learn' those skills...
I've lived pretty much on my own since moving to this country when I was 18...its hard at first but when you dont have a choice, you will definitely adjust.
Baylor is a great school, and it sounds like you LOVE it. IMO, it wont be worth it going to UF. saving some cash...but spending the next 4 yrs regretting ur decision.
All the best in ur decision.

This poll is surprising me, nearly 50-50. Those of you voting for UF (who aren't being very vocal) is it because:

A) You are a UF undergrad and you :love: your school? (Don't get me wrong, I :love: it, too). Bear in mind that I won't be joining the football team any time soon, though ;).

B) You are on the Baylor waitlist and trying to get off of it?

C) You honestly think $17K over four years is too significant a burden to bear?

D) You hate my SDN persona and want me to be miserable for four years?

E) You just wanted to vote because voting is fun.

F) You think Baylor is not a good school.

G) Other

H) Some combination of the above

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'd regret it if you turned them down.

Yeah

Go where you love, pianola. Where you will be happy.

This is important too.

Either choice is the right choice.. you're taking off for medical school to join a profession where 17k is a relatively small sum. Go to Baylor and get married :p

We'll see about the last part. I don't want to bank on it.

You know you're gonna end up at Baylor :)
But as per the highlighted...tell ur parents that its about time that you 'learn' those skills...
I've lived pretty much on my own since moving to this country when I was 18...its hard at first but when you dont have a choice, you will definitely adjust.
Baylor is a great school, and it sounds like you LOVE it. IMO, it wont be worth it going to UF. saving some cash...but spending the next 4 yrs regretting ur decision.
All the best in ur decision.

Yeah, learning coping skills in medical school might be better than learning them in residency.

This poll is surprising me, nearly 50-50. Those of you voting for UF (who aren't being very vocal) is it because:

A) You are a UF undergrad and you :love: your school? (Don't get me wrong, I :love: it, too)

B) You are on the Baylor waitlist and trying to get off of it?

C) You honestly think $17K over four years is too significant a burden to bear?

D) You hate my SDN persona and want me to be miserable for four years?

E) You just wanted to vote because voting is fun.

F) You think Baylor is not a good school.

G) Other

H) Some combination of the above

What, you were looking for a clear answer from an anonymous SDN poll?! :smuggrin:

Go to Baylor and don't look back. I don't see any overwhelming reasons to stay home and go to UF. None.

The money difference isn't great enough to justify choosing the school that you're not excited about, and your parents are just being parents. Go to Baylor, learn (and perhaps even enjoy!) some life skills, appreciate your family a little more when you see them a little less often, think about getting married, and be happy that you followed the path that you wanted for yourself. :)

What, you were looking for a clear answer from an anonymous SDN poll?! :smuggrin:

Go to Baylor and don't look back. I don't see any overwhelming reasons to stay home and go to UF. None.

Haha, I think you're right. I'm probably overthinking this. I couldn't help but wonder, though.

Pianola, I know that no matter what you choose, you will end up doing extremely well. I understand that your parents want you close by because they like to know that you are safe and doing well and so on. I believe that you will be a lot happier at Baylor. I think it is an important step to learn those skills such as cooking, etc, and it is very important for your future. I think that Houston is a great place to live in... I personally would dislike it because I cannot stand humidity, but I think that if you are used to Florida weather, then Houston will be nothing. You will get an amazing clinical experience at Baylor, their 1.5 year Basic Science and 2.5 year clinical is incomparable, and it is just an opportunity that is too good to pass up. Think of the extra 17K as an investment into your future. And Houston and Florida are not that far apart, that you will not be able to visit your family, if that is what your parents are concerned about.

Also, what not to say that considering the economy, UF will increase their tuition so much that it will be greater than Baylor's?

You should only do what makes you happy otherwise you will be miserable. I think you would be happiest at Baylor, and as a result you should be part of Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2013. :)

EDIT: Oh and I have my own personal bias in this also... I never really liked Florida:oops:

EDIT: EDIT: "my own personal" has gotta be one of the most redundant statements...

