Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugggg. I know that's what I should do... Working full time +, classes, mom.

If you start hard studying in Sept. then take it in January you should be looking good.

Sounds like you have alot on your plate!

Members don't see this ad.

If you start hard studying in Sept. then take it in January you should be looking good.

Sounds like you have alot on your plate!

Yes. The fall is the worst/busiest/hardest time of work. But such is life ya know?

Yes. The fall is the worst/busiest/hardest time of work. But such is life ya know?

You could take it next late August. Study all may, June, July. Don't take any summer classes and work as little as you can to focus on the mcat

Members don't see this ad :)
You could take it next late August. Study all may, June, July. Don't take any summer classes and work as little as you can to focus on the mcat

I have to work (non trad with a kid). Aug-nov= fall sports, nov-April= winter sports April-June= spring sports June-aug= sport camps :/

i'm applying next year, but i'm going to ask for advice since you all seem to know what you're doing.

cgpa: 3.3, sgpa: 2.9. haven't taken the MCAT yet.. will probably take a review class or 2 over this year.

i'm starting a VERY intense masters program in microbiology and immunology in a few weeks. i'm SO close to the magical 3.0 hump on my sgpa. i don't know when i'll have time to take undergrad classes to bring that up. any recommendations? online classes? i have winter break.. i don't want to apply late, so i'd like to be done with them before next summer and not take them summer session while i apply. i want to apply after getting over the 3.0. i think i need about 3-4 classes.

i'm applying next year, but i'm going to ask for advice since you all seem to know what you're doing.

cgpa: 3.3, sgpa: 2.9. haven't taken the MCAT yet.. will probably take a review class or 2 over this year.

i'm starting a VERY intense masters program in microbiology and immunology in a few weeks. i'm SO close to the magical 3.0 hump on my sgpa. i don't know when i'll have time to take undergrad classes to bring that up. any recommendations? online classes? i have winter break.. i don't want to apply late, so i'd like to be done with them before next summer and not take them summer session while i apply. i want to apply after getting over the 3.0. i think i need about 3-4 classes.

Well if you got A's in your graduate classes then those would be averaged in to your sgpa and probably bump you over into the 3.0 range....

But you can't forget about making time to study for the mcat also!

Something else that has been on my mind lately...

How is everyone's family (ies) feel about you going for med school even with a low gpa? I'm single so I can't speak if I had a wife what she would say...

But my parents are split on it. My father doesn't support my plan and argues that I should go into a different career, I'm just wasting time and money, I'll have kids too late, etc...Probably one of the reasons him and I don't talk, and also he lives about 2,000 miles away from me...

My mom, God bless her, has been very patient and is supportive of my plan.

How about everyone else?

Well if you got A's in your graduate classes then those would be averaged in to your sgpa and probably bump you over into the 3.0 range....

But you can't forget about making time to study for the mcat also!

my grad gpa is counted separately, i believe. but doing well in those graduate-level sciences would hopefully mean something

Something else that has been on my mind lately...

How is everyone's family (ies) feel about you going for med school even with a low gpa? I'm single so I can't speak if I had a wife what she would say...

But my parents are split on it. My father doesn't support my plan and argues that I should go into a different career, I'm just wasting time and money, I'll have kids too late, etc...Probably one of the reasons him and I don't talk, and also he lives about 2,000 miles away from me...

My mom, God bless her, has been very patient and is supportive of my plan.

How about everyone else?

my mom is very supportive and she likes that i'm doing the masters so if i don't get into med school (knock on wood), i will have a stepping stone to a different doctoral level degree

my grad gpa is counted separately, i believe. but doing well in those graduate-level sciences would hopefully mean something

my mom is very supportive and she likes that i'm doing the masters so if i don't get into med school (knock on wood), i will have a stepping stone to a different doctoral level degree

Are you sure about your grad sgpa being accounted separately?

Several DO schools and MD schools I have spoken to have said they average in your grad gpa...

DO schools will just replace a retaken class grade with the newest grade

Members don't see this ad :)
Well dang, you ain't making this any easier girl! Lol

Hey if things were easy, I'd be a doc already!

I am debating on submitting and say... here we go! I know that the 3/4 DO schools I am interested in do not auto screen, and of course my home state school autoscreens MCAT scores *damn you verbal*.

