Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AMCAS cGPA 2.9, sGPA 2.4
AACOMAS cGPA 3.1, sGPA 3.0
MCAT 29
2 MD II's and 1 DO II coming up thus far. Keeping the hope alive.

II's mean secondaries right? If so, that is awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha. II = secondaries. Seems like a common theme to start abbreviating things as much as possible as we crawl up higher the medical chain.

Reaction = rxn

With = w/

Because = b/c

Anybody else have any other good one's?

II's mean secondaries right? If so, that is awesome!

By II's, I mean Interview Invites. I'm applying to about 12 schools, 8 MD and 4 DO. I received about 10 or 11 secondaries so far and have finished about 6 of them. Of the 6 I've finished, I have 3 interviews scheduled. I should really get going on those other secondaries though.

And thank you! I'm very excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
By II's, I mean Interview Invites. I'm applying to about 12 schools, 8 MD and 4 DO. I received about 10 or 11 secondaries so far and have finished about 6 of them. Of the 6 I've finished, I have 3 interviews scheduled. I should really get going on those other secondaries though.

And thank you! I'm very excited.

I assumed you always get secondaries because it is an easy $50 for the University to not look at your application :D

I too have a low sgpa and hope to get it up I basically failed alot of classes my first year and have now got my gpa to a 3.76 so I am hoping that after taking some chemistry courses I will bring it up I wish everyone the best

This thread truly is a breathe of fresh air. Like most that are frequenting the thread, my GPA is sub-3.0 and it has me very pessimistic about my chances of making it into medical school. Is anyone currently in the process of applying to medical schools? How have you attempted to compensate for the low GPA?

This thread truly is a breathe of fresh air. Like most that are frequenting the thread, my GPA is sub-3.0 and it has me very pessimistic about my chances of making it into medical school. Is anyone currently in the process of applying to medical schools? How have you attempted to compensate for the low GPA?

You can never undo bad grades. They will always be on your record for review. You can, however, remake yourself and prove that you have what adcoms want... an intelligent, professional, altruistic leader that can make it through medical school and will become a great doctor... hopefully.

I for one, believe the only reason I have any interviews at this point is due to my experiences in life, my EC's, and my post-bacc work showing that I have what it takes in the classroom as well, because even after 300+ credits, my overall GPA is sub 3.0 still.

Good luck to you and everyone out there!:xf:

You can never undo bad grades. They will always be on your record for review. You can, however, remake yourself and prove that you have what adcoms want... an intelligent, professional, altruistic leader that can make it through medical school and will become a great doctor... hopefully.

I for one, believe the only reason I have any interviews at this point is due to my experiences in life, my EC's, and my post-bacc work showing that I have what it takes in the classroom as well, because even after 300+ credits, my overall GPA is sub 3.0 still.

Good luck to you and everyone out there!:xf:

Thank you for the encouraging words. I'd like to think that I meet the conditions you prescribed as helping you get interviews with various schools. If anything I don't suffer from a lack of examples of being an "altruistic leader" and "professional". Unfortunately, the intelligent element is hard to demonstrate with my substandard GPA (2.65) despite some solid standardized test scores including the GRE (1300/1600; 5 writing score). The MCAT may be a different story, though I'll find out come September 11th. Anyway, med school applications will definitely be an uphill battle for me.

I just have to say that I can't believe its already football season again....

IF there is one thing that distracts me from studying its college football! haha

~2.8 uGPA (A's: Bio I, Bio II; C's: Chem I, Chem II, Genetics)
3.55 graduate GPA (MS, Mathematical statistics)
Work in research at hospital and have presented research at conferences.

Retaking Chem I this fall at a local university to see how I handle it and will move forward from there. If everything goes well I plan to take chem II, org chem I/II, physics I/II, etc.

I want to apply to a DO program. I have no one to talk to about this as I am afraid to mention my poor scholastic performance to my boss (attending physician, MD). I am worried that I may be doing all of this and, even if I did well in the courses above, would still not have a shot at acceptance.

Any words of advice? Similar stories?

There's always a shot of getting into DO school, especially with the grade replacement policy!

I know how you feel about keeping the past bad grades a secret from others.

But I've come to realize people really don care all that much. We all have issues from our past. What matters is what you are doing right now

Haha. II = secondaries. Seems like a common theme to start abbreviating things as much as possible as we crawl up higher the medical chain.

Reaction = rxn

With = w/

Because = b/c

Anybody else have any other good one's?

II means interview invites, not secondaries, just fyi. I thought it meant secondaries at first as well.

It's encouraging to hear of people with sub-3.0s getting II's based on their upward trend, because that's what I'm banking on. I've applied to about 12 MD and 5 DO, and so far it's been silence except for one ii at a DO program.

There's always a shot of getting into DO school, especially with the grade replacement policy!

I know how you feel about keeping the past bad grades a secret from others.

But I've come to realize people really don care all that much. We all have issues from our past. What matters is what you are doing right now

Thanks for the reply, I very much appreciate it. The issue is that my boss is not the exact definition of "normal". They went to one of the very best medical schools, did their residency at a top medical institution, and they are a leader in their field in both clinical work and research. I am actually very fortunate to have the opportunity that I have to work for them. It is nice that they appear to have such a generous view of my capabilities, but if they knew the truth about my past academics, I fear that any support for me would wane - and they would advise against me pursuing medicine. As it is, I know they would not have the best view of me pursuing a DO (MD elitist mind-frame), which I obviously want to do. So talking to them is, in my opinion and at this moment, not in my best interest.

I am now taking Chemistry I on the weekend and doing full time work in research during the week, which can be very demanding as well. I am 28 years old, married, and my spouse is very supportive of my goal - but I feel like my age and level of risk are limiting factors, beyond my academics. I am not one to easily give up on something, but I am at a point where I am asking myself how realistic any of this is, even in a "best-case" scenario.

In a way, I am interested in internal medicine or pediatrics, and would also enjoy doing a fellowship in epidemiology, to be able to solidify training in research as well as clinical work. This is of course very much on down the road, but assuming this path, I will be about 40 years old when finished.

It is somewhat scary because I feel like I am very, very close to embarking on something that doesn't have a guaranteed outcome, is high risk, but will require a lot of time and money.

I unfortunately put myself in this position to begin with, though these are my worries. Thanks for hearing me out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hoping everyone has had or will have a great start to Fall 2013 classes! Mine start tomorrow, my last full semester too. Anyone taking anything interesting?

This semester I'm looking at: Physics II with lab (5 credits), Plant Bio with lab (4 credits), Animal Diversity Lab (2 credits), Biochem Lab (2 credits), and an online medical drug info class (2 credits).

Thanks for the reply, I very much appreciate it. The issue is that my boss is not the exact definition of "normal". They went to one of the very best medical schools, did their residency at a top medical institution, and they are a leader in their field in both clinical work and research. I am actually very fortunate to have the opportunity that I have to work for them. It is nice that they appear to have such a generous view of my capabilities, but if they knew the truth about my past academics, I fear that any support for me would wane - and they would advise against me pursuing medicine. As it is, I know they would not have the best view of me pursuing a DO (MD elitist mind-frame), which I obviously want to do. So talking to them is, in my opinion and at this moment, not in my best interest.

I am now taking Chemistry I on the weekend and doing full time work in research during the week, which can be very demanding as well. I am 28 years old, married, and my spouse is very supportive of my goal - but I feel like my age and level of risk are limiting factors, beyond my academics. I am not one to easily give up on something, but I am at a point where I am asking myself how realistic any of this is, even in a "best-case" scenario.

In a way, I am interested in internal medicine or pediatrics, and would also enjoy doing a fellowship in epidemiology, to be able to solidify training in research as well as clinical work. This is of course very much on down the road, but assuming this path, I will be about 40 years old when finished.

It is somewhat scary because I feel like I am very, very close to embarking on something that doesn't have a guaranteed outcome, is high risk, but will require a lot of time and money.

I unfortunately put myself in this position to begin with, though these are my worries. Thanks for hearing me out.

Depends on what you really are passionate about in life.

If medicine is truly your passion then nothing can stand in your way from achieving your goals.

Depends on what you really are passionate about in life.

If medicine is truly your passion then nothing can stand in your way from achieving your goals.

I agree - and I will keep moving forward in order to do so. Do you have any thoughts on the plan of action below? I work full time and am also taking one graduate level public health course (last one this fall). I have already taken Bio I and II receiving an A in both.

Fall 2013: Chem I
Spring 2014: Chem II / Physics I
Summer 2014: Organic Chem I
Fall 2014: Organic Chem II / Physics II
Summer 2014: MCAT
Spring 2015: Biochem / Genetics

Any advice or help with my proposed plan of coursework?

I agree - and I will keep moving forward in order to do so. Do you have any thoughts on the plan of action below? I work full time and am also taking one graduate level public health course (last one this fall). I have already taken Bio I and II receiving an A in both.

This is going to be tough if you are working full time. I just don't see where you will find the time to mark high in OchemII/PhysicsII while also studying for MCAT. I tried to do the same and my MCAT suffered as a result.

Does your school offer Ochem 1 and 2 during the summer?

For example, can you take Ochem 1 first for 6 weeks, then go right into Ochem 2 after to finish during the summer semester?

This is going to be tough if you are working full time. I just don't see where you will find the time to mark high in OchemII/PhysicsII while also studying for MCAT. I tried to do the same and my MCAT suffered as a result.

Thanks for the reply. How would you organize the courses? Perhaps I can work something out with my boss during my last year of coursework to cut it down to a part-time employee. The issue is that I wanted to have an MCAT score available before I told my boss about wanting to go to DO school.

Does your school offer Ochem 1 and 2 during the summer?

For example, can you take Ochem 1 first for 6 weeks, then go right into Ochem 2 after to finish during the summer semester?

To be honest, I am new at the school and have only been taking graduate public health courses over the past year. As a matter of fact, the Chemistry I course that I am taking right now is/was supposed to be a test for me, on whether or not to go forward. I hadn't considered anything further due to that. Probably sounds crazy - but I don't trust myself, based on my past, enough to plan that far ahead. Perhaps I should - cautiously- plan ahead a little better.

Thanks for the reply. How would you organize the courses? Perhaps I can work something out with my boss during my last year of coursework to cut it down to a part-time employee. The issue is that I wanted to have an MCAT score available before I told my boss about wanting to go to DO school.

To be honest, I am new at the school and have only been taking graduate public health courses over the past year. As a matter of fact, the Chemistry I course that I am taking right now is/was supposed to be a test for me, on whether or not to go forward. I hadn't considered anything further due to that. Probably sounds crazy - but I don't trust myself, based on my past, enough to plan that far ahead. Perhaps I should - cautiously- plan ahead a little better.

Nothing wrong with going slow and steady. Take one pre-req class at a time. Get the A's and knock them out.

You work full time and have a family to support so its not like you are being lazy and just sitting on your butt only taking 1 class.

Nothing wrong with going slow and steady. Take one pre-req class at a time. Get the A's and knock them out.

You work full time and have a family to support so its not like you are being lazy and just sitting on your butt only taking 1 class.

Great, I think that what you are saying makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

Great, I think that what you are saying makes sense. Thanks for the advice.

NP!

Keep us updated on the Chem I class then if you decide to go forward, which I hope you do, then we can figure out the rest of your schedule.

But don't wait too long cause registration for Spring and Summer Semester starts next month for my Uni.

Le sighh... A place to call home. :)

Here is my story... Went to a gigantic university, got my BS in molecular and microbiology in 2011 (took me 5 years). Graduated with a 2.8 (mostly science), because I frankly couldn't care less about school and just wanted to get the heck out of there. I figured I would find a cushy job in research, but no one told me I needed research experience! :eek: I ended up working various admin jobs and I even taught 5th grade for a bit. I applied for grad school and got in at NYMC. I am currently in my 2nd semester of my masters in pathology with a 3.98 gpa (damn A-). Haven't take my MCAT yet (April 2014) but I am hoping to KILL it, which is what everyone says. Haha! :laugh: I am currently working part-time as a technician in an ophthalmologists office that is on staff at many area medical schools (Columbia, NYU, etc.) so I have daily patient care experience. I also am coordinating a clinical trial for a medical device through my work, so I am getting patient care experience and research work, which will be published, all in one.

I am hoping and praying that my experience, good rol's, and my grades during my master's program will make up for my poor undergrad performance... but I guess we will see!

I love reading everyone's stories. It makes me feel like I am not so alone in this big, bad pre-med world. :love:

It's been a long time coming but I knew I'd end up here.

Graduated in 2009 with 2.75 cGPA. Started off nursing, HATED it and just changed my major to liberal arts just so I could graduate and get my commission in the Army. Did active duty for three years which brings me to present day. I know medicine is my calling because for most of my academic life in high school and college everything I did work and volunteer wise was medical related. Medicine was the only thing I was every interested in when looking at career options. After my horrible experience with nursing I though that the medical field was not for me so I left it. After being away from it for three years I absolutely know it's where I belong. Every time I step into a hospital I just get the feeling of being in my element. I didn't enjoy nursing as much because it was more involved with patient care and seemed to have no interaction when it came to diagnosis and treatment plans. There wasn't any aspect of critical thinking and problem solving like I wanted. I should have picked up on that after the first year of clinical but I thought it would change... Not knowing the difference between the nursing and doctor field I thought nursing would be an alternate route into medicine. I was wrong...

Anyways I'm hoping to start school in the spring. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not a post bacc pre med would be a good program for me to look into or should I just do an unstructured program and take max credits every semester to boost my GPA? Most 'academic enhancement' programs require a cGPA of 3.0. I'm not sure how that's enhancement... I've been trying to google if they have any type of academic grade replacement post bacc pre med programs... The only thing I have going for me right now is I have 100% GI Bill benefits so I can afford to do three years full time...

Here's to hoping for the best for all of us! :thumbup:

It's been a long time coming but I knew I'd end up here.

Graduated in 2009 with 2.75 cGPA. Started off nursing, HATED it and just changed my major to liberal arts just so I could graduate and get my commission in the Army. Did active duty for three years which brings me to present day. I know medicine is my calling because for most of my academic life in high school and college everything I did work and volunteer wise was medical related. Medicine was the only thing I was every interested in when looking at career options. After my horrible experience with nursing I though that the medical field was not for me so I left it. After being away from it for three years I absolutely know it's where I belong. Every time I step into a hospital I just get the feeling of being in my element. I didn't enjoy nursing as much because it was more involved with patient care and seemed to have no interaction when it came to diagnosis and treatment plans. There wasn't any aspect of critical thinking and problem solving like I wanted. I should have picked up on that after the first year of clinical but I thought it would change... Not knowing the difference between the nursing and doctor field I thought nursing would be an alternate route into medicine. I was wrong...

Anyways I'm hoping to start school in the spring. Does anyone have any advice on whether or not a post bacc pre med would be a good program for me to look into or should I just do an unstructured program and take max credits every semester to boost my GPA? Most 'academic enhancement' programs require a cGPA of 3.0. I'm not sure how that's enhancement... I've been trying to google if they have any type of academic grade replacement post bacc pre med programs... The only thing I have going for me right now is I have 100% GI Bill benefits so I can afford to do three years full time...

Here's to hoping for the best for all of us! :thumbup:

It depends on how many credits you already have, and what type of program you're looking to apply to. For MD programs, some look more favorably upon post-bac work while others consider graduate GPAs independently. In a few cases, schools predominantly look at graduate performance. Looking through several schools' websites should give you a good idea of their unique policies. Good luck!

It depends on how many credits you already have, and what type of program you're looking to apply to. For MD programs, some look more favorably upon post-bac work while others consider graduate GPAs independently. In a few cases, schools predominantly look at graduate performance. Looking through several schools' websites should give you a good idea of their unique policies. Good luck!

