Bench exam ! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yasi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After long waiting bench extension has been approved
just want to know how many of you took or will take any course praparaton and if yes which course ucla duggan...
or just practicing yourself
any recommendation....????

Members don't see this ad.

Can they refuse application for not using recommended folder ?
I don't think so.
However, I appreciate great mind, who got this idea. Wouldn't it be easier to ask 30 bucks extra as an application fee.
Well guys, we can keep rest of 99 folders to file all crazy requirements, our uncertain exam schedule, weird changes in bench pattern, and all 'periodic' updates.
Good Luck.

i believe tengu has raised very impt. points here. my husband has long suggested that we all hire a lawyer to protect our interests. The Board has it's own lawyers maybe we should have one good one too representing our interests, i'm sure most would be willing to pay a fee if we all accomplish our end results

i live in canada, perhaps one from california ought to start this like dentisthusband or tengu so if worse comes to worse a class action suit is more formidable then scattered individuals. we should all make a concerted effort to protect our interests.

who's willing to volunteer? what do you think?

Hi ! I am also having trouble finding the recommended folder. Please mail me the details on how I can buy some of the folders from you....
Also, I have signed up for the UCLA course in september. I am thinking of staying at the Holiday Inn [ there is a free shuttle service to the school and it is $100/ night for 2 queen sized beds in a room] Is any one interested in sharing a room with me?
[ preferably a female!!]

Members don't see this ad :)
to those who sent me private messages, so that i don't need to email you individually, i'll just post here when i actually get the folders and then we'll go from there

to save people a trip to the various stores, I am going to post where you WILL NOT find the folder (will appreciate somebody to post where one CAN find them)

- Office Depot
- Office Max
- Staples
- Target
- Kinko

suffice to say that particular folder is EXTREMELY rare when the major office supply superstores don't carry them :mad: Most stores carry SMEAD instead of Oxford, and usually in the letter size only.

I called dbc today and they told me that a similar folder is fine and that the folder can be from any other company as long as it is comparable to the required folder.I was told that this would be posted on the website by thursday.

just wanted to ask if all the eligible candidates are required to submit appplication for bench on the sept 10,2004 deadline even if one wishes to be tested next year.
thank you

lamdent,
everyone eligible doesnt necessarily have to submit their applications,but im guessing everyone will(unless ur not at all prepared for the test)
I was just going through the FAQ page on the DBC website n this qs is similar to what u asked, read on:
Q.. What if i do not apply for the exam in november?
Ans:If u do not apply for the exam in november a filing deadline will be established in 2005 for the next exam.

so there, i think that should answer your doubt.
but take it from me, theres going to be hordes of people applying for the exam this time!
good luck.

i have the folders already H210D. if anyone wants one pls give me your address and money. i jsut don't know how much. a regular letter size mail from canada to the U.S. is 80 cents. A big folder in a hard envelope would probably be not more than $2. A brown for mailing the folder 1 plus cost of the folder.

Whoever wants one pls mail me 4.00 first and I'll mail it to you. My address is 205-2757 Battleford Rd., Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N3A8. I am not forcing anyone and this is not a business. But I don't know what I am going to do with 100 folders!

hi mommyr,
do u mean Canadian $ 4? i guess that means around 3 USD right? ok my cheque is on its way, thanks.

oh and one more thing, whom should i make the cheque out to? u can pvt msg me your name if u prefer that.thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi ,
i just talked to someone at dbc , and she said that other folders are ok as long as they are-- legal size, manilla ........etc (same in shape and size as oxford)and u use a 20 font to write on it .
some other company makes these kind of folders.....i hope they are easier to find.

I sent the folder to Tengu today via Canada Post regular mail. I couldn't find an envelope big enough to put the folders without it bending so I bought a huge bubble wrap envelope and sent him 3 folders.

I underestimated the cost, postage alone was CAD5.05 as you'll see on the envelope due to the size and the bubble wrap envelope was 1.99 plus PST and GST (ontario tax is 15%) i spent a total of CAD 8.10 to send it and that was excluding cost of folders so its about USD 6.00

Again you don't have to get it from me bec. now we have the option of using another brand but for anyone needing an envelope just so you know the cost it's $6.00 USD. I sent it via regular mail so Tengu let me know when you receive it.

Did any one get any end tab folder in any store. if anyone pls let me know the name of the store.
thanks.

Dear friends and colleagues,
With regard to what everybody has written here, it seems that nobody is happy with the way CDB is carrying the RT exam for foreign trained dentists. And it really seems they are aware about what they are doing.

There are about 1500 applicants; they claim that foreign trained dentists have a chance to take the RT exam four times till 2008 but in practice they give the test 3 times a year and leave you no chance to have a second try !!! This is ridiculously unfair !!!

In America where we can express our minds and defend our rights freely, it wouldn't be wise to stay quiet. I personally would do anything in my ability to make those responsible listen to what we are saying. And I hope now that CDB has been told to give the tests till 2008, it's time we asked for fair exams. We are not second class dentists or applicants, we are asking for equal rights and we see no reason to be treated differently.

RezaKH

Hi,
I bought smead end tab folders. I have 99 of them left. If some one wants it then let me know.I live in salt lake city.

hello there,
can u giv me your address and thea mount of money i should send u?

hi guys ;
i was a little confused. do i need to send in my part 1 &2 score report again .

To Wenbo Lu, I got your postal money order cheque and they said next time to write the name of the payee or else they won't honor it if it's left blank, apparently bec. of the postal code it was strangely more costly to send the mail to you than to dentobabe in the U.S.

Your total is CAD 11.3 and dentobabe's is CAD5.9 including enveoples. The mail to B.C. they said is about 6 days and surface U.S. mail is about 2 weeks or sooner.

I'd appreciate if you both can mail the difference.

To the rest of the SDNer's I am not selling anmymore folders. I'll just find some use for them I guess, I just find it time consuming to be going to the post office all the time and emailing the diff. postage prices. Also I just don't want to feel responsible if the postal office does not get it to you as quickly as hoped.

i agree they are a bunch of freaking high school graduate idiots making up ridiculous rules and regulations for a simple application procedure ..

their stupid legal size folder rule and imagine finding something large enough to send it in securely without damage and im sure ppl are going to send it via fedex or ups or certified mail ..

why the hell are we paying the application fee ?? so those stupid airhead secretaries can gossip the whole day and not work ?? are they so ****ing lazy or busy that they want us to write the ref. # in freaking "20 pitch font" and that too on a "label" ?? were they high on pot when they made the rules ?? if the dinguses used even 2 % of their intellegence in making up the rules it would have been easier ..

and they are going to tell us after sep. 10 if we are eligible for the exam ?? and send the letter like 5 days before the exam like it happened to me back in aug. 2003 ??

****ing dinguses .. if i ever get a chance ill stick it up to them someday

tengu3 said:
CDA really knows how to screw us up. Who makes this rule that the application must be in a specific kind of file folder - in this case the "Oxford End Tab File Folder H210D"? If my secretary pulls a similar trick she will hear an earfull, if not shown the pink slip.

What next .... do we have to buy them file cabinets too?

How hard is it for them to transfer our application from a mailing envelope into a folder?!! :mad: What are we paying the $250 application fee for? This job can be easily done by hiring a temp for 2 weeks! Instead they want 1500 applicants to go out and search for this specify kind of file folder - which I may add and others attest to, is VERY difficult to find. To add insult to injury it usually comes in a box of 100 so what are we going to do with the remaining 99?

I can not imagine them doing this to American students. They will sure receive hell. International students are the silent type, and take abuses laying down.

We should do something.

- tengu

pkowe said:
Hi,
I bought smead end tab folders. I have 99 of them left. If some one wants it then let me know.I live in salt lake city.
Hi pkowe,
I need some folders, about 4.Pls do give me your address & the cost .I live in Southern California.
Thanks in advance.
KR

ivshah said:
I have 50 folders if any one wants just reply . I live in Santa Clara CA.
Hi Ivshah,
I need some folders.I live in Southern California.Pls do let me know if you can mail them over to me (I shall give my address) & also the cost of each.
Thanks,
KR

ivshah said:
I have 50 folders if any one wants just reply . I live in Santa Clara CA.
Hello,
I am interested in buying folder from you.
I live in sunnyvale.
if you don't mind give me your no and address. I can stop by some time to get the folder.Let me know the folder price.

Hello Friends,
I have participated in previous RT exam.Do I need to resumit fingers print and other documents as mentioned in FAQ no.7. Thanks!

ahpin said:
Hello Friends,
I have participated in previous RT exam.Do I need to resumit fingers print and other documents as mentioned in FAQ no.7. Thanks!

Hello ahpin,
I too have taken previous RT exam. I think all we need to do is send in 1 sheet of application and 2 confirmation cards. If u think we need to send anythingelse let me know. Did u r reference number show up in the list ?
thanks
olety

oletyrags said:
Hello ahpin,
I too have taken previous RT exam. I think all we need to do is send in 1 sheet of application and 2 confirmation cards. If u think we need to send anythingelse let me know. Did u r reference number show up in the list ?
thanks
olety
Hi olety,
Good Morning! Thanks for telling confirmation cards.I will send the application that they returned to me.How do you think about it? My reference number is not showed up in the list yet. Thanks!
ahpin

i called dbc today and something new has come up now. they say that we(california residents) don't have to do live scan fingerprinting now.

the fees and the fingerprinting should be sent when ur name is announced for the exam.

call dbc @916-263-2300 and press extention 2340 to listen to the message.
-- they should have updated this on the website. :mad:

Anyone knows whne the DBC will let people know if you are in the exam or not? it is not another 2 weeks prior to the exam, I hope! :eek:

voice said:
-- they should have updated this on the website. :mad:
Update? Fat chance. This link

http://www.dbc.ca.gov/rtsched.html

still states the RT exam filing period is TBD.

My wife already did the live scan so we are going to send the form in. Hopefully she will get in the exam before the life scan expires. :thumbdown:

this morning at work while assisting the dentist i was trying hard to hold back my tears, they were tears of sadness...i just felt very, very sad and wondered how much longer i have to assist for...i've been doing this for a little over a year now and still have not been able to recuperate from debts incurred preparing for the bench...

earlier i was seriously considering going home but having lived in North america for 3 years I don't know whether living conditions will be better in a 3rd world country yes being able to practise but with meager pay even as a dentist...

in the meantime all our lives are on hold even planning for perhaps another child, which brings me back to the question, how much do I want this and what price am i going to pay and how long do i wait? it's physically, emotionally and mentally exhausting but i guess that's the cost of moving to another country...

hey all ..

im staill waiting for the board to post my NDB reference number .. i know the last time they updated it was 08/06/2004 but has anyones number shown up after that date ? ive triend to call the baord but never get a live person to talk to ..

thanks for the info in advance

mommyr said:
this morning at work while assisting the dentist i was trying hard to hold back my tears, they were tears of sadness...i just felt very, very sad and wondered how much longer i have to assist for...i've been doing this for a little over a year now and still have not been able to recuperate from debts incurred preparing for the bench...

earlier i was seriously considering going home but having lived in North america for 3 years I don't know whether living conditions will be better in a 3rd world country yes being able to practise but with meager pay even as a dentist...

in the meantime all our lives are on hold even planning for perhaps another child, which brings me back to the question, how much do I want this and what price am i going to pay and how long do i wait? it's physically, emotionally and mentally exhausting but i guess that's the cost of moving to another country...
Mommyr,

I'm feeling the same was as you do, moving from another country & starting over again.

I have 2 kids in pre-school. They're both growing up so fast....& so are the expenses. I thought about going to school instead of wating for the exam but I could not afford it.And I didnt want to go back to my country to practice coz the pay isn't worth it. Plus, bec of poor economy, I get frustrated bec the patients could not afford some treatments. So, I have chosen to wait, hope & pray for this exam. I also work as a part time dental assistant. I will try to challenge the RDA exam just so I can get a salary increase. I heard RDA gets $18-$25 depending on experience & how good she/he works...

But I dont want to be an assistant for tooooo long either. But there's no other choice but to wait....... :(

Good luck to us all! :luck:

I want to know from all the people who are sending RT application that if you guys are sending your original cerificate of diploma and the transcripts or the ones ceritified by dean of their dental college back home along with the application.In case you are applying to dental schools as well,you might need the original ones and we don't know when DBC will be returning our original ones.Please let me know your opinions.

Hi There
Was wondering whether there are any classes related to the Bench Exam .. in the Bay Area.
I had heard once that Duggan was planning to come down here and have some course.
Any information will be appreciated.

Also .. any idea how many people apply for the bench exam every year .. and how many from that are allowed to sit for the exam?

Thanks very much
Swati P

hi everyone,
i have a doubt, since we have already sent our original score reports to the DBC, i dont have one right now. i have applied for a new report from ADA, but havnt got it yet. so is it ok if i send my application with out the original or may be just with a xerox copy of the score report?
is there anyone else among us whos waiting for the score report from ADA like me ??
any info would be highly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

i called DBC and asked if I could just attach a photocopy of my score report to the designated area in the application form since i have already submitted my original score card earlier and they said that's fine, they'll just match the application form with the score card they have on file.

sadanand said:
hi everyone,
i have a doubt, since we have already sent our original score reports to the DBC, i dont have one right now. i have applied for a new report from ADA, but havnt got it yet. so is it ok if i send my application with out the original or may be just with a xerox copy of the score report?
is there anyone else among us whos waiting for the score report from ADA like me ??
any info would be highly appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.