For those that are married, I don't know how you guys do it!

I feel so selfish right now in achieving my goals that I don't feel like I have anything to give to a deserving woman right now. A part me wants a serious gf/wife but then I see how I barely have time to play with my dog! LoL

"How is everyone's family (ies) feel about you going for med school even with a low gpa? I'm single so I can't speak if I had a wife what she would say..."

My parents are both doctors, and since they know how hard it is to get into medical school, especially with my low GPA, they were supportive but I could tell that they didn't think it would actually happen. They were super happy for me when it did though :)
My husband was amazingly supportive. I put my family through some tough financial times when I quit my job to retake classes in preparation for applying to med school, but he knew how important medicine was to me, and supported me without complaint.
Well I'm an African-American female and in the AA community, if you can't get in straight through, people wonder why the hell are you wasting your time by doing MORE schooling! Obviously you were t smart enough and should do something else. It really pisses me off! I have to constantly explain to family members why I have to go this route. My sister is the only person that really understands bc she was non-traditional and did post-bac.

Reactions: 3 users
All -- I am hoping to gain some of your insight on my current situation. Here it goes:
Degree in Comp Sci back in 1998, with a 2.7 overall. Started back on the path to med school in 2009, went back and completed a Bio degree, with a cGPA 3.6 (basically all science classes). The problem is: I calculated my overall GPA is 2.88, with sGPA 2.83. At this point I would need roughly 25 more credits of A's to offset my undergrad to the 3.0 range. I am working full time and studying for the MCAT for the end of August. My grades would have been better during my Bio degree, however, I ended up in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Gallbladder surgery, among many other things. (I think I'm lucky I hit a 3.6 range). My last semester of my Bio degree I pulled a 4.0 with Physics-2, Biochem, Anat-2, and Genetics, once I got my life back on track. I feel deflated and left with little hope at this point to turn things back around. The other kicker to all of this is that I am 38 years old. I'm not sure if I should take another two years and keep taking some science classes through my school, but I'm not sure it is even worth it at this point. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

First post, but I wanted to say that this thread gives me so much hope haha.
I am still a senior undergrad-- bit of a weird situation. Started off with the wide-eyed pre-med thing at my old school-- quickly learned that I wasn't cut out for it (and the university too, I guess) and went through a sort of nervous breakdown. Dropped the premed, continued on with just being a Psychology major till I realized I hated my school, wanted to transfer out, and stopped giving a crap about grades (leading to my dangerously low cumulative GPA and worst idea EVEr) until I transferred schools.

Now, I go to a school that I LOVE in Chicago with a pretty decent reputation as a Psychology major-- since the other grades don't count my current school GPA is like 3.875. I wasn't thinking of going back to pre-med-- but after noticing my school sparked a partnership (even though I knew I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, as the programs start after I graduate), there was that spark and burn within me that was just like "Yeah, eff... I gotta get into medicine anyway I can..." So, I'm back on the drawing board, and trying to go to postbacc after I keep the steady trend of my grades (I will be able to graduate summa cum laude since my school starts fresh when you transfer!) But if we're talking AMCAS cGPA... right now it's at a 2.8/2.9, which bums me out. Calculated it if I get A's/A-'s for the rest of the year until I graduate and I barely hit 3.0 cGPA. My sGPA is terrible (it's like a 2...) -- which is why I'm aiming to get into a post-bacc program.

With grade replacement in AACOMAS, my cGPA would be much higher-- if I average both my 1st school + 2nd school grades (with grade replacement), my cGPA is realistically around a 3.3/3.4, with all A's it will get me to ~3.5.

Any advice? Is going postbac a good idea? Would it be better to take a year or two off, get some life experience and then apply post bac? Or do informal DIY postbac? Either way, I didn't finish all my science requirements (I only took 1 yr bio and 1 sem of gen chem) so I'd have to do prereqs somehow...
Would love some advice/words of wisdom! Thanks everyone! :)

First post, but I wanted to say that this thread gives me so much hope haha.
I am still a senior undergrad-- bit of a weird situation. Started off with the wide-eyed pre-med thing at my old school-- quickly learned that I wasn't cut out for it (and the university too, I guess) and went through a sort of nervous breakdown. Dropped the premed, continued on with just being a Psychology major till I realized I hated my school, wanted to transfer out, and stopped giving a crap about grades (leading to my dangerously low cumulative GPA and worst idea EVEr) until I transferred schools.

