Bench exam ! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yasi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After long waiting bench extension has been approved
just want to know how many of you took or will take any course praparaton and if yes which course ucla duggan...
or just practicing yourself
any recommendation....????

Members don't see this ad.

Hi shaya/ivshah/Kosha
I spoke with some one in the examination section of Dental board of california. I asked her if I would lose my eligibility for bench exam if I was to take part 1 again and she said I would ( I have no idea as to how they can get to know that I retook the exam though). She also told me it would be wise to wait untill I finish bench exam if not part 4. anyway u should talk to them before proceeding.

i know, i called them too and they said i would be ineligible if i gav my part 1 again...:(........does the national board let the state board ppl know when we get our scores?? there must be someway they can find out eventually....like maybe they'll put it on the application asking when was the lst time u took the part 1 and then wht???
im totoally confused....i dont think my current part 1 score wil get me in ...(ive tried last year too)....and idon tknow when the bench wil happen.....but i dont want to giv up my chance of taking the bench forever either cause u neve rknow if you'll get accepted to school or not!!

hi, does anybody know , how to get finger print cards (if u r not a california resident) for bench exam? please let me know about this thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to MAILBOXES ETC. I belive that's the name of the postal/office service place where they are also authorized to do the fingerprinting. That's where I had mine done but I was in california at that time. I think you can also go to a police station bec. what's important I think is that whoever is doing the fingerprinting must know what they're doing and had some form of training in proper fingerprinting. You can call also call the Board and ask them.

I read your question again and I realized I answered you incorrectly. The finger print cards will come with the application packet provided by the Board. At this time, they are not giving out any I think call them or wait for further notice.

Hi,
I had also gone thru the same confusion. But I contacted people in Dental Board and Senator's office dealing with Bench and got infromation from a very senior Dental Board Officer that as long as you meet the criteria ( of passing Part 1 and 2 before dec 2003) you are eligible for bench. Even if you retake part 1 they don't care as long as you don't send them the new scrore.
I have just taken my part 1 again ( CBT) and now waiting for its results and Bench exam.
good luck!

shaya said:
i know, i called them too and they said i would be ineligible if i gav my part 1 again...:(........does the national board let the state board ppl know when we get our scores?? there must be someway they can find out eventually....like maybe they'll put it on the application asking when was the lst time u took the part 1 and then wht???
im totoally confused....i dont think my current part 1 score wil get me in ...(ive tried last year too)....and idon tknow when the bench wil happen.....but i dont want to giv up my chance of taking the bench forever either cause u neve rknow if you'll get accepted to school or not!!

Does anyone know if there is a training course at Uop or UCSF? I live in the bay area and will be hard to take the Duggan course

Hi ! I am a new user , interesting forum . I have a question for ALL YOU GUYS . Are the Californian boards still open for international dentists , I man can I still take part 1 , NDBE part 2 , Bench 1 and Bench 2.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Zeb

People:

The DBC has posted the reference numbers of the candidates eligible for the Bench exam. <www.dbc.ca.gov> click on the link "reference numbers". Thanks.

Ivorinedust
------------------------------------------------------------
Apolonia, relieve my toothache!

I went all the page upside down locking for the link "reference numbers" and nothing, please let me know how and where from the Home Page I could find it...Thanks in advance...

Members don't see this ad :)
Vickdent:

The link is in the DBC homepage, right smack under the Big Red Announcement that says the date of the November exam has been changed to Nov. 13-14. You won't miss it. You must have Acrobat Reader installed in your computer to be able to see the list, though.

Ivorinedust

---------------------------------------------------------------

Apolonia, relieve my toothache!

my goodness .... there are 1500 names on that list. How long will we have to wait for a spot?!! And will we ever get a second chance?

- tengu

gpsbhattal said:
hi, does anybody know , how to get finger print cards (if u r not a california resident) for bench exam? please let me know about this thing.

I wrote an email to the DBC requesting for two finger print cards and a new application form. I wrote them twice and had everything sent to a US based address. As of writing, i have only received the finger print cards. Hope this helps... Does anyone have any idea whether the list of application requirements on the FAQ article applies to re-examinees, or would resending your old application suffice? help!! really confused... :confused:

Ivorinedust,
Thanks for the replay, I found it in another computer with adobe. Let's wait, pray and leave it on God's hand to get our chance soon...

Hey all,,

1500 eligeble candidates.
exam to be held 3 times a year,
in each exam 150 candidates,
till 2008
9 exams*150= 1350 candidates,, I guess everyone has less than 1 trial, unless there is a mistake in my calcualations

please correct me ,,

hey all,
ya there are around 1500 candidates now, but the reference no. list is incomplete!! :eek: so there are gonna be more candidates soon,as soon as dbc finishes putting up the list in totality. God help us all!!!

hey theone ,

dbc will take 250 candidates for each exam not 150...
so i think in 2 years all 1500+ candidates will get one chance .

i hope they increase the number of examinations conducted each year .
lets pray

ivorinedust said:
People:

The DBC has posted the reference numbers of the candidates eligible for the Bench exam. <www.dbc.ca.gov> click on the link "reference numbers". Thanks.

