Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread has been incredibly inspiring to read!

I graduated with a cGPA of ~2.7 (due to various reasons, some of them my own lack of drive) and always believed I was too dumb to become a physician (but I was definitely interested). After becoming a clinical social worker and working alongside some amazing doctors, I knew that that was the job I wanted to do. I recently left my very stable full-time job to go back to school and to complete a DIY post-bacc to repair my crappy GPA. Reading previous success stories definitely motivates me and shows me that this is very doable.

Congrats to those who have gotten in and good luck to those applying :)

12/21/2022 edit: more than 2 years later and I got an A from a DO school! I hope to get more love from other schools too but I feel very grateful, especially after reading my post from the start of my journey :giggle:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Currently 27 in an SMP with guaranteed acceptance. PM me for the specific one, in a VERY similar situation to you with a low gpa close to yours. I got into the SMP and have been performing extremely well.. but I understand your situation and concerns. Let me know if you need any advice.

I'd like to ask a few questions about your program as well (similar background) but can't PM you? Thanks!

Hello. Seems this thread has been inactive for several months and not sure if we started a new support group thread, but I wanted to bump this thread and update y'all since good news was always helpful for me to read here.

If anyone wants to dig through my post history, you'll see I've been around a long time; almost 15 years now. At various points in my life. I thought about medicine but timing and circumstance never cooperated. College (and post-grad) was difficult for many reasons, some personal and some external, but in the end, reasons are not necessarily excuses. It took me 5 years of acing science elective after science elective in my DIY postbacc to raise my cGPA above a 3.0 (almost the equivalent of a second bachelor's degree), over 50 secondary applications across 2 cycles that yielded 2 interviews total (last cycle my only interview became a WL) before finally getting that magical acceptance last month.

Even better, the one school I got into is an amazing mission and culture fit for me. I could not be happier. I'm in my mid 30's, my final stats were 3.05 cGPA / 3.28 sGPA, 509 MCAT. It only cost me all my money, health, and sanity. And it was totally worth it :)

Nothing is impossible, but for those of us in this club, we know that the price of success is damn high. Only you can determine if it's worth toiling away for years and years and years; life is short and there are many equally valid roads to happiness. But I want y'all to know that if you're able to put in the work, even if just bit by bit across time, someone will notice. It might take 50 schools before one gives you a chance, but it only takes one.

Blessings to everyone in this thread and thank you for nourishing my spirit even when you didn't know it. Thanks in particular to DrMidlife and Goro for their guidance and cold honesty. I hope my story gives some of you renewed hope that getting into medical school is possible.

• Love
Reactions: 26 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't posted my story on this yet but I have posted other places. So I will keep it brief.

I applied to 50 schools (25 DO schools and 25 MD schools).
Accepted to two schools (one of which was a top choice DO school)
2.6 cGPA 2.9 sGPA 506 MCAT
Great LORs
last 60 credit hours of undergrad at a 3.8 GPA

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Keep up the grind! I was a 2.99 cGPA and 505 MCAT candidate, finishing up OMS-I now at my top choice DO school! Get it!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Well, I just found out my AMCAS GPA is 2.39/1.88, and my AACOMAS GPA is 2.57/1.28. LOL.

So, the only way to go is up? Hahaha. (Don't worry, I haven't taken almost any pre-reqs... I have until nearly 2022.)

My friends! I have found my way back to SDN after you know, life stuff, and I am still an eternal pre-med, and have stayed in the military after getting a VERY unique career opportunity, but am still oriented toward DO/MD after this. I just wanted to come back and let everyone know that I am currently at a 2.99c/2.72s and after my first summer class, I should finally hit that golden 3.0. :D I have about 8 pre-reqs left and many, many other classes for my major(s). (I'm double majoring while killing time in my new job, since I have a 3-year commitment.) At the end of the day, it looks like I won't be able to get my cGPA over a 3.1 because of the amount of credits I have, but sGPA should be able to hit 3.4!

Fun story, thanks to the military, I have well over 220 credits. Raising my cGPA is no fun. (sGPA is much easier.)

Interestingly, if you only looked at credits from the last ten years, I'd have a 3.25/3.1 so far. But, alas.