I've found similar variation with how schools factor grad GPA and in general private schools seem to be much less open about their grad GPA policies. Do you mind sharing the schools you have found that factor grad GPA heavily?

I've found similar variation with how schools factor grad GPA and in general private schools seem to be much less open about their grad GPA policies. Do you mind sharing the schools you have found that factor grad GPA heavily?

Sure! I think it's pretty safe to assume most Med Schools with SMP-type programs (EVMS, Toledo, RF, UCinn, Loyola, to name a few) look pretty favorably at their graduates. A notable exception is Georgetown.

Im currently at a 2.87 which is not great but its alot higher than my 1.2 which I had last summer thanks to grade replacement which is why I will probably end up going the d.o route along with a few other reasons. I am a paramedic and prior to going to paramedic school I did a few semesters of college taking random classes and getting mostly c's then I dropped out totally but did not withdraw which left about 15 credits worth of F grades on my transcript. Unfortunately most of these where science classes and two of them were pre req classes:eek: however I took a semester off and then decided to become a paramedic. I was the valedictorian of my class and passed my boards in 30 minutes on my first try. Since then I have resumed taking credit courses and I have had a 4.0 since and on the deans list every term. I am taking 13 to 14 credits per term including 17 over the summer while working 6 days a week for an 911 ambulance service that runs about 70'000 calls per year with 13 trucks during the day and 10 overnight so you can imagine we are pretty busy. I am also a teacher for a area college in paramedicine and I am a field clinical instructor for the university that I currently attend. My university is affiliated with a major medical system which is known world wide and that is also where my medical command comes from. I am meeting with the director of emergency medicine research at this system this week so I can get some research under my belt also. I honestly think I will be fine for a D.O program as long as I continue my 4.0 which I don't think I will have any problem doing. I still have two repeats which I am completing now and after that I will have about a 3.24. I doing Chem 1 now. My university does physics 1 and 2 in one term so I will complete that in the spring along with chem 2. Then I am doing Organic Chem 1 and 2 over the summer and taking the MCAT at the end of the summer beginning of fall and then I am going to apply for that cycle even though it will be a little late but I can't get in if I don't apply so Im hoping for the best. Im not hung up on MD or DO personally but the only thing that concerns me is licensure for practicing as a DO so I am going to talk to some of the DO doctors at the hospitals I take patients to. I have already talked to one and she went to PCOM and enjoyed it but said I would be better off at an MD just for stress reasons while applying to residency and afterward if I could get into one which makes me consider carribean schools. Anybody else in a similar position with their gpa considering carribean schools or any advice in general would be appreciated. I am also 24 now and will be 25 when I apply which would make me 26 at matriculation if all goes well so I guess that makes me a little more Non Trad in that aspect besides the fact that it will be a career change for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Le sighh... A place to call home. :)

Here is my story... Went to a gigantic university, got my BS in molecular and microbiology in 2011 (took me 5 years). Graduated with a 2.8 (mostly science), because I frankly couldn't care less about school and just wanted to get the heck out of there. I figured I would find a cushy job in research, but no one told me I needed research experience! :eek: I ended up working various admin jobs and I even taught 5th grade for a bit. I applied for grad school and got in at NYMC. I am currently in my 2nd semester of my masters in pathology with a 3.98 gpa (damn A-). Haven't take my MCAT yet (April 2014) but I am hoping to KILL it, which is what everyone says. Haha! :laugh: I am currently working part-time as a technician in an ophthalmologists office that is on staff at many area medical schools (Columbia, NYU, etc.) so I have daily patient care experience. I also am coordinating a clinical trial for a medical device through my work, so I am getting patient care experience and research work, which will be published, all in one.

I am hoping and praying that my experience, good rol's, and my grades during my master's program will make up for my poor undergrad performance... but I guess we will see!

I love reading everyone's stories. It makes me feel like I am not so alone in this big, bad pre-med world. :love:
I really hope someone replies to this. Good luck!

