before applying to dental school, read this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ggj

human considering dental
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the read! I like how your post gives a realistic perspective on the challenges that dental students face while maintaining an optimistic view + tips/tricks on how to best overcome them. I think too many posts here on SDN focus on these same issues and their only advice becomes to look for another career...
Thank you for this post, much helpful! And good luck with your residency program!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the read! I like how your post gives a realistic perspective on the challenges that dental students face while maintaining an optimistic view + tips/tricks on how to best overcome them. I think too many posts here on SDN focus on these same issues and their only advice becomes to look for another career...
Thank you for this post, much helpful! And good luck with your residency program!!!

thanks so much! i'm so glad you enjoyed it. yes - i know what you mean about the advice to change careers... i hope i can help new dental students understand our career prospects and set reasonable goals :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for posting the link to your article. I enjoyed it. Hopefully, you will make time to address college dental clubs as you move forward in your career.

Thanks for posting the link to your article. I enjoyed it. Hopefully, you will make time to address college dental clubs as you move forward in your career.

You're welcome! I was a member of several clubs in dental school and even started my own. What info were you looking for re: clubs?

Good read but I couldn't help wondering if you wished you gone into medicine - or Orthodontics?

Hey bloomer! I am completing a GPR now & actually considering O/S after. But still too early for me to tell - only 2 months in :) I wanted to write about my background because I feel I jumped into dentistry a little blindly... It's all good because in a funny way it worked out. I am happy as a clam so far, debt-drenched & white hairs and all :D

You're welcome! I was a member of several clubs in dental school and even started my own. What info were you looking for re: clubs?
In my post, I suggested speaking to college dental clubs where you could reach more undergraduate students long before they decide to apply to dental school.

Hey bloomer! I am completing a GPR now & actually considering O/S after. But still too early for me to tell - only 2 months in :) I wanted to write about my background because I feel I jumped into dentistry a little blindly... It's all good because in a funny way it worked out. I am happy as a clam so far, debt-drenched & white hairs and all :D
Do u regret you decision in becoming a dentist?

In my post, I suggested speaking to college dental clubs where you could reach more undergraduate students long before they decide to apply to dental school.

Ah I see .. that's a great idea. Maybe reaching out to pre-dental societies or finding venues to post this in more conspicuous places..

Do u regret you decision in becoming a dentist?

Not at all! But my expectations coming into the field were certainly unrealistic, which is why I wrote that essay on Medium.com. For example, I thought I could pay off debt in a few years. But a starting salary for a dentist is often quite low. I think dentistry is a wonderful career if you *know* exactly what you're getting into. I have no regrets. I'm an optimistic person .. which helps :p

Not at all! But my expectations coming into the field were certainly unrealistic, which is why I wrote that essay on Medium.com. For example, I thought I could pay off debt in a few years. But a starting salary for a dentist is often quite low. I think dentistry is a wonderful career if you *know* exactly what you're getting into. I have no regrets. I'm an optimistic person .. which helps :p
I think its difficult for people who go into any medical field with the thought that they will become rich as soon as they graduate because thats not possible unless you are from a pretty rich family and you have no loans to worry about. I didn't go into dentistry for the money, I really want to help people but the thought of being in that much debt terrifies me. I wish you all the best. Stay optimistic and sweet :)