BCPS Spring 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The questions are based on the most up to date guidelines available before the close of registration. I would know all the applicable HTN guidelines.

appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the BCPS and it is very, very random. I honestly don't know if I passed or failed. I feel like 50% of the questions I knew with good certainty, 40% I was able to eliminate it to two answers and take a guess, 10% I had no idea.

There were some gimme questions like "Pt is on oxy 20mg every 6 hours. What medication in addition to senna would you add for his bowel regimen." Then there were questions where if I had the lecture review slides in front of me, I still wouldn't know the answer.

I think if I pass depends on how many of the 50/50 questions I got right as well as where the curve lies. Now I just play the waiting game.

I just took the BCPS and it is very, very random. I honestly don't know if I passed or failed. I feel like 50% of the questions I knew with good certainty, 40% I was able to eliminate it to two answers and take a guess, 10% I had no idea.

There were some gimme questions like "Pt is on oxy 20mg every 6 hours. What medication in addition to senna would you add for his bowel regimen." Then there were questions where if I had the lecture review slides in front of me, I still wouldn't know the answer.

I think if I pass depends on how many of the 50/50 questions I got right as well as where the curve lies. Now I just play the waiting game.

Any study tips? I am looking to take it in Fall, but unsure where to start.

Wow if you knew 50% that sounds pretty good to me. Did you study alot? I take it next week and don't feel confident lol

Wow if you knew 50% that sounds pretty good to me. Did you study alot? I take it next week and don't feel confident lol

Yes I studied about 11 weeks putting in 10-15 hours a week so I probably studied ~ 125 hours total. All my study material was composed of the ACCP BCPS review, UpToDate, and some youtube videos on stats. Like everyone else says, if you have stats and study design nailed down, it'll give you a good foundation.

When it comes to study design of case-control vs cohort....
cAse-cOntrol has two different groups, one with the disease and one without (the A and O are different).
cOhOrt has two same groups (the O and O are the same)
Relative ratio is associated with cOhOrt studies (the O's are related)
Odds ratio is associated with cAse-cOntrol studies

I found test-taking stills comes into play with the BCPS. I found it helpful to read the question twice. A few times, I caught myself misreading the question. For example, I read "Which one is the least likely likely to be clinically significant." But the question was "Which one is the MOST likely to be clinically significant?" Read the stem of the question to see what they want answered. Cross out parts of the paragraph that don't have to do with the question so you can make it easier to answer. Try to answer the question without looking at the choices first. Then look at the choices to see if one matched what you thought. But still go over all the other answers just in case you could have missed something.

You have about 1.5 minutes per question. Mark the midway point to see if you have answered half the questions in half the alloted time. If you find the question is really hard, then just flag it and go to the next one. It's better to get two medium questions right and miss the difficult question than the other way around.

The saving grace of the test is that it is multiple choice with only four options. I guarantee more people would fail if the multiple choice gave five answers instead of four. It's pretty easy to eliminate it down to two choices. If you can take a practice exam and get >70%, I think you are good to go. If you get <60%, definitely keep studying. Good luck, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes I studied about 11 weeks putting in 10-15 hours a week so I probably studied ~ 125 hours total. All my study material was composed of the ACCP BCPS review, UpToDate, and some youtube videos on stats. Like everyone else says, if you have stats and study design nailed down, it'll give you a good foundation.

cAse-cOntrol has two different groups, one with the disease and one without (the A and O are different).

I found test-taking stills comes into play with the BCPS. I found it helpful to read the question twice. A few times, I caught myself misreading the question. For example, I read "Which one is the least likely likely to be clinically significant." But the question was "Which one is the MOST likely to be clinically significant?" Read the stem of the question to see what they want answered. Cross out parts of the paragraph that don't have to do with the question so you can make it easier to answer. Try to answer the question without looking at the choices first. Then look at the choices to see if one matched what you thought. But still go over all the other answers just in case you could have missed something.

You have about 1.5 minutes per question. Mark the midway point to see if you have answered half the questions in half the alloted time. If you find the question is really hard, then just flag it and go to the next one. It's better to get two medium questions right and miss the difficult question than the other way around.

The saving grace of the test is that it is multiple choice with only four options. I guarantee more people would fail if the multiple choice gave five answers instead of four. It's pretty easy to eliminate it down to two choices. If you can take a practice exam and get >70%, I think you are good to go. If you get <60%, definitely keep studying. Good luck, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Wow, those are some great tips. I wish I had a study partner to drill this kind of knowledge in my head. Pls let us know if you have any other great tricks to remember this stuff.

Also, does anyone have mock exams from previous years they can share?

Good luck to everything taking the exam this spring!

I'm taking mine April 23rd too! I'm looking to try all the mock exams soon as I've almost gone through all the packets. Just started studing 3 weeks ago. I also have all the clinical PDFs for the ACCP Updates in Therapeutics 2018 (excludes the Policy, Practice, and Regulatory Issues and all the additional resources in volume 2.) Willing to sell for $50.

If anyone has the whole thing, I'd actually be willing to split the cost for the lectures and the rest of volume two. I'm also on the open market for mock exams that have already been purchased before.
Hello,
I am willing to buy your studying materials, taking the test Spring 2020, Is it still available? pl contact me to my direct email,
[email protected]

Anyone planning on taking BCPS spring or fall 2020 and want a study buddy? We can study over the phone.

Hi. Which youtube videos did you use for stats?