Now, I go to a school that I LOVE in Chicago with a pretty decent reputation as a Psychology major-- since the other grades don't count my current school GPA is like 3.875. I wasn't thinking of going back to pre-med-- but after noticing my school sparked a partnership (even though I knew I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, as the programs start after I graduate), there was that spark and burn within me that was just like "Yeah, eff... I gotta get into medicine anyway I can..." So, I'm back on the drawing board, and trying to go to postbacc after I keep the steady trend of my grades (I will be able to graduate summa cum laude since my school starts fresh when you transfer!) But if we're talking AMCAS cGPA... right now it's at a 2.8/2.9, which bums me out. Calculated it if I get A's/A-'s for the rest of the year until I graduate and I barely hit 3.0 cGPA. My sGPA is terrible (it's like a 2...) -- which is why I'm aiming to get into a post-bacc program.

With grade replacement in AACOMAS, my cGPA would be much higher-- if I average both my 1st school + 2nd school grades (with grade replacement), my cGPA is realistically around a 3.3/3.4, with all A's it will get me to ~3.5.

Any advice? Is going postbac a good idea? Would it be better to take a year or two off, get some life experience and then apply post bac? Or do informal DIY postbac? Either way, I didn't finish all my science requirements (I only took 1 yr bio and 1 sem of gen chem) so I'd have to do prereqs somehow...
Would love some advice/words of wisdom! Thanks everyone! :)

Welcome DPU; I'm a former Psych PhD student; congrats on pursuing medicine. A DIY program can allow for a lot more flexibility and you can save a lot of money doing your classes at a community college or state school. A Post Bacc is only a good idea if you can afford it and have the time to solely dedicate. A Post Bacc does not give you any additional advantage when applying to Med school than a DIY. You should be doing EC's as you are working on your pre-reqs.

Every post Bacc is different so if you are interested, I would suggest checking out programs in your area's and seeing what there specific requirements are. The only real benefit of a Post Bacc is that they are structured however keep in mind, not all post Bacc's may meet the needs of the Medical schools you are applying to so you should always check the program requirements for schools that you have your eye on. In your case DO programs are feasible so consider becoming familiar with their requirements. Keep in mind that many DO programs require or strongly recommend an LOR from a DO so looking at the program guidelines is a must.

All -- I am hoping to gain some of your insight on my current situation. Here it goes:
Degree in Comp Sci back in 1998, with a 2.7 overall. Started back on the path to med school in 2009, went back and completed a Bio degree, with a cGPA 3.6 (basically all science classes). The problem is: I calculated my overall GPA is 2.88, with sGPA 2.83. At this point I would need roughly 25 more credits of A's to offset my undergrad to the 3.0 range. I am working full time and studying for the MCAT for the end of August. My grades would have been better during my Bio degree, however, I ended up in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Gallbladder surgery, among many other things. (I think I'm lucky I hit a 3.6 range). My last semester of my Bio degree I pulled a 4.0 with Physics-2, Biochem, Anat-2, and Genetics, once I got my life back on track. I feel deflated and left with little hope at this point to turn things back around. The other kicker to all of this is that I am 38 years old. I'm not sure if I should take another two years and keep taking some science classes through my school, but I'm not sure it is even worth it at this point. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Have you calculated what you DO gpa is with the grade replacement?

Are you sure about your grad sgpa being accounted separately?

Several DO schools and MD schools I have spoken to have said they average in your grad gpa...

DO schools will just replace a retaken class grade with the newest grade

do you remember which said they'd average it? i'm 95% certain AMCAS gives you separate gpas for undergrad and grad work

Reactions: 1 user
Have you calculated what you DO gpa is with the grade replacement?

I have not looked at the DO option as of yet since most of my bad grades were in Math and Computer Science Classes. Thus, my new course work was in Biology and I had no need to retake any of the math classes. (My old courses were on the quarter based system as well, and I didn't think it would help me to re-take Calc II, Calc III, Numerical Methods, etc).

In your case DO programs are feasible so consider becoming familiar with their requirements. Keep in mind that many DO programs require or strongly recommend an LOR from a DO so looking at the program guidelines is a must.

