Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very borderline for me as well...Which makes me even more mad. Lol and my school doesn't do the +/- system.

I actually did have fun and met some cool kids in it and it was interesting actually getting to synthesize compounds like benzocaine. I actually did really well on my lab reports. The lowest grade I earned was a 18/20. It was the midterm and final that brought me down to the B.

Well I went from a D to a B and it's only 2 credits. Gotta move on and get ready for fall semester that starts in 2 weeks!

Yes, congrats on the B. :thumbup: Even if you aren't as pleased, it's really great to go from a D to a B. I actually just found out my organic chemistry I retake at CC was a B- so I'm wondering if I should retake that and shoot for an A, or continue on with o. chem II and try to do even better. It's tough trying to make these little decisions. Ugh.

With the whole DO grade policy, will admissions committees ever see how many times a class was repeated? I checked out aacom's site and it kinda confused me. Seemed like that would be the case...

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, congrats on the B. :thumbup: Even if you aren't as pleased, it's really great to go from a D to a B. I actually just found out my organic chemistry I retake at CC was a B- so I'm wondering if I should retake that and shoot for an A, or continue on with o. chem II and try to do even better. It's tough trying to make these little decisions. Ugh.

With the whole DO grade policy, will admissions committees ever see how many times a class was repeated? I checked out aacom's site and it kinda confused me. Seemed like that would be the case...

Thanks and Nice job on the B for ochem 1! I was thinking about it, Ochem is tough, even the lab. So coming out a B, with the majority of the class getting C's, I should be proud to go from a D to a B. I just have all the self-imposed pressure to be flawless now to show med school's I can cut it...

and I kind of have mixed feeling about the +/- system. The first school I went used it and now my current school doesn't.

But to answer your question, yes they see EVERYTHING....

So I def. have some explaining to do about my past...

I just received my summer course grades a few minutes ago, and I am home alone with no one to celebrate my news. I just found out my cGPA is 3.05! I will hang around this thread because I feel at home with the underdog struggles of coping with past mistakes.

Now, with 2 more semesters for my degree, can I get a 3.10 ?!?

Keep up the good fight Non-trads!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my summer course grades a few minutes ago, and I am home alone with no one to celebrate my news. I just found out my cGPA is 3.05! I will hang around this thread because I feel at home with the underdog struggles of coping with past mistakes.

Now, with 2 more semesters for my degree, can I get a 3.10 ?!?

Keep up the good fight Non-trads!

Congratulations!!!

You def. deserve to celebrate the comeback! Enjoy yourself!

I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I wish I could say I had some great memories to account for my low GPA, but the truth is I come from a low income family and have worked full time since high school graduation.

28 now, licensed broker at Fortune 500 investment firm starting a DIY post bacc at the state school starting this fall. Undergrad was a General Studies degree from the same state school with some comm coll credits mixed in. Basically took whatever classes I could when I had the time.

GPA is a 2.65 right now. Transcript has 7 W's and 9 F's, many of which were replaced. I haven't taken any science classes thus far, as they usually weren't offered at night/online/weekends in my area.

I've saved for the last few years to allow myself the time to go back full time and be able to live while doing it. I also have a very supportive significant other who is near completion of her DNP supporting me.

A lot of folks have said it's impossible with the academic record that's in place, but every goal I've ever set out to accomplish was assigned the same prognosis. I'm undefeated so far and have no intent on losing.

This thread is cool. Good to see others are fighting and winning.

I'd like to share my story:

I have a science background and I have geared towards Ph.D programs, but several years of academia research told me life as a professor wasn't for me. Getting a MBA now but the science has never left. I am currently 28years old.

Anyway, here's my stuff:

During undergrad, my general biology/chemistry/physics/biochemistry were C's across the board. When I was preparing for Ph.D programs, I started re-taking those classes, so here they are at the moment:

General Biology 1/2 = A/A
General Chemistry 1/2 = B/B
Biochemistry = B

I have the physics series left. Also, I left out oChem because I was strong at in. I had a quarter system during my undergrads, and I received A/B/A during my oChem series.

