Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone check my plan here? Hoping to apply in 2021. (posted in a pre-allo thread but prob better here)

basic facts:

• s-GPA is either 2.12/54 or 2.43/66 depending on classification. Need 48 or 38 credits at 4.0 to get a 3.0
  • c-GPA is 2.74/192. Need 50 credits at 4.0 to get a 3.0
  • grad-GPA is approx 3.7 for 50-ish credits. (I know it doesn't count, but I'm including it for info. The school is very ugrad focused so many of the classes were 3/400-level classes with more work for the grad students.)
  • over 9000 hours working in academic medicine, some non-medical research things, have some solid volunteering and activity stuff
  • no MCAT yet because I'm only doing that once and not until I get the timeline done

prob bobs:

• Had a loooong journey to get my degree including the usual family/financial/medical drama, multiple schools, etc.. That degree's trend goes up and down, but smooths to a j-shape more or less. The last 57 (the last 2 yrs) were at 3.44.
  • Started a post-bac while doing my master's (same schools and same as where I finished ugrad). 17 credits at a 2.0. HARD STOP.
  • Still need to do most of the pre-reqs (I have bio, chem 1, calc 1, hum/soc/writing covered)

tha plan:

• I'm taking the fall semester off. The last few years with everything have been really rough and I need to regroup.
  • Get a job. Pay down debts. Etc.
  • Review chem and calc 1 stuff in prep for taking chem 2 and calc 2 in the spring.
  • Register for a local CC (cheaper, easier to schedule, less bull****) for post-bacc.
  • Take and do well in ~50 credits at CC, even if not at 4.0 should create a steady trend.
  • Get back into volunteering and hobbies, maybe add some shadowing and med-research stuff.

quez:

• is Spring 2020 to Spring 2021 if it's 48-60 credits enough of a trend? Can't afford an SMP or formal post-bacc, so CC is gonna have to do.
  • obviously "the best possible" MCAT score, but what's the floor-ish?
  • planning on acquiring a fresher clinical experience depending on what's available. good idea?
  • my non-medical research and hobby things: fine to continue, yes?
  • plan for MCAT maybe September 2020 so I can retake in January 2021 if necessary?

What am I missing?

eta: im a 30-something white girl

Members don't see this ad.

• is Spring 2020 to Spring 2021 if it's 48-60 credits enough of a trend? Can't afford an SMP or formal post-bacc, so CC is gonna have to do.
    That should be enough of a trend, but you want to ease into your do it yourself post-bac (you don't want to overload on the number of courses you take). The point of a diy post-bac is to show that the current you has changed and learned from the mistakes of the old you. Aim for a minimum post-bac gpa of 3.5 (the higher the better). In your case, what you need to aim for is a 4.0 to break that 3.0 barrier.

• obviously "the best possible" MCAT score, but what's the floor-ish?
    504+ for DO and 513+ for re-inventors aiming for MD.

• planning on acquiring a fresher clinical experience depending on what's available. good idea?
    its a good idea.

• my non-medical research and hobby things: fine to continue, yes?
    Those are fine to continue. They can be a good talking point for interviews in the future.

• plan for MCAT maybe September 2020 so I can retake in January 2021 if necessary?
    You will still be in the middle of your post-bac. You'll need to have very good time management to study properly for a September 2020 MCAT. Like Goro says "MCAT is just like marriage, you only want to do it once."

Reactions: 1 user
  • Review chem and calc 1 stuff in prep for taking chem 2 and calc 2 in the spring.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but why take calc 2? It seems the top level math needed for most schools is either trig or calc 1. Unless you just really want to take calc 2, I wouldn't expend the effort for such an awful class.

is Spring 2020 to Spring 2021 if it's 48-60 credits enough of a trend?

This seems like a lot of credits for one year. You are looking at either 24 per semester or 30. Even breaking them up into two semesters and a summer would still be unbelievably daunting. I'm not sure if this is a realistic number. Especially while trying to cram in MCAT prep.

If I'm reading everything correctly, it seems that you are painting too short of a timeline. Doing 48-60 credits and prep/take the MCAT with a decent score; all within one year. You really can't afford to do poorly in any of these classes nor the MCAT (I would shoot for a 510 and hopefully land close to it).

Take your time and do it right because deviating from a near flawless execution will leave you in a bad spot.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Made it to med school with a ugpa of 2.79. Don’t give up!

Reactions: 12 users
You will still be in the middle of your post-bac. You'll need to have very good time management to study properly for a September 2020 MCAT. Like Goro says "MCAT is just like marriage, you only want to do it once."

Ugh, I know. I'm still on the fence about waiting until 2022. I know my age isn't Old, but some days I really feel it, y'know? I could do January 2021 MCAT and retake in March (?) if necessary... I'm taking time off from school but not thinking, so I could work on some of the psych/soc/CARS stuff and then take a solid year to handle the some of the science content along with the classes...

This seems like a lot of credits for one year. You are looking at either 24 per semester or 30. Even breaking them up into two semesters and a summer would still be unbelievably daunting. I'm not sure if this is a realistic number. Especially while trying to cram in MCAT prep.

If I'm reading everything correctly, it seems that you are painting too short of a timeline. Doing 48-60 credits and prep/take the MCAT with a decent score; all within one year. You really can't afford to do poorly in any of these classes nor the MCAT (I would shoot for a 510 and hopefully land close to it).

My "I'm only applying 2x and then this is the next thing" thing will need calc 2 and calc-physics.

Spring 20, Summer 20, Fall 20, Spring 21 is the 48-60 credits (like 16/10/16/16). Spring 2021 grades would be in for June 2021 AMCAS opening.

Failed second semester of undergrad. Academic probation. Went to class and never studied and got all B’s after that. Went to grad school for biochemistry and got a 3.8 while studying for the MCAT for eight months straight for three hours a day. Made it into two DO schools. I went to university of Michigan for both undergrad and grad. I was just a lazy piece of ****.
Was your MCAT score around the median for those schools or was it lower or higher?

Was your MCAT score around the median for those schools or was it lower or higher?

Higher than the median for both. Much higher than the one I’m enrolled at now. It doesn’t really matter what your score is compared to the median unless you’re trying to get in. After that, go wherever you want.

Glad I found this place, I’m lost right now and not sure what to do. In less than a week I will be starting my junior year of undergrad. I am a Health Science and Spanish major.

Stats:
  • cgpa 3.143
  • sgpa 2.500
  • spn gpa 3.778
I studied abroad again this summer earning As and 12 credits, so that should help my cgpa a tiny bit.

I do well in all of my courses besides science. I’m aware that it is because of personal issues and a lack of studying/effort. In most classes I’ll keep a B for most of the semester and by the end I’ll have a C. This semester I am taking 3 courses, 2 of which being Genetics & General Chemistry, I believe that I can do really well in them but my current science grades make me doubt myself constantly.

My first question is should I retake some of the science courses I earned Cs in the Summer of 2020? In order to raise my sgpa.

Another issue is I screwed up and forgot about the prerequisites for Med school such as Physics, Calculus, & Sociology. As of right now I can fit in Physics and Sociology before I graduate.

Is calculus a necessity? I read its more of a recommendation and the medical schools I looked up so far haven’t required it.

Also, I will not be taking Biochemistry until Spring and Organic Chemistry until Fall 20’ (my senior year) therefore, I will have to take a gap year after graduation because I know that a portion of the MCAT is over those areas and think it would be best to wait.

Since I’m taking a gap year would I take the MCAT in 2021 and apply for Med school in summer/fall of 2021? In order to attend med school in 2022?

My head is all over the place right now and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this. Thanks for reading!

No calculus is not required. Also shouldn't you have to take one semester of orgo before you can take biochem? I would look into that.

Glad I found this place, I’m lost right now and not sure what to do. In less than a week I will be starting my junior year of undergrad. I am a Health Science and Spanish major.

Stats:
  • cgpa 3.143
  • sgpa 2.500
  • spn gpa 3.778
I studied abroad again this summer earning As and 12 credits, so that should help my cgpa a tiny bit.

I do well in all of my courses besides science. I’m aware that it is because of personal issues and a lack of studying/effort. In most classes I’ll keep a B for most of the semester and by the end I’ll have a C. This semester I am taking 3 courses, 2 of which being Genetics & General Chemistry, I believe that I can do really well in them but my current science grades make me doubt myself constantly.

My first question is should I retake some of the science courses I earned Cs in the Summer of 2020? In order to raise my sgpa.

Another issue is I screwed up and forgot about the prerequisites for Med school such as Physics, Calculus, & Sociology. As of right now I can fit in Physics and Sociology before I graduate.

Is calculus a necessity? I read its more of a recommendation and the medical schools I looked up so far haven’t required it.

Also, I will not be taking Biochemistry until Spring and Organic Chemistry until Fall 20’ (my senior year) therefore, I will have to take a gap year after graduation because I know that a portion of the MCAT is over those areas and think it would be best to wait.

Since I’m taking a gap year would I take the MCAT in 2021 and apply for Med school in summer/fall of 2021? In order to attend med school in 2022?

My head is all over the place right now and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this. Thanks for reading!

I believe the gold standard now that grade replacement is gone is to never retake a C. I would say to put the MCAT out of your mind until you're done with the science courses since that is your area of weakness and the MCAT literally is chalk full of sciences. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
No calculus is not required. Also shouldn't you have to take one semester of orgo before you can take biochem? I would look into that.
I do have to take orgo before biochem, thanks for pointing that out!

I'm so glad to have found this thread! You all are so inspiring and supportive--just what I needed right now! I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some guidance regarding my current situation:

I'm a first-generation Mexican-American male college graduate (30 yrs old). I initially had no intention of any career in healthcare, I was just mindlessly taking community college classes. It wasn't until I began working as an EMT that I discovered I truly had a passion for helping people. Began taking classes to transfer to a university. Had to start at the VERY beginning (which coupled with my mindless class taking, made me accumulate a lot of units). Fast forward several years and some D's and F's, I transferred to UC Santa Cruz with a 2.68 cGPA. I graduated from UCSC in 2016 with a BS in Neuroscience and a 3.53 GPA on my final transcript. In 2017 I took the MCAT and got a 497 (definitely plan to retake). When I use the AMCAS GPA Calculator, it gives me a cGPA of 2.76 and sGPA of 2.43.

I previously had a conversation with Goro who suggested I take an SMP (I also read his thread on reinvention), which is something I'm heavily considering and researching right now. My question is, given my stats will an SMP be enough to make me competitive for medical school? And in what situation would I need to be in to have a shot at MD schools?

Other tidbits of information that may help paint the picture:
  • 4 years experience as an EMT
  • 2 years of experience doing aseptic tissue procurement from organ donors
  • 2 years working for a state-run program that does statewide outreach for victims/survivors of domestic violence, sexual harassment & human trafficking
  • While at UCSC, I did one year of work-study where I assisted an environmental biologist professor in data collection for her experiments
  • I do not have shadowing, volunteering nor research experience
Thanks in advance for all your help!

I'm so glad to have found this thread! You all are so inspiring and supportive--just what I needed right now! I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some guidance regarding my current situation:

I'm a first-generation Mexican-American male college graduate (30 yrs old). I initially had no intention of any career in healthcare, I was just mindlessly taking community college classes. It wasn't until I began working as an EMT that I discovered I truly had a passion for helping people. Began taking classes to transfer to a university. Had to start at the VERY beginning (which coupled with my mindless class taking, made me accumulate a lot of units). Fast forward several years and some D's and F's, I transferred to UC Santa Cruz with a 2.68 cGPA. I graduated from UCSC in 2016 with a BS in Neuroscience and a 3.53 GPA on my final transcript. In 2017 I took the MCAT and got a 497 (definitely plan to retake). When I use the AMCAS GPA Calculator, it gives me a cGPA of 2.76 and sGPA of 2.43.

I previously had a conversation with Goro who suggested I take an SMP (I also read his thread on reinvention), which is something I'm heavily considering and researching right now. My question is, given my stats will an SMP be enough to make me competitive for medical school? And in what situation would I need to be in to have a shot at MD schools?

Other tidbits of information that may help paint the picture:
  • 4 years experience as an EMT
  • 2 years of experience doing aseptic tissue procurement from organ donors
  • 2 years working for a state-run program that does statewide outreach for victims/survivors of domestic violence, sexual harassment & human trafficking
  • While at UCSC, I did one year of work-study where I assisted an environmental biologist professor in data collection for her experiments
  • I do not have shadowing, volunteering nor research experience
Thanks in advance for all your help!
How many undergraduate credits do you have? If you want a decent shot at MD you should consider getting both of your GPAs up above 3.0. I would heavily consider retaking that MCAT after you are better prepared but I have seen people on SDN say that URMs with that score can get into newer DO schools. Shadowing and volunteer experience are essential if you want to get accepted into any medical school, so those take priority over research. Research is not essential but if you want to do it and you can fit it into your schedule then go right ahead.

I would think that in 2 years you need to do a postbac to bring those GPAs above 3.0, obtain a better MCAT score, and obtain shadowing and volunteering experience. After all that, then consider the SMP.

However, Goro is the expert and not me so please consider that when making your plan of attack.

Yes. Even before grade replacement was done away with, people who started with sub-3.0 GPAs were able to get into MD schools after reinvention and AMCAS has never had grade replacement to begin with. I was just looking at Loyola med's stats page and the lowest GPA they admitted this year to their MD program was like a 2.68 giving evidence that it is possible. Of course we don't know that 2.68's story and how they got their MD acceptance but it goes to show a sub-3.0 is not damning especially if you give hard evidence that you're a great student now by performing well on your postbac work.

And even if you check the data provided by the AAMC (aka the infamous table a-23) for people who were admitted to med school by GPA and MCAT, you will very well see there were at least a few hundred sub-3.0 applicants who gained an MD acceptance. DO schools are also still more friendly to re-inventors and you still have a good shot with them too.
How do you see the gpa ranges for schools? I can only find the average stats ):

Hey my fellow sub 3.0ers, just thought I would pop in to give yall a lil light at the end of the tunnel. I was originally a freshman flunk out at 18, have 30 credits of 0.0 GPA went back to college at 30, ended up applying with around a 3.2 GPA and as of today I am a 4th year who recieved his 1st residency interview invite. So keep battling and see this through to the end.

Reactions: 15 users
Hey my fellow sub 3.0ers, just thought I would pop in to give yall a lil light at the end of the tunnel. I was originally a freshman flunk out at 18, have 30 credits of 0.0 GPA went back to college at 30, ended up applying with around a 3.2 GPA and as of today I am a 4th year who recieved his 1st residency interview invite. So keep battling and see this through to the end.

The hope :love::love::love::love:

ACCOMAS cgpa = 2.54, sgpa= 2.1, non-science = 2.85

No kids, single, live alone with my dog, work part time, volunteer at two different organizations, and now I am retaking classes part time

I finished all of my undergrad degree requirements in the spring so I wanted to get my diploma/graduate and then stay at my university as a post-bach But my school has this goofy policy have only allowing non-degree seeking students to only be allowed to take classes for 2 semesters then no more.

So my advisor basically told me to just file for graduation whenever I get accepted to grad school. I can keep taking as many classes as I want/need for as along as I want. I just can't apply for graduation lol. I could graduate then seek another degree but then I would have to be taking more classes I don't need.

So technically I can't call my self a post-bach but I have finished all my degree requirements. All there is to do now is start retaking all my F classes and work my way up through the C's...

My schedule looks like this:

Summer 2013: Microbiology- 3 credits
Ochem Lab- 2 credits

Fall 2013: Microbiology Lab- 2 credits
History of Science- 3 credits
Genetics - 3 credits

Spring 2014: Immunology - 3 credits
Ecology - 3 credits
Algebra&Trig - 4 credits

Summer 2014: Ochem 1 - 3 credits
Ochem 2- 3 credits

Fall 2014: Gen. Biology I - 4 credits
Gen. Chem I - 5 credits

Spring 2015: Physics I - 4 credits

Summer 2015: Physics II - 4 credits

After that I don't know what else to take. I'll have every F and C replaced except Spanish I which is 5 credits....

I take the mcat this September 12th. So I know I need to score really really well on it....
Hey Major,

I know this is an old thread and I see your status as a Med student now...Congrats!!!

I just wanted to see what you final cGPA, sGPA and MCAT ended up being when you applied and got accepted? Also, did you end up going to DO or MD?

Best,

Adubs1985

Hello all,

I've been reading through this thread and thought I'd throw in my stats and get some advice.
I am 26 years old (27 in December).
Undergraduate cGPA: 2.39 (174.0 credits completed :(), sGPA - I took Bio 101 in Undergrad and got a B.

Sooo...my whole family is in the medical field. Grandfather is a cardiologist, father is a pediatric cardiologist, mother is a ICU RN, Aunt is an anesthesiologist, and my brother and his girlfriend are in the medical field as well. I rebelled from a young age against all medicine because I was immature and wanted to be an artist, and I didn't want to just abide the family wishes. I refused to even think about it as an option in Undergrad. My lackluster performance in those formative years are all due to the same ole' excuses; laziness, immaturity, partying, yadda yadda...

Coming out of undergrad with no direction, I eventually gave in to my family's nagging and I turned with an open mind to medicine, working as a patient care coordinator in an OBGYN clinic. And, what do you know...I loved it! Turns out it really does run in the family - along with stubbornness!

I have been seeing people posting acceptances with cGPAs that are sub 3.0. With my large amount of credits already accrued, I don't think I can get a 3.0 after completing pre-requisites + then some, so that gives me some hope... I know that my EC's and MCAT will have to be more than stellar to make up for this.

I am wondering if doing a DIY post-bacc and then trying for an SMP would be the best course of action for me? Or would ya'll recommend doing a DIY post-bacc for the lower level pre-requisites - since I have not completed really any of the sciences - and then doing upper level courses at a 4-year?

And just wondering....does it sound like there may still be a chance for me?

Hello all,

I've been reading through this thread and thought I'd throw in my stats and get some advice.
Undergraduate cGPA: 2.39 (174.0 credits completed :(), sGPA - I took Bio 101 in Undergrad and got a B.

Sooo...my whole family is in the medical field. Grandfather is a cardiologist, father is a pediatric cardiologist, mother is a ICU RN, Aunt is an anesthesiologist, and my brother and his girlfriend are in the medical field as well. I rebelled from a young age against all medicine because I was immature and wanted to be an artist, and I didn't want to just abide the family wishes. I refused to even think about it as an option in Undergrad. My lackluster performance in those formative years are all due to the same ole' excuses; laziness, immaturity, partying, yadda yadda...

Coming out of undergrad with no direction, I eventually gave in to my family's nagging and I turned with an open mind to medicine, working as a patient care coordinator in an OBGYN clinic. And, what do you know...I loved it! Turns out it really does run in the family - along with stubbornness!

I have been seeing people posting acceptances with cGPAs that are sub 3.0. With my large amount of credits already accrued, I don't think I can get a 3.0 after completing pre-requisites + then some, so that gives me some hope... I know that my EC's and MCAT will have to be more than stellar to make up for this.

I am wondering if doing a DIY post-bacc and then trying for an SMP would be the best course of action for me? Or would ya'll recommend doing a DIY post-bacc for the lower level pre-requisites - since I have not completed really any of the sciences - and then doing upper level courses at a 4-year?

A DIY post-bac of maybe 2 years of science classes + SMP (shoot for 4.0 in both) and then over a 508 MCAT and I believe your sGPA will save you when applying to DO schools. MD might be a reach. You MAY not need an SMP if you kill your DIY post-bac and have a stellar MCAT with very good EC's and letters of rec. But even so, this will be 2 years down the road without an SMP and with the SMP (if you want to apply after finishing) you're looking at entering medical school 4 years down the road. You will be in your early 30's. If you are still considering this path, I recommend taking a look at Goro's guide for reinvention and his guide for the DO application process.

A DIY post-bac of maybe 2 years of science classes + SMP (shoot for 4.0 in both) and then over a 508 MCAT and I believe your sGPA will save you when applying to DO schools. MD might be a reach. You MAY not need an SMP if you kill your DIY post-bac and have a stellar MCAT with very good EC's and letters of rec. But even so, this will be 2 years down the road without an SMP and with the SMP (if you want to apply after finishing) you're looking at entering medical school 4 years down the road. You will be in your early 30's. If you are still considering this path, I recommend taking a look at Goro's guide for reinvention and his guide for the DO application process.

Thank you for getting back to me! Hey, I will take DO, absolutely. A doctor is a doctor.

One quick question as I am reading more I am getting conflicting answers - would a DIY post-bacc be best through a CC or a 4-year as a non-matriculated student at a 4-year?

Thanks!

Thank you for getting back to me! Hey, I will take DO, absolutely. A doctor is a doctor.

One quick question as I am reading more I am getting conflicting answers - would a DIY post-bacc be best through a CC or a 4-year as a non-matriculated student at a 4-year?

Thanks!

Some medical schools will not accept more than a few pre-reqs at a CC, however it will be substantially cheaper than going as a non-matriculated 4 year... I'm assuming you at least have a bachelor's at this point in time. You need a bachelors. Other than that... if you have the money do the 4-year university. However, it will be harder than a CC and more expensive.

Some medical schools will not accept more than a few pre-reqs at a CC, however it will be substantially cheaper than going as a non-matriculated 4 year... I'm assuming you at least have a bachelor's at this point in time. You need a bachelors. Other than that... if you have the money do the 4-year university. However, it will be harder than a CC and more expensive.
Just to add my two cents: I had almost the same cGPA (2.408) when I started this journey, and I also did a DIY-pb prior to my SMP. I worked 9-5 and volunteered after work. I took classes in the online, hybrid, and in-person format at 3 different community colleges in surrounding areas. When it was all said and done, I had 5 undergrad transcripts (1 BS, 1 from DE credits in HS, and 3 from DIY-pb). I never had a DO adcom say anything about it, though, they probably secretly thought I was insane. I still got into an SMP & I still got into med school.

Would I recommend having 5 undergrad transcripts? Heck no, lol. Do it all at 1 CC if you can help it to make the application process easier. I just wanted to throw that tidbit out there to share my experience. It will definitely take time, but just be patient. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks!

I would advise you to start your DIY-Postbacc at a 4-year institution vs community college. Based on your current GPA and credits, you will need to take additional upper division BCPM classes to raise your GPA. Your course options will be limited at a CC because they usually don't offer upper division classes. You have a long journey ahead of you, but it is certainly possible. Many people in this thread have proven that. The one thing you have to remember is that there is no room for errors from now on. You have to prove to the admission committee members that the you of you now is not the same you from the past. Keep us updated on your progress. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I would advise you to start your DIY-Postbacc at a 4-year institution vs community college. Based on your current GPA and credits, you will need to take additional upper division BCPM classes to raise your GPA. Your course options will be limited at a CC because they usually don't offer upper division classes. You have a long journey ahead of you, but it is certainly possible. Many people in this thread have proven that. The one thing you have to remember is that there is no room for errors from now on. You have to prove to the admission committee members that the you of you now is not the same you from the past. Keep us updated on your progress. ;)
Just to add my two cents: I had almost the same cGPA (2.408) when I started this journey, and I also did a DIY-pb prior to my SMP. I worked 9-5 and volunteered after work. I took classes in the online, hybrid, and in-person format at 3 different community colleges in surrounding areas. When it was all said and done, I had 5 undergrad transcripts (1 BS, 1 from DE credits in HS, and 3 from DIY-pb). I never had a DO adcom say anything about it, though, they probably secretly thought I was insane. I still got into an SMP & I still got into med school.

Would I recommend having 5 undergrad transcripts? Heck no, lol. Do it all at 1 CC if you can help it to make the application process easier. I just wanted to throw that tidbit out there to share my experience. It will definitely take time, but just be patient. Best of luck!

Thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate it. Time will pass whether I am back in school working towards something or not, so better make the best of it! Also, yes I do have my Bachelor's - just no sciences! NoMessEMS - were you in an SMP that guaranteed you an interview/spot in a medical program?

Thank you all for your input, I greatly appreciate it. Time will pass whether I am back in school working towards something or not, so better make the best of it! Also, yes I do have my Bachelor's - just no sciences! NoMessEMS - were you in an SMP that guaranteed you an interview/spot in a medical program?
My SMP only guaranteed an interview at the time I was in the program. Now they offer guaranteed acceptance.

Hello all,

Currently 27 in an SMP with guaranteed acceptance. PM me for the specific one, in a VERY similar situation to you with a low gpa close to yours. I got into the SMP and have been performing extremely well.. but I understand your situation and concerns. Let me know if you need any advice.

Currently 27 in an SMP with guaranteed acceptance. PM me for the specific one, in a VERY similar situation to you with a low gpa close to yours. I got into the SMP and have been performing extremely well.. but I understand your situation and concerns. Let me know if you need any advice.

Hey! I would love to chat. However, I cannot find how to PM you! I think perhaps you might have to PM me first because of your profile settings?

I told myself that if I was ever lucky enough to get accepted to medical school, I would come back to this thread which has given me so much hope over the years and share my story so that it may give someone out there hope as well. (Apologies for the long post ahead!)

Well...it finally happened. Earlier this week I was accepted to medical school. I have been so humbled, overjoyed, emotional...everything. To give everyone a bit of background, I graduated from college back in 2013 with a 2.75 GPA. No, that is not a typo. It was 2.75. You can chalk it up to immaturity, too much partying, poor study habits, etc. Realizing that if I wanted to give myself any semblance of a chance at med school, I would have to improve my grades. Therefore I immediately enrolled in a 2-year masters program after graduating college. I did okay during those two years, but it still wasn't enough to raise my cGPA above the 3.0 threshold. I spent the next several years working as a scribe in my local ER while applying to med schools for two consecutive application cycles (don't ask me why I chose to apply with a sub-3.0 GPA...it was honestly a hail mary attempt).

Then, during my second application cycle, one of the schools that rejected me offered to defer my application to their SMP program, and I got accepted to that. In a lot of ways, this was a second chance - a means by which I can show admissions committees that I am not the type of student that I was many years ago and that I am fully committed to my journey. I finished this 1-year SMP with a 3.83 GPA, a 510 on the MCAT, and lots of new experiences that I was able to add to my resumé. I made sure to get my applications completed as early as possible this cycle. I was offered two interviews by August, and earlier this week I got the life-changing news that I would become a doctor.

I think what really worked out best for me was spending many years away from school while working in healthcare. I think it really put things in a new perspective and allowed me to begin my SMP program with new study habits and a new work ethic - plus it gave me a lot of neat things to talk about in my interviews.

EDIT: If you have any questions please feel free to message me. I will do my best to respond as promptly as I can. Thank you to everyone who has come before me on this thread with inspirational stories

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone,

I am a recent graduate with a B.S. in Biology working towards getting into med school (MD or DO). I graduated with a low cGPA of 2.871. I was not a lazy or unmotivated student, but I simply did not know how to study properly until later and struggled heavily with performance/testing anxiety. However, I realize that is not an excuse for my low GPA. It's kind of hard to explain my GPA situation without showing your the entire transcript because I did decent in many of my classes (B to As), but there are about 3-4 courses that took a serious toll on my GPA (enough to bring down my GPA significantly). I retook Orgo I two times before getting an A- the 3rd time (I used my repeat-forgive the second time I took it, with the hardest orgo professor "by luck," thinking I'd do well and I obviously didn't, so the A- the 3rd time doesn't factor into my GPA). I got a D in advanced physiology, F in advanced histology (my last semester with As in all of my other science classes).

I am currently working as a research assistant in a virology/infectious disease lab at a reputable university and will be here for ~2 years. After this, I want to pursue a post-bacc/SMP to "reinvent" and show that I can handle advanced science classes. I have been working towards improving my study habits and learning to overcome testing/performance anxiety with professional help.

Many post-bacc and SMP programs have an unofficial GPA cut off of 3.0. I don't know which programs to apply to and whether I have a chance of getting in with a 2.871? I plan to study for the MCAT and take it next summer. My extracurriculars from undergrad are decent and I will work towards improving them even more during my time post-grad.

Do I have a chance of getting into any decent post-bacc/SMP program that will help start me on the path of fixing my low undergraduate GPA and give me a chance to prove to myself/medical schools that I can handle the rigor? There are moments I feel hopeful, but I know that statistically my chances are low when you see the numbers that represent my 4 years of college. I am not losing motivation though. Working as a RA at a medical school and immersing myself in a new and challenging research environment makes me realize more that I want to pursue medicine.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am a recent graduate with a B.S. in Biology working towards getting into med school (MD or DO). I graduated with a low cGPA of 2.871. I was not a lazy or unmotivated student, but I simply did not know how to study properly until later and struggled heavily with performance/testing anxiety. However, I realize that is not an excuse for my low GPA. It's kind of hard to explain my GPA situation without showing your the entire transcript because I did decent in many of my classes (B to As), but there are about 3-4 courses that took a serious toll on my GPA (enough to bring down my GPA significantly). I retook Orgo I two times before getting an A- the 3rd time (I used my repeat-forgive the second time I took it, with the hardest orgo professor "by luck," thinking I'd do well and I obviously didn't, so the A- the 3rd time doesn't factor into my GPA). I got a D in advanced physiology, F in advanced histology (my last semester with As in all of my other science classes).

I am currently working as a research assistant in a virology/infectious disease lab at a reputable university and will be here for ~2 years. After this, I want to pursue a post-bacc/SMP to "reinvent" and show that I can handle advanced science classes. I have been working towards improving my study habits and learning to overcome testing/performance anxiety with professional help.

Many post-bacc and SMP programs have an unofficial GPA cut off of 3.0. I don't know which programs to apply to and whether I have a chance of getting in with a 2.871? I plan to study for the MCAT and take it next summer. My extracurriculars from undergrad are decent and I will work towards improving them even more during my time post-grad.

Do I have a chance of getting into any decent post-bacc/SMP program that will help start me on the path of fixing my low undergraduate GPA and give me a chance to prove to myself/medical schools that I can handle the rigor? There are moments I feel hopeful, but I know that statistically my chances are low when you see the numbers that represent my 4 years of college. I am not losing motivation though. Working as a RA at a medical school and immersing myself in a new and challenging research environment makes me realize more that I want to pursue medicine.

Does your uGPA of 2.871 include all your Fs? Because AAMC/AACOMAS doesn't recognize grade forgiveness. It is recommended that you attempt to raise your uGPA to atleast a 3.0 because of cutoffs, not only for SMPs but also medical schools. DIY-postbacc is usually recommended over doing an SMP because you can work/volunteer while doing a DIY-postbacc and it's also not as risky. I think many people forget that even if you do an SMP and perform well, you still have to apply to medical school so that <3.0 uGPA can still potentially hold you back.

Does your uGPA of 2.871 include all your Fs? Because AAMC/AACOMAS doesn't recognize grade forgiveness. It is recommended that you attempt to raise your uGPA to atleast a 3.0 because of cutoffs, not only for SMPs but also medical schools. DIY-postbacc is usually recommended over doing an SMP because you can work/volunteer while doing a DIY-postbacc and it's also not as risky. I think many people forget that even if you do an SMP and perform well, you still have to apply to medical school so that <3.0 uGPA can still potentially hold you back.

Yes, my GPA includes the one F on my transcript. If I do end up in a SMP or post-bacc program and perform very well, will that balance out my low college GPA even a bit? I'm just worried that the amount of classes I have to take to raise it to a 3.0 in a DIY program won't be worth it in the long run vs. enrolling into post-bacc/SMP programs that consider applicants with a GPA under a 3.0. But I also don't know anything and am open to all options and willing to work towards however long it takes. Also, thank you!

Yes, my GPA includes the one F on my transcript. If I do end up in a SMP or post-bacc program and perform very well, will that balance out my low college GPA even a bit? I'm just worried that the amount of classes I have to take to raise it to a 3.0 in a DIY program won't be worth it in the long run vs. enrolling into post-bacc/SMP programs that consider applicants with a GPA under a 3.0. But I also don't know anything and am open to all options and willing to work towards however long it takes. Also, thank you!

It's really hard to give you a definite answer and tell you "this is exactly what you need to do to have a guaranteed acceptance", but Goro says that their are schools that reward reinvention especially DO schools. What I would strongly recommend you do is download a AAMC GPA calculator on here (search bar), and input each and every class you've taken thus far. Then, input how many credits of hypothetical "As" you would need to raise your GPA to a 3.0. If it's something that is doable, than I would go for it. Less of a headache to have to worry about including which schools your app will be cut out from. If not, than I think the SMP might be your best route. There have been plenty of people showcased on this thread who have been accepted even thought there uGPA was still <3.0 even after reinvention. It's really a case by case thing. However, GPA >3.0 = less HA with school cutoffs. I hope this helps, feel free to keep us updated with progress + questions. Remember, marathon not sprint. You got this champ!

If you haven't already viewed this thread, I would strongly recommend you to.

It's really hard to give you a definite answer and tell you "this is exactly what you need to do to have a guaranteed acceptance", but Goro says that their are schools that reward reinvention especially DO schools. What I would strongly recommend you do is download a AAMC GPA calculator on here (search bar), and input each and every class you've taken thus far. Then, input how many credits of hypothetical "As" you would need to raise your GPA to a 3.0. If it's something that is doable, than I would go for it. Less of a headache to have to worry about including which schools your app will be cut out from. If not, than I think the SMP might be your best route. There have been plenty of people showcased on this thread who have been accepted even thought there uGPA was still <3.0 even after reinvention. It's really a case by case thing. However, GPA >3.0 = less HA with school cutoffs. I hope this helps, feel free to keep us updated with progress + questions. Remember, marathon not sprint. You got this champ!

Thanks a lot! This really helps.

Hi another question! I calculated my GPA using the AMCAS calculator from a forum on here and my cGPA went up to a 2.98. I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but I plugged in all of my courses (even the repeated ones) using a spreadsheet. Do you know how to add in "courses" that were just for credit and not for a grade? I have research credits that don't factor into my GPA, but did add up to my credit hours.

Thought I’d share my story too. Typical idiot undergrad out of high school in 1997. Bombed my classes. Lots of F’s D’s and W’s. Came back to school three years ago and had to dig myself out of a 2.4 GPA hole to make the 3.0 minimum. Sucky part was that I only had hard science left. I averaged a 3.7 over 80 credits and got my GPA to 3.05. I studied for the MCAT like it was my full time job: 10 hours per day, 6 days per week for about 1.5 months. I got a 514. I couldn’t believe it. My first practice was 493. I applied to 40 schools with a good mix of DO and MD schools. I’m an older non trad who spent the last 20 years as a construction worker so I wasn’t even in the health industry but I tried hard to demonstrate a passion for medicine. So far I have 2 MD invites and 4 DO invites. No acceptances yet. I have about 5 or 6 preinterview rejections. I feel like adcoms either like my story or hate it but that’s ok as long as I get in somewhere. I even joined the wrestling club and became the 2nd oldest person to ever qualify for the national championships (club level). Dream big and work hard! Nothing can hold you back but you!!!! Don’t doubt yourself! You can do it and somebody will appreciate your journey.

UPDATE: I just got accepted to my number-one choice MD school. I still haven't been able to digest this fully, but it's real. WE CAN DO THIS! The right med school will appreciate our journeys and transformations. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 29 users
Hi another question! I calculated my GPA using the AMCAS calculator from a forum on here and my cGPA went up to a 2.98. I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but I plugged in all of my courses (even the repeated ones) using a spreadsheet. Do you know how to add in "courses" that were just for credit and not for a grade? I have research credits that don't factor into my GPA, but did add up to my credit hours.

I believe you only factor in credits that affect your GPA, so the research credits won't count. I would email/call the AAMC for clarification though.

Hi everyone, can I just say how grateful I am for this group because it gives me so much hope. Also I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my situation.

I graduated with a 2.4, I honestly gave up after my freshman year. My advisors and my classmates all told me that I would not be able to get into medical school with a C in my core classes after first semester so I was discouraged and gave up and just did not take school seriously because I saw no point. My dream was already gone. I partied a lot and stopped going to classes especially in my junior and senior year when I just stopped leaving my house all together unless I had to. I know its not an excuse and I own up to my laziness. I recently graduated undergrad and have a job now working as a scribe and was promoted within a month of working here because they appreciated my work ethic. I'm generally a good worker, at almost every job I've ever had I have been promoted soon or supervisors have commented on my work. For some reason that work ethic just couldn't transfer over to school. Now after working as a scribe I realize that I do still really want to become a physician and that I never should have given up in undergrad.

I am not sure what to do, I need to make money so I need to keep this job. Finances have always been a big cause of my stress and anxiety so I can't afford to not work and go back to school. I'm planning on retaking my prerequisite courses that I did poorly in to hopefully show admissions committees improvement but I am not sure where to do that where it will actually matter because I feel like a CC won't mean anything.
I also plan on devoting all of my freetime to studying for the MCAT so I can make an above average score (hopefully) which will hopefully make up for my terrible grades.
I know I can get great recommendations from the doctors I have worked with as well as past supervisors/managers etc, but I don't particularly have a professor who can give me a letter of recommendation because I hardly went to class never mind office hours.
I have plenty of volunteer experience from undergrad, work experience, shadowing experience. I just want to know what more I should do because I don;t really have anyone else to talk to because everyone I know is either perfect premed 4.0 gpa or they gave up on med school completely so I'm kind of alone. My social circle who does support me aren't in the medical field so they honestly just don't understand as much they would like to.
Please someone be my friend and give me advice and support and don't be mean lol

Hi everyone, can I just say how grateful I am for this group because it gives me so much hope. Also I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my situation.