AND LOL that I thought I would be applying for the 2021-2022 cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
My friends! I have found my way back to SDN after you know, life stuff, and I am still an eternal pre-med, and have stayed in the military after getting a VERY unique career opportunity, but am still oriented toward DO/MD after this. I just wanted to come back and let everyone know that I am currently at a 2.99c/2.72s and after my first summer class, I should finally hit that golden 3.0. :D I have about 8 pre-reqs left and many, many other classes for my major(s). (I'm double majoring while killing time in my new job, since I have a 3-year commitment.) At the end of the day, it looks like I won't be able to get my cGPA over a 3.1 because of the amount of credits I have, but sGPA should be able to hit 3.4!

Fun story, thanks to the military, I have well over 220 credits. Raising my cGPA is no fun. (sGPA is much easier.)

Interestingly, if you only looked at credits from the last ten years, I'd have a 3.25/3.1 so far. But, alas.

I wish you god speed on your journey to getting in!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi can you please pm me? I am in dire need of advice but it does not have an option to pm you. I am in a similar situation as well.

When I first posted here, I had roughly a 2.92 cgpa and a 3.26 sgpa. After 2 years of roughly a 3.95 gpa (and assuming my upcoming final semester is also a 4.0) I should end my undergraduate career with a 3.31 cgpa and 3.58 sgpa. Usually no one is surprised until I tell them I have 8 Fs in my transcript and about 12 Ws. I think I have ~180 total credits. I plan to apply in 2023. Still going strong and am not planning to give up any time soon. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread for awhile, and I am so happy to finally share that I have been accepted to medical school! I will be matriculating into a DO program next fall right after turning 30! Thirty, flirty and thriving (hopefully, haha).

I had a lot of emotional obstacles in undergrad that hindered me academically, but after taking some postbacc classes, getting a masters in biomolecular science, and working in clinical research for seven years I have final taking a huge step towards my goal. I love seeing everyone's success stories on here, and I am rooting so hard for all of you still working towards your acceptance. You're going to get there, friends!!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I am applying to 31 MD and 7 DO programs (9 secondaries completed already) with

2.2 uGPA
4.0 SMP GPA (Rutgers Piscataway)
519 MCAT (1 attempt)
About 400 hours now scribing
hopefully strong essays and a credible narrative for how I addressed past issues

I am guardedly optimistic and also incredibly anxious.

I just want one "A" from any name on my spreadsheet, even one of the ones near the bottom of the page.

Someone tell me I got this, please?

• Care
Reactions: 5 users

2.2 uGPA
519 MCAT (1 attempt)
hopefully strong essays and a credible narrative for how I addressed past issues

I just want one "A" from any name on my spreadsheet, even one of the ones near the bottom of the page.

With your perseverance, SMP grades and amazing MCAT score.. you definitely got this!

Keep us apprised, we are all rooting for you!

• Love

2.2 uGPA
519 MCAT (1 attempt)

If your list was crafted carefully and your net is wide enough there is a good chance you will get an interview from somewhere. Just remember to advocate for yourself, even at the schools who send you a rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your list was crafted carefully and your net is wide enough there is a good chance you will get an interview from somewhere. Just remember to advocate for yourself, even at the schools who send you a rejection.
Pardon me for asking, but what benefit is there to following up on rejections?

Pardon me for asking, but what benefit is there to following up on rejections?

I was rejected from one of my top choices. I followed up and that rejection turned into an interview. Which turned into an acceptance.

Edit: Now I am not saying that you are going to be able to change the ADCOMS minds. However, if this is what you want to do, you need to do everything you possibly can to advocate for yourself without being annoying.

Good luck.

Last edited:

My story is closer to this one. Military vet with over 200 credits. Cgpa is a pain to move. Also, aacomas gpa is vastly different than my amcas for some reason

Reactions: 1 users
Those of you very non trad 30+, please pm me which schools that accepted you or create another anon account and post here. Please and thank you!

Y'all are my people! I've got 5-6 more years before I'll be ready to apply, but I hope this thread is still alive and well with success stories by then. In the meantime, it looks like I've got a lot of work to do as far as prerequisites go and maybe seeing that sGPA and cGPA get as close to 3.0 as possible.

(Update for my people, still not finished but getting closer…5 years since I started lurking on this thread. 31 years old now)
How it started in 2017:
Cgpa: 2.4
Sgpa: 2.0
Over 120 credits with NO DEGREE, played around in college at UGA 2008-2012 and basically rarely went to class, got a ton of WFs, lots of family/personal issues, partying/fraternity stuff you get the jist.