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. I honestly didn't realize that the AMCAS (and I am just starting with the whole grade calculating thing, so I had no idea) did not have a 'grade replacement' policy like AACOMAS does. DO is looking a lot more feasible and realistic to me now. Talked to my advisor who told me that it would probably be best if I took a gap year or two to work and get "life experience" but not sure how that will turn out... if I get a 4.0 in Sciences, not sure how that would boost my AMCAS up, but either way-- getting a little disheartened in the process but trying to pull through. I'm sure I could boost my sGPA and cGPA up in DIY or post bacc program... but would be difficult.

As for your advice on community colleges, etc-- don't MD and DO schools frown upon your prereqs being taken at community colleges? I know it would save money, but isn't this frowned upon?

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. I honestly didn't realize that the AMCAS (and I am just starting with the whole grade calculating thing, so I had no idea) did not have a 'grade replacement' policy like AACOMAS does. DO is looking a lot more feasible and realistic to me now. Talked to my advisor who told me that it would probably be best if I took a gap year or two to work and get "life experience" but not sure how that will turn out... if I get a 4.0 in Sciences, not sure how that would boost my AMCAS up, but either way-- getting a little disheartened in the process but trying to pull through. I'm sure I could boost my sGPA and cGPA up in DIY or post bacc program... but would be difficult.

As for your advice on community colleges, etc-- don't MD and DO schools frown upon your prereqs being taken at community colleges? I know it would save money, but isn't this frowned upon?

No not necessarily. Admission committee's understand that there is a lot of money to be saved by taking classes at community colleges and also tend to be more flexible with work schedules (atleast in my state). The big state school I go to now only has classes I need in the morning and early afternoon. Nothing at night. So makes scheduling work more difficult.

do you remember which said they'd average it? i'm 95% certain AMCAS gives you separate gpas for undergrad and grad work

The one's in my state average the two together, both md and do schools. So def. check with the schools you are applying to see what their policy is

Hey guys,

So its been a while since I've been on. Things have been busy with the SMP I was in combined with applications and interviews. That being said, I'd like to share my low GPA experience with everyone as many people in my SMP have found my thoughts on the matter useful.

Background: I was an economics major at Vanderbilt and graduated with a dazzling 2.9 cGPA with a sGPA (because we were forced to take some science classes) of 2.3. Ventured off into the working world and hated cubicles and finance in general and decided to do a post-bac and go to med school. I got a 3.9 in the post-bac which brought my cGPA to a 3.2 and sGPA to a 3.4, so still nothing stellar there but it was an improvement. I got a very nice mcat score but I applied with a sloppy, rushed (and late) application without a single interview coming of it. I applied to a SMP very shortly after I realized I'd have to try again. After being accepted to the SMP, I applied again to roughly 30 schools. I ended up with 9 interviews (due to submitting my application on the first day and making sure the application itself was beyond polished). And to make a long story short, my medical school orientation begins on Monday.

The point: Low GPAs can be overcome. Apply broadly, own your past, and explain how you are a different person than the one who got the low GPA. Make your application sparking, prepare for your interviews, and above all, show the schools the passion for medicine that made you turn your life around to pursue it as a career. If you do that, you'll be better off than most I assure you.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle.

-cj8

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

So its been a while since I've been on. Things have been busy with the SMP I was in combined with applications and interviews. That being said, I'd like to share my low GPA experience with everyone as many people in my SMP have found my thoughts on the matter useful.

Background: I was an economics major at Vanderbilt and graduated with a dazzling 2.9 cGPA with a sGPA (because we were forced to take some science classes) of 2.3. Ventured off into the working world and hated cubicles and finance in general and decided to do a post-bac and go to med school. I got a 3.9 in the post-bac which brought my cGPA to a 3.2 and sGPA to a 3.4, so still nothing stellar there but it was an improvement. I got a very nice mcat score but I applied with a sloppy, rushed (and late) application without a single interview coming of it. I applied to a SMP very shortly after I realized I'd have to try again. After being accepted to the SMP, I applied again to roughly 30 schools. I ended up with 9 interviews (due to submitting my application on the first day and making sure the application itself was beyond polished). And to make a long story short, my medical school orientation begins on Monday.

The point: Low GPAs can be overcome. Apply broadly, own your past, and explain how you are a different person than the one who got the low GPA. Make your application sparking, prepare for your interviews, and above all, show the schools the passion for medicine that made you turn your life around to pursue it as a career. If you do that, you'll be better off than most I assure you.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle.

-cj8

Wow. Congrats on the acceptance and keep us updated on 1st year!

For those that are married, I don't know how you guys do it!

I feel so selfish right now in achieving my goals that I don't feel like I have anything to give to a deserving woman right now. A part me wants a serious gf/wife but then I see how I barely have time to play with my dog! LoL

I'm single too and haven't been in a serious relationship ever in my life. Life is busy enough and I more than relate with wanting to still have time to spend with your dogs! :p

I wanted to ask you guys, is there such a thing as having retaken too many classes that med schools frown upon? I mean, I could see it if you had to retake EVERY one of your science courses but that's an extreme case.

In my case, I've already retaken Organic Chem I lecture and Physics I. I will be finishing my last semester of my undergrad this fall with all science classes that will be taken. However, as a means to bring my cGPA and sGPA up, I plan to retake classes that I got Cs in: Organic Chem II lecture, Biochemistry, and Cell Biology, In addition, I want to take on extra courses to show that I am capable of doing well in higher up courses such as Immunology, Anatomy, and Microbiology and go from there to see where my gpa is at. I currently have a cGPA of 2.8 and an sGPA of about 2.7.

Edit: I plan to work full-time after this fall so any courses retaken/or new courses taken after will be done on a part-time basis.

Last edited:
This thread is exactly the kind I've been looking for! It's great to hear all these non-trad stories...

I'm a 30 year old paramedic who works two full-time jobs at ~70 hours per week total and have been taking two classes a semester for the past couple years. I'm married with two (three in October) children who my wife happily stays home with. I have a BA in political science with a 2.3 cGPA from when I was 21 and I've been working against that ever since. I have about 80 credits post-bacc which has pushed my cGPA up to 2.96... This still makes me nervous because I continually hear how 3.0 is the magic number for schools. My sGPA is 3.52 however so I hope that makes up a little for it. I got a 27 on my MCAT (9/9/9) which seems right along the average for DO school. I applied to 8 DO schools this cycle and so far I have gotten secondaries for them all so I haven't screened out of any yet thankfully... Great to meet everyone and good luck!

This thread is exactly the kind I've been looking for! It's great to hear all these non-trad stories...

I'm a 30 year old paramedic who works two full-time jobs at ~70 hours per week total and have been taking two classes a semester for the past couple years. I'm married with two (three in October) children who my wife happily stays home with. I have a BA in political science with a 2.3 cGPA from when I was 21 and I've been working against that ever since. I have about 80 credits post-bacc which has pushed my cGPA up to 2.96... This still makes me nervous because I continually hear how 3.0 is the magic number for schools. My sGPA is 3.52 however so I hope that makes up a little for it. I got a 27 on my MCAT (9/9/9) which seems right along the average for DO school. I applied to 8 DO schools this cycle and so far I have gotten secondaries for them all so I haven't screened out of any yet thankfully... Great to meet everyone and good luck!

70 hours a week and still time to study and get A's?? Nice job man! I complain about my prn gig lol

Yeah idk how the hell you do it.

I'm single too and haven't been in a serious relationship ever in my life. Life is busy enough and I more than relate with wanting to still have time to spend with your dogs! :p

I wanted to ask you guys, is there such a thing as having retaken too many classes that med schools frown upon? I mean, I could see it if you had to retake EVERY one of your science courses but that's an extreme case.

In my case, I've already retaken Organic Chem I lecture and Physics I. I will be finishing my last semester of my undergrad this fall with all science classes that will be taken. However, as a means to bring my cGPA and sGPA up, I plan to retake classes that I got Cs in: Organic Chem II lecture, Biochemistry, and Cell Biology, In addition, I want to take on extra courses to show that I am capable of doing well in higher up courses such as Immunology, Anatomy, and Microbiology and go from there to see where my gpa is at. I currently have a cGPA of 2.8 and an sGPA of about 2.7.

Edit: I plan to work full-time after this fall so any courses retaken/or new courses taken after will be done on a part-time basis.

All the women in my family/relatives think I will meet my future wife either in med school or residency and most likely she'll be an ob/gyn! LOL

70 hours a week and still time to study and get A's?? Nice job man! I complain about my prn gig lol

Yeah idk how the hell you do it.