I graduated with a 2.4, I honestly gave up after my freshman year. My advisors and my classmates all told me that I would not be able to get into medical school with a C in my core classes after first semester so I was discouraged and gave up and just did not take school seriously because I saw no point. My dream was already gone. I partied a lot and stopped going to classes especially in my junior and senior year when I just stopped leaving my house all together unless I had to. I know its not an excuse and I own up to my laziness. I recently graduated undergrad and have a job now working as a scribe and was promoted within a month of working here because they appreciated my work ethic. I'm generally a good worker, at almost every job I've ever had I have been promoted soon or supervisors have commented on my work. For some reason that work ethic just couldn't transfer over to school. Now after working as a scribe I realize that I do still really want to become a physician and that I never should have given up in undergrad.

I am not sure what to do, I need to make money so I need to keep this job. Finances have always been a big cause of my stress and anxiety so I can't afford to not work and go back to school. I'm planning on retaking my prerequisite courses that I did poorly in to hopefully show admissions committees improvement but I am not sure where to do that where it will actually matter because I feel like a CC won't mean anything.
I also plan on devoting all of my freetime to studying for the MCAT so I can make an above average score (hopefully) which will hopefully make up for my terrible grades.
I know I can get great recommendations from the doctors I have worked with as well as past supervisors/managers etc, but I don't particularly have a professor who can give me a letter of recommendation because I hardly went to class never mind office hours.
I have plenty of volunteer experience from undergrad, work experience, shadowing experience. I just want to know what more I should do because I don;t really have anyone else to talk to because everyone I know is either perfect premed 4.0 gpa or they gave up on med school completely so I'm kind of alone. My social circle who does support me aren't in the medical field so they honestly just don't understand as much they would like to.
Please someone be my friend and give me advice and support and don't be mean lol
I think you’re going to have to do a masters program. You have to prove to adcoms that you have what it takes to handle the difficult med school curriculum. You’re probably not going to get there by retaking a few core classes. I think you need to excel (4.0ish) while taking a rigorous, demanding course load full of science classes. This means you’re going to have to do something you don’t want to do- either love on loans, sell anything you have of value and move in with your folks, or work nights after a long day at school. I am married and have six kids. To fund my education, I lived in an RV three states away working 80 hour weeks during the summer break while my poor wife stayed home alone with my young kids. Going back to school as an older adult sucks but that’s the boat we are in. If you want to prove to them that you’re willing to do whatever it takes to succeed, you’re going to have to SHOW them now by doing something you don’t want to do. If you’re successful, they’ll notice. Best of luck!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring.

cGPA: 2.35
sGPA: 2.4
MCAT: 511

Graduate program/SMP: start this summer.

10+ years medic including level II trauma and flight. Non science research. Volunteer work. Educator positions. Involved with triage protocols, emergency operations, trauma center development. LOR from three DO I’ve worked with closely including faculty member.
My stats are similar to yours and was wondering what program you were able to get into?

I need advice from people who got in with a sub 3.0 cga, and sub 3.0 science gpa with more than 10Fs... realistically speaking I have 14Fs on my transcript 6 coming from one class math college algebra. I am just wondering if there is anyone who got into med school MD or DO with sub-par cumulative gpa and science gpa... because this is what i'm staring into. It's mathematically impossible for me to get a 3.0 in anything because of all the damage I have done. Right now my gpa is a 2.03 but i started retaking classes decided to take 3 and will get all As including that dreaded math 1020 class I have struggled with.

So, am I simply wasting my time trying to become a doctor and should just bury it? I've considered carribean if I can't get into a DO or MD but I also realize this is playing russian roulette and will probably get harder and harder to match if I were to go there. So, if there is someone that did get in how did you separate yourself from everyone else considering your gpa and science gpa was a very weak point in your pre-medical career? I know I need to do well on the MCATs, work in the medical field, shadow doctors, volunteer, have LORs, excellent secondaries... and an SNP (which i'm not sure if I can get into because of the sub 3.0 gpa). Is there anything else I am missing?

Thank you all for your help!

I need advice from people who got in with a sub 3.0 cga, and sub 3.0 science gpa with more than 10Fs... realistically speaking I have 14Fs on my transcript 6 coming from one class math college algebra. I am just wondering if there is anyone who got into med school MD or DO with sub-par cumulative gpa and science gpa... because this is what i'm staring into. It's mathematically impossible for me to get a 3.0 in anything because of all the damage I have done. Right now my gpa is a 2.03 but i started retaking classes decided to take 3 and will get all As including that dreaded math 1020 class I have struggled with.

So, am I simply wasting my time trying to become a doctor and should just bury it? I've considered carribean if I can't get into a DO or MD but I also realize this is playing russian roulette and will probably get harder and harder to match if I were to go there. So, if there is someone that did get in how did you separate yourself from everyone else considering your gpa and science gpa was a very weak point in your pre-medical career? I know I need to do well on the MCATs, work in the medical field, shadow doctors, volunteer, have LORs, excellent secondaries... and an SNP (which i'm not sure if I can get into because of the sub 3.0 gpa). Is there anything else I am missing?

Thank you all for your help!
With enough 4.0s it’s not “mathematically impossible” to get above a 3.0. Might take a lot :) Yes I can understand it being unrealistic. I know someone who had 2.5 gpa, took 40 post-bac units to get it up. It was still barely sub 3.0 and he did an SMP (special master’s program) and is now in an MD school. Granted he did get a 517 on the MCAT and a 4.0 in the program. Some SMPs will look at the most recent X amount of units taken when considering acceptance. However, 2.03 and failed “college algebra?” You have a long climb ahead of you. It’s not impossible, but if you pursue medicine you will be walking a tight rope with no safety line attached. One miss-step and it’s game over.

With enough 4.0s it’s not “mathematically impossible” to get above a 3.0. Might take a lot :) Yes I can understand it being unrealistic. I know someone who had 2.5 gpa, took 40 post-bac units to get it up. It was still barely sub 3.0 and he did an SMP (special master’s program) and is now in an MD school. Granted he did get a 517 on the MCAT and a 4.0 in the program. Some SMPs will look at the most recent X amount of units taken when considering acceptance. However, 2.03 and failed “college algebra?” You have a long climb ahead of you. It’s not impossible, but if you pursue medicine you will be walking a tight rope with no safety line attached. One miss-step and it’s game over.