Made a plan to execute…first get a bachelors. Went back to local 4 year university, took A&P, micro and another elective and got all As. Got accepted into a bachelors in respiratory therapy program that was clearly hurting for students. Finished that program with a 4.0 (total of about 70 credits). Started working as a respiratory therapist in 2019.

Now onto the postbacc, working full time as an RT and taking 2 classes at a time (upper level bios) and auditing some courses for mcat purposes. Currently in my 3rd semester of postbacc still maintaining a 4.0 so far.

So where we are now:
Upward trend: last 90 credits at a 4.0
Cgpa: 2.99
Sgpa: 3.01 (DO Sgpa ~ 3.25 due to a lot of my RT classes counting as “other science”)

Plan to take the mcat next year after I take biochem and will probably be applying to 2-3 SMPs. Aside from working as an RT and holding several leadership roles at work I was a contributing author on two published case reports, I also founded a nonprofit that helps to fund addiction treatment for individuals in my area (integral to my story as my father passed away due to his addiction).

This journey (GPA/transcript repair) is so long and arduous. It feels like it’s never ending but I remember starting all this like it was yesterday. Still got a lot of work to do but man this has been a hell of a ride so far.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
(Update for my people, still not finished but getting closer…5 years since I started lurking on this thread. 31 years old now)
How it started in 2017:
Cgpa: 2.4
Sgpa: 2.0
Over 120 credits with NO DEGREE, played around in college at UGA 2008-2012 and basically rarely went to class, got a ton of WFs, lots of family/personal issues, partying/fraternity stuff you get the jist.

Made a plan to execute…first get a bachelors. Went back to local 4 year university, took A&P, micro and another elective and got all As. Got accepted into a bachelors in respiratory therapy program that was clearly hurting for students. Finished that program with a 4.0 (total of about 70 credits). Started working as a respiratory therapist in 2019.

Now onto the postbacc, working full time as an RT and taking 2 classes at a time (upper level bios) and auditing some courses for mcat purposes. Currently in my 3rd semester of postbacc still maintaining a 4.0 so far.

So where we are now:
Upward trend: last 90 credits at a 4.0
Cgpa: 2.99
Sgpa: 3.01 (DO Sgpa ~ 3.25 due to a lot of my RT classes counting as “other science”)

Plan to take the mcat next year after I take biochem and will probably be applying to 2-3 SMPs. Aside from working as an RT and holding several leadership roles at work I was a contributing author on two published case reports, I also founded a nonprofit that helps to fund addiction treatment for individuals in my area (integral to my story as my father passed away due to his addiction).

This journey (GPA/transcript repair) is so long and arduous. It feels like it’s never ending but I remember starting all this like it was yesterday. Still got a lot of work to do but man this has been a hell of a ride so far.
not sure if @Goro would agree that @wgc0956 can just score a 505+ on his/her mcat, bump the cGPA to 3.0+, and go apply to DO schools without needing SMP since the last 90 postbacc credits are 4.0

not sure if @Goro would agree that @wgc0956 can just score a 505+ on his/her mcat, bump the cGPA to 3.0+, and go apply to DO schools without needing SMP since the last 90 postbacc credits are 4.0
I would agree that @wgc0956 will have reinvented themselves if they score 505+ on the MCAT (for DO schools) 510+ (for MD schools). However I think applying to SMPs is a great idea as a security net for if the DO cycle doesn't go the way they would like but I do not think an SMP will be necessary.

Also the bump to a 3.0 cGPA will help but isnt necessary.

I would agree that @wgc0956 will have reinvented themselves if they score 505+ on the MCAT (for DO schools) 510+ (for MD schools). However I think applying to SMPs is a great idea as a security net for if the DO cycle doesn't go the way they would like but I do not think an SMP will be necessary.

Agree. And wanted to add, for the MCAT doing excess practice questions and tests >>>auditing classes. But in any case, great job @wgc0956. This is the way.

