Is a B.A. or B.S. better for premed? I’m a psych major. Also premed requirement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycho.logymajor

Reaction score
A b.a. would be quicker and would result in me having a higher GPA. Also, is a philosophy minor beneficial? I want to add one but I don’t know if it will lower my acceptance chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Adcoms on here will tell you that majors and minors don't really matter. Pick what you'll a) like and b) do well in. I myself am majoring in Public Administration with a host of random minors, including Psych. No one really cares as long as your stats are good and you do your extracurriculars well

Reactions: 3 users
Adcoms on here will tell you that majors and minors don't really matter. Pick what you'll a) like and b) do well in. I myself am majoring in Public Administration with a host of random minors, including Psych. No one really cares as long as your stats are good and you do your extracurriculars well
Awesome, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
A b.a. would be quicker and would result in me having a higher GPA. Also, is a philosophy minor beneficial? I want to add one but I don’t know if it will lower my acceptance chances.
BA v. BS doesn't matter. Ditto for major. You'll still have taken the science prerequisites. Maximizing your GPA, LOR, research, and volunteering/clinical exposure should be your focus.

Whenever you hear from a fellow pre med that BS in biomedical science is better than BA in music always remember that that person is just a victim of the Dunning Kruger effect

I got a BA in psych and just got into med school!! It makes you different from every other Bio major applicant out there. Find what you enjoy and can do well in!

Reactions: 1 user
I go to a university that, at the time of my acceptance here, only offered a BA in Psych. I had the same concern and was told the above - that BA vs BS doesn't matter.

Good question. :)

I wish you the best of luck. :)

It is always nice to meet other Psych majors. :)

Go for it

Reactions: 1 user