Ivorinedust
------------------------------------------

how do i know what reference number is mine? are the DBC mailing us these reference numbers?

moz_wo said:
Does anyone know if there is a training course at Uop or UCSF? I live in the bay area and will be hard to take the Duggan course
yes they offer courses at UOP but not at UCSF.

stefanels said:
how do i know what reference number is mine? are the DBC mailing us these reference numbers?
Hi Stefanels,
Do you have a copy of your NDBE result? Your reference number is written on the top portion of that...

there are 250 examinees per exam i think...i'm a bit anxious bec. i haven't seen my reference no. yet, i called them yesterday and faxed proof of my timely submission of requirements and of course, they told me to just wait they're not done posting... :(

doc_jlbsf said:
Hi Stefanels,
Do you have a copy of your NDBE result? Your reference number is written on the top portion of that...

Thanks... I found my reference number and they have it on the list as well :)
Now we just wait for the filing period to begin , right?

I had sent in my application last yr, but it was returned to me as the october exam never took place. I guess I'll have to wait and see if the same appliction will work this time or if I'll have to re do the whole fingerprinting etc.

am i the only one from the sdner who can't see me reference no. on the DBC website? :(

hey! that was just a typo error, i meant am i the only one whose reference no. is not posted on the DBC website? :(

hey all ..

im going to be retaking the bench but dont see my ref # on the list ..i know they are not done posting all the ref #'s yet, but if anyone has called the board recently, did they tell u when they were going to update that list ?? ..

thanks in advance for any info on that .. and congratulations to all who are already on the list ..atleast thats a start ..

Hi evereybody ,
Is there anybody here who has taken the Restorative Exam and can explain a bit about it and tell me about the items they test you on? I'd appreciate any kind of information 'cause I have no idea about it.

Rezakh said:
Hi evereybody ,
Is there anybody here who has taken the Restorative Exam and can explain a bit about it and tell me about the items they test you on? I'd appreciate any kind of information 'cause I have no idea about it.

there is a bunch of information if you search the other threads on here .. however you can go to http://www.dbc.ca.gov/ and get the official information ..

as for preperation u have www.studydent.com , www.duggandds.com and ofcourse www.ucla.edu .. u might want to check with the others if any new bench training centers/courses are being offered ..

Hello everybody, :)
Can anyone tell me how to get any books, CDs, or any stuff for the Bench Exam (to practice at home) ?

hi everyone,
dbc has posted the filing deadline n instructions on its website. its 10th sept n we can start applying already since its not on a 1st come 1st served basis.
Pl check the website for all the details.
good luck!!

Do you know on what date they posted this update about filing applications? I saw it yesterday night (08/14/2004). I was wondering if they had posted this few days back?

i happened to see it just last evening, so im guessing they posted it just sometime last afternoon/evening 13th august.

Thanks dentobabe. The surpising thing is, its very difficult to get Oxford End Tab File Folder H210D. I tried other companies other than oxford, but invain. I searched all the local stores but no one carries this type of folder. Some did but it was letter size not legal size. What are you guys doing? Any input is appreciated.

ram,
I'm having difficulty getting the recommended size too. I wonder why they're making it so difficult for us. :rolleyes:

yep,

I think DBC always is very good at figuring out a way make it difficult. These people can easily win a olympic gold if there was some competition like this.

Anyway, any ideas guys, I think this product is available online easily, but it seems it takes few days to get to us.

ram7378 said:
Thanks dentobabe. The surpising thing is, its very difficult to get Oxford End Tab File Folder H210D. I tried other companies other than oxford, but invain. I searched all the local stores but no one carries this type of folder. Some did but it was letter size not legal size. What are you guys doing? Any input is appreciated.

I am in Mississauga, Canada and I went to 5 stores today but to no avail. Staples had the letter size too but not the legal size, I went to Grand and Toy and found it in their catalog. I am going to order it but the min. they can give me is 100 pcs. for $50.00 they said it will take 3-5 business days. I am going to order it right now if anyone wants to share with me let me know.

I was also wondering, my application was previously returned by DBC when I didn't get into last year's exams and I submitted my orginal report score card to them, so I was wondering if anyone called them already regarding what to attach to a returned application form if the original score card is with them already.

i am calling them on mon. but if anyone has any info. on this let me know

CDA really knows how to screw us up. Who makes this rule that the application must be in a specific kind of file folder - in this case the "Oxford End Tab File Folder H210D"? If my secretary pulls a similar trick she will hear an earfull, if not shown the pink slip.

What next .... do we have to buy them file cabinets too?

How hard is it for them to transfer our application from a mailing envelope into a folder?!! :mad: What are we paying the $250 application fee for? This job can be easily done by hiring a temp for 2 weeks! Instead they want 1500 applicants to go out and search for this specify kind of file folder - which I may add and others attest to, is VERY difficult to find. To add insult to injury it usually comes in a box of 100 so what are we going to do with the remaining 99?