Hey all,

New to the forum but thought I would post. I was too embarassed earlier but seeing how supportive you all are encouraged me to post.

I'm a 22 y/o male from CA and I went to a top 25 univ. Graduated this past May, currently studying for the January 2014 MCAT. Took the MCAT last August, got a 26R (7PS/9VR/10BS). I know I can do better and I've been studying for it, but it has been tough.

My science GPA is a 3.08 and my overall is a 3.40. I'm trying to score high enough on the MCAT so I can get into a lower-tier MD school straight. I'm trying to avoid the cost of a post-bacc/master's but will consider it as a last resort (have an acceptance to a post-bacc for next year - deferred this year). Do you guys think it's possible?

I am so tired of getting chewed out by people who don't even know me and just judge me based on my numbers. I know I will make a great doctor in the end. I've really enjoyed shadowing and really like biology/physiology...but cringe everytime I try and study for physics or gen chem. It's so demoralizing, how do you guys motivate yourselves?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

New to the forum but thought I would post. I was too embarassed earlier but seeing how supportive you all are encouraged me to post.

I'm a 22 y/o male from CA and I went to a top 25 univ. Graduated this past May, currently studying for the January 2014 MCAT. Took the MCAT last August, got a 26R (7PS/9VR/10BS). I know I can do better and I've been studying for it, but it has been tough.

My science GPA is a 3.08 and my overall is a 3.40. I'm trying to score high enough on the MCAT so I can get into a lower-tier MD school straight. I'm trying to avoid the cost of a post-bacc/master's but will consider it as a last resort (have an acceptance to a post-bacc for next year - deferred this year). Do you guys think it's possible?

I am so tired of getting chewed out by people who don't even know me and just judge me based on my numbers. I know I will make a great doctor in the end. I've really enjoyed shadowing and really like biology/physiology...but cringe everytime I try and study for physics or gen chem. It's so demoralizing, how do you guys motivate yourselves?

Gets really hard sometimes to stay motivated. When I'm feeling really unmotivated I'll watch some surgery videos on YouTube. Seems to help. Another thing is that hopefully I get this phlebotomy job in a pretty big hospital so I'm hoping that working in a medical setting around doctors and nurses will help me keep my eye on the prize

I was also waiting for the cynical joker to say, "scotch, lots and lots of scotch". lol

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have a good list of MD schools that place heavy weighting on graduate GPA? I got a 2.9 in undergrad and 4.0 in a MS program and am trying to figure out where to apply. Haven't got my MCAT score back yet but hoping for 30-34 range. I know there are some schools out there that have specific formulas that factor grad GPA higher. The only one I've found so far is UNM. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hey, if you can get in, I say go for it. You're gonna be so busy, it won't matter if you hate ABQ. :D

Last day of summer!

Fall classes start tomorrow!

Can't believe how fast summer went by. Craziness.

I've got Genetics, History of Sci. , and Microbiology Lab and then work and then mcat studying.

How is everyone else's semester looking?

My classes start on the 26th. Epidemiology, Micro/Lab, Cell Physiology, Physics II/Lab. I am studying for the MCAT all night.

I am looking forward to next term and my final year UG.
This was me on last day of summer before my freshman year of HS :barf:

Last semester (hopefully) of MS program starts tomorrow. Molecular bio, cellular bio, biostats and gotta finish/start my research project... Then there's work and finishing AMCAS. At least I wrote my PS today and the MCAT is over!

I just have to say that you guys are amazing. If the passion is there, they will feel it regardless of your GPA. Keep up the good work, and good luck!

I just have to say that you guys are amazing. If the passion is there, they will feel it regardless of your GPA. Keep up the good work, and good luck!

But, it's the GPA that invites them to entertain your passion. It's a sad truth that I've accepted as I re-enter the world of science and medicine.

I used to be in science, prepped to apply for Ph.D programs (not 1st author, but I got my name on a publication), but the life of academia scared me. So I ventured out and I am now obtaining my MBA. Currently in a Cisco internship and I realized a day's worth of excel files cannot compare to biology. Simply put, the stuff that I'm doing at Cisco does not wake me up in the morning. And if I have to spend a chunk of my life in a career, it better wake me up in the morning.

