Being content with being Average or below Average in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol. I also drink like fourteen cups of chai a day coz thats what us brown people do, always always through a straw. And red wine too, IDGAF how fancy the restaurant is that i'm at, if the table wants to order red wine, i ask for a straw. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol. I also drink like fourteen cups of chai a day coz thats what us brown people do, always always through a straw. And red wine too, IDGAF how fancy the restaurant is that i'm at, if the table wants to order red wine, i ask for a straw. :D
:lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: 2 users
Yea that used to bother me. Don't get me wrong, some classes I'm still getting in the high 80s, especially when the lecturers are good and/or I am interested in the material. I pulled my anatomy average up to low 70s and that was my lowest grade of M1. But I can't constantly stress about not knowing enough. Bottom line is this is a job, I am my number one priority, and everyone else can f*ck off if they don't like it.

Assuming that you care predominantly about yourself and not your future patients, by settling for a lower score, you still do yourself no favor when it comes time to take the USMLE Step 1, which isn't graded on a H/P/F basis (obviously). If anything, you are potentially restricting career choices and creating more stress for yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming that you care predominantly about yourself and not your future patients, by settling for a lower score, you still do yourself no favor when it comes time to take the USMLE Step 1, which isn't graded on a H/P/F basis (obviously). If anything, you are potentially restricting career choices and creating more stress for yourself.

Don't care about future patients, do care about beasting STEP1 tho huehue

Reactions: 3 users
I don't see what the two have to do with each other. On the one hand, you have professor-made tests. These vary wildly from class to class (and even within classes when you have more than one prof). On the other, you have Step 1. This is a very predictable standardized test. I can easily train for the latter, not so much the former. Step 1 also matters a hell of a lot more for residencies.
Why should I feel bad that classmates are doing better than me on the professor-made tests? They took the extra time to study what is important to that professor, learn his style of asking questions, and learn the minutiae that is important to him. I spent that time with friends and family, or watching TV, or masturbating, or whatever. It doesn't mean that they'll make better doctors than me. I would feel bad if I wasn't in the top 10% of Step 1 scorers in my class because that is what I am choosing to invest most of my time and energy into this year.
Oh and also I got a first author pub this past summer. I'd take that over an honors any day.

I stand out via my assortment of flannel shirts I wear in rotations.

I don't see what the two have to do with each other. On the one hand, you have professor-made tests. These vary wildly from class to class (and even within classes when you have more than one prof). On the other, you have Step 1. This is a very predictable standardized test. I can easily train for the latter, not so much the former. Step 1 also matters a hell of a lot more for residencies.
Why should I feel bad that classmates are doing better than me on the professor-made tests? They took the extra time to study what is important to that professor, learn his style of asking questions, and learn the minutiae that is important to him. I spent that time with friends and family, or watching TV, or masturbating, or whatever. It doesn't mean that they'll make better doctors than me. I would feel bad if I wasn't in the top 10% of Step 1 scorers in my class because that is what I am choosing to invest most of my time and energy into this year.
Oh and also I got a first author pub this past summer. I'd take that over an honors any day.

One of my prof's made a nice quote last year, "you don't know what you don't know". Kinda off the wall, but using the blanket excuse I don't care that I am getting 70's instead of 80's instead of 90s because its professor driven is just an excuse. How do you know what the professor said is important or not? On my step 1 exam I had random epidemiology questions about diabetes and some psychiatric disease. At the time of studying I would have completely blown over that minute point during the block, and I certainly didn't learn it during the step exam. Point being, if you are just doing the minimum to skate by to pass the "professor's test" you will struggle more for studying for step 1.

And its funny, after step 1 exam those students that "just wanted to get by" because they partied more, or whatever, are suddenly less interested in ortho and more interested in im/fm/psych. Just an n=5 observation.

One of my prof's made a nice quote last year, "you don't know what you don't know". Kinda off the wall, but using the blanket excuse I don't care that I am getting 70's instead of 80's instead of 90s because its professor driven is just an excuse. How do you know what the professor said is important or not? On my step 1 exam I had random epidemiology questions about diabetes and some psychiatric disease. At the time of studying I would have completely blown over that minute point during the block, and I certainly didn't learn it during the step exam. Point being, if you are just doing the minimum to skate by to pass the "professor's test" you will struggle more for studying for step 1.

