Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Make sure at some point to do more than 1-2 a semester. You'll need at least one or two with more - otherwise it's doesn't show them you can handle the rigors of medical school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I'm active duty military right now, so I think full-time would be academic suicide... but, I do plan on going full-time for a year or two when I'm out.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm active duty military right now, so I think full-time would be academic suicide... but, I do plan on going full-time for a year or two when I'm out.

For sure, the advice I got was to least have 1 loaded term, so I did it knowing my strength and with classes I knew I would be able to handle. I don't think it even needs to be a year, even just a quarter or two to demonstrate that the ability is there.

Most guys in my mos are doing 6-8 per semester on AD while in a non-operational tour. By stringing them out, you're putting a lot of distance between that class and the mcat, which would have made me nervous, personally. I agree with you that clustering them is a good idea. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
For sure, the advice I got was to least have 1 loaded term, so I did it knowing my strength and with classes I knew I would be able to handle. I don't think it even needs to be a year, even just a quarter or two to demonstrate that the ability is there.

Just to provide my $0.02, my premed advisor has hold me that adcoms specifically look for high performance in loaded terms for nontrads because they are more concerned about their academic capabilities than say a 22 year old fresh graduate. She has specifically cited problems nontrads who have knocked out 1-2 classes at a time have because it doesn't do much to convince adcoms if they possess the ability to handle a medical school load.

I'm just curious - has anyone done a DIY post-bacc where they didn't repeat grades but have not gotten a second degree?

I'm currently in this process and just started back this quarter. I have to complete my OChem II and III but am also working to improve my uGPA, which AMCAS says is a 3.2.

Anyone with similar experience, I would love to hear from you!

I'm just curious - has anyone done a DIY post-bacc where they didn't repeat grades but have not gotten a second degree?

I'm currently in this process and just started back this quarter. I have to complete my OChem II and III but am also working to improve my uGPA, which AMCAS says is a 3.2.

Anyone with similar experience, I would love to hear from you!

I am a bit confused with your question. I think the answer is yes. The primary reason for someone to obtain a second degree would be to have access to financial aid. One must be degree seeking student to be eligible for FA at a university.

Congrats @MajorUnderDog !! When taking the SMP, were you able to take out loan for COA? Since the grade placement no longer exist I will most likely have to do an SMP but I have a family and a house owner so I will have bills due monthly. Let me know when you are free.

Congrats @MajorUnderDog !! When taking the SMP, were you able to take out loan for COA? Since the grade placement no longer exist I will most likely have to do an SMP but I have a family and a house owner so I will have bills due monthly. Let me know when you are free.

Thanks!

Yes, my loans covered tuition then living. I think living expenses is determined by the individual school and the school's Financial Aid department will work with you. Its not like in the undergrad experience of having to wait through long lines and such. It's much better than undergrad in efficiency, and you are worked with at a more individual level-atleast at my smp anyways. Hope that helps!

I am a bit confused with your question. I think the answer is yes. The primary reason for someone to obtain a second degree would be to have access to financial aid. One must be degree seeking student to be eligible for FA at a university.

Also because of registration rules, most non-degree seeking post bacs have terrible registration issues; at UW you can't register for a class until the first day - which obviously makes things a challenge

You should seriously write an autobiography here to tell the exceptional story. I, for one, would love to read it :)

Thank you! I will most definitely write up a post telling my story as soon as get done with this next exam block.

I want to drive the point home...if I can come back from a 1.9 gpa (that was before I started this thread) to getting accepted then so can anyone else...IF they are willing to put in the work and time. Thats what matters.

Reactions: 12 users
Thank you! I will most definitely write up a post telling my story as soon as get done with this next exam block.

I want to drive the point home...if I can come back from a 1.9 gpa (that was before I started this thread) to getting accepted then so can anyone else...IF they are willing to put in the work and time. Thats what matters.
Yup! Been following you ever since I joined this forum and I cant tell you how happy I am for you. You showed that hard work pays off and you always got back up on your feet. It will definitely give hope to premeds and calm their nerves ;)

Reactions: 4 users
I think it's safe to say that the high majority of us has been following @MajorUnderDog since this thread started. I've rooted for you bud since day one, glad to hear that you've finally made it. This is only the beginning, and am looking forward to hearing from you about your experiences from time to time.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@MajorUnderDog you give us all hope!!! I have barely been on this thread, but to see your status change to Medical Student "Accepted" gave me genuine joy. Congratulations! Can't wait to here about your updated journey.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats Underdog for your acceptance! I'm so happy for you.