Last edited:
Also, what not to say that considering the economy, UF will increase their tuition so much that it will be greater than Baylor's?

Haha, it IS greater than Baylor's...the $17K is pretty much all living expenses right there.

UF has some ungodly tuition that will be approaching $30K (I suspect) before I graduate.

Already it's between $28K and $29K.

Thanks for posting, funky :D

As others mentioned, 17k in tuition difference (even if it's 20k total with untold expenses) is a negligible amount (5k a year). You need to make the decision that's best for you regardless of what others say. Both are great schools, and whatever decision you make will be the right one as long as you make it independent of external influences, but I would have to give my vote for Baylor and that's coming from someone who just spent the best 5 years of his life at UF. Even if you do need to "learn new life skills," you're going to have to learn these skills eventually. I think your choice is likely already made, so go with your heart =).

I'm familiar with both schools and know med students at both places. Sorry pianola, but this shouldnt even be a discussion. 17k?

Houston is better than Gainesville. Plus Baylor is very cheap considering the caliber of school it is. Go to BCM!!

You said it yourself, you really want to go to Baylor. Go Baylor! 17k is a rounding error in terms of med school expenses. Houston is a nice city too. Follow your heart and don't look back. :)

saving 17k isn't worth having to live in gainesville for 4 years as a med student

I would go to Baylor if I were you. First of all, I know you went to UF for undergrad, so you might actually like gainesville, but I can't imagine anyone truly wanting to live in gainesville for another 4 years (I lived in gainesville for 3 months and was going crazy by the end).

On a more serious note, both UF and Baylor are having somewhat of a rough time right now. However, I think UF's problems are much more serious than Baylor's. UF has more serious budget issues and is having a very hard time retaining good faculty, and this is extending to the medical school too. I believe they are building a new building across the street from Shands, which should help a bit, but in general, the only hospitals in gainesville that will be staffed by UF faculty (and thus open for clinical rotations) will be Shands and the VA. So that means lots of rotations outside of gainesville (I think a lot of them are in Jacksonville).

Baylor has financial issues, but these are more because Baylor went crazy and decided to build itself a hospital, and then realized it didn't have the money. Rice is going to buy Baylor (I know, i know, it's not official, but it's gonna happen, it's too good of an opportunity for both parties), and everything will be nice. From what I understand, the loss of Methodist has been a big deal, but not as big as everyone thought it would be, since the TMC is soooo huge. From a research standpoint, unless you're interested in chemical biology (which is what I'm interested in and which is why I'm not going to baylor next year), Baylor has phenomenal opportunities. UF has opportunities, but these are more limited.

Houston will take some getting used to if you're not from the area simply because of its size, but you've lived in Gainesville, so you're used to sitting in a car forever (although in Houston, when you're sitting in the car, it's usually moving). But there's a lot to do in Houston, so it should be fun.

The cost of attendance difference between the two schools is negligible. If the difference were more than 60-70k, it might become relevant.

Good luck!

I agree with everything that's been said above about how 17K is negligible and shouldn't make or break your decision.

Pretend like the cost is entirely equal and pick the one you like more, which seems to be Baylor...

I would go to Baylor if I were you. First of all, I know you went to UF for undergrad, so you might actually like gainesville, but I can't imagine anyone truly wanting to live in gainesville for another 4 years (I lived in gainesville for 3 months and was going crazy by the end).

That's exactly the way I feel about gville...I was pretty glad to get back to the real world after graduation :) Also, I don't think a relatively small sum like that is worth passing up the opportunity to go to a school you really want to attend.

Stick with your decision with going to Baylor.

Yes, the avatar might say otherwise, but go to Baylor.

