BCPS Spring 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My last name starts with A. Passed! Glad the wait is over. Hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone didnt get their score other than me? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like everyone passed so don't be worried about your scores just yet

Reactions: 1 users
Got my results...as expected, I failed it. This is really disappointing Bc it’s the first time I failed anything and I studied more than I studied all of my boards combined. I wish everyone luck!

Not sure when I will take it again Bc it seems like I just don’t have the will to do it in a few months...I dunno. Sigh.

Got my results...as expected, I failed it. This is really disappointing Bc it’s the first time I failed anything and I studied more than I studied all of my boards combined. I wish everyone luck!

Not sure when I will take it again Bc it seems like I just don’t have the will to do it in a few months...I dunno. Sigh.
Go for it this fall. Don't get discouraged.

Don’t be discouraged. Take some time btwn now and Aug 1st and decide if you really need/want this. As someone who failed it last Fall and just passed it on try #2 this Spring, I highly encourage you to try again one more time. Remember the fail rate is high!!!
I had also never failed an exam and had studied my butt off, it’s not like I didn’t prepare. It was a real blow to my pharmacist ego but this test does not differentiate good pharmacists from not so good pharmacists. It means you were able to pass an expensive test, that’s all.
That failed letter you get is the worst, why they have to say you did moderately worse or significantly worse than your peers on certain domains is just cruel!
On test #2, I did notice very similar questions on a number of topics so if you know what your weak points are, concentrate on those and try again. I think mentally reviewing the questions that I had on the first exam really helped me on my second go.
Shake it off and have a good day at work. You’re still an awesome pharmacist even w/o those extra 4 letters after your title.

The tittle BCPS doesn't make me a smarter pharmacist. But the process of obtaining it does did help to refresh my knowledge. The main reason why I took it was because I want to remain competitive and to have something new on my resume. Nothing changes at my workplace. I won't even get a raise either. However, I was very fortunate to get connected to some folks here in SDN and it was such a positive experience. To me, that matters more than the BCPS title.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys...I also did this to refresh and remain competitive.

I wanted to keep this a secret at work but I have two others here that took it too. One passed but I didn’t even bother to find out about the other’s result. I’m already mortified. I wish no one at work knew!

I honestly had a bad feeling about taking this exam for weeks. Premonition? Perhaps.

Now I just have to I dust myself off and try to climb again.

Thank you all again for all the kind and supportive words.

Sadly, I failed too...so disappointing.I feel your pain. Literally have not stopped thinking about it all morning. I failed by only 10 points, which I'm assuming was just a few questions. The thought of hitting the books again is what is so upsetting. I studied for about 2.5 months and it was so painful. My life got super crazy the month right before the exam and I didn't review the last chapters of the ACCP book, which is probably why I failed. I was in the middle of selling my condo and buying a new home. I didn't want to put it off, so I thought I could get by with what I already studied...I was wrong. I already signed up to take it again. I feel like it will be better to do it now rather than continue to wait and risk forgetting the little that I know.

Anyone else that passed it on the second try that can offer some words of wisdom? Did you review everything again or just focus on the parts of the exam you know you did poorly on? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm planning to take BCPPS in the fall 2018. Anyone have any advice or study guide that will help? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know any way to determine what the score actually means (ex. number missed or percentile compared to other applicants)?

Was just looking through my score reports from previous attempts...
Attempt #1-497 “domain I-marginally lower, domain II-considerably lower, domain III- considerably lower”
Attempt #2-495 “ domain I-considerably lower, domain II- considerably lower, domain III - comparable”
How can one score considerably lower in 2 of 3 domains yet have a score so close to passing?
My score is lower on second attempt but I did as well as those who passed the exam in domain III. The exam is graded on some circuitous curve which is probably why, even though it’s a computerized exam, it takes so long to get scores back. I passed on the third try. I tried a different specialty exam this time and did not pass. Again close, but not 500. So now I’m stuck in that loop again to retake it for half the cost.

Last edited:
Was just looking through my score reports from previous attempts...
Attempt #1-497 “domain I-marginally lower, domain II-considerably lower, domain III- considerably lower”
Attempt #2-495 “ domain I-considerably lower, domain II- considerably lower, domain III - comparable”
How can one score considerably lower in 2 of 3 domains yet have a score so close to passing?
My score is lower on second attempt but I did as well as those who passed the exam in domain III. The exam is graded on some circuitous curve which is probably why, even though it’s a computerized exam, it takes so long to get scores back. I passed on the third try. I tried a different specialty exam this time and did not pass. Again close, but not 500. So now I’m stuck in that loop again to retake it for half the cost.
Wow! Yea its so sad failing for that many points i failed with 495 ... so you passed bcps on third try.. congratulations.. any advice ?

Wow! Yea its so sad failing for that many points i failed with 495 ... so you passed bcps on third try.. congratulations.. any advice ?
Don't worry about it. Just study up a little more on the stats and guidelines and you will pass it next time.

Congratulations to all that passed the exam!
For those that passed the BCPPS, what study material/guide would you recommend?

I hope so, i feel like this shot my ego espicially failing for only those few pts
I know how you feel, had the same thing happen to me last Fall. But I did try one more time and luckily received a passing score.
I highly encourage tou to try one more time. Take a mental break for a few weeks and then start reviewing material again over the next few months, you’ll get your passing score. If you can take/review the mock exams, those helped me. I also reviewed the accp bio stats review book for exam 2 which was about $30, stats were not a strength so it helped
You will see some similar questions/concepts from your first exam so review what the right answers are to as many questions as you can remember. It’ll help you next time!
When you pass in the Fall, you will really be able to celebrate.

