BCGP/CCGP 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paxil_Rose

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the geriatric certification recently? Or found a good resource to use for this test? I keep reading the ASCP is not very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I have, but the deadline for the current test was 15 Sep. Who knows what will be on the new test in 2018.
There is a detailed outline on their website of where their questions come from...start there.

Reactions: 1 user
I have, but the deadline for the current test was 15 Sep. Who knows what will be on the new test in 2018.
There is a detailed outline on their website of where their questions come from...start there.

Yea I'm taking the test during this last testing window. Would you agree there's a lot of stats questions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
We have cople candidates taking CGP exam Oct/Nov. I am also taking during this window.

While we have many questions about the the study material, I am using my PharmD notes, ASCP bootcamp exam material and Med 101 material. I took exam in May and failed for 5 points. While I think clinical side is fine but regulation related questions were tough for me as I have hospital experience and missed on some of the regulatory part.
Do we have any candidate working in geriatric setting? like Nursing home, LTC ?

If anyone interested we can discuss material/doubts and study together.
Thanks,
cgpnotes :)

Hi all,
We have cople candidates taking CGP exam Oct/Nov. I am also taking during this window.

While we have many questions about the the study material, I am using my PharmD notes, ASCP bootcamp exam material and Med 101 material. I took exam in May and failed for 5 points. While I think clinical side is fine but regulation related questions were tough for me as I have hospital experience and missed on some of the regulatory part.

Thanks,
I am taking the exam in NOV. I subscribed to MEDED 101 material too but he talks so slow. I took the Geriatric Intensive at UCLA in Sept and was a LTC pharmacist. I am open to studying with others.

Hi all,

Thanks,

i work in the geriatric setting. i work outpatient with home based geriatric patients / primary care. and also cover for our long term / nursing home/ hospice , rehab and respite patients.
maybe we can all study together? i'm taking the test nov. 10th and finding it very hard to study with a toddler and a newborn :(

I am taking the exam in NOV. I subscribed to MEDED 101 material too but he talks so slow. I took the Geriatric Intensive at UCLA in Sept and was a LTC pharmacist. I am open to studying with others.

also taking in november, i'd be open to studying together.
i haven't really subscribed to study material other than what the VA provides through BCPS material lectures.
i looked into MED ED but wasn't sure if anyone has found that helpful. sounds like ASCP is too comprehensive. ASHP has a practice test for $50 which i'm considering as i'm getting more nervous lol.

did you find the outline accurate of the breakdown? is it a computer adapted test? (continue getting harder questions on the same topic if you answer correct)

Hi ,

First of all congratulations on new baby!

I am also taking the test on 10th Nov. So yes v can study together. Not too much time though. I am in NJ and taking NJ Consulting Pharmacist exam on 3rd Nov. so bit tough. Guess it shouldn't be that hard for you if you are practicing in same area. NH, respite,LTC etc.

No this exam doesn't ask as many CMS related questions. What I meant was advanced directives, different scenarios in which you can reach healthcare professionals/ government agencies etc

what should be the plan if we want to study together? I am doing high priority areas from guideline.

good luck!

wanted advice/clarification on 2 questions i've come across that i don't understand the answer:

1. Screening tools used in assessing emotional disturbances in the elderly include

a. MMSE

b. GDS

c. BDI

d. Clock Drawing Test

e. SLUM

I thought the answer was GDS - geriatric depression scale, because that is what we use. but the BDI - beck depression inventory was the correct answer. can anyone provide clarification?
-----------------------------------------------------
Common clinical manifestations of Iron-deficiency anemia (IDA) include all except
Select one:
a. Depression
b. Ankle edema
c. Bradycardia
grade_incorrect

d. Breathlessness
e. Fatigue, weakness

i know IDA can cause tachycardia but doesn't it also cause shortness of breath. therefore, breathlessness should be correct?

wanted advice/clarification on 2 questions i've come across that i don't understand the answer:

1. Screening tools used in assessing emotional disturbances in the elderly include

a. MMSE

b. GDS

c. BDI

d. Clock Drawing Test

e. SLUM

I thought the answer was GDS - geriatric depression scale, because that is what we use. but the BDI - beck depression inventory was the correct answer. can anyone provide clarification?
-----------------------------------------------------
Common clinical manifestations of Iron-deficiency anemia (IDA) include all except
Select one:
a. Depression
b. Ankle edema
c. Bradycardia
grade_incorrect

d. Breathlessness
e. Fatigue, weakness

i know IDA can cause tachycardia but doesn't it also cause shortness of breath. therefore, breathlessness should be correct?