It's def not easy... But I consider this my penance. I had a LOT of fun in my early 20s and didn't accomplish much subsequently. Unfortunately I think it's my heavy work schedule that has kept me from a 3.9-4.0 post-bacc like some of you... I only have a post-bacc GPA of 3.57. I just hope I'm balanced enough in the rest of my app to make up for the sub 3.0 cGPA...

It's def not easy... But I consider this my penance. I had a LOT of fun in my early 20s and didn't accomplish much subsequently. Unfortunately I think it's my heavy work schedule that has kept me from a 3.9-4.0 post-bacc like some of you... I only have a post-bacc GPA of 3.57. I just hope I'm balanced enough in the rest of my app to make up for the sub 3.0 cGPA...

Prior military?

Prior military?

Nope... Spent ages 18-25 as a volunteer EMT until I became a paramedic. Worked as a hospital-based medic for the past 6 years. Like I said before... I wasted my early twenties enjoying the wrong aspects of college and my GPA proves it.

Nope... Spent ages 18-25 as a volunteer EMT until I became a paramedic. Worked as a hospital-based medic for the past 6 years. Like I said before... I wasted my early twenties enjoying the wrong aspects of college and my GPA proves it.

I know paramedic school is no cake walk. You must have picked up alot of good studying habits/skills there

Also like the avatar! I remember watching a-team in my younger years lol

Greetings all,

this is my first post, i will be brief.

currently in the Army as a combat medic ( been deployed to Afghanistan OEF 10-11), treated numerous casualties on the front line.
will be separated from active duty in Feb 2014:)
BS in Biology from SUNY (2008)
undergrad gpa ~ 2.95. no MCATs.
Have completed all pre- reqs

I'm very passionate about medicine and wanting to do a post-bacc program. However, after months of researching I am still unsure as to what route is best suited for my particular scenario. I do not have a preference in terms of MD/DO, but given my stats I have humbly accepted the fact that DO is probably more feasible at this junction.

so the question is, would a strong upper division science GPA at a formal post bacc program (over even masters) be more desirable than a repaired uGPA acquired by retakes from say, a local state school? I am aware of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy and the issue arises out of the fact that if I were to retake, I will not be able to utilize my GI bill, as it only affords veterans toward a new degree, with no retakes (told by an LSUS VA officer).

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Greetings all,

this is my first post, i will be brief.

currently in the Army as a combat medic ( been deployed to Afghanistan OEF 10-11), treated numerous casualties on the front line.
will be separated from active duty in Feb 2014:)
BS in Biology from SUNY (2008)
undergrad gpa ~ 2.95. no MCATs.
Have completed all pre- reqs

I'm very passionate about medicine and wanting to do a post-bacc program. However, after months of researching I am still unsure as to what route is best suited for my particular scenario. I do not have a preference in terms of MD/DO, but given my stats I have humbly accepted the fact that DO is probably more feasible at this junction.

so the question is, would a strong upper division science GPA at a formal post bacc program (over even masters) be more desirable than a repaired uGPA acquired by retakes from say, a local state school? I am aware of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy and the issue arises out of the fact that if I were to retake, I will not be able to utilize my GI bill, as it only affords veterans toward a new degree, with no retakes (told by an LSUS VA officer).

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Awesome stuff man!

You're so close with your gpa, if you rock the mcat, and then get your gpa up above 3.0 then there are some MD schools you should apply to also

But you have a great question and its kinda above my pay grade! Lol

Your GI Bill will only pay for a new degree/masters degree right?

Well I just officially finished my last summer class!

Ochem lab was harder than I thought an d it's going to be close to an A...

Two weeks off to work and studying mcat before the fall semester starts. Crazy how fast this summer went by

Your GI Bill will only pay for a new degree/masters degree right?

Thanks for your reply:)

yes, the GI Bill only pays for degree applicable classes, meaning i would not be able to go to a local state school and enroll as a non-matriculating student and just take anything i want without having to pay out-of-pocket.

If I were to go for a DO school, it would be more beneficial to re-take bad grades and replace them with good ones (right?), however that puts me in a financial disadvantage as stated above.