With that said, I would like some advice to my situation currently. I graduated with a BS in bio and have a cGPA of 3.05 and a sGPA of 2.5
I am planning on doing a DIY post-bacc, but since I come from a low-income background, I was planning on enrolling at a state university as a second Bachelor's seeking student in order to receive financial aide.
Of course, I don't plan to finish the second Bachelor's, but I was wondering how it would look like in adcoms' eyes?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!!!!!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Dude.

My heart swole and blew up reading this. #friendinmyhead
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
This must feel .. amazing. Don't mind me while I take a deep whiff of these 3rd party internet forum feelz

Dude.

My heart swole and blew up reading this. #friendinmyhead
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
This must feel .. amazing. Don't mind me while I take a deep whiff of these 3rd party internet forum feelz

Thank You!!

Honestly, Its pretty hard right now to describe my feelings. Its been such a long road that a part of me is still in disbelief lol

I graduated high school in 2006...so its been a long journey and the hard part will start this August. I think it will really hit me once I put on the white coat lol.

Reactions: 5 users
First off,

Dear @MajorUnderDog,

Thank you for making this forum and congratulations on the acceptance.:clap: I send you my gratitude, because when I was on the verge of quitting my dreams I found this forum and it has rekindle my motivation to continue to pursue my dream of coming a doctor. :cat:

Secondly,

I was hoping if anyone could help guide me in the right direction. I am currently a senior at a UC and I graduate in approximately 5 months. I am not quite sure what I should do, a post-bacc or a masters. I would prefer a SMP over the post bacc, but at this point I am willing to do anything that puts me back on track to the right path.

I am a Bio Major and my cgpa is 2.98 ( really trying hard to bump it up to a 3.0 before I graduate) and my sgpa is a 2.7. I just took my MCAT about two weeks ago ( reason of my depression and lack of motivation).

So what should I do and what type of plans should I make once I graduate? Thanks beforehand;):)

Last edited:
First off,

Dear @MajorUnderDog,

Thank you for making this forum and congratulations on the acceptance.:clap: I send you my gratitude, because when I was on the verge of quitting my dreams I found this forum and it has rekindle my motivation to continue to pursue my dream of coming a doctor. :cat:

Secondly,

I was hoping if anyone could help guide me in the right direction. I am currently a senior at UCI and I graduate in approximately 5 months. I am not quite sure what I should do, a post-bacc or a masters. I would prefer a SMP over the post bacc, but at this point I am willing to do anything that puts me back on track to the right path.

I am a Bio Major and my cgpa is 2.98 ( really trying hard to bump it up to a 3.0 before I graduate) and my sgpa is a 2.7. I just took my MCAT about two weeks ago ( reason of my depression and lack of motivation).

So what should I do and what type of plans should I make once I graduate? Thanks beforehand;):)
DIY post-bacc. SMP is too expensive. unless cost doesnt matter

First off,

Dear @MajorUnderDog,

Secondly,

I was hoping if anyone could help guide me in the right direction. I am currently a senior at UCI and I graduate in approximately 5 months. I am not quite sure what I should do, a post-bacc or a masters. I would prefer a SMP over the post bacc, but at this point I am willing to do anything that puts me back on track to the right path.

Thank you!

I agree with Ixacex. Also we need to see how your mcat score is. That will determine a lot. If it comes back too low then you'll need to use the summer to get it up. Fall/Spring take classes to get your gpa up. Work in a health care setting, volunteer. If that doesn't yield results then do a SMP linked to a med school. Expensive but worth it IF you crush it.

Best of luck and keep on trucking!

CONGRATULATIONS @MajorUnderDog !! I read your story as a visitor before I decided to make an account.

This is my first post since I signed up for SDN a little over a week ago. I always viewed this site as a visitor from time-to-time but once I found this thread and read so many amazing stories like Major's, I knew I had to sign up. Everyone in this thread is so motivating and I love reading all of your success stories. After signing up for SDN, I couldn't relocate this thread and it took me to now to find it again.

