Bench exam ! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yasi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After long waiting bench extension has been approved
just want to know how many of you took or will take any course praparaton and if yes which course ucla duggan...
or just practicing yourself
any recommendation....????

Members don't see this ad.

thanx manas for the response...can u give me the contact info...i need to take a complete course for the bench...so do u know how much the whole course will cost n the location...and also if she conducts a full course for the bench...
swathi

Finally they have placed the word END on the last page of the posted reference numbers, I estimated there are about 3000 of us in total. Who has spoken to DBC with regards to informing us of candidates for the Nov exam? This whole thing is driving me nuts, a part of me is rebelling and so I have not been practising ... and i know this will bring me trouble should I be called!

Mommyr,
I know it's tough waiting endlessly but you got to start practising,since this may be the only chance you will get. We got to motivate each other.So,get your typodont out and get going girl!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks shelly. I need the push I can make a million excuses really bec. I'm drained from work and my family life and yet I know I must keep going. Sometimes though I'm wondering at what cost and when does this end? I have been putting off having a second child and I just wonder how much longer?

shelly78 said:
Mommyr,
I know it's tough waiting endlessly but you got to start practising,since this may be the only chance you will get. We got to motivate each other.So,get your typodont out and get going girl!! :thumbup:

i totally understand...i just dont hav the entusism to practice although i know i should.....r u going to take a review course at duggans if u get selected?

oletyrags

thanks for the message.. my number was listed on their very last update ..its good i got my appln in irrespective of the website update and i hope others did the same too instead of waiting until after the deadline ..

good luck in ur preperation ..as usual im going to wait until i know im taking the test..some things never change ..

oletyrags said:
Hello txdentist
the board has update the list today u might want to check your reference number in the list cos my number was in the list today. best of luck.
ps: once in the pdf list u can use ctrl F to find u r number its easier that way.
oletyrags

completedenture said:
anyone who is RE-taking the exam got their reference number in the list?

hey completedenture,

i am retaking the test and my ref. # showed up on the latest website update almost 3 weeks after the deadline ..

i hope uve been reading this thread and took my advise by sending in ur application before Sep. 10th and not waiting for them to post it online ..

ivorinedust said:
If you go to the DBC website and click on the RT exam schedule, you would find that "Examination dates and locations are subject to change". I just smell something fishy now that they've deleted the information regarding the November exam's date, location, filing deadline and status.

Ivorinedust

i wouldnt be surprised it they told us the RT exam was already held last week at some undisclosed location and laughing their balls off saying we all missed it ... isnt that how they are with dates ? posting eligibility #'s after the appln. deadline .. crazy ..

hi! friends,
I have question regarding magnifying loops.I have orascoptic loops. I have just started using it.
I want to know what distance is good for loops using for banch exam, they have 4 types of distance.
1) short distance.
2) Regular
3) long
4) x-long

I have regular distance loops, i heard duggan prefer short distance loops. With my regular distance loops i am not able to do prep very closly, i have to keep it at some distance and thats the problem

So if any one has idea, that this is just i have started so its like this or should i go for short distance .(duggan suggested).

Thanks,
Waiting to hear from you guys soon pls!

I use Orascoptic, regular loupes, 2.5x.
They are just fine, it need some time to get used to them.
When I first started using them I had similar problem, I tend to hold typodont to close, and then couldn't able to focus well on prep.
Probably your instructor hold typodont in hand, this is good idea only if you have very stable hand. I prefer to hold typodont on firm bench top. And then you adjust the height of chair to maintain 'regular' distance. Main advantage of using regular distance: you won't break your back. I think if you are using loupes, and you are keeping typodont little further than you used to keep, still it should be okay, as you are using magnification.

And even if you are not feeling comfortable with regular distance, then you can always exchange, within certain time frame.

Other problems I faced initially with loupes were,

1. Fog on lenses
2. 'Ivorine Dust' on lenses
3. Eye strain and mild headache after 1-2 hrs of use.

You can get rid of fog by placing mask (nose clip) snugly on nose and by antifog solution on glasses. Eye strain/ headache should go with time. Tooth dust- Pass the bench exam soon !!

Good Luck.

ivshah said:
hi! friends,
I have question regarding magnifying loops.I have orascoptic loops. I have just started using it.
I want to know what distance is good for loops using for banch exam, they have 4 types of distance.
1) short distance.
2) Regular
3) long
4) x-long

I have regular distance loops, i heard duggan prefer short distance loops. With my regular distance loops i am not able to do prep very closly, i have to keep it at some distance and thats the problem

So if any one has idea, that this is just i have started so its like this or should i go for short distance .(duggan suggested).

