Beaurocratic B.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conquistador

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've found out about something called a "retro-active drop" that goes on at my university. By talking to students who have taken advantage of this, I've figured out that this B.S. is thrown around pretty loosely. It only takes a "Oh, I was depressed that semester", or a "My boyfriend/girlfriend dumped me" type thing to get a well deserved F wiped off a transcript. Do any of you know if this goes on all over the place? I Know grade inflation is a big concern these days, what about grade forgiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

I gotta get me one of those! :thumbup:

They definitely haven't had that at any of the schools I've attended. Right now I'm working on my Beaurocratic Ph.D. though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy crap you guys are butchering the word "beaurocratic."

It's "bureaucratic," learn to spell, thanks.

sorry, that's my fault, english is my second langauge.

Conquistador said:
sorry, that's my fault, english is my second langauge.

you can say that again
but hey I never heard of such thing.

and it sounds little bit crunchy, tastes spicy, and looks like oh s#$7h

gildas said:
you can say that again
but hey I never heard of such thing.

and it sounds little bit crunchy, tastes spicy, and looks like oh s#$7h

HAHAHAHA :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: , The funny part is I didn't mean to do that...

They have retroactive drops at my university (UF), but to get one is no small undertaking. In most cases you have to petition to withdrawal from the entire semester as they won't let you retroactively drop one class. In addition, you have to have credible documentation ad nauseum or you will surely be denied. So to sum it up, yes they have them, but it is not as simple as writing down "I was depressed" on a piece of paper and turning it in. However, if you can get a doctor to write it on a piece of paper for you and say that it affected your academic performance, well that works wonders. :rolleyes:

Scubadoc said:
LOL!!!! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!! :laugh:
It's a phase. Most people go through it when they first get here, then they hopefully get over it.

I heard some something like that at a school near me (not a highly ranked college), but I think you're supposed to take the course again before theywill drop the earlier one with the low grade.