A little about me:

first in my family to attend college
2 years undergrad at a private catholic school as a chemistry (ACS) major (wanted to go into research, only applied there when I was a senior in high school because I didn't think I was smart enough for college, received a scholarship for grades which was ironic)
was on the NCAA D1 cross country team for one semester as a walk-on athlete (I trained for 2 years straight and had a time trial to find my place on the team)
joined the military (reserves), really wanted to give back and serve my country so I enlisted as a medical laboratory technician (training took about 16 months total)
moved to Ohio to work as an MLT while going to school part-time to finish my degree, (currently working full time nights to support my gf, 3 cats, and my family though I do not live in the same state as them, most senior tech on shift)
cGPA: ~2.8 - 2.9
sGPA: ~2.8 - 2.9

I have about 2 more years of schooling left and have to retake physics because I struggled with it at first. I'll be taking the MCAT next spring after I retake physics. I'm starting research this spring and will be volunteering at hospice weekly to provide support and care to patients and the veterans there. I'm hoping to post in 2 years from now an acceptance into medical school and can hopefully help others to have their dreams become their realities.

Thank you for reading my post and wish you all success in all that you do.

Reactions: 1 users
CONGRATULATIONS @MajorUnderDog !! I read your story as a visitor before I decided to make an account.

This is my first post since I signed up for SDN a little over a week ago. I always viewed this site as a visitor from time-to-time but once I found this thread and read so many amazing stories like Major's, I knew I had to sign up. Everyone in this thread is so motivating and I love reading all of your success stories. After signing up for SDN, I couldn't relocate this thread and it took me to now to find it again.

A little about me:

first in my family to attend college
2 years undergrad at a private catholic school as a chemistry (ACS) major (wanted to go into research, only applied there when I was a senior in high school because I didn't think I was smart enough for college, received a scholarship for grades which was ironic)
was on the NCAA D1 cross country team for one semester as a walk-on athlete (I trained for 2 years straight and had a time trial to find my place on the team)
joined the military (reserves), really wanted to give back and serve my country so I enlisted as a medical laboratory technician (training took about 16 months total)
moved to Ohio to work as an MLT while going to school part-time to finish my degree, (currently working full time nights to support my gf, 3 cats, and my family though I do not live in the same state as them, most senior tech on shift)
cGPA: ~2.8 - 2.9
sGPA: ~2.8 - 2.9

I have about 2 more years of schooling left and have to retake physics because I struggled with it at first. I'll be taking the MCAT next spring after I retake physics. I'm starting research this spring and will be volunteering at hospice weekly to provide support and care to patients and the veterans there. I'm hoping to post in 2 years from now an acceptance into medical school and can hopefully help others to have their dreams become their realities.

Thank you for reading my post and wish you all success in all that you do.

Thank you for stopping by and keep us updated on your endeavors! Best of luck!

ACCEPTED!!!!!

Well, it's about time. LOL. Congrats and welcome.
ImageUploadedBySDN1486076555.873093.jpg

I am probably late in asking this, but what exactly is a DIY-post bacc? Is it a program or is it just taking/retaking courses required for medical school at a college?

It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like - Post bacc just refers to taking classes after graduation, so DIY post-bacc is a non-program based path of taking the required classes (or additional classes) - IE doing it yourself.
:)

First off,

Dear @MajorUnderDog,

Secondly,

DIY post bacc. I was in the same boat as you. I wish I had more time and money to do the post bacc then. Now that I am way too old and have taken all the prerequisites, my advisor said to do SMP which is gonna cost a fortune but at least I'll get graduate credits for my backup plan. Don't make my mistakes. DIY POST BACC and get straight As. And of course, kick the MCAT ass from here to Sunday.

Just joined and in the same boat. Luckily I found this thread an we can all get through this journey together.

ACCEPTED!!!!!

I am so ridiculously proud of you. I haven't been around much lately since life has been getting in the way of things, and honestly the past couple of weeks have really been trying. I've been questioning and wondering if it really is possible or if I'm even in a redeemable position. I decided to check back in here on a whim, maybe hoping for some much needed inspiration, and what great news! Seriously, congratulations. You deserved this so much not only for how hard you've been working towards your goal but also the positivity you've helped foster in this thread. Seeing you hurdle past all the ups and downs into an acceptance was a much needed spark of inspiration.