It's been a big loop around, but I decided to repair my GPA while finishing up my MBA. I'm not going to sit here and guarantee myself admission into a med school. But at the same time, I'm still getting my MBA, so there's nothing for me to lose.

If I don't get in after my GPA repair and etc., at least I can accept it and say I tried my best. Versus spending the rest of my life pondering "What if?"

By the way, I'm 28 right now, with about ~2years left to complete my MBA program. The timing works out perfectly, I'll use these two years to repair my GPA (I've only got the Physics series to repair), take the MCAT, and gain clinical experiences.

Last edited:
^^ That is def. the main challenge for most of us here, to get our gpa up high enough to get that interview invitee. I firmly believe that most of us here will rock the interview and get accepted on it

Hey, I'm right there with you. BCPM is 3.13 and Cumulative is 3.36, always discouraged when I think of those numbers, but I'm studying right now for the January MCAT (it's been a few years since undergrad, so content review may take longer for me). For physics, which was and is my least favorite subject, I really enjoy the Nova book if you haven't tried that, there are so many practice problems it helps build confidence.

Lmao!

Just got a info packet from Vanderbilt School of Medicine. Sooooo are they telling me there's still a chance....? Haha

With the massive amount of undergrad hours I have already "GPA repair" seems a little out of reach. An A in a 5 hour course will bring my GPA up a whopping .01

If I don't get accepted this cycle I plan to renounce my career and go to graduate school for Neuroscience. I should have my app finished in a few weeks. Hopefully all this extra work will be for nothing :D

Self calculated sciGPA, 2.99 or 3.00, not sure about significant figures.
Self calculated cGPA, 3.01, again not sure about significant figures, if it matters

Planning to take the MCAT January 2014, retake in June if need be.

I have been thinking about this since junior year of college (2 years out of college right now), so it is time I go for this.

With the massive amount of undergrad hours I have already "GPA repair" seems a little out of reach. An A in a 5 hour course will bring my GPA up a whopping .01

If I don't get accepted this cycle I plan to renounce my career and go to graduate school for Neuroscience. I should have my app finished in a few weeks. Hopefully all this extra work will be for nothing :D

What are your stats?

roughly around 3.0 for undergrad. 3.5 on my post-bac/pre-med courses. 29 MCAT. Nothing spectacular

Just got a info packet from Vanderbilt School of Medicine. Sooooo are they telling me there's still a chance....? Haha

I get stuff from DUKE University all the time, until I read that it is located in Singapore (wtf?)

roughly around 3.0 for undergrad. 3.5 on my post-bac/pre-med courses. 29 MCAT. Nothing spectacular

I get stuff from DUKE University all the time, until I read that it is located in Singapore (wtf?)

Is that aamcs or aacomas gpa?

the Duke-NUS (the singapore one) actually has a lot of dukes professors going there to teach classes so the education is actually right on par with what you'd get at Duke. Additionally, if the curriculum is anything like Duke's where the entire 3rd year is devoted to research, you have the opportunity to do research anywhere you want that year which would afford you the opportunity to make some connections with people who could write you letters for your residency applications. Just putting it out there..

-cj8

the Duke-NUS (the singapore one) actually has a lot of dukes professors going there to teach classes so the education is actually right on par with what you'd get at Duke. Additionally, if the curriculum is anything like Duke's where the entire 3rd year is devoted to research, you have the opportunity to do research anywhere you want that year which would afford you the opportunity to make some connections with people who could write you letters for your residency applications. Just putting it out there..

-cj8

I emailed them and they told me that you will still be considered an IMG for the match and the school is mostly for matching in foreign sites accredited by the ACGME.

Hey all of SDN, fellow lurker since high school 2007?

2007-2012
low income - first generation college student
Did undergrad at a UC ended getting-
graduated after 5 years
BCPM - 2.64
Overall - 2.91 (although it says 3.097 on my transcript?)
w/ institutional action (plagiarism)
EC: not much just tons of volunteer and shadowing in the ER.
No research and no paid clinical or work, no one to write my letters for the post bac

Applied to the UC post-bac's and got rejected to all of them.