I'm torn because my parents are absolutely convinced that UF is the way to go, despite their skyrocketing tuition and limited first two years' clinical experience. They think that I could get a meal from home and/or live at home to save money. They see hidden expenses at Baylor -- cost of travel home for any vacations, the cost of getting set up in a new apartment and having to learn a whole new set of life skills (cooking, paying rent, etc.) for the first time. Probably I would pay more for food and rent -- to some extent, this is accounted for in my estimated cost of attendance. As an undergrad, I traveled 3500 miles away from home, but I lived in dorms and had a meal plan with the dining hall so that those things were taken care of.

I don't think that the price difference is worth turning down the school you love, definitely. Also, I don't think the highlighted part should be a negative. Learning how to set up an apartment and cook and hand in a rent check is not a burden, it's a normal part of life for any adult! I did it when I was 18 and survived, and I am the most disorganized, domestically-unskilled person ever. Cooking = throwing some compatible foods in a pan with some olive oil, cooking them, topping them with a compatible sauce, and eating. Paying rent = writing a check then taking a 2 minute walk to hand it in at the rental office. They are not very hard! The fact that your parents want to protect you from having to learn these basic life skills makes me think that getting away from them and living on your own might be especially good for you. Not that I'm accusing you of being immature or incapable, I just think your parents seem to have some separation anxiety that might wind up driving you nuts.

Sorry for the little rant, haha. It's just strange to me that someone would think it was a bad thing for a college graduate to learn to cook and pay rent. Go to Baylor. You'll be able to pay off the debt difference in less than a year once you're a doctor.

Just to clear up some confusion, I didn't do my undergrad at UF but I have lived in Gainesville most of my life. It's not a bad place (at least not if it's what you're used to). Obviously I don't have an insider's perspective on the medical school.

Second, I don't think my parents wish to discourage me from maintaining useful life skills like cooking (and yes, paying rent is not so bad). They just think that if they can cook for me sometimes it would make my life easier (during exam week, for example) and that if I opted to not pay rent over summers, maybe my life would be a little simpler. I can cook for myself, but I haven't had to really do it for a period longer than 3 months.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Go to Baylor, have some unique experiences you'll always remember, and go back home to Florida for residency if you wish. Sounds like you've already made your decision (and it's a great decision to have to make).

the cost of getting set up in a new apartment and having to learn a whole new set of life skills (cooking, paying rent, etc.) for the first time.
Valuable experiences, IMO.

I would go to Baylor(currently waitlisted). I interviewed at both schools, and if it wasn't for my financial aid package at UF I would have still chosen Baylor if I got off the waitlist.

I would go to Baylor(currently waitlisted). I interviewed at both schools, and if it wasn't for my financial aid package at UF I would have still chosen Baylor if I got off the waitlist.

Definitely appreciate the perspective of a fellow applicant. Thank you for posting. :)

dude go Baylor.
I've got friends that go there; it's a really great, top-notch med school.
Plus, Houston's fun..just be sure and live on the outskirts to avoid major trafficcccccc time.

Maybe I'll see you there in a year if I get in :xf: hehe

Thanks for the support guys. I'm withdrawing from UF and UMiami tomorrow (I know, I know, I can't believe how early I'm withdrawing :rolleyes:).

Here's to starting a new life in Houston.

(BTW did anyone who actually responded in this thread vote for UF? I think we had one person with doubts about Houston as a city...)

I'm not gonna lie - I voted Baylor. I'm on the wait-list for UF and it's my only waitlist, so I had no hesitation voting Baylor!!!!

Seriously though, all circumstances aside, I would have chosen Baylor if I had your choice.

I'm not gonna lie - I voted Baylor. I'm on the wait-list for UF and it's my only waitlist, so I had no hesitation voting Baylor!!!!

Seriously though, all circumstances aside, I would have chosen Baylor if I had your choice.

Hey man, I hope you get my UF acceptance, or better yet, Lee's UF acceptance. I'm rooting for you.