Don’t be discouraged. Take some time btwn now and Aug 1st and decide if you really need/want this. As someone who failed it last Fall and just passed it on try #2 this Spring, I highly encourage you to try again one more time. Remember the fail rate is high!!!
I had also never failed an exam and had studied my butt off, it’s not like I didn’t prepare. It was a real blow to my pharmacist ego but this test does not differentiate good pharmacists from not so good pharmacists. It means you were able to pass an expensive test, that’s all.
That failed letter you get is the worst, why they have to say you did moderately worse or significantly worse than your peers on certain domains is just cruel!
On test #2, I did notice very similar questions on a number of topics so if you know what your weak points are, concentrate on those and try again. I think mentally reviewing the questions that I had on the first exam really helped me on my second go.
Shake it off and have a good day at work. You’re still an awesome pharmacist even w/o those extra 4 letters after your title.
Hi
What did you do differently the second time? How different was the new format?

I know how you feel, had the same thing happen to me last Fall. But I did try one more time and luckily received a passing score.
I highly encourage tou to try one more time. Take a mental break for a few weeks and then start reviewing material again over the next few months, you’ll get your passing score. If you can take/review the mock exams, those helped me. I also reviewed the accp bio stats review book for exam 2 which was about $30, stats were not a strength so it helped
You will see some similar questions/concepts from your first exam so review what the right answers are to as many questions as you can remember. It’ll help you next time!
When you pass in the Fall, you will really be able to celebrate.
I reay appreciate your encoragment.. i ll try to follow that...

Passed! I for sure thought I would fail because I did not study, except for an hour or two on stats (I was really busy during the 8 weeks before, which was how long I had between signing up and taking it). Guess it's true there is no substitute for experience - I did not do a residency but instead practiced for 4 years.

Passed, first time Spring 2018 with a 602. Passed Naplex Spring 2013, first time with a 112, PCAT first time Summer 2008 94 percentile. Did a managed care residency (not hospital), then worked FT in managed care ~ 4 years, PT in long-term acute care for > 3 years. Took ASHP mock, scored ~60% ~ 3-4 weeks prior to exam, took ACCP mock, scored ~55% ~7 weeks prior to exam. Studied 4 months, hard 2 months, really hard last month, and took final two weeks off to study. Just to give you all an idea. Was an average student in Rx school. If you're not the traditional candidate for this exam - i.e. purely inpatient hospital experience +/- hospital PGY1, then feel free to contact me- I can give you some tips. I will say that I have a strong epidemiology background which helped a lot on this, and working in managed care helped with the policy stuff. Definitely doable for any of you in "non traditional" work settings - managed care, industry/Drug Info, etc. if you're thinking about doing this.

I'm planning to take BCPPS in the fall 2018. Anyone have any advice or study guide that will help? Thanks in advance.
Get Accp, know biostats cold, do not waste time with any other prep material. Doing the above I passed with a 563 on my first try. 2 years hospital experience. No residency. A 60 on ACCP or ASHP practice exam means you will pass. That is what I got

Get Accp, know biostats cold, do not waste time with any other prep material. Doing the above I passed with a 563 on my first try. 2 years hospital experience. No residency. A 60 on ACCP or ASHP practice exam means you will pass. That is what I got

Got it! Thank you, I appreciate it! I heard that they are a lot of regulatory questions as well. Is this true? Did you spend time studying this also?

Got it! Thank you, I appreciate it! I heard that they are a lot of regulatory questions as well. Is this true? Did you spend time studying this also?
Yes, the regulatory stuff is covered pretty well in the last 2 chapters of ACCP course. I'd say be familiar it

Best of luck to every one

Passed, first time Spring 2018 with a 602. Passed Naplex Spring 2013, first time with a 112, PCAT first time Summer 2008 94 percentile. Did a managed care residency (not hospital), then worked FT in managed care ~ 4 years, PT in long-term acute care for > 3 years. Took ASHP mock, scored ~60% ~ 3-4 weeks prior to exam, took ACCP mock, scored ~55% ~7 weeks prior to exam. Studied 4 months, hard 2 months, really hard last month, and took final two weeks off to study. Just to give you all an idea. Was an average student in Rx school. If you're not the traditional candidate for this exam - i.e. purely inpatient hospital experience +/- hospital PGY1, then feel free to contact me- I can give you some tips. I will say that I have a strong epidemiology background which helped a lot on this, and working in managed care helped with the policy stuff. Definitely doable for any of you in "non traditional" work settings - managed care, industry/Drug Info, etc. if you're thinking about doing this.
I would like some much needed study tips.

Agree with this. I did feel like I needed a little more help with stats than what I was getting from ACCP so I also bought a really simple stats book and read it probably three or four times prior to the test. Blonde Pharmacist also has some good tips for stats (and BCPS in general).

Anyone selling BCPS materials 2018? please msg me?

Anyone selling BCPS materials 2018? please msg me

I am planning to take it this Spring and hoping that 3-4 months is an adequate enough time to study. Any recommendations for review questions outside of the ones provided in the chapters??? Thanks!!!!

Hi did you end up taking the exam in spring of 2018?? If so did they end up asking the updated HTN guidelines from 2017??? My book is outdated

Been studying my ass off, but I am so nervous!

Seems like no matter how much you know, you'll still be like :wtf::boom:
Hii!! Did you end up taking the exam? Did they ask you about the new 2017 aha htn guidelines?? Did they ask you questions based on which guideline it was?

I took the BCPS in May. Did not hear anything Saturday, and I doubt I'll be getting any news today either. Seems like the wait is nearly over though! Let's hope for the best. I don't feel very confident that I passed...
Hii!! Did you end up taking the exam? Did they ask you about the new 2017 aha htn guidelines?? Did they ask you questions based on which guideline it was?

The questions are based on the most up to date guidelines available before the close of registration. I would know all the applicable HTN guidelines.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile