Bcpm Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeminoleFan3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your BCPM GPA that AMCAS calculates, does it include ALL science and math, or only the basic prereqs for med school? I ask because I took Bio for non-majors and a couple of Chem for non-majors courses before I decided to puruse medicine, and then I had to take Chem for majors, Bio for majors, etc. So, do ALL the sciences and math classes get counted?

Members don't see this ad.

SeminoleFan3 said:
In your BCPM GPA that AMCAS calculates, does it include ALL science and math, or only the basic prereqs for med school? I ask because I took Bio for non-majors and a couple of Chem for non-majors courses before I decided to puruse medicine, and then I had to take Chem for majors, Bio for majors, etc. So, do ALL the sciences and math classes get counted?

I believe that as long as the course was taught by the Biology, Chemisty, Physics, or Math department, it will be factored into that oh so important GPA.

SeminoleFan3 said:

Yes, they will all count -- probably. The AMCAS website has detailed information about what classes will count. A chem or bio class, whether for majors or not, will almost certainly count unless it was offered by the English department or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
MollyMalone said:
Yes, they will all count -- probably. The AMCAS website has detailed information about what classes will count. A chem or bio class, whether for majors or not, will almost certainly count unless it was offered by the English department or something.

Ah, Good Ole The English of Math...

In the following word problem, how did the author's inflection and tone reflect the theme's of post-modern de-constructionism in the era in which it was written? Also, solve for X.

MollyMalone said:

Can you give more specific information about where on the AMCAS website that info is...I couldn't find it.

I am a Post-Bacc student at Columbia. Took no science courses as an undergrad at NYU and got a 3.58. After NYU and before columbia, I took a few science classes at a Community College: Bio I, Bio II, Genetics, Human Nutrition (all with lab), Statistics, PreCalc, Calc I. Got A's in all except Calc I where got C+.

Will any of these classes factor into BCPM GPA? What about into my overall GPA? I'm confused.

If you can't help please tell me where on the AMCAS site it tells you.

THANKS!

lk2230 said:
Can you give more specific information about where on the AMCAS website that info is...I couldn't find it.

I am a Post-Bacc student at Columbia. Took no science courses as an undergrad at NYU and got a 3.58. After NYU and before columbia, I took a few science classes at a Community College: Bio I, Bio II, Genetics, Human Nutrition (all with lab), Statistics, PreCalc, Calc I. Got A's in all except Calc I where got C+.

Will any of these classes factor into BCPM GPA? What about into my overall GPA? I'm confused.

THANKS!

I don't know where on the website it says what courses count, but I believe that all of them will factor in, even your statistics course. What department was statistics offered by?

lk2230 said:

THANKS!

Ok, Bio I, Bio II, Genetics, Stat, Pre Calc, Calc I all definately will go into your BCPM GPA. If Human Nutrition was taught by the Bio or Health Sciences Dept, it will go to your BCPM GPA. As will the grades for any and all separate lab courses. All courses you have ever taken at any undergraduate institution will go toward your overall GPA.

Here's a guide, it's not incredibly helpful, but it's better than nothing...

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/advisors/conversionguide.pdf