Agree. And wanted to add, for the MCAT doing excess practice questions and tests >>>auditing classes. But in any case, great job @wgc0956. This is the way.
Yes, @wgc0956 I would not audit classes for the MCAT. When I took the MCAT I had been out of some of the prereqs for over 4 years and doing practice questions (uworld, khan academy, kaplan, any you can get your hands on and learn from) and taking practice tests (I took over 20 practice tests and reviewed them) will benefit you in a much more efficient manner.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah...just use the MCAT prep book sets. But 70% of focus should be on Altius practice exams or AAMC prep hub material

@wgc0956 if you apply to SMPs, please only apply to those with guaranteed interview agreements

@Calizboosted76 's signature links to a great resource

Its worth noting that for many programs, it is perfectly reasonable to apply to SMPs in the spring before matriculation after it becomes apparent that the current cycle is failed. So less of a "safety net" and more of a "next step".

to WGC: impressive work with comeback

Update: Still working on this Sisyphean project. In the last 3 years I've studied for and taken the MCAT (514) and have been working through a DIY post bacc taking upper division science courses, currently sitting at a 4.0 with 14 credits, should be 18 after this term, even retook a class I failed over a decade ago. Due to time and finances I can only afford one class a term while working full time, so completing 30+ credits isn't going to be possible in a reasonable time frame. With my recent upward trend and decent MCAT scores I'm considering an SMP to get me over the finish line.

Last edited:
Update: Still working on this Sisyphean project. In the last 3 years I've studied for and taken the MCAT (514) and have been working through a DIY post bacc taking upper division science courses, currently sitting at a 4.0 with 14 credits, should be 18 after this term, even retook a class I failed over a decade ago. Due to time and finances I can only afford one class a term while working full time, so completing 30+ credits isn't going to be possible in a reasonable time frame. With my recent upward trend and decent MCAT scores I'm considering an SMP to get me over the finish line.
consider ones with guaranteed acceptances to med schools

consider ones with guaranteed acceptances to med schools
Thanks for this - I'm only familiar with Drexel fitting this category. Do you know of any others off hand? I'm secondarily looking at programs without guaranteed acceptance, but with high matriculation rates into any school, not just the home program.

Edit: I found resources on the postbacc program forums, I'll start there.

Last edited:
Just adding a data point that you can make it even with Cgpa below 3.0. My sgpa is >3.6 (this discrepancy is due to change of major) and was able to get in (D.O) this cycle. I was prepping for an MCAT retake even though I have 7 IIs (cause you never know). School list, upward trend, unique experiences, and decent interview most likely helped but I can’t be picky with my stats 😂. Reading @Calizboosted76 posts definitely motivated me. PM for any questions please. Don’t give up if you really want this.

Last edited:
Feeling a little discouraged, this is my second cycle applying with only 2 secondaries.

Graduated undergrad in 2019
494 MCAT(1st attempt summer 2019)
2.5 undergrad gpa
3.9 SMP gpa
still averages out to a 2.9 total gpa

I am taking the MCAT a second time a month from now and know this is the last thing holding me back. I am just afraid if I don't get this MCAT it will be the nail on the coffin for me which has caused me to reschedule it a couple of times now. Outside of that, I have checked off everything for ECs 4,000+ clinical hours, 1,000+ research hours, 100 shadowing hours, 200 clinical volunteering hours, research poster presentations, and a few other things.

smp doesn't count, that ugrad is killing you and so is the MCAT, that's too low for DO too. you also just checked off boxes. what makes you interesting? don't apply a 3rd time with the same app. go WAMC and page Faha and the rest of the crew.

Graduated with a 2.67 gpa in 2019 (Biology) . I am now 4 semesters into my DIY post bacc. I will have 31 credits after this semester. Looking at a 3.7 post bacc gpa. Will retake the mcat, again (sub 500). My cumulative gpa is a 2.90 after last semester. I have been speaking to a lot of admission counselors. Thankfully, one school gave me some insight in that they look at your last 60 credits and account for courses after graduation. I have thousands of hours of clinical experience. Unfortunately this may have contributed to my poor performance in undergrad. I have worked in clinical research, worked as a scribe, and have shadowed a cardiologist. This journey has been rough, but I am still standing lol. I am still looking for guidance.

So, I recently graduated with a dual-degree in Bio/Psych, cGPA of 3.07, sGPA of 3.1 for the past 4 years. However, this is a career change, and my first year of college over 7 years ago included a failed class. When considering my cGPA and sGPA for my entire college career, both sit squarely at a 2.98. Will I need to try 2-3 undergraduate classes in order to bring this GPA up, or should I apply to SMPs now? My worry is that I will get screened out due to being under a 3.0.