Congrats again! Do come back every so often and let us know how it's all going :)

Reactions: 3 users
Well it's been quite a year since I started on my grade redemption path. Started with a 2.5, and here are how my stats are looking so far:

Completed:
Ochem 1- A
Intro to cells/organs - A
Intro to molecular bio - A
Genetics - A
Cell Bio - A
Molecular processes/experimental techniques - A
Sociology - A
Biochem 1 - B
Biochem 2 - B-
Stats - A
Physics 1 (mechanics) - B+

In progress:
Physics 2 (electricity, waves) - Current
Ochem 2 - Current
Immunology - Current

Future courses:
Biochem 3
Physics 3
Developmental Bio

Extracurriculars:
2 years undergrad research, 2.5 years full-time research with 1 publication in mid-impact immunology journal
470 hrs hospital volunteering with direct patient contact on geriatric psych, acute care, emergency department, and surgery floors
3 leadership positions from undergrad with a homeless clinic, ethnic student org, and student body leadership

So I staggered a bit with biochem. It was certainly frustrating and made me start to question myself, but what's done is done and I've gotta keep moving forward. I still have this term and the next to pull myself up and show strong performance. My current postbac GPA is 3.74, and if I manage to get A's in the rest of my courses I'll be at a 3.8.

I'm slated to take the MCAT this summer, and in addition I'm working on finding a physician to shadow. Honestly I had hoped to maybe apply this cycle but I think it's becoming apparent that I will have to apply next cycle. I'm thinking I'll use this year instead on applying to SMPs, so hopefully by fall 2018 I'll be in an SMP, and at the same time apply to med schools in 2018. If not, then apply in 2019 after my SMP.

Reactions: 4 users
Posted earlier, but not much info. So here is where I am so far:

Currently in my senior year at SBU with a 2.7 cum gpa. Not sure of my s gpa. I applied to a masters program for healthcare informatics and plan to apply for med school next year. Taking the MCAT in August or June depending on study time frame.

My situation is that until recently I had a large tumor resting on my pituitary gland and brain which resulted in the inability to focus or sit brought a lecture without a migraine. With medication I have recently been told that the tumor is no longer there, a blessing from god, hopefully this journey gets back on track.

Please let me know if I should do the masters program if accepted or focus on getting the pre reqs done. I also volunteer at a local hospital and work as a patient sitter. Please let me know of any recommendations.

Pre Reqs Taken:
A&P1: A
A&P2: C
Cell BIO: C+
PHY: B-

Plan to take these courses in the next year and a half:

2 Organic CHE:
2 Inorganic CHE:

Microbiology
Biochemistry
Genetics

Hello non trads,
I have been a long lurker of sdn for the past year when I began to even consider medicine and would love advice.
I began my accountable college career at a community college with absolutely no direction or motivation, I failed and earned a w in college alegbra until I retook it an earned a passing C, I also failed world geography until I retook earning a c-
In high school I hated sciences then did not come easy to me and I earned below 19 on the science portion of the ACT. I never dreamed nor entertained even the idea of a career in science. As I considered myself quite unable to exceed.
I have suffered and recovered from a debilitating disorder throughout my college years which can explain at least some of the grades later on at the University (not being able to get up for class, being consumed by the sickness, taking exams and practically fainting, afraid I would die) besides the general immaturity and foolishness of its beginnings.
The next year I transferred to a college out of state to complete a bachelors in environmental science. My goal was to get a double major degree in environmental science and political science...fast forward 3.5 years later, 2 switches in majors and many c's, a few f's and another w there I have exhibited no grade trend here are my stats, did not but wanted to, participate in research (because of my low gpa) and have now graduated with a Bsc with these stats:

cGpa: 2.75 (with class repeats accounted for by college)
SGpa: 2.65 (same note as above)

Here is the damage:
Bio I: C
Bio II: C+
Genetics: C+
Ecology: B-
1st round Chem I: F
2nd round Chem I: B-
1st round Chem II: W
2nd round Chem II: D+
1st round Physics I: C-
2nd round Physics II: B
Ecological Genetics: D (upper level sci)
Calc I: D
Trig: C
Limnology: A- (upper level sci)
Animal behavior: A (upper level sci)
1st round biostatistics: F
2nd round biostatistics: B-

So now I have come to the realization I really want to become a doctor, I would like to get in before I am 30, and am 24 now. I have no grade trend and even failed the a class in the last semester and had to go back to retake it before earning the degree. It has been 2months since accredited graduation and Now I am very broke and indebted (~40k due to ug) and looking for full time job and destined to find a way to become Doctor _.
My game plan so far is starting by finishing what I need for a bio degree at the community college, which also are prerequisites, I am doing this at one class per semester based on my low paying part time I have now and being obligated to pay for it myself:
-Retaking Chem II (this is in progress now)
-Physics II (summer session)
-Orgo I (Fall semester)

Then take the MCATS, GRE and/or Orgo II, possibly anatomy & physi, micro...
This year I also started volunteering through a local hospital at an old folks home, then will move acute/er for the rest of the year, try to find docs to shadow, demonstrate leadership, other volunteer/clinical opportunities, also very interested in finally getting in some research....