I'm def. focused on DO schools and the AACOMAS grade replacement policy

However, after research on SDN and calling admission offices of several MD schools, there are a couple of MD schools that will just look at your most recent 32-60 credit hours for your gpa...

So it's a long shot but still something I might consider when the right time comes
What?! Which schools are these?

Hi everyone! I was referred to this sub-forum from the "What are My Chances" section by some veteran members of the site. After reading through some of what you all shared, it's a bit reassuring to know that I'm not the only one suffering from a deficient cGPA (2.67). My own bad year a couple of years back tanked my numbers, even though I pulled a 3.6 after I transferred, completed a year & graduated.

Here's my own discourse: I was initially accepted to law school for this semester, but turned it down b/c of a hospital experience I had a couple of years back. In all honesty, prior to that stay & a following diagnosis of an auto-immune condition, I had zero interest in the sciences. But as time progressed I became more and more curious, initially about my own condition but then it branched out to other conditions etc.

I'm currently taking Bio I & a math course while working full-time in the legal industry, but am considering whether to shift to full-time classes & work on weekends instead (according to my advisor, b/c of course offerings only during specific semesters, it will take 3 years full-time to complete all pre-req's; double that time for a conservative part-time estimate). Does anyone have impressions on what they would do if in the same situation? I'm very much aware of needing to maintain the upward trend in grades, but also don't want to be in my 40's when/if I get out of residency.

I'm looking forward to interacting with you all for the foreseeable future. Best wishes!

...I'm not the only one suffering from a deficient cGPA (2.67). My own bad year a couple of years back tanked my numbers, even though I pulled a 3.6 after I transferred, completed a year & graduated....it will take 3 years full-time to complete all pre-req's; double that time for a conservative part-time estimate)....I'm very much aware of needing to maintain the upward trend in grades, but also don't want to be in my 40's when/if I get out of residency.

If speed is a pressing concern, and finances/courseload not so much, it may be beneficial to go for a 1-year SMP (Special Master's Program / Medical Master's Program, etc). SMPs are pricey one-shot deals, though, and risky if you do not perform well.

However, some schools do prefer post-bac undergraduate-type work over graduate work. Your path to medicine in the next few years depends on what type of medical schools you're shooting for, and what works best for your personal situation.

My comeback has been really hard but here goes:

The first year at my big state school I failed every course. I was completely unmotivated and was an extremely reactive person rather than a proactive person. Cum.gpa after that ordeal was about a 1.0. I finally snapped out of it in the summer after that year and applied for a plan of academic salvage which is a plan where you leave the school and attend another school to re-enter to the original school and matriculated as a transfer student it's with a new GPA.

So I went to a local community college and did my time there and came out with a 3.34 gpa (a radical difference from the 1.0 GPA behavior I exhibited in my first year). Ever since I have matriculated back to my big state school, I've had nothing but A's, A-'s, and the occasional B. I'm about to graduate in about 2 semesters(which includes th one I'm currently in) and have nothing but high marks in my final 40 or so credits (mind you, I still have to complete 2 more semesters). My planned cumulative GPA by the time I apply in the 2014 round is a 3.2 calculated AAMCA style with the previous bad year.

As someone who's made a major change in his life, I have to say that one of the most crucial elements to any successful comeback is deep involvement with your community and school. I started out small by joining the student government association at my school and getting involved with lobbying on the schools behalf at my state's capital on several occasions. Now, I just had a wonderful interview for one of the labs in the medical school connected to my current school and am pretty sure I'm going to get the job. Clinical hours are present by the truckload, work experience in the medical field is massive, shadow rotations with several doctors have been conducted, major leader in my community, and it all started by saying yes to an opportunity that came by to join what I thought to be a small little SGA (which turned out to represent the 7th largest student body in the United States).

This whole experience has stretched the normal 4 year college plan I've had in my mind to what will finish as a six year ordeal. But it will be six years of working full time and learning valuable life lessons that have translated into meaningful results that a medical school ad-com can easily see as viable evidence of a complete turnaround. If you can show a medical school ad-com that you've had valuable life experiences, then you can certainly present yourself as a palatable non-traditional applicant who can clearly be a blessing to any school or organization that they are involved in.