So, I recently graduated with a dual-degree in Bio/Psych, cGPA of 3.07, sGPA of 3.1 for the past 4 years. However, this is a career change, and my first year of college over 7 years ago included a failed class. When considering my cGPA and sGPA for my entire college career, both sit squarely at a 2.98. Will I need to try 2-3 undergraduate classes in order to bring this GPA up, or should I apply to SMPs now? My worry is that I will get screened out due to being under a 3.0.
Many schools publish hard screening criteria of above 3.0, and acceptance to these schools without a 3.0 isn't possible. These include about half of the D.O. programs and ballpark about 1/3 of the MD programs. There may be other schools that have similar screening policies but don't share this information on their website.

On the flipside, people are accepted to other schools with <3.0, myself included. How much that 0.02 GPA difference will matter almost certainly depends on the school. This next bit is speculation, but I suspect that it does make a difference to many schools, including some that don't publish a GPA requirement.

If you read up on the admissions policies and numbers of the schools you're interested in, maybe that could help you make an informed decision. A less-reliable resource (subject to sample size and self-reporting biases) but which still might be useful is the "Interview Tracker" spreadsheet on another website. You can search for which schools are giving interviews to people with 2.x.

Last edited:
Both.

But What does the rest of your app look like, and is a semester/yr of classes possible/prudent?

Both.

But What does the rest of your app look like, and is a semester/yr of classes possible/prudent?
Couple hundred hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing. About 50 hrs volunteering with disadvantaged youths in an equine therapeutic setting. My last two years of undergraduate were completed full-time, while working full-time as a 911 Dispatcher, specially certified as a crisis/despondent negotiator. The last two years also encompass that upward trend.

Hi everyone, 2016 graduate here with a cGPA: 2.99 and sGPA: 3.87 (150 CHs total) from my BS degree (Computer Science)
I currently have a 4.0 GPA while taking the remaining prerequisite courses at a local 4y university (27 CHs total).
I will have a cGPA: 3.15 and sGPA: 3.95 (w/ 177 CHs total) when all is said and done.

I am a TX resident planning on applying to instate MD as well as DO. My question is: does my sGPA save me at all or is it worth the effort to try to improve my cGPA further to a 3.2+? I am aware of the tendency for TMDSAS schools to favor GPA more heavily than others; just trying to tailor my expectations. Thanks in advance.
Your cGPA is low but I don’t think that it will shut you out from TMDSAS schools because of your high sGPA and strong upward trend. It wouldn’t hurt to take a few more classes to show that you can sustain your recent performance. And of course, do your best to knock the MCAT out of the park.

Hi everyone,

I haven’t been on these forums very much, but I thought it was time I contributed. About 5 years ago, I too was lurking these forms for inspiration, hope, and advice. I remember being so frustrated and discouraged throughout the process of getting into medical school. The only thing that kept me going was that I wasn’t ready to give up on my dreams. I am proud to say that hard work, hope, and determination finally paid off. Just the other day I put in my applications for residency programs. As a fourth-year medical student, I have a lot more free time, so I finally got a chance to sit down and share my story.

When I was first lurking on these forms, I just graduated undergrad with a 2.9 GPA and some terrible MCAT scores. Obliviously, I was not ready for medical school. From my research on SDN, I learned that I either needed to fix my GPA with a post-bac or do a special master program so I could prove myself. I ended up doing an accelerated master program linked to a DO school. This master program was probably the best $28k+ I ever spent. I end up graduating from the master program with a 3.45 GPA and started medical school the year after. The master program prepared me very well for medical school. It gave me all the skill set I needed to pass all my classes, STEP 1/2, and COMLEX 1/2.

That is pretty much a quick summary and thanks for reading.

I am not sure where to post this but if you have time here are some things that I wish I could share with myself from 5 years ago.

1) The journey into medical school/ medical school itself is a marathon and not a race. You are only human and life is a learning process. This means throughout this journey you need to be nice to yourself and it’s important you have good coping mechanisms whether it is for stress, personal issues, or just issues in general.

2) Before you commit to a post-bac, masters, or medical school, do some honest reflection. Don’t cheat yourself out of this reflection! Why do you want even want to go to medical school? Is your reasoning even worth it? What sacrifices are you willing to make? If you decide that you still want to go to medical school, may the answers to these questions help guide you through tough times.

3) Ask yourself why didn’t you do well in undergrad and/ or MCAT. Personally, for me, I was straight up just not mature enough for college and I didn’t know how to study. This is where the master helped me a lot. Since I had to move for my master and being a young person who never left home, it was truly a growing process. Things that use to distract me could no longer be a distraction. This allowed me to dedicate my time to studying. Lastly, I was blessed to find a school that provided their student with a lot of academic support such as tutoring, office hours, and academic specialist. These academic specialists help me optimize my studying by figuring out which study method worked best for me. Are you a visual, audio, group or etc learner?

