Bench exam ! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yasi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After long waiting bench extension has been approved
just want to know how many of you took or will take any course praparaton and if yes which course ucla duggan...
or just practicing yourself
any recommendation....????

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Futuredentist
check ur pm

futurdentist said:
Hi Pkowe,
I Have Just Sent U A Pm . Please Respond As Soon As U Can.

Thank U,
Futurdentist

:luck: Hi Everybody!
I always recommend their business to others, they are very reputable pharmacy online.

They represent good business practices and I will always be a customer of theirs. I received my order ? these guys are great and honest!

They are great and I like ordering from such honest people who take care of their customers.

It's getting more and more unusual to receive fair treatment from internet companies and I just wanted to make sure they got some "good press" when they so obviously deserve it.

Kind Regards,
Monica :oops:

Dear friend,

I would like to know which store sells these special folders for the bench exam. I live in the UK , so I need to ask one of my friends in California to buy it for me and send it to me . I would appreciate it If you could tell me where to buy it.
Your quick response would ne greatly appreciated. I don't know how this website works, but please send me a reply to this email address:
[email protected]

Many thanks
tizad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Ivshah,

where did you buy your folders from ?? I mean which store ??
Thanks,
tizad

I live in New Mexico. I have been looking for this type of folder for several days and cannot find it any of the local stores (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target etc.). Would it be possible for you to mail one to me......please. I would really appreciate

anayyar said:
I live in New Mexico. I have been looking for this type of folder for several days and cannot find it any of the local stores (Staples, Office Depot, Office Max, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target etc.). Would it be possible for you to mail one to me......please. I would really appreciate

I bought from Office Depot.In store, they only have letter size (Smead). You have to order for legal size. If the price is > $ 15, free delivery. UPS will send to your address or you can pick up at Office Depot.

sneha said:
Hi There
Was wondering whether there are any classes related to the Bench Exam .. in the Bay Area.
I had heard once that Duggan was planning to come down here and have some course.
Any information will be appreciated.

Also .. any idea how many people apply for the bench exam every year .. and how many from that are allowed to sit for the exam?

Thanks very much
Swati P

swathi,

my friend had opened up a new state of the art RT training program in the bay area .. the website is www.studydent.com hes a great dentist and a good tutor , ud be lucky to have him train u ..

tx dentist

txdentist said:
swathi,

my friend had opened up a new state of the art RT training program in the bay area .. the website is www.studydent.com hes a great dentist and a good tutor , ud be lucky to have him train u ..

tx dentist
hi!
do you know anyboday has taken this class. how is this class, i mean is it as good as duggan? if you can reply it will be great.

hey all ..

this is for all those who have previously taken the RT exam and have not passed it and are looking to re-apply for the Oct 2004 exam ..

i just called the board because i am re-taking my RT exam and they didnt still put my NDB Ref # up on the website and there is only 9 days left for the deadline. the lady tried to find my original application and told me she couldnt find my file because they sent my application back to me after i falied the test.

my question is: I DID not know that they send back your applications if you take and FAIL the exam. I thought the applications were returned to applicants only if you did not get in to take the test.

so now they dont have my first application and its lost..they dont have my NDB number on the website and acc. to the website they are not done posting all the numbers until the word "end" appears and it says it was last updated on 08/06/04.

On top of all this drama and confusion the application deadline is Sep. 10, 2004.

heres what im doing. im sending in my re-application irrespective of wether my NDB ref # is posted on the website or not. i am also going to attach proof that i already took the exam in aug 2003. i have the confirmation letter then sent me and i will attach my score report that shows that i failed the test. so i guess i can proove that eligible for the rt exam.

has any one in here experienced a similar **** up by the board ? and like the aldy told me today, did any of u who failed the bench get abck your original application from the baord ?? ive never heard of that before ..

?? just askin as it looks like im getting royally jacked by them again

Hi txdentist
I didn't get back my application neither have the others. as far as i know they don't send it back. board representatives are misinformed sometimes so u need to call them again and confirm that u r application is still there. i know 3-4 people who have failed the previous exams and none of their numbers show up in the list.
oletyrags

txdentist said:
hey all ..

this is for all those who have previously taken the RT exam and have not passed it and are looking to re-apply for the Oct 2004 exam ..

i just called the board because i am re-taking my RT exam and they didnt still put my NDB Ref # up on the website and there is only 9 days left for the deadline. the lady tried to find my original application and told me she couldnt find my file because they sent my application back to me after i falied the test.

my question is: I DID not know that they send back your applications if you take and FAIL the exam. I thought the applications were returned to applicants only if you did not get in to take the test.

so now they dont have my first application and its lost..they dont have my NDB number on the website and acc. to the website they are not done posting all the numbers until the word "end" appears and it says it was last updated on 08/06/04.