Don’t know about BDI.

God how many tests they come up with. They should mention which kind of set up test is used —Clinical versus research etc.

2nd ques What is the correct answer? Bradycardia? I guess that’s correct because all other r s&s of ida. The question asks “ all except” .

Members don't see this ad :)
some more questions i'd love clarification on :

14. The change in total body composition related to aging results in which of the following:

A. decreased elimination of renally cleared medications - is there more than one correct answer? i wasn't sure why a was incorrect, but i likely read it wrong?

B. decreased metabolism of hepatically cleared medications

C. increased volume of distribution of lipid-soluble medications

D. increased volume of distribution of water-soluble medication

29. 81 YO female presented 2 weeks ago with a painful vesicular rash along a dermatome, which was subsequently diagnosed as herpes zoster. Her creatinine clearance is 32 mL/min. Despite the rash clearing, severe pain and tenderness persist along the dermatome. The patient states that the pain is seriously affecting her overall quality of life. Which is the best choice for this patient now?

A. acyclovir 800 mg 5 times daily for 2 weeks, then assess effect

B. pregabalin 75 mg BID, and titrate up to desired effect and tolerability

C. pregabalin, 25 mg TID, and titrate up to desired effect and tolerability

D. oxycodone 5/acetaminophen 325 mg, 2 tabs PO q4h prn (max of 12/day) - i chose this b/c a similar question on the ASHP exam said to use opioid acute due to severe pain and quick duration of action whereas gabapentin/pregabalin would take a few days to weeks to relieve pain.

49. A diabetic nursing home patient has been treated with Humulin N. During a drug review, the following lab data are obtained:

FBG on 1/31 = 105 mg/dL (5.8 mmol/L)
FBG on 2/28 = 115 mg/dL (6.4 mmol/L
FBG on 3/31 = 95 mg/dL (5.3 mmol/L)
What can be said about this patient’s control of their diabetes over the past 3 months?

A. His diabetes is well controlled.

B. His diabetes is poorly controlled with frequent hyperglycemia.

C. His diabetes is poorly controlled with frequent hypoglycemia.

D. Not enough information is given to make a conclusion.- i would probably want an A1c and would want FBG to be higher if they are in a NH (medically complex).

A 75 YO male presents with complaints of difficulty initiating urination and an unsteady stream. He reports waking up 2 to 3 times per night to urinate. The MD determines he has a smooth, but enlarged prostate. His PMH is significant for HTN treated with verapamil. Which is the most appropriate treatment?

A. Begin finasteride.

B. Begin diethylstilbestrol.

C. Begin leuprolide and flutamide.- wouldn't this be for active prostate CA?

D. Discontinue verapamil, and initiate Flomax
70. A local nursing home completes a drug-utilization review of antipsychotics. The results are as follows:

Jan Mar June

Number of patients receiving an antipsychotic 75 70 80

Number of patients experiencing EPS 25 25 30

Number of patients receiving an antipsychotic 50 50 60

AND an anticholinergic agent

Which of the following is a true statement regarding this nursing home?

A. Antipsychotics are being overprescribed.

B. Anticholinergics are being overprescribed.

C. Anticholinergics are being under prescribed.

D. Anticholinergics and antipsychotics are prescribed appropriately.

96. An 83 YO woman has previously been diagnosed with pernicious anemia. Today, her Schilling test returns abnormal, with Vitamin B12 <200 pg/mL, elevated methylmalonic acid, and elevated homocysteine. Which is the most appropriate for this patient?

A. cyanocobalamin 100 mcg IM monthly

B. cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg IM monthly - we've done weekly then monthly (d/t practical reasons with administration)

C. cyanocobalamin 1000 mcg IM daily for 1 week, then monthly - i didn't think injections would be practical to be done daily. are there alternative correct answers?