4) Test-taking anxiety is a real thing. We all have it, but the question is to what extent. You want optimal anxiety, not soul-crushing anxiety. You are going to be taking lots of tests in medical school so figure out coping mechanisms and learn good test-taking strategies.

5) When you are living in a moment of stress and anxiety, it consumes you. This isn’t you and there is no need to belittle yourself. Self-love, gratitude, and coping mechanisms are key. It's important that you go get the help you deserve!

Lastly, so many people before you with similar or even worst situations could make it, and so can you. Keep up the hard work!

Thanks for coming to my ted talk. I wish you the very best!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Happy to see thread is still going and so many have achieved their goals and dreams!

Keep up the hard work!

2.78 cGPA, 2.5 sGPA, 3.98 SMP GPA, 521 MCAT (4th attempt), ORM (Chinese male). TX resident. Average ECs - 1 year scribing, 200 hours clinical volunteering, 200 hours non-clinical volunteering, 200 hours shadowing, 1 year research assistant. Applied 4x including this cycle, sent in around 20 DO and 50 MD apps. First time applying DO and have 4 IIs -> 1 A, 1 R, 1 WL, 1 awaiting decision. No MD IIs.

Last edited:
  • Care
If you want to do this, do it.. but be forewarned. (from a mid career physician)

I think its time to inject some sanity here. If you cannot get above a 3.0 with standard classes, unless you are a frustrated genius, ie you can score top 5% on the MCAT but your school grades suck, its time to seriously reconsider. And you can forget about getting into an MD school. Even if you do, the competition there will eat you alive.

I am sorry to be the debbie downer, but many will be taken advantage of ($$).. books, classes, post bacc.. its like travel ball for kids. 90% of even the better players simply will not get a scholarship. it ain't happening.

A very smart friend who didn't do well in classes when younger from f-ing around and not focusing (ie sub 3 gpa awful... but can score top 3% on standardized tests) only got into "the good one" Caribbean school (with ivy league MCAT scores, seriously bright) .. recently informed me that 50% of those folks can't even pass Step I (the school won't let you even take Step I if you can't pass their internal exam, so they can pump their numbers of "winners" and bring in more $$fish, 20% drop out the first year, etc). Do I have your attention?

Solution: Find something else to do - there are great ways to be in the medical world outside of medical school. And they pay well too. Some tech jobs are easily 6 figures. NA clear 250k. Thats patient care, autonomy to a degree.. nothing wrong with it.

From eons ago, a fellow MD student once said "I graduated high school valedictorian, I graduated summa cum laude in college, but here.. I'm just average." I was none of those things, but I was capable and ultimately scored top 15% on Step I. Brutal self imposed studying regimen. I thought I failed after the first of the two day test - seriously.

Conclusion: it never ends, you want some? A sobering thought that reminds you just how tough getting thru med school can be... and then of course, there is getting into a quality residency/training and finding a job.

So sure, go grind 2 years to retake science and jack your gpa. Volunteer. Crush the MCAT. Then, you might get a shot. For more of the same tough sandwich. If this is what you are, you will find a way. But you have to have the raw talent/IQ plus serious perseverance. There are exceptions to every rule, but for most, the result is known already.

tl;dr? one might be better served going a different route. No disrespect to anyone intended. Just tryna shed some light and maybe help someone choose a more fruitful path.

If you want to do this, do it.. but be forewarned. (from a mid career physician)

I think its time to inject some sanity here. If you cannot get above a 3.0 with standard classes, unless you are a frustrated genius, ie you can score top 5% on the MCAT but your school grades suck, its time to seriously reconsider. And you can forget about getting into an MD school. Even if you do, the competition there will eat you alive.

I am sorry to be the debbie downer, but many will be taken advantage of ($$).. books, classes, post bacc.. its like travel ball for kids. 90% of even the better players simply will not get a scholarship. it ain't happening.

A very smart friend who didn't do well in classes when younger from f-ing around and not focusing (ie sub 3 gpa awful... but can score top 3% on standardized tests) only got into "the good one" Caribbean school (with ivy league MCAT scores, seriously bright) .. recently informed me that 50% of those folks can't even pass Step I (the school won't let you even take Step I if you can't pass their internal exam, so they can pump their numbers of "winners" and bring in more $$fish, 20% drop out the first year, etc). Do I have your attention?