Present day 2013-

Retaking all my C's D's and F's at community college.
work as an ER scribe at my local hospital
planning to launch a er ambassador program in a few weeks.
first retake at CC and got an A (bio1).
Just finished a Kaplan course and practice test are 24 will probably take in january.
Hoping to find some research and letters for medical school...

I will not give up no matter what... Good luck to all those that are resolute in chasing their dreams.

AMCAS cGPA 2.9, sGPA 2.4
AACOMAS cGPA 3.1, sGPA 3.0
MCAT 29
2 MD II's and 1 DO II coming up thus far. Keeping the hope alive.

Hey all of SDN, fellow lurker since high school 2007?

2007-2012
low income - first generation college student
Did undergrad at a UC ended getting-
graduated after 5 years
BCPM - 2.64
Overall - 2.91 (although it says 3.097 on my transcript?)
w/ institutional action (plagiarism)
EC: not much just tons of volunteer and shadowing in the ER.
No research and no paid clinical or work, no one to write my letters for the post bac

Applied to the UC post-bac's and got rejected to all of them.

Present day 2013-

Retaking all my C's D's and F's at community college.
work as an ER scribe at my local hospital
planning to launch a er ambassador program in a few weeks.
first retake at CC and got an A (bio1).
Just finished a Kaplan course and practice test are 24 will probably take in january.
Hoping to find some research and letters for medical school...

I will not give up no matter what... Good luck to all those that are resolute in chasing their dreams.

While I applaud your resolve, that alone would trash most apps even with a high GPA and MCAT and thats for most graduate schools in general.

Good luck though.

AMCAS cGPA 2.9, sGPA 2.4
AACOMAS cGPA 3.1, sGPA 3.0
MCAT 29
2 MD II's and 1 DO II coming up thus far. Keeping the hope alive.

wow good luck! super impressive! i'm roughly near those stats (lower MCAT) and i'm still waiting for an II

You mean the plagiarism charge?

Yup, there was a thread not too long ago where LizzyM and Goro (both on adcoms, one MD and other DO) both commented about how institutional action was pretty much an app killer.

I'm all for GPA redemption (myself included) but plagiarism, especially if listed on a transcript, is pretty damn hard to overcome and amplify that with low stats pretty much will kill your app.

Though I'd look into contacting individual schools about it. I'd also suggest VERY HIGHLY meeting with the Den to see if there's any way to remove that plagiarism charge from your transcript.

Yup, there was a thread not too long ago where LizzyM and Goro (both on adcoms, one MD and other DO) both commented about how institutional action was pretty much an app killer.

I'm all for GPA redemption (myself included) but plagiarism, especially if listed on a transcript, is pretty damn hard to overcome and amplify that with low stats pretty much will kill your app.

Though I'd look into contacting individual schools about it. I'd also suggest VERY HIGHLY meeting with the Den to see if there's any way to remove that plagiarism charge from your transcript.

Yeah I remember that thread as well. Pretty bad situation.

Agreed. Need to talk to schools

Congratulations m8 :thumbup:

You must have some great life experiences and ECs.

Thanks! It's been a humbling experience already. And yes, I do believe my experiences, EC's, and re-doing a lot of pre-reqs with straight A's has helped the adcoms put a smidge of faith in me.

Either that, or they just find me interesting enough to invite for a chat and have no interest in taking a chance on me. :eek::laugh:

Reading this thread provides me with so much inspiration and to know I'm not the only one in trying to make a comeback with my GPA. This upcoming fall will be my last semester as a full-time student and will finish my degree by December. However, after completing my degree, I plan to retake any courses that I got C's in and then take a few more science classes to increase my sGPA as well on a part-time basis while working full-time and while preparing to take the MCAT. If I can get A's in my last set of courses this semester, I'll be at a 2.91 by semester end and will be so close!

Last edited:
This thread is super inspiring. It gives people like me hope. Keep the stories coming.

Last edited: