Being a RA or RD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullefect1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what people think about being an RA or RD. Would this be something that would consider in terms of leadership role to improve their application. I am considering becoming a RA mostly for the pay and cut in cost. Is anyone else out there a RA? And did it seem like it was a positive thing to have when you applied?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by fullefect1
I was just wondering what people think about being an RA or RD. Would this be something that would consider in terms of leadership role to improve their application. I am considering becoming a RA mostly for the pay and cut in cost. Is anyone else out there a RA? And did it seem like it was a positive thing to have when you applied?

i'm an RA now, but i hate it. i dun think i would've done it if not for the pay. plus, i dun think it really matters in the admissions that much anyway, cuz no one at my interviews asked me anything about it. :rolleyes:

Neither right now, but I do have a friend who is in med school and she was a RD for our last year of grad school. She mainly did it for the $14K salary, funky cafeteria food and room (although all free)... made no difference in her apps, although she could more easily talk about conflict management and ethical dilemmas on the secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been an RA for 3 years (shows long term commitment), I work with the hiring and training committees (shows leadership) and I play both counseling and administrative roles which I think are wonderful experiences for pre-meds. It is not worth it for the money or the application boost if you won't enjoy it, but if you think you will, like I have, it's a wonderful oppurtunity and I definately have felt that it impressed admissions committees and interviewers. Good luck! :cool:

I'm an RA and all of my interviewers asked me about it. I talked about specific RA experiences that I've had to show them my leadership/community-building/teamwork abilities. I talked about how I dealt with situations involving drugs, alcohol, roommate conflicts, parties, and hospital runs to show them my level of maturity and responsibility. They all seemed very impressed so I think it paid off greatly! :cool:

Seems like it could go both ways. Thanks everyone

What are those things, the RA and RD?

residence life and housing positions at colleges

RA = resident advisor
an undergraduate that lives on campus and has admistrative and social responsibilities to a number of residents, usually a paid position with a price break on room and board

RD = resident director
some schools use undergraduates, most use graduate students, they oversee a number of RAs, usually one per residence hall

I thought so about the RA, but I've never heard about an RD. I heard it's just a major headache if you get sucky peeps...