Haha Serg guess who this is

I interviewed at UF same day as you! (I think)

I will take it as a personal insult if you decide to go to UF over Baylor.

Baylor is clearly the better school and the one you want to go to. DO NOT DO WHAT YOUR PARENTS WANT YOU TO DO. You need to live your life and make your own decisions.

Furthermore...the difference between Baylor and UF is ~$20k.

Do you understand just how little that is?

If you make $240k per year that will be esentially 1 month more of work.
Also I think the options for residency will be improved if you go to a better school...so you may end up earning more than you would have if you went to UF.

On top of that Baylor is private which usually means they will give more scholarships and grants to their students...so it may end up being the cheaper school in the end
DO NOT FACTOR IN THE COST IN THIS SITUATION it is negligible

Remember if you decide to go to UF over Baylor I will take it as a personal insult...and you don't want to upset Zeusonroids:laugh:

I will take it as a personal insult if you decide to go to UF over Baylor.

Baylor is clearly the better school and the one you want to go to. DO NOT DO WHAT YOUR PARENTS WANT YOU TO DO. You need to live your life and make your own decisions.

Furthermore...the difference between Baylor and UF is ~$20k.

Do you understand just how little that is?

If you make $240k per year that will be esentially 1 month more of work.
Also I think the options for residency will be improved if you go to a better school...so you may end up earning more than you would have if you went to UF.

On top of that Baylor is private which usually means they will give more scholarships and grants to their students...so it may end up being the cheaper school in the end
DO NOT FACTOR IN THE COST IN THIS SITUATION it is negligible

Remember if you decide to go to UF over Baylor I will take it as a personal insult...and you don't want to upset Zeusonroids:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I think I needed that to cheer me up.

(How about we trade places and you live with my parents for the next month and a half? :D)

Hey Food how's it going man! I hope to see you at UF in the fall, good luck man!

I am making a similar decision between BCM and UTSouthwestern. My family is closer to Dallas than Houston and of course is pushing for that and making the same financial arguments.

I am basing my decision on where I would regret not going the most, and which curriculum fits my learning style. The money difference is less than between your schools, but 17 is still not a huge number in the large scheme of things, and of course the SO situation and what he does will contribute too I imagine, not to mention affecting living expenses. My SO will be in Waco for gradschool so that may be different than your situation.

I hope you choose BCM, because after really struggling with it, I did, because I knew it would be the biggest what if if i didn't go there.

Hope this helps!
Best of luck whichever you choose!

I am making a similar decision between BCM and UTSouthwestern. My family is closer to Dallas than Houston and of course is pushing for that and making the same financial arguments.

I am basing my decision on where I would regret not going the most, and which curriculum fits my learning style. The money difference is less than between your schools, but 17 is still not a huge number in the large scheme of things, and of course the SO situation and what he does will contribute too I imagine, not to mention affecting living expenses. My SO will be in Waco for gradschool so that may be different than your situation.

I hope you choose BCM, because after really struggling with it, I did, because I knew it would be the biggest what if if i didn't go there.

Hope this helps!
Best of luck whichever you choose!

Yes, that does help. It helps a lot. Thank you for posting your situation. I appreciate it.

oh, and btw, the coolest thing about baylor is that preclinical stuff is just 1.5 years, and you start clinical rotations in January of your 2nd year. That's really cool

Yes, that does help. It helps a lot. Thank you for posting your situation. I appreciate it.

Anytime. PM me if you want to discuss more. I think I remember you from interview day :D

BCM just posted today that basic sciences will be Pass/Fail! Which IMO is a great thing!!!

Here is a link to the specifics:
http://www.bcm.edu/osa/2013/?PMID=11540

I hope you choose Baylor!

Last edited:
Yes that is what I meant!!! OOPs! Ya they will no longer be H/HP/P/MP/F and will now be straight pass/fail

Sorry for the type-o
:D
interesting, good thing they released this before May 15th :)

Status
Not open for further replies.