Being "Well-rounded"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNerdiestRedneck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I've posted on this forum several times, so I won't give a long background, but essentially I have a less than stellar GPA, primarily due to 1. Chemistry and 2. Dealing with my fairly severe depression and anxiety issues. I have one more year of undergrad, and I plan on taking a few years off before applying to vet school to take a few pre-reqs, higher level science courses, study hard for the GRE, and get my mental health issues to a more manageable level. I'm also trying to get as much experience as possible, and still try to be "well-rounded." So I'm going to post what I have so far, and I would love some feedback on where I can improve. I'm also not sure if I should or how I should list some of these. Thanks!

Veterinary Experience:

Shadowed at a few different SA hospitals in high school: ~15 hours

Shadowed with a LA veterinarian in high school: ~30 hours

Working at a SA/LA/Exotic hospital: ~1,350 hours and counting

Worked at a low-cost clinic: ~65 hours

Internship at an equine clinic: 150 hours

Working occasionally as a USEF testing technician: ~20 hours so far

Animal Experience:

Pet ownership: owned dogs, cats, livestock, and exotics my whole life

Petsitting/farmsitting since I was 9 years old

A ton of experience working with/showing livestock and educating both kids and adults about agriculture through 4-H when I was in high school (did that for about six years, was Reporter for 2 terms, VP and President each for one term)

Worked at a pet store for 3 years, not sure how many hours

Working at a horse farm: ~30 hours so far

Working as a mouse caretaker in the biology department: ~37 hours so far

Other Work Experience

Assisting the secretary of Copley Science center: ~50 hours

Research Experience:

Research with Biology professor on the effect knocking out GPR56 has on the fertility of mice: 90 hours so far

Extracurricular Activities:

Associate member of Beta Beta Beta, Biology honor society

Member/Vice President of Fellowship (for 3 semesters) of Alpha Phi Omega - Theta Omega Chapter

Member of Pre-Health Society

President of IRIS (photography and film club)

Member of Young Democrats

Member of Macon Outdoors

Other:

4-H All-Star

Pet First Aid and CPR certified

Beef Quality Assurance certified (as of 7/17/16)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also like to add that I'm trying to get an internship for the upcoming January term at either a zoo or a nature center. If both of those don't work out, I'll probably just get my LA vet to create an internship for me, I've known her for years and shadowed with her quite a bit, so I'm sure she would be up for it. And who doesn't love free labor lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guuuuuuurl you fyne. (But really you're good to go!)

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't really feel like this fit in that thread, since I'm not really asking what my chances are of getting in with these stats, just looking for a little input on how this looks thus far, where I can improve, and just well-roundedness(?) in general.

I didn't really feel like this fit in that thread, since I'm not really asking what my chances are of getting in with these stats, just looking for a little input on how this looks thus far, where I can improve, and just well-roundedness(?) in general.

That's exactly what my chances thread is for. What people think of your stats/experiences and what they think you can do to improve.

Reactions: 4 users