And then finally apply to The SMP at Rosalind Franklin or do if I stand the chance with the news of the end of grade replacement at DO?

I am getting nervous about the upper level sciences course I mentioned above, there is no way I can retake them at the alma mater without moving and breaking the bank.

Could I get in with C's in Bio and the upper levels? The requirement of the RFU SMP program is that C's are required in the prerequisite classes: physics, orgo, Chem, bio, English. Should I retake the bio too? How do I account or balance the other classes not available at cc? Are these class accounted for in do applications as other science courses?

I would appreciate any input from anyone and would really appreciate the $.02

Thanks everyone!

Hello non trads,
I have been a long lurker of sdn for the past year when I began to even consider medicine and would love advice.
I began my accountable college career at a community college with absolutely no direction or motivation, I failed and earned a w in college alegbra until I retook it an earned a passing C, I also failed world geography until I retook earning a c-
In high school I hated sciences then did not come easy to me and I earned below 19 on the science portion of the ACT. I never dreamed nor entertained even the idea of a career in science. As I considered myself quite unable to exceed.
I have suffered and recovered from a debilitating disorder throughout my college years which can explain at least some of the grades later on at the University (not being able to get up for class, being consumed by the sickness, taking exams and practically fainting, afraid I would die) besides the general immaturity and foolishness of its beginnings.
The next year I transferred to a college out of state to complete a bachelors in environmental science. My goal was to get a double major degree in environmental science and political science...fast forward 3.5 years later, 2 switches in majors and many c's, a few f's and another w there I have exhibited no grade trend here are my stats, did not but wanted to, participate in research (because of my low gpa) and have now graduated with a Bsc with these stats:

cGpa: 2.75 (with class repeats accounted for by college)
SGpa: 2.65 (same note as above)

Here is the damage:
Bio I: C
Bio II: C+
Genetics: C+
Ecology: B-
1st round Chem I: F
2nd round Chem I: B-
1st round Chem II: W
2nd round Chem II: D+
1st round Physics I: C-
2nd round Physics II: B
Ecological Genetics: D (upper level sci)
Calc I: D
Trig: C
Limnology: A- (upper level sci)
Animal behavior: A (upper level sci)
1st round biostatistics: F
2nd round biostatistics: B-

So now I have come to the realization I really want to become a doctor, I would like to get in before I am 30, and am 24 now. I have no grade trend and even failed the a class in the last semester and had to go back to retake it before earning the degree. It has been 2months since accredited graduation and Now I am very broke and indebted (~40k due to ug) and looking for full time job and destined to find a way to become Doctor _.
My game plan so far is starting by finishing what I need for a bio degree at the community college, which also are prerequisites, I am doing this at one class per semester based on my low paying part time I have now and being obligated to pay for it myself:
-Retaking Chem II (this is in progress now)
-Physics II (summer session)
-Orgo I (Fall semester)

Then take the MCATS, GRE and/or Orgo II, possibly anatomy & physi, micro...
This year I also started volunteering through a local hospital at an old folks home, then will move acute/er for the rest of the year, try to find docs to shadow, demonstrate leadership, other volunteer/clinical opportunities, also very interested in finally getting in some research....

And then finally apply to The SMP at Rosalind Franklin or do if I stand the chance with the news of the end of grade replacement at DO?

I am getting nervous about the upper level sciences course I mentioned above, there is no way I can retake them at the alma mater without moving and breaking the bank.

Could I get in with C's in Bio and the upper levels? The requirement of the RFU SMP program is that C's are required in the prerequisite classes: physics, orgo, Chem, bio, English. Should I retake the bio too? How do I account or balance the other classes not available at cc? Are these class accounted for in do applications as other science courses?

I would appreciate any input from anyone and would really appreciate the $.02

Thanks everyone!
I heard DO schools are getting rid of grade replacement, correct me if Im wrong. But your best bet is to retake all those classes which you got a D or lower and work to murder the MCAT. Absence of upward trend is troubling and you may have to take couple gap years to do some solid EC and grade fixing. I would email the SMP school and explain your situation and see what they say. But other than that, its going to be a really upward battle but if you are genuinely interested in medicine, you can pull it off. Also, you should see help from tutors or professors because it seems like you're studying wrong.