And its funny, after step 1 exam those students that "just wanted to get by" because they partied more, or whatever, are suddenly less interested in ortho and more interested in im/fm/psych. Just an n=5 observation.
I will never go into FM or Psych, and if I go into IM it will be for a lucrative subspecialty. My pub was in a combined surgical specialty/rad onc discipline. That pub will help me more for residency than your preclinical honors, I promise you that.
You're saying that the only way you knew those epidemiology questions was because you had a 90 avg in med school? I don't buy it.
I'm doing just fine with my step studying right now. This **** isn't complicated.

It's always interesting to hear this rationalization from people. That they're not doing well because they choose not to study what the professors teach them, and instead they focus their time on what they believe to be important (and how they know what is important to learn to become a good physician is beyond me).

Members don't see this ad :)
OP there are obviously two sides to this story. The students that bust their ass and honor everything are obviously going to want to think that they're effort was worth it. The students that skate by and only study for the boards think they're gaming the system successfully. People from both groups succeed and fail. It's totally up to you how you want to proceed, as you're an adult that can make his own decisions.

OP there are obviously two sides to this story. The students that bust their ass and honor everything are obviously going to want to think that they're effort was worth it. The students that skate by and only study for the boards think they're gaming the system successfully. People from both groups succeed and fail. It's totally up to you how you want to proceed, as you're an adult that can make his own decisions.

How often do the people that bust their butts to get all honors really fail?

How often do the people that bust their butts to get all honors really fail?
People that honor everything and end up with low step scores... I'm sure it happens.
Edit: They also completely wasted two years of their lives instead of partially. That's a fail in my book.

People that honor everything and end up with low step scores... I'm sure it happens.
Edit: They also completely wasted two years of their lives instead of partially. That's a fail in my book.

Lol, keep telling yourself that. Obviously everyone that does better than you must hate their life and do nothing but study...(sarcasm)

To a degree I would agree with you for minor numerical differences. Thirty four percentage point gaps, however, suggest a content deficiency. In the event that I ever lose a patient, I would rather not spend the rest of my life wondering whether the patient might have faired better if I had pushed myself just a little harder.

Lol, keep telling yourself that. Obviously everyone that does better than you must hate their life and do nothing but study...(sarcasm)
No but a lot of people who do better than me are insufferable ****wits who value their self-worth by their GPA. See above.

I would hope that a future physician would push himself or herself to full capacity to improve the lives of future patients. Maybe it's just me...

I would hope that a future physician would push himself or herself to full capacity to improve the lives of future patients. Maybe it's just me...
No not just you, plenty of other Non-Students share your views I'm sure.

I will never go into FM or Psych, and if I go into IM it will be for a lucrative subspecialty. My pub was in a combined surgical specialty/rad onc discipline. That pub will help me more for residency than your preclinical honors, I promise you that.
You're saying that the only way you knew those epidemiology questions was because you had a 90 avg in med school? I don't buy it.
I'm doing just fine with my step studying right now. This **** isn't complicated.

I have several friends that were "gunner ortho" and got below average STEP 1 and are now paddling upstream (and they were in the mindset I'll study when I need to learn it). They now have interest in significantly less competitive specialities. I am not trying to call you out or be disrespectful, but just stating that those kids that "are only getting average or below" because it doesn't matter aren't seeing the forest in the trees. Doing well in years 1 & 2 is board prep.

I am sure some "honor students" do poorly on boards but its not that common. Out of my small group of friends (relatively decent students) we all did average or better, yet I know many more "average students" that did well below average on step 1.

No but a lot of people who do better than me are insufferable ****wits who value their self-worth by their GPA. See above.

Little bitter eh? You sound a little insufferable and kinda rude. Cheer up, people are only trying to give helpful advice, not bring you down.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, you need to go for Path.

lol since I started path I'm pretty interested in it, but the compensation is so much lower than rads and the job market is even worse.... yolo sucks to want the non patient interaction jobs(except IR but I feel like you can control patient interaction in that so it's still an option)

I have several friends that were "gunner ortho" and got below average STEP 1 and are now paddling upstream. They now have interest in significantly less competitive specialities. I am not trying to call you out or be disrespectful, but just stating that those kids that "are only getting average or below" because it doesn't matter aren't seeing the forest in the trees. Doing well in years 1 & 2 is board prep.

I am sure some "honor students" do poorly on boards but its not that common. Out of my small group of friends we all did average or better, yet I know many more "average students" that did well below step 1.