That, my friends, is what I believe we should all keep focus of. Good luck to everyone continuing their studies, and God bless.

(Forgive any typos you may see, I wrote the post on my Ipad and the word correction is awful)

Sitting here in micro lab doing acid fast staining!

How is everyone else's fall going so far??

Genetics, Ecology, Histology, and Geography (the fluff class)...

Histology is tough since it's taught by the histology teacher at the school of medicine here. It's a mile a minute.

I should probably write an inspirational post of some kind but for now, I hope this helps.

I was just accepted to arguably the best medical school in my state with a 2.88 (ug) + 4.0 (DIY post bacc) for a 3.1 overall. Above average MCAT, but just so.

My entire last 2 years were coldly calculated to hit every area of the application that this school told me was important. I followed the recipe, and had some amazing letters of rec. from my professors. Lots of prayers, help, and support along the way from family and friends.

In each of my three interviews at this school I had to account for the sins of my youth, so though one certainly won't escape answering for them, they don't necessary count one out for an MD in the US from a respectable school.

Best of luck guys, it's possible.

Last edited:
I should probably write an inspirational post of some kind but for now, I hope this helps.

I was just accepted to arguably the best medical school in my state with a 2.88 (ug) + 4.0 (DIY post bacc) for a 3.1 overall. Above average MCAT, but just so.

My entire last 2 years were coldly calculated to hit every area of the application that this school told me was important. I followed the recipe, and had some amazing letters of rec. from my professors. Lots of prayers, help, and support along the way from family and friends.

In each of my three interviews at this school I had to account for the sins of my youth, so though one certainly won't escape answering for them, they don't necessary count one out for an MD in the US from a respectable school.

Best of luck guys, it's possible.

Thanks for sharing and best of luck to you on your road ahead.

I graduated not too long ago with a crummy cGPA (2.8) and an even crummier sGPA (2.0). I stopped taking the prereqs after I got a D in chem 2. I was really irresponsible the first couple years of college and then when I finally decided to get serious, life got in the way, so to speak. School was on the bottom of my list. I was dealing with issues with my family, losing my best friend in a car accident, depression, anxiety, etc. I hate talking about those things not cause it was a really low point in my life but it sounds like I am making up excuses as to why my GPA is so low.

Halfway through college I started working part time in a hospital as a tech which I really enjoyed. I got to see a lot of things which only reinforced my desire to become a doctor, despite the fact that I saw a lot of things that broke my heart. It's not easy watching kids you get attached to die and attempting to comfort a devastated parent, but the way that those doctors there just knew how to handle it all...It's just something I can only hope to accomplish someday.

So now I am taking classes post bac full time. I had to move to a new university in a new city where I know nobody and left my friends, job, and family behind. It cost me my 3 year relationship with my boyfriend too, who was opposed to me moving. I'm doing well so far in my classes but honestly, I'm miserable. It's hard to make friends and be poor and live off loans and this is only the beginning. I'm starting to lose sight of why I wanted to do this and losing hope. Even after completing my prereqs and retakes, it's still a long, tough road ahead, and I feel like while my 2 year experience working at the hospital was valuable, I don't have much else to offer.

Anyway. Sorry for the long post :oops: I clearly have no one to talk to over here lol but it was good getting some encouragement reading you guys' posts.

I know how it is trying to meet new people at a university. I'm at that awkward age of 27 where i'm too young to be best friends with my professors, and too old to hang out with kids that aren't old enough to drink. The best way i've found to meet new people is simply go to your student involvement office on campus and see if there are any clubs that strike your fancy.

I'll have to try that! I'm currently trying to get involved with a pre-med organization here but even there, I feel like they're being so cut-throat with each other. Looking back on the past few weeks of this semester, the only time I really felt like I was having a "real" conversation was with my professors...I'm 22 so I don't have a huge age gap with me and the freshmen in my classes but I still feel like they're eons younger than me :p

I think I love this forum since no one's bashing since we're all on the same boat and everyone is super supportive which I think will help since I am in a bit of a pickle!