On top of all this drama and confusion the application deadline is Sep. 10, 2004.

heres what im doing. im sending in my re-application irrespective of wether my NDB ref # is posted on the website or not. i am also going to attach proof that i already took the exam in aug 2003. i have the confirmation letter then sent me and i will attach my score report that shows that i failed the test. so i guess i can proove that eligible for the rt exam.

has any one in here experienced a similar **** up by the board ? and like the aldy told me today, did any of u who failed the bench get abck your original application from the baord ?? ive never heard of that before ..

?? just askin as it looks like im getting royally jacked by them again

oletyrags said:
Hi txdentist
I didn't get back my application neither have the others. as far as i know they don't send it back. board representatives are misinformed sometimes so u need to call them again and confirm that u r application is still there. i know 3-4 people who have failed the previous exams and none of their numbers show up in the list.
oletyrags

oletyrags,

so would u know what ur friends are planning to do ? i suggest they send their application in even if their number doesnt show up on the website and attach proof of the admission ticket and their report card ..

i mean freaking idiots ..wether we are in their "current" pool of eligible candidates or not , legally we are eligible as we have already taken the bench .. and it was clearly mentioned that re-applicants DO NOT need to send in their NDB scores .. it was also mentioned that the list was incomplete until the word "END" showed up and they were still working on updating the eligible candidate list .. the website it still that way and there is only a week for the application deadline .. there is nothing the applicants could do from their side ..

id appreciate it if anyone in the similar situation has any more ideas ..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I took the RT exam before and did not pass the test. My reference number also does not appear on the list. I know few of my friends who also took the RT exam and did not pass. No one got their applications back. And none of their reference numbers appear on the website list either.

What are you guys planning to do?
I will call the dental board and see what I should do?

This regards ppl who are california residents.
What is Live Scan Fingerprinting?
I havent a clue!

Hi swathi,
UOP has a course starting at the end of september.
You might wana call them up and see if they are accepting applicants.

hi there
does anybody have any idea if the deadline for application applies to everybody taking the bench exam irrespective of when....i am not prepared for the benchexams now...so if iam planning to take it next year should my application b sent now....or are they going to put up dates for applying next year.....id appreciate if someone can reply soon....
swati

You have to notify DBC within 45 days after failing the RT Test that you wish to reexamine. Otherwise you loose your eligibilty for any future exams.

ram7378 said:
Hi,

I took the RT exam before and did not pass the test. My reference number also does not appear on the list. I know few of my friends who also took the RT exam and did not pass. No one got their applications back. And none of their reference numbers appear on the website list either.

I will call the dental board and see what I should do?

Sanjiv said:
You have to notify DBC within 45 days after failing the RT Test that you wish to reexamine. Otherwise you loose your eligibilty for any future exams.

the 45 day rule applies only after and "from" the Oct 2004 exam as it was only included in the Bill AB1457 and not stated previously ..

ram7378 said:
Hi,

I will call the dental board and see what I should do?[/QUOTE

as u know im in the same spot .. im sending the appln in regardless of whether my ref # is posted or if they lost my original file ..

just mail the application with proof of u taking the previous test and ur failed test report.. there can be no better proof than that ..and include a copy of ur ndb report..

if uve noticed our NDB Ref # is NOT printed on the Bench Report .. neither is our SSN so they can match both the NDB report and the Bench report .. so they are going to move their lazy fat asses a little bit more to verify our eligibility , which they deserve..

yeah, sure try to contact them on the phone and try to work it out even if its after the application deadline .. Atleast they cant say u never appied for the Oct 2004 test before the deadline ..

Hi !

Does anybody know from where we can buy the necessary equipments for the bench exam coarse? Especially the compressor?

Thank You!

futurdentist said:
Hi !

Does anybody know from where we can buy the necessary equipments for the bench exam coarse? Especially the compressor?

Thank You!
Hi futuredentist,

I got my compressor from home depot. Very affordable. It's a little bit noisy compared to the real dental compressors, but it just work as well as the expensive ones. I just place it inside a closed cabinet whenever I use it to minimize the noise (& to avoid compaints from neighbors).

All my instruments & materials, I got it from Duggan.

Hi,

I called up the CA dental board person. When I asked her that my ref number does not appear on the website although I took the RT exam. She replied that they are not done with posting the numbers and we need to wait. She was very rude in her reply. I already sent my application and asked to her the status (if it was complete or not). She replied that if you have sent it, then it should be complete. I don't know what the heck she meant. She was rude and very lazy and did not bother to check my file.

Anyway, I think we need to wait & see what happens.

Hi,

If I haven't preapared for the exam yet , but willing to take the UCLA course in Sept. or Oct. , do u think i have a chance to be prepared by Nov.?
Do u think i would have enough time to buy the equipment before the Sept 13 course?
Do u think i should send my application now or till next year?????

Thanks.

now the rank swells to 2000 candidates :(

Wonder when CDB will annouce the lucky few to sit in the Nov exam. :mad:

Hi, guys!
I was wondering if anyone attended UOP bench course. I would like to hear your feedback. I'm planning to attend the course, but I'm not sure whether it worth it. Thanks.

hi feruza,
where did u find information about the uop course....when does it start and wht is the cost?

Hey feruza,
I'll be taking the uop course as well. I just got the list of things to buy for the course. i dont know whether to buy these things from the uop book store or the stores that they have mentioned with the list or is it worthwhile to go looking for second hand stuff.

Hey shaya,
The UOP course starts Sept' 28th and it costs $ 2,500.
Call 415-929-6486 and ask for 'Post Graduate Studies'.
You can get all the information there.

Hi there, here is the info from their web in the UOP:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sept 28, 29, 30
Preparation for the California State Board "Bench Test"
Restorative Technique Exam
WITH Practice Sessions: Oct 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
AND a Mock Board: Saturday, Oct 23
Course Director: James Milani, DDS
Faculty: Brian Kenyon, DDS; Ai Streacker, DDS
Tuition: $2,500
Deposit: $830 (non-refundable deposit)
Time: 7:30 am - 5:30 pm (registration 7:00 am first day)
MOCK BOARD only:
Tuition: $695
Deposit: $250 (non-refundable deposit)
Time: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm (registration begins at 7:30 am)
This is the web you can check this out http://www.dental.uop.edu/ce1/schedule.htm, is the 6th course scheduled in their continuing education link.

Then you have duggans: www.duggandds.com http://www.duggandds.com/courses/board/ca_bench/courses_ca_bench.asp

UCLA;
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/ContinuingEducation/index.asp?id=314
and this one too:
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/ContinuingEducation/index.asp?id=482
They have also Mock Boards:
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/ContinuingEducation/index.asp?id=481

Here is a new Institute www.studydent.com, check the place before take the course and see if you like it or not...
http://www.studydent.com/corsbb.htm

stefanels said:
Hey feruza,
I'll be taking the uop course as well. I just got the list of things to buy for the course. i dont know whether to buy these things from the uop book store or the stores that they have mentioned with the list or is it worthwhile to go looking for second hand stuff.

Hi, there!
I'll be takin UOP couse as well. As for the list of instruments - I'm trying to find the ways how to cut my expenses. Burs, teeth, etc. - I'll buy through UOP store. Handpiece, I don't think I'm going to pay what they are asking for. I'll try to look for used ones. They will work just fine. By the way, where are staying in San Francisco? Keep in touch.

firuza* said:
Hi, there!
I'll be takin UOP couse as well. As for the list of instruments - I'm trying to find the ways how to cut my expenses. Burs, teeth, etc. - I'll buy through UOP store. Handpiece, I don't think I'm going to pay what they are asking for. I'll try to look for used ones. They will work just fine. By the way, where are staying in San Francisco? Keep in touch.

You guys may want to try with the Golden Gate Dental Supply, it's store in South San Francisco that sells a bit cheaper. I don't have the phone number handy right now and I won't be going back to school in the next few days to get it for you, but you might find in on the yellow pages.

Also UCSF has a dental store, but I have no idea whether it may be cheaper or not.

Also, make sure you know what typodonts will be using for the course. At UOP we use different typodonts, they are not the Columbia ones. And the Columbia teeth don't fit in ours. Just to warn you before you spend the money.

Also, the handpiece connection..... make sure you're getting the right kind. Some labs at UOP have the fiber optic light connection, but I doubt they won't make you use those, 'cause those are expensive. $600 a piece!! I assume you guys will be using the other big lab with regular 4 hole connection.

What is it that they're making you buy?