Little bitter eh? You sound a little insufferable and kinda rude. Cheer up, people are only trying to give helpful advice, not bring you down.
Ha you're right. That last post of mine was unnecessary.
This is the path I took in undergrad. Mediocre GPA and 99th percentile MCAT, and I was still a desirable applicant. I guess not everyone is willing/able to do what I did and plan to do again.

This is the path I took in undergrad. Mediocre GPA and 99th percentile MCAT, and I was still a desirable applicant. I guess not everyone is willing/able to do what I did and plan to do again.

There were certainly some exceptions including one kid that everyone in our class thought was a ***** getting a 270...but again the top students in general did quite well on step one.

Now one decent question is whether they did well because the first two years were effective "board prep", or whether it's because studying is studying and the top students generally studied more/better/more efficiently for step one than their peers just as they did in the preclinical courses

Now one decent question is whether they did well because the first two years were effective "board prep", or whether it's because studying is studying and the top students generally studied more/better/more efficiently for step one than their peers just as they did in the preclinical courses
Probably a combination of both. However, I know personally it was easy to study for boards because I have seen much of the material at least once, sometimes twice previously. Several of my classmates went into board prep not having seen any of the material (my school is biochem and pharm light).

That said, I may have "wasted" my first 2 years I am so happy I did well on boards. Its sad seeing some of my friends and peers having to rethink their speciality choices based on 1 exam.

There were certainly some exceptions including one kid that everyone in our class thought was a ***** getting a 270...but again the top students in general did quite well on step one.

Way more the 2nd in my opinion. There's too much information to actually remember it from your classes

But what if you were always interested in psych and im? I think I like radiology now too, what type of step score do I need for that? Most of these kids are on ADD medication, I may as well get some too.

But what if you were always interested in psych and im? I think I like radiology now too, what type of step score do I need for that? Most of these kids are on ADD medication, I may as well get some too.

Rads avg is 240 I believe.

Opinions change, I actually like psych too! I think the best advice I got was work as hard as you can and do the best you can, then let the chips fall as they may. Decide on a speciality in your 3rd year, but don't handicap yourself by doing poorly on the steps.

Hope never dies

Are you sure?

How "mediocre"?

240 likely for more the top programs in Radiology, since competitiveness has now been dropping since fellowship has now become a defacto requirement.

true, I'm pretty sure the last charting the outcomes was 240 avg so with that being 2 years old data and less competitiveness I'd arbitrarily guess 230-235

I don't get these threads and SDN in general. Don't short change yourself, and go from there. If you're being honest with the amount of effort you're putting in, then that should be enough. The only way it wouldn't be is if you're worrying about what other people are doing. If there's one secret to life in general, it's being able to look yourself in the mirror. I'd wager that most people already know what they have to do, and those that ask questions only want validation to what they're already planning.

Reactions: 6 users
So the exam results are back...45% lel. And no, there's no curve.

I knew it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be that bad haha.

Ah well, I got dis.

So the exam results are back...45% lel. And no, there's no curve.

I knew it would be bad, but I didn't think it would be that bad haha.

Ah well, I got dis.

Did you get to look over your answers?

I'll be reviewing the exam when they summon me to trial and decide my sentence.
Have you requested a trial by combat?

I'm sorry man, that's a bummer.

Have you requested a trial by combat?

I'm sorry man, that's a bummer.

Heh, thanks for the condolences.

In any case, I am concerned that a trial by combat could end like this.

[NSFW][SPOILERS: A Storm of Swords]

What do u mean, was that your average for the block? Is it immediate?

No my average was higher because I passed everything else, but still failing :(

Last edited:
^ So many feels from that episode

rads is quickly becoming a mediocre specialty in terms of competitiveness. it's not the beast it was a few years back

Oh come on, you post pictures of gross and diseased kids all the time.
Wow. You're really going to compare children and toddlers with pediatric derm conditions to that clip esp. near the end? Really?

rads is quickly becoming a mediocre specialty in terms of competitiveness. it's not the beast it was a few years back
Radiology is competitive esp. near the top. The ones that aren't competitive are more the community programs whose graduates have difficulty getting competitive fellowships. One could argue these are residency programs that should be closed down anyways. Radiology has now become a field in which a fellowship is necessary. You really don't see Rads grads finish DR residency and head straight to work as attendings.

Wow. You're really going to compare children and toddlers with pediatric derm conditions to that clip esp. near the end? Really?

Well, no, but I just figured that from your avatars, you had an appetite for the disgusting.