I graduated HS in 2008 and went straight to a community college right after. I went for liberal arts since I went in with no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was 18 and just wanted to waste time and hangout with my friends(something I REALLY regret now.)

Now I am a married 22 year old with a 2 month old and a strong drive to go back to school. I moved from NY to VA and after doing 2 years in NY (not full time) I've managed to end up with a crappy 2.56 GPA. I have about another year left in the CC (I enrolled in for spring 2014) according to my adviser.. and that's only for my associates...

So here is my dilemma..I'm not sure if i stand a chance of getting into an md or do program.
I know I have awhile to go but I'm not sure if my previous grades would damage my credibility even if i manage to get my GPA up to ~3.5. any advice? suggestions? :(:scared:

I'll have to try that! I'm currently trying to get involved with a pre-med organization here but even there, I feel like they're being so cut-throat with each other. Looking back on the past few weeks of this semester, the only time I really felt like I was having a "real" conversation was with my professors...I'm 22 so I don't have a huge age gap with me and the freshmen in my classes but I still feel like they're eons younger than me :p

I would avoid those honestly. Most of the other members are annoying and its usually too large for you to have a meaningful leadership experience, though there are people who can do it.

Also, I think its funny since in my old ugrad, only one person on the executive board actually made it into medical school out of like 15 - 20 people (most of those position weren't important though and made up).

Reactions: 1 users
I think I love this forum since no one's bashing since we're all on the same boat and everyone is super supportive which I think will help since I am in a bit of a pickle!

I graduated HS in 2008 and went straight to a community college right after. I went for liberal arts since I went in with no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I was 18 and just wanted to waste time and hangout with my friends(something I REALLY regret now.)

Now I am a married 22 year old with a 2 month old and a strong drive to go back to school. I moved from NY to VA and after doing 2 years in NY (not full time) I've managed to end up with a crappy 2.56 GPA. I have about another year left in the CC (I enrolled in for spring 2014) according to my adviser.. and that's only for my associates...

So here is my dilemma..I'm not sure if i stand a chance of getting into an md or do program.
I know I have awhile to go but I'm not sure if my previous grades would damage my credibility even if i manage to get my GPA up to ~3.5. any advice? suggestions? :(:scared:

Keep your head up. Many would say your in a better position than most on this forum. MD or DO is very doable. Having less credits is to your advantage because its easier to get your average up. Especially given that your previous credits are at the freshman/sophomore level which are less important. I would work at getting yourself in a 4 year school as soon as possible. Start slow with your prerequisites, it's better to have good grades than difficult classes (although you should have a couple semesters with multiple difficult science classes to show your capabilities when your ready). It's not too early to do some shadowing, make sure medicine is what you want to do. Whatever you do... You have make sure to get A's from here on out. B is not good enough.

Keep your head up. Many would say your in a better position than most on this forum. MD or DO is very doable. Having less credits is to your advantage because its easier to get your average up. Especially given that your previous credits are at the freshman/sophomore level which are less important. I would work at getting yourself in a 4 year school as soon as possible. Start slow with your prerequisites, it's better to have good grades than difficult classes (although you should have a couple semesters with multiple difficult science classes to show your capabilities when your ready). It's not too early to do some shadowing, make sure medicine is what you want to do. Whatever you do... You have make sure to get A's from here on out. B is not good enough.
Yeah hahah, I am just soo good at getting B's! :p!
and yeah once I get my associates in about a year I'm gonna apply to either Vtech or GMU In Virginia to finally get my bachelors. I just hope they don't look down because I switched from a community college to another I just don't have the financial means to get into a university right now and don't want to be in any more debt then I should so I thought this was a cheaper option.
Also to finish this year they gave me a bio class, chemistry, 2 physics and 2 calculus classes..
would it look bad if I didn't go full time but yet rather did a few classes at a time to get all A's?

And thanks so much for your feedback! it really means a lot to me!