Solution: Find something else to do - there are great ways to be in the medical world outside of medical school. And they pay well too. Some tech jobs are easily 6 figures. NA clear 250k. Thats patient care, autonomy to a degree.. nothing wrong with it.

From eons ago, a fellow MD student once said "I graduated high school valedictorian, I graduated summa cum laude in college, but here.. I'm just average." I was none of those things, but I was capable and ultimately scored top 15% on Step I. Brutal self imposed studying regimen. I thought I failed after the first of the two day test - seriously.

Conclusion: it never ends, you want some? A sobering thought that reminds you just how tough getting thru med school can be... and then of course, there is getting into a quality residency/training and finding a job.

So sure, go grind 2 years to retake science and jack your gpa. Volunteer. Crush the MCAT. Then, you might get a shot. For more of the same tough sandwich. If this is what you are, you will find a way. But you have to have the raw talent/IQ plus serious perseverance. There are exceptions to every rule, but for most, the result is known already.

tl;dr? one might be better served going a different route. No disrespect to anyone intended. Just tryna shed some light and maybe help someone choose a more fruitful path.
We appreciate your post Mr. Mid Career Physician, but you are beating a dead horse, here. Everything you have noted has existed in the echo chamber of SDN for years lol. Most non-trads know the risk involved and the rough road ahead. To think you are the bearer of sanity regarding this topic is arrogant. Sure, IQ & raw talent are helpful, but you are revealing your hand/age here. Medical students are no longer the one dimensional savants you speak of. However, we are anecdotal at this point.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
We appreciate your post Mr. Mid Career Physician, but you are beating a dead horse, here. Everything you have noted has existed in the echo chamber of SDN for years lol. Most non-trads know the risk involved and the rough road ahead. To think you are the bearer of sanity regarding this topic is arrogant. Sure, IQ & raw talent are helpful, but you are revealing your hand/age here. Medical students are no longer the one dimensional savants you speak of. However, we are anecdotal at this point.
I'm showing my wisdom. You're showing your own arrogance and lack of respect. Good luck.

I'm showing my wisdom. You're showing your own arrogance and lack of respect. Good luck.
I mostly just lurk and rarely post (and I don't quite fit the category of people this thread is intended for) so read this or don't, up to you.

However, I think this is a spot where both of you are showing lack of respect, at the least. This is a thread for people who are very well aware they are up against the wall and are chasing their dreams. The large majority of posters in this thread have indicated they know the rough spot they are in. The advice you have offered, while valid and useful, seems quite out of place here. There are numerous other threads where this could have been better tendered, in my opinion (like maybe not a support thread where you say verbatim: "Find something else to do"). I am not for coddling people, and sometimes harsh words can be tough to hear, I get it. However, there is always usually a time and place, and I don't think this was either one.

Somebody wise once told me when I was younger and in the military, "if you have to point out the character traits you think you demonstrate, it's probably because you aren't demonstrating them".

The warning about post baccs is appropriate. I wouldn’t do one without a guaranteed acceptance considering how much they cost. I did a postbacc and many of my classmates ended up in podiatry, pharmacy, optometry

I applaud people for getting in with low gpa’s. I had aacomas grade replacement in my favor, which doesn’t exist anymore. Can’t even imagine how difficult it is now if you had a rough start to undergrad, whatever the reason may be

I remember posting here many moons ago. Now I will graduate from medical school this upcoming spring May 2024. Don't let your GPA or anyone for tell you it's impossible. May all future applicants that read this thread get inspired to get that medical degree! (the /s in me says not to pursue medicine, but that's for another day lol).

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
I remember posting here many moons ago. Now I will graduate from medical school this upcoming spring May 2024. Don't let your GPA or anyone for tell you it's impossible. May all future applicants that read this thread get inspired to get that medical degree! (the /s in me says not to pursue medicine, but that's for another day lol).
Thats awesome and really inspirational to hear, congrats

I had a 2.7 GPA and a 23 MCAT score which is equivalent to the 490s with the new score system. I went through a linkage program with a medical school in the US. Now I'm an attending in Family Medicine. It took a long time for me to get into Medical school but your dreams are worth it. Don't run but SPRINT with the opportunities given to you. I know it's a cliche but... "luck is when preparation meets opportunity".