So I basically need to get Straight A's? A- and B+ is unacceptable? Btw. i transferred from another university with a 2.3 gpa so I know it's impossible to get to a 3.0 gpa lol. I forgot to mention that i'm asking this specific situation because in the summer I tried taking classes 2 that were not science related it was for my major and I was not able to finish them due to a family member getting sick and I need to take care of them more than what I had expected. Since things have stabilized my grades have been great this fall semester the only issue is would the 2 summer classes I withdrew in be the final nail in the coffin for me not to get into medical school at all?

So I basically need to get Straight A's? A- and B+ is unacceptable? Btw. i transferred from another university with a 2.3 gpa so I know it's impossible to get to a 3.0 gpa lol. I forgot to mention that i'm asking this specific situation because in the summer I tried taking classes 2 that were not science related it was for my major and I was not able to finish them due to a family member getting sick and I need to take care of them more than what I had expected. Since things have stabilized my grades have been great this fall semester the only issue is would the 2 summer classes I withdrew in be the final nail in the coffin for me not to get into medical school at all?
Impossible to get a 3.0 GPA at that university, sure. However, AMCAS (for MD) calculates a cumulative undergraduate (cGPA) and science GPA (sGPA) irrespective of the school. Any classes that are not graduate level classes, but taken after undergrad graduation will be noted as "postbaccalaureate undergraduate" on AMCAS, but will still be factored into the cumulative and science GPAs. This makes it not impossible to get a 3.0. withdrawals will not kill your application, but adcoms want to see consistency. A- is fine. B+ is not. If these classes are at a community college, you should be getting A's, and some medical schools prefer to see prerequisites (bio, orgo, inorganic, psych/soc etc.) taken at a 4 year university, however depends on the school. special masters program will show up as a Graduate GPA separate from your undergrad GPA totally. Which is why getting a 4.0 in such a program can enhance your application. They see horrible undergrad then BAM postbaccalaureate GPA: 4.0 - Graduate GPA 4.0 . That's when they will be like "this guy has successfully reinvented themselves." You do need a good MCAT to supplement.

Follow Goro's guide. Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Edit: After reading your previous threads, people have already given you advice - it is not impossible, but very improbable that you will get into medical school. I have given you a story and some hope. Get off SDN and go become a doctor with the advice you have been given. Or not.

Edit 2: Don't go caribbean. You're not ready even for the caribbean (arguably a caribbean school will have increased course load to weed out the weak), it will suck the life out of you and leave you high (in debt) and dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible to get a 3.0 GPA at that university, sure. However, AMCAS (for MD) calculates a cumulative undergraduate (cGPA) and science GPA (sGPA) irrespective of the school. Any classes that are not graduate level classes, but taken after undergrad graduation will be noted as "postbaccalaureate undergraduate" on AMCAS, but will still be factored into the cumulative and science GPAs. This makes it not impossible to get a 3.0. withdrawals will not kill your application, but adcoms want to see consistency. A- is fine. B+ is not. If these classes are at a community college, you should be getting A's, and some medical schools prefer to see prerequisites (bio, orgo, inorganic, psych/soc etc.) taken at a 4 year university, however depends on the school. special masters program will show up as a Graduate GPA separate from your undergrad GPA totally. Which is why getting a 4.0 in such a program can enhance your application. They see horrible undergrad then BAM postbaccalaureate GPA: 4.0 - Graduate GPA 4.0 . That's when they will be like "this guy has successfully reinvented themselves." You do need a good MCAT to supplement.

Follow Goro's guide. Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Edit: After reading your previous threads, people have already given you advice - it is not impossible, but very improbable that you will get into medical school. I have given you a story and some hope. Get off SDN and go become a doctor with the advice you have been given. Or not.

Edit 2: Don't go caribbean. You're not ready even for the caribbean (arguably a caribbean school will have increased course load to weed out the weak), it will suck the life out of you and leave you high (in debt) and dry.

Honestly, this whole process was confusing for me initially despite the sound advice. As, I was new to how getting into med school worked. I just wanted to see if people had been able to pull through despite terrible starts like me with 15Fs 14 withdrawals and ace their science classes/post-baccs and do well in SMPs.

Like I have said before I'm still taking care of as family member and going to class full time while working... but I'm also doing very well especially with this math class which really gave me nightmares.

So I know my shot is slim I just know if I do well, get the grades, and work in the medical field as I will need to find a job in the psych field as thats the speciality I'm gunning for.

Thank you for the thorough advice.

Hi friends, I figured I'd share my story on here since so many others have and this thread has given me so much hope.

Like many others, I basically flunked my entire freshman year and was only able to get my UG sGPA to a 2.96 and UG cGPA to 2.79. I took a year off school to work for my family and re-evaluate my pursuit of becoming a doctor. After that year, I decided I still wanted to be a doctor and started looking into post-baccs. I applied to 8 post-baccs and ended up getting accepted into 7 of them! I chose a one-year masters program that was not an SMP with ties to a med school but I truly believe I chose the right one. Fast forward one year and I finished with a 4.0 and some more volunteer hours. Further, I took the MCAT for the first time while doing my post-bacc (I DO NOT recommend doing this because it was honestly terrible on my well-being) and got a 508. I sent primaries to 15 MD schools and sent secondaries to 8 (I suggest sending way more than 8 but I ran out of money). As proof there is hope to re-inventors, I just received my first II November 7th (to an OOS school no less) and have yet to receive any rejections (though lets be real, I'll be getting some in the next few months).

If any of y'all got a lot of F's in undergrad like I did, you just have to prove to medical schools you're not the same you from a few years ago. Post-baccs can be risky, especially ones that do not have linkages, so make sure you work your butt off to get that 4.0 and I'm sure you will see success in your pursuit of medical school. Here's to hoping we all get that acceptance we're dreaming of!

Full disclosure: I am URM, which I'm sure helps a lot, but my extracurriculars are pretty average and I don't have the 1000's of hours like some others. If anyone wants to talk about what I did on my application to at least get to the interview stage, feel free to message me and I'll be happy to share!

Good luck to everyone in the current cycle! We can do this!

Reactions: 3 users
I hit a 3.0 sGPA and cGPA after a post bacc with an A average so YAY!
Feel free to ask questions.

Reactions: 2 users