D. cyanocobalamin 100 mcg IM daily for 1 month, then weekly

Hi ,

First of all congratulations on new baby!

I am also taking the test on 10th Nov. So yes v can study together. Not too much time though. I am in NJ and taking NJ Consulting Pharmacist exam on 3rd Nov. so bit tough. Guess it shouldn't be that hard for you if you are practicing in same area. NH, respite,LTC etc.

No this exam doesn't ask as many CMS related questions. What I meant was advanced directives, different scenarios in which you can reach healthcare professionals/ government agencies etc

what should be the plan if we want to study together? I am doing high priority areas from guideline.

good luck!

Hi, I am just wondering about the time frame of the results. Do you by any chance know when we'll get the answer ? Good luck !!!

Hi, I am just wondering about the time frame of the results. Do you by any chance know when we'll get the answer ? Good luck !!!
Now that the testing window is closed, It should be in a week or two.

Good luck...

Hi all.. took the exam on 11/10. Received results on 11/18. Hope that helps and good luck to all who took it!

Took the exam 10/30 and still haven’t received my results. They come by mail, right?

Hi everyone, did you get your results? Hopefully all of you got the passed score.

Haven’t gotten mine yet. I’m wondering if there was a problem with the sketchy AMP test center? The computer I was using kept freezing up, but the attendant (who was also an employee of the H&R Block occupying the same space) said that was normal. I took the exam 10/30, but when I log onto the BPS website, I can’t find any record of me passing or failing the exam.

I have friends that took BCPS and have gotten their results already.

I’ve emailed BPS and have yet to get a reply from them.

i went for the exam in 2nd of November, i didn't receive my result until now.
I emailed bps, they said it will appear early December.. :(

I've a friend who passed bps exam in nutrition yesterday and his result appear on his profile, anyone here who passed bcgp and his/her result appear on bps profile?

I've a friend who passed bps exam in nutrition yesterday and his result appear on his profile, anyone here who passed bcgp and his/her result appear on bps profile?
Hi,
It didn't appear on my bps profile, the mailed it to me. I took the exam on 8th of November and the date on the envelop is Nov. 15th! and I received it by mail on November 22nd

I used the contact form, i got my score report 2 day ago and i passed.. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I am interested in taking the CGP in the fall, anyone able to sell material?

Hi All,
I’m planning on taking BCGP this fall. Any recommendations on study materials? I’m reading that ASCP and ASHP have study material. Not sure which to invest in. I didn’t like ASHP for BCPS; ACCP was much better.

Thanks!

I would suggest trying to do as many questions as possible. I think BPS sells an old exam and there is another exam on sale from meded101. They changed the format this year so it will probably be harder than before. I assume more stats but not sure. I took it last year right before BPS was going to change the exam. As for prep classes, I did the UCLA Geriatric Intensive 2017 live at UCLA. It was expensive almost $1000. Very educational but it is really meant for the doctors (MD's, DO's etc.) and their geriatric boards. If I had to do it all over again, I would take a prep class just for pharmacists. I think there is a bootcamp that is Fri, Sat, Sun. Not sure where it is this year. They also sell the webinar recording of it which is cheaper. Overall that pharmacist bootcamp is much cheaper than the UCLA Geriatric Intensive and more specific to the BCGP.

I would suggest trying to do as many questions as possible. I think BPS sells an old exam and there is another exam on sale from meded101. They changed the format this year so it will probably be harder than before. I assume more stats but not sure. I took it last year right before BPS was going to change the exam. As for prep classes, I did the UCLA Geriatric Intensive 2017 live at UCLA. It was expensive almost $1000. Very educational but it is really meant for the doctors (MD's, DO's etc.) and their geriatric boards. If I had to do it all over again, I would take a prep class just for pharmacists. I think there is a bootcamp that is Fri, Sat, Sun. Not sure where it is this year. They also sell the webinar recording of it which is cheaper. Overall that pharmacist bootcamp is much cheaper than the UCLA Geriatric Intensive and more specific to the BCGP.
This is very helpful! THANK YOU! =)