Or I could just apply for a MS or a formal post-bacc, which the GI bill can be used to its fullest extent (thinking about UT Dallas post-bacc (does it even exist anymore?)) however the disadvantage to this option roots from the fact that i have been out of school and the material for so long, and I anticipate any upper division classes would pose great challenges, and it would be too risky of a time/money investment.

are you a non-trad career changer? I remember having a hard time in orgo lab as well and is actually one of the classes i need to retake. are you doing a DIY post bacc or a formal one?

again, thanks for replying!:)

Thanks for your reply:)

yes, the GI Bill only pays for degree applicable classes, meaning i would not be able to go to a local state school and enroll as a non-matriculating student and just take anything i want without having to pay out-of-pocket.

If I were to go for a DO school, it would be more beneficial to re-take bad grades and replace them with good ones (right?), however that puts me in a financial disadvantage as stated above.

Or I could just apply for a MS or a formal post-bacc, which the GI bill can be used to its fullest extent (thinking about UT Dallas post-bacc (does it even exist anymore?)) however the disadvantage to this option roots from the fact that i have been out of school and the material for so long, and I anticipate any upper division classes would pose great challenges, and it would be too risky of a time/money investment.

are you a non-trad career changer? I remember having a hard time in orgo lab as well and is actually one of the classes i need to retake. are you doing a DIY post bacc or a formal one?

again, thanks for replying!:)

That is a tough call. Your gpa will shoot up much faster with retaking all you F,D, and C classes with DO grade replacement. But then you aren't using your GI bill...and paying out of pocket.

If you doing a master, or special post-Bach your new grades will just be apart of the average as a whole but the GI Bill will pay...

Man that is tough...I'm not sure on that. I know there are back door ways into some med schools by doing a smp, special masters program, but those are really expensive and I don't know if your GI Bill will cover it or not. You should make a whole thread in this section or the DO section and lay out your dilemma. More guidance on this would be good.

For me I'm a career changer as well, 26 and single. I'm doing a DIY post-Bach at my main state school. Pay out of pocket so the plan for DO is pretty simple

Well looks like I got a B in ochem lab...

AGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

lol. So much for my 4.0 post bach...

Very borderline for me as well...Which makes me even more mad. Lol and my school doesn't do the +/- system.

I actually did have fun and met some cool kids in it and it was interesting actually getting to synthesize compounds like benzocaine. I actually did really well on my lab reports. The lowest grade I earned was a 18/20. It was the midterm and final that brought me down to the B.

Well I went from a D to a B and it's only 2 credits. Gotta move on and get ready for fall semester that starts in 2 weeks!

Very borderline for me as well...Which makes me even more mad. Lol and my school doesn't do the +/- system.

I actually did have fun and met some cool kids in it and it was interesting actually getting to synthesize compounds like benzocaine. I actually did really well on my lab reports. The lowest grade I earned was a 18/20. It was the midterm and final that brought me down to the B.

Well I went from a D to a B and it's only 2 credits. Gotta move on and get ready for fall semester that starts in 2 weeks!

Congrats on the B, that is still great! When I took O Chem lab, it was 4 credits and I ended up getting a C+ in it...I really disliked it though as it was 350 student class for a lab lecture once a week and then 10 TAs with 16 students per TA. It ended up being a horrible class for me as my group's TA treated students like dirt if they had trouble with getting the techniques down after the first time.

Congrats on the B, that is still great! When I took O Chem lab, it was 4 credits and I ended up getting a C+ in it...I really disliked it though as it was 350 student class for a lab lecture once a week and then 10 TAs with 16 students per TA. It ended up being a horrible class for me as my group's TA treated students like dirt if they had trouble with getting the techniques down after the first time.

Thanks! Intereeting your experience in Ochem lab is almost the same as mine was the first time i took it in a fall semester. This summer we had 30 kids and 3 TA's. Lots of help in running the reactions correctly

Funny how things have changed. Years ago I wouldn't have complained about getting a B. but now I expect nothing less than perfect because I know I am capable of all A's. I just need to tweak my studying habits

I still have my final in Gen Chem 2 to go, but I only need a 38 on it to make an A so i'm not too worried about that. I should have finished 17 credits at a 4.0 this summer after everything is said and done which would bring my post-bacc GPA to a 4.0 over 63 credits. Heres to another 36-38 credits over the next 2 semesters which will hopefully stay at that 4.

Nice job!

What were all the classes you took this summer?