Baylor vs. UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Given my circumstances, which would you choose, Baylor or UF?

• Baylor (OOS)

Votes: 73 80.2%
  • University of Florida (IS)

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baylor wins, hands down. No contest. $17,000 is not enough money to tilt your decision to FU. By all accounts, Baylor is just one fantastic med school and my guess is that you would always regret it if you turned down Baylor.

But I am surprised at the amount of debt you will incur, above $200,000. I thought Baylor was relatively inexpensive. $200,000 is not small potatoes.

But definitely go to Baylor.

Members don't see this ad.

Baylor wins, hands down. No contest. $17,000 is not enough money to tilt your decision to FU. By all accounts, Baylor is just one fantastic med school and my guess is that you would always regret it if you turned down Baylor.

But I am surprised at the amount of debt you will incur, above $200,000. I thought Baylor was relatively inexpensive. $200,000 is not small potatoes.

But definitely go to Baylor.

I hope people realize that in Texas you can buy property to gain residency and get instate tuition. Even at a loss on the sale, you'll still be ahead from the tuition savings.

BCM is awesome and its smack in the middle of the Houston medical district... I loved that feeling of being in the middle of it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure I've made my decision, but I will probably have some pause if the results of the poll are unexpected.

I was accepted to Baylor College of Medicine (net loans @ 4 yrs: $204K)

And the University of Florida (net loans @ 4 yrs: $187K)

I am in-state for the University of Florida. These estimates are actual debt that *I* will have, and take into account the rather small amount of money I might be able to put towards either institution. Also the very limited finaid I received from both.

I guess I'll just put this out there: I really want to go to Baylor very badly. Also, (I suppose I shouldn't count on this at all, since a lot can happen in two years), but there is a chance I would get choose to married at the end of my second year of medical school, in which case in-state tuition for Baylor over four years would result in net loans of <$180K.

I'm torn because my parents are absolutely convinced that UF is the way to go, despite their skyrocketing tuition and limited first two years' clinical experience. They think that I could get a meal from home and/or live at home to save money. They see hidden expenses at Baylor -- cost of travel home for any vacations, the cost of getting set up in a new apartment and having to learn a whole new set of life skills (cooking, paying rent, etc.) for the first time. Probably I would pay more for food and rent -- to some extent, this is accounted for in my estimated cost of attendance. As an undergrad, I traveled 3500 miles away from home, but I lived in dorms and had a meal plan with the dining hall so that those things were taken care of.

I am generally extremely conservative in my financial approaches to things, but I feel like Baylor is an opportunity I just can't pass up. I am torn, though, because I can almost always come to some sort of agreement with my parents on this issue. And while $17K may not seem like a ton of money in the grand scheme of things, you can never tell. The difference may be even greater after 4 years of residency.

Baylor. UF is one of those schools that is not always easy for people to adapt to unless there heart is really in it for UF. i've seen at least 2 kids drop out, heard of multiple stories of unhappiness at UF Med. The ones who truly tell me they love it really are the ones who would have given anything to go there. Its curricula is not innovative as other schools and more traditional. Its hard for some people cuz they prefer the newer approaches to medicne then UF's traditional outlook. Baylor would win hands down with me.

Definitely appreciate the perspective of a fellow applicant. Thank you for posting. :)

For the app cycle for the c/o 2011 2 years ago there was a really really really really close friend of mine who was w/l'd at both UF and Baylor. She never got off baylor's w/l but did at UF. she loves it at UF BUT BUT BUT.........

She would have chosen Baylor in a heartbeat. It was her dream school of the top tiers she interviewed at and was w/l'd at. The others she was w/l'd at were washU, UPitt, and Duke.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm withdrawing from UF and UMiami tomorrow (I know, I know, I can't believe how early I'm withdrawing :rolleyes:).

Here's to starting a new life in Houston.

(BTW did anyone who actually responded in this thread vote for UF? I think we had one person with doubts about Houston as a city...)

hahaha. :laugh: :laugh: No I chose Baylor. its where my friend at UF would've gone had she been taken off their w/l. it was her top choice 2 years ago. its an amazing school from what I hear. Her roommate this year also interviewed there as well and loved it.

QofQuimica interviewed and had been accepted there and told me wonderful things too about it.

its not too early. some people used to withdraw from places like well before april when they got other school acceptances.

Status
Not open for further replies.