Being near the old farts

Started by jeff2005
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jeff2005

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been getting some pressure lately from the parental units about doing residency near them. It seems that they are planning on being hospitalized frequently and they want me around. How much consideration are you guys giving to being near your aging parental units? How hard is it to get time off to deal with issues that may come up?
 
jeff2005 said:
I've been getting some pressure lately from the parental units about doing residency near them. It seems that they are planning on being hospitalized frequently and they want me around. How much consideration are you guys giving to being near your aging parental units? How hard is it to get time off to deal with issues that may come up?

Me too. My family is near Baltimore so I'm getting heavy pressure to rank Hopkins #1. I really don't know how this will figure into my ranking but fortunately, rank lists aren't due for quite a while so there is time to ponder and deliberate.
 
I just cannot imagine being away from my dad. Therefore, as they say, location, location, location. I'm just lucky the only program in town is right up my alley. If I don't match there, my plan is to do a b.s. transitional year in town here and then reapply next year. Yes, I'm Daddy's Little Girl. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I moved away from my parents and now I see them probably more than I did when I lived an hour away. My family didn't put any pressure on me to go anywhere. They may have objected if I was telling them I was going to Utah or somewhere far.
 
yaah said:
And Michigan football.

And you and your folks have been able to witness, firsthand in the Big House, some really memorable games this season!
 
My folks didn't pressure me but I wanted to stay near enough to them that I could see them regularly and be there if anything should happen. If being near your parents is important to you, choose somewhere close but don't pick a program at which you won't be happy or get good training.