Question! Ok with my sGPA being 2.8 and cGPA being 3.1 currently it would take 64 additional credits to get my sGPA to a 3.27 and way more to get higher than that. That's alot of extra years, like 5. Lol. I didn't really considered grade replacement before so no big let down there. However, when should I stop. Most classes are 3 credits which take forever to get my gpa where it needs to be. Should I just try to get my sGPA to a 3.1 to match my cGPA? I don't want to be spending a superfluous amount of money on a miniscule gpa difference.
This of course is in regards to the DIY post bac I will be doing. I already qualify for a local SMP, but I don't think that route is wise considering it doesn't do much for you undergrad gpa. And it's stupid expensive for 2 years.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Question! Ok with my sGPA being 2.8 and cGPA being 3.1 currently it would take 64 additional credits to get my sGPA to a 3.27 and way more to get higher than that. That's alot of extra years, like 5. Lol. I didn't really considered grade replacement before so no big let down there. However, when should I stop. Most classes are 3 credits which take forever to get my gpa where it needs to be. Should I just try to get my sGPA to a 3.1 to match my cGPA? I don't want to be spending a superfluous amount of money on a miniscule gpa difference.
This of course is in regards to the DIY post bac I will be doing. I already qualify for a local SMP, but I don't think that route is wise considering it doesn't do much for you undergrad gpa. And it's stupid expensive for 2 years.

I would strongly suggest that you focus on the MCAT over your GPAs and definitely do NOT take an additional 64 credits. That would be overkill. Do a little homework to see what the GPA cutoffs are for DO schools and take enough credits to make sure you clear those thresholds. Some have cutoffs for both cGPA and sGPA, others are just for one or the other. Once you clear the cutoffs, it's all about your MCAT and extracurricular activities.

Your time is better spent rocking the MCAT to prove you can do the work than taking a bunch of DIY classes that move your sGPA a tick or two up.

I heard DO schools are getting rid of grade replacement, correct me if Im wrong.

@Ixacex - Yes, DO schools removed grade replacement this year (without warning), to the dismay of many of us low-GPA folks.

Reactions: 3 users
Agreed, just get everything to a bit over 3.0, and go after the mcat

Get above that 3.0. Remember that every A you earn gets you one step closer to achieving your goal. Then crushing the MCAT is an absolute must. Then SMP linked to a medical school should be the third option. God speed!

I have to say that the whole reason I joined sdn was because of this thread. It gave me hope to try. Congrats @Major

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Since grade replacement is out of the door after May 2017, is it better to take upper level science classes instead of retaking my C's in my other science classes? I already have 138 credits. A part of me still feels I should just to be well knowledgable in all science classes to prepare me for med school, but I also don't want to waste any more time doing things I shouldn't. By December 2017 it will be two years since I graduated and I have just started figuring out what I need to do or where I need to go to fix these mistakes to fufill my dream to become a doctor.

These are all the C's I have accumulated over 4 years...every other science class I got a B or better. As of now I have taken A&P I (got an A) and currently taking A&PII (have an A so far) since graduating. Not sure what I should do next...take new upper level science/math classes or retake my old classes OR just get a 2nd degree????Then apply for SMP or????

Introductory Statistics........................................4.00....C
General Microbiology Lab..................................1.00....C
General Microbiology.........................................3.00....C
Immunology.......................................................3.00....C
Cancer Biology...................................................3.00.....C
General Genetics Laboratory.............................1.00 ....C
General Genetics................................................3.00....C
Cellular Biology..................................................3.00.....C
Virology.............................................................4.00......D (only D besides my retakes...see below)
Immunology Lab...............................................1.00......C

Other:

Calculus I.......................................................... 4.00..... C
General Physics Laboratory II.......................... 1.00..... C
General Physics II............................................. 3.00.... C

*I took calculus 1 twice...the first time I got an F and the sencond time I got a C. I also took Organic Chemistry II twice...the first time I got a D and the second time I got a B. Should I retake them again since they will average out as Cs or Fs?*

Thank you everyone who has replied to my comments and have helped me. I really appreciate all the advice and have taken it seriously. This type of advice unfortunately does not come from our pre-health advisors who only know one track to medical school and don't have experience with the ones that "didn't get it right" the first time.