I can not imagine them doing this to American students. They will sure receive hell. International students are the silent type, and take abuses laying down.

We should do something.

- tengu

We were united in fighting for the expansion of the RT exam, but we seem to have lost momentum in pressing CDB to hold more RT exams, and to conduct the application in a friendlier way. The latest "file folder" incident is just another episode how CDB treat foreign dentists as second class entities.

I call for others to join me in a writing campaign to CDB, the governor, state assembly members and state senators to rectify this situation. I will make appointments to see my district senator and assembly member, and see what they can do about this. The things I want CDB to improve are:

1) Hold more RT exam a year. At twice a year and 250 examinees per exam, it will take 3 years to give the ~1500 applicants ONE exam. The wait is TOO long. Since the exam will sunset in 2008, there isn't enough time for a second chance for everybody. CDB argues they don't have enough resources to hold more exams, however they have no problem holding 6 licensure exams a year. Currently there is no wait to get onto a licensure exam, but up to 3 years for the RT. This is another example of their discriminatory actions towards foreign trained dentists.

2) Establish a guideline on RT exam priority, and to give out a priority number. This way we can plan our lives, instead of waiting and preparing endlessly for the exam. Right now my wife does not know whether to apply for dental school, or wait up to three years for the RT exam. If she knows she will not get into the November exam, she will make a long overdued trip with our new born baby home. Instead she is practicing everyday in the garage, hoping for a 1 in 6 chance she will be admitted to the RT exam this November.

3) Annouce who are in the exam two months ahead. Not 4 to 6 weeks. This way we can practice more effectively.

4) Get rid of this kind of "file folder" bullsh?t.

Remember only the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

- tengu

I just filed an anonymous complain to California Department of Consumer Affairs. They oversee the CDB. I ask others to file similar complaints. Their web link is

https://www.dca.ca.gov/dca/secure/on-line-complaint.html

--------------------------------

California Dental Board requires all Restorative Examination applicants to file their application inside a "Oxford End Tab File Folder H210D".

Please see

http://www.dbc.ca.gov/pdf/rt_ref_number_updated_for_rt_exam3.pdf

I understand this will make THEIR job easier. However they have not considered the undue burden put on the ~1500 applicants. The specific "Oxford End Tab File Folder H210D" is very hard to find. I went to Kinko, Office Depot and Target today and were unable to find them. Other people have also expressed great difficulties finding those folders. I can only find them online. It takes more than three days to order, and come in box of 100 (which I need only one).

On the other hand it is very easy for California Dental Board to transfer our application from a mailing envelope into a folder themselves. We pay $500 for the examination, in which $250 is the application fee. The application fee is to cover the administrative cost and CDB should not shift this burden to the applicants.

I have never known of any other incidents where examinees have to submit their application inside a specific type of file folder. In fact California Dental Board does not have similar policy in other examination applications such as the Licensure Examination. This policy is discriminatory against foreign trained dentist as they are the only one required to take this examination.

I sincerely hope you will help us to smooth out this unncessary bureacratic requirement.

best regards.

I also made a similar complain to CDB through their email (and cc to California Consumer Affairs so they know they have a wider audience).

-------------------------------------

Dear California Dental Board,

I write to urge you to reverse the Restorative Technique Examination application requirement to use the "Oxford End Tab File Folder H210D".

This particular folder is very hard to find. I went to Kinko, Office Depot and Target today and were unable to find them. Other people have also expressed great difficulties finding those folders. I can only find them on the internet. It takes more than three days to order, and come in a box of 100 (which I need only one).

I understand using a specific kind of folder will make your job easier. However this will put undue burden on the ~1500 applicants. I will think the $250 application fee will cover administrative cost like these. Since you have no such requirements on other examination applications, including the Licensure Examination, I wish you will make the policy across the board.

best regards.

some may wonder why I will raise such a big fuss over the file folder H210D, when it can be solved by ordering it online for $30. First there is the principle (okay principles sometimes get people killed), and second, more practically, is to stop this discriminatory action towards foreign trained dentists. Consider this as the first skirmish, the bigger price is the number of RT exams per year.

Stop the immigrant mentality. Stand up for your right. This is America. Don't wait for others to change the world for you.

- tengu

hi people,
tengu is right! that specific folder is really tough to come by, not that it cant be bought online, but it seems a total waste of money to spend 30 bucks and order 100 of those damned things and use only one.its not available as a single piece(as is the case with many office supplies) and i couldnt even locate it on the office depot website.
This is really ridiculous, why does it have to just be that one particular type n brand?? isnt something more easily available or commonly used more appropriate?I mean this is all being used as a means of harrasmenttowards us, starting from making us languish for months n years on end with no signs of exams n when they finally decide to do anything, theyre creating confusion and inconvenience on every step. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.