Hi to all- I'm new to this forum, but have been reading it since a longtime. Forum is really informative. I'm from India. Given part I Nbde.My satus-PartI-88, Gpa-3.53, have MDS and 2 years of work experiance. Applied to Nyu, bu & Upen. I have my interview in UPEn on Nov 3rd. Just curious to know how many are in the same boat. Bye

Hey everyone,
Does anyone have any idea when the DBC will let us know who got into the exam?

:confused: I heard that Duggan is teaching how to make PFM preps on molars, and class IIs on 2 & 14 (DO) and even on 1 & 16. How true is this??

If this is true, can anyone please tell me how to do that.... :oops:

My sentiments exactly, has anyone called DBC to ask or who has an insider to let us know when they'll post those candidates for the Nov. exam? It's so near and I haven't practised just bec. I am tired from work and not really motivated till I find out for sure.

shelly78 said:
Hey everyone,
Does anyone have any idea when the DBC will let us know who got into the exam?

Hello txdentist
the board has update the list today u might want to check your reference number in the list cos my number was in the list today. best of luck.
ps: once in the pdf list u can use ctrl F to find u r number its easier that way.
oletyrags

firuza* said:
Hi, there!

I live in the bay area. 30 mins south of the city so i wont be stying in San Francisco. Question: how and where do you find used hand pieces. And how would you know if it works?

Meggs said:
You guys may want to try with the Golden Gate Dental Supply, it's store in South San Francisco that sells a bit cheaper. I don't have the phone number handy right now and I won't be going back to school in the next few days to get it for you, but you might find in on the yellow pages.

Also UCSF has a dental store, but I have no idea whether it may be cheaper or not.

Also, make sure you know what typodonts will be using for the course. At UOP we use different typodonts, they are not the Columbia ones. And the Columbia teeth don't fit in ours. Just to warn you before you spend the money.

Also, the handpiece connection..... make sure you're getting the right kind. Some labs at UOP have the fiber optic light connection, but I doubt they won't make you use those, 'cause those are expensive. $600 a piece!! I assume you guys will be using the other big lab with regular 4 hole connection.

Thanks for the info Meggs. You are right about the hand pieces , cus when i had gone to take admission tests at UOP, my handpiece didnt have the correct number of holes.
So I had to rent one from them for $ 60.

They are asking us to bring the entire lab it seems.. its a three page long list. ..including burners etc.. which frankly i thought they would provide.
They havent been specific about the handpieces at all.
No names or numbers have been included so i havent a clue as to what kind to get.

stefanels said:
Thanks for the info Meggs. You are right about the hand pieces , cus when i had gone to take admission tests at UOP, my handpiece didnt have the correct number of holes.
So I had to rent one from them for $ 60.

They are asking us to bring the entire lab it seems.. its a three page long list. ..including burners etc.. which frankly i thought they would provide.
They havent been specific about the handpieces at all.
No names or numbers have been included so i havent a clue as to what kind to get.

I find it crazy too. I'm not going to buy burners...I don't know, i don't think I'm going to do it. I think, that instead of breakfasts and lunches they should of provide us at least with more detailed info on handpieces, diamonds, etc. Handpiece...I have borrowed mine, but I think if you will shop for a used one, ask them how it works if you will be unsatisfied with the handpiece you would purchase.

There is roughly 2750 reference numbers on the updated list. That means there must be at least 11 exams till to 2008 ( 250 candidate per exam) , in order to every candidate get only one attemp. In other word I think even three exam a year might not be enough.

:D HA HA HA...

UCSF student store would tell you to buy from UOP store!!!!

UCSF store only sells to UCSF people. It was more like a intermediate service rather than store.

Meggs said:

If you go to the DBC website and click on the RT exam schedule, you would find that "Examination dates and locations are subject to change". I just smell something fishy now that they've deleted the information regarding the November exam's date, location, filing deadline and status.

Ivorinedust
======================================

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

benchprep said:
Hi Sneha,
There is a Doctor in Bay area who teaches for Bech exam. She is very good in teaching and explained me all easy methods of making good preps. Ever since I took class from her, I am bound to do a good prep. Ofcourse, I need to check myself in Mockboard in Duggan though. She charges on per prep basis and you can take class for any prep you want. She charges very less....less than $200/prep.

Let me know if you want more details.

Manas

hi!
Can u give that doctor's Contect info Pls!

thanks.

ivorinedust said:
If you go to the DBC website and click on the RT exam schedule, you would find that "Examination dates and locations are subject to change". I just smell something fishy now that they've deleted the information regarding the November exam's date, location, filing deadline and status.

Ivorinedust
======================================

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

Interesting! Although, the DBC Home Page remains unchanged....

Status
Not open for further replies.