Last edited:
Since grade replacement is out of the door after May 2017, is it better to take upper level science classes instead of retaking my C's in my other science classes? I already have 138 credits. A part of me still feels I should just to be well knowledgable in all science classes to prepare me for med school, but I also don't want to waste any more time doing things I shouldn't. By December 2017 it will be two years since I graduated and I have just started figuring out what I need to do or where I need to go to fix these mistakes to fufill my dream to become a doctor.

These are all the C's I have accumulated over 4 years...every other science class I got a B or better. As of now I have taken A&P I (got an A) and currently taking A&PII (have an A so far) since graduating. Not sure what I should do next...take new upper level science/math classes or retake my old classes OR just get a 2nd degree????Then apply for SMP or????

Introductory Statistics........................................4.00....C
General Microbiology Lab..................................1.00....C
General Microbiology.........................................3.00....C
Immunology.......................................................3.00....C
Cancer Biology...................................................3.00.....C
General Genetics Laboratory.............................1.00 ....C
General Genetics................................................3.00....C
Cellular Biology..................................................3.00.....C
Virology.............................................................4.00......D (only D besides my retakes...see below)
Immunology Lab...............................................1.00......C

Other:

Calculus I.......................................................... 4.00..... C
General Physics Laboratory II.......................... 1.00..... C
General Physics II............................................. 3.00.... C

*I took calculus 1 twice...the first time I got an F and the sencond time I got a C. I also took Organic Chemistry II twice...the first time I got a D and the second time I got a B. Should I retake them again since they will average out as Cs or Fs?*

Thank you everyone who has replied to my comments and have helped me. I really appreciate all the advice and have taken it seriously. This type of advice unfortunately does not come from our pre-health advisors who only know one track to medical school and don't have experience with the ones that "didn't get it right" the first time.
Yea don't bother with retakes if you got a C but a D is definitely worth a retake. Go over Gpa calculations with different scenarios to see where you will stand at the end of the GPA boost. And also to guage how long it will take you. Take into account what you are willing to do and what you arent. I am avoiding SMPs like the plague because the value isn't there for me personally, but they are an option for others. Example, are you willing to take 3+ years to get your gpa to 3.5+? It all depends on how you plan to market yourself as an applicant. Do you plan on selling your soul for a perfect mcat score (doesn't work I already tried it lol...jkjk) ....

Think about how you plan to sell yourself and how long your willing to play the "get into med school" game.

Another question! So the school I'm gunning for (my local state school) says on the website that graduate work is an app enhancer. My question is how much grad work. I am doing an informal post bac already. But would you say 1 semester is sufficient? I have heard from some staff members that the main reason this was put on the website was to encourage people to do their SMP (which I will not be doing). I mean they are really pushing the SMP, I even called one day to ask about boosting my uGPA and they had the nerve to tell me AMCAS will incorporate SMP grades into my uGPA. Luckily I know better. But if anyone thinks the 1 semester isn't worth it then I won't bother. The reason I ask is that after my post bac work I will have the spring semester before the app cycle opens and I didn't want to waste it if a few grad classes would look favorable.

Another question! So the school I'm gunning for (my local state school) says on the website that graduate work is an app enhancer. My question is how much grad work. I am doing an informal post bac already. But would you say 1 semester is sufficient? I have heard from some staff members that the main reason this was put on the website was to encourage people to do their SMP (which I will not be doing). I mean they are really pushing the SMP, I even called one day to ask about boosting my uGPA and they had the nerve to tell me AMCAS will incorporate SMP grades into my uGPA. Luckily I know better. But if anyone thinks the 1 semester isn't worth it then I won't bother. The reason I ask is that after my post bac work I will have the spring semester before the app cycle opens and I didn't want to waste it if a few grad classes would look favorable.

1 semester isn't meaningless, but I'm skeptical that it would make that much of a difference.

Hey guys due to having a tumor without knowing I did horrible my first year of school (sub 2.0), but with medication which weakened symptoms I enrolled in another university but only able to maintain a 3.0 there. Any suggestions of schools who do not have cutoffs who would look at my increase in gpa. No MCAT yet and a few pre Reqs left to take, just wondering if a few schools that I should be aiming for. Thank you for any and all help

Woke up this morning to interview Invite #5 this cycle...

Went from only one interview Invite last year to 5 this cycle with multiple acceptances.

Hard work and dedication does pay off.

Keep at it everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users