Hello non trads,
I have been a long lurker of sdn for the past year when I began to even consider medicine and would love advice.
I began my accountable college career at a community college with absolutely no direction or motivation, I failed and earned a w in college alegbra until I retook it an earned a passing C, I also failed world geography until I retook earning a c-
In high school I hated sciences then did not come easy to me and I earned below 19 on the science portion of the ACT. I never dreamed nor entertained even the idea of a career in science. As I considered myself quite unable to exceed.
I have suffered and recovered from a debilitating disorder throughout my college years which can explain at least some of the grades later on at the University (not being able to get up for class, being consumed by the sickness, taking exams and practically fainting, afraid I would die) besides the general immaturity and foolishness of its beginnings.
The next year I transferred to a college out of state to complete a bachelors in environmental science. My goal was to get a double major degree in environmental science and political science...fast forward 3.5 years later, 2 switches in majors and many c's, a few f's and another w there I have exhibited no grade trend here are my stats, did not but wanted to, participate in research (because of my low gpa) and have now graduated with a Bsc with these stats:
cGpa: 2.75 (with class repeats accounted for by college)
SGpa: 2.65 (same note as above)
Here is the damage:
Bio I: C
Bio II: C+
Genetics: C+
Ecology: B-
1st round Chem I: F
2nd round Chem I: B-
1st round Chem II: W
2nd round Chem II: D+
1st round Physics I: C-
2nd round Physics II: B
Ecological Genetics: D (upper level sci)
Calc I: D
Trig: C
Limnology: A- (upper level sci)
Animal behavior: A (upper level sci)
1st round biostatistics: F
2nd round biostatistics: B-
So now I have come to the realization I really want to become a doctor, I would like to get in before I am 30, and am 24 now. I have no grade trend and even failed the a class in the last semester and had to go back to retake it before earning the degree. It has been 2months since accredited graduation and Now I am very broke and indebted (~40k due to ug) and looking for full time job and destined to find a way to become Doctor _.
My game plan so far is starting by finishing what I need for a bio degree at the community college, which also are prerequisites, I am doing this at one class per semester based on my low paying part time I have now and being obligated to pay for it myself:
-Retaking Chem II (this is in progress now)
-Physics II (summer session)
-Orgo I (Fall semester)
Then take the MCATS, GRE and/or Orgo II, possibly anatomy & physi, micro...
This year I also started volunteering through a local hospital at an old folks home, then will move acute/er for the rest of the year, try to find docs to shadow, demonstrate leadership, other volunteer/clinical opportunities, also very interested in finally getting in some research....
And then finally apply to The SMP at Rosalind Franklin or do if I stand the chance with the news of the end of grade replacement at DO?
I am getting nervous about the upper level sciences course I mentioned above, there is no way I can retake them at the alma mater without moving and breaking the bank.
Could I get in with C's in Bio and the upper levels? The requirement of the RFU SMP program is that C's are required in the prerequisite classes: physics, orgo, Chem, bio, English. Should I retake the bio too? How do I account or balance the other classes not available at cc? Are these class accounted for in do applications as other science courses?
I would appreciate any input from anyone and would really appreciate the $.02
Thanks everyone!