Thanks,
Waiting to hear from you guys soon pls!

txdentist said:
oletyrags

thanks for the message.. my number was listed on their very last update ..its good i got my appln in irrespective of the website update and i hope others did the same too instead of waiting until after the deadline ..

good luck in ur preperation ..as usual im going to wait until i know im taking the test..some things never change ..

Hi Txdentist
Thats great. Guess you were upset cos of their incompetence. I did send in my application, I guess others might also have done the same. I don't feel like practicing untill I get my name on the list for next exam. goodluck to u too.

Oletyrags

R there any review courses at Duggan's classes so that we can join that once we get a chance for nov. I guess review course is best for people who already finished Banch course.

Dear fellows,
This coming monday starts the crash course at the UCLA . I'd invested until the last penny but I think it will be worthed! :luck:

I think the latest we find out that we are in the exam, the more expensive it gets. oh well...the DBC don't care

drilling for gold....
chiopea

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,
im not sure if this is the right place to post this qs but im a bit curious to know what the whole WREB and Calif board merging thing is(as it reads on the dbc website). i tried reading the link but its kind of confusing, so can someone just explain this concisely n in simple terms.is it of any use to us(foreign trained dentists) as far as examination goes or is it only meant to be of consequence to american grads??
thanks.

dentobabe said:
hi everyone,
im not sure if this is the right place to post this qs but im a bit curious to know what the whole WREB and Calif board merging thing is(as it reads on the dbc website). i tried reading the link but its kind of confusing, so can someone just explain this concisely n in simple terms.is it of any use to us(foreign trained dentists) as far as examination goes or is it only meant to be of consequence to american grads??
thanks.

hi Dentobabe,
I could not find that link, could you please post it here.

Generally my understanding is that only the american grads will be able to take the WREB instead of Ca licence test if they want.

hey guys,
has anyone got the acceptance card from dbc? its less than a month for the exam,and those *****'s just dont care.initially when i saw the list about 1500 people were listed and each one had a one in a six chance,well that was a bit motivating,so i was practising back then, but now there are 3000 people,and we have like a one in a 12 chance,this so totally sucks,i have just stopped practisng.i dont know how long will this go on. it also seems that this time only those who had applied for the last years august exam and didnt get in, they will be givin priority.(dont know if its really true). guys we are 3000 of us, its a big number. we should all do something,force them to have atleast 4 exams a year. also we should force them to come out with a list as to when each one will get a chance.

when did you hear that? I applied way back in may 2003 and i have never been called!
sonia vashist said:
hey guys,
has anyone got the acceptance card from dbc? its less than a month for the exam,and those *****'s just dont care.initially when i saw the list about 1500 people were listed and each one had a one in a six chance,well that was a bit motivating,so i was practising back then, but now there are 3000 people,and we have like a one in a 12 chance,this so totally sucks,i have just stopped practisng.i dont know how long will this go on. it also seems that this time only those who had applied for the last years august exam and didnt get in, they will be givin priority.(dont know if its really true). guys we are 3000 of us, its a big number. we should all do something,force them to have atleast 4 exams a year. also we should force them to come out with a list as to when each one will get a chance.

my wife called Duggan to order a typodont, and was told the info. Some people received confirmation last Saturday.

I got the same info, one from calif and other from NY, they got their confirmation cards today afetrnoon. I hope get mine during this week, good luck to everyone....

mommyr said:
who got a confirmation that you know and when?

I got the confirmation card today. I took exam in 2002.
Last date to pay the fee is Oct 22.Thanks.
Good Luck!

Hi,
I am taking mock board on coming tuesday(10/19) in Duggans. Is there anyone who is giving mock board on same day. Please email me.

congratulations. i feel so envious, not that i am prepared to take the exam right now, far from it bec. i have not been practising at all but the suspense is killing me...i just want to know ami i or am i not in the exam!!!!!!!!! :scared:

have you received a confirmation yet? do you think we can call DBC to find out?

pkowe said:
Hi,
I am taking mock board on coming tuesday(10/19) in Duggans. Is there anyone who is giving mock board on same day. Please email me.

i think only those who had applied before and didnt get a chance,and the people who have flunked the exam before,are getting a chance this time.i guess if we havnt got the confirmation cards yet,we probably wont since the last date for the fees is 22nd oct. but this is ridiculous,they should have atleast come out with a list on their website. is this how its going to be,a mystery!!! evry time a date is announced we practise like crazy,and keep praying for a confirmation card,and yet again be disappointed. we should all do something.

ya sonia, everyone knows that something should be done but dont we all know what ass....s the dbc people are? and specially when they know that something is going to be beneficial for us, theyll go ahead n make doubly sure that they dont do it.
the best thing for dbc itself that would come out of them posting all the dates fr all candidates would be that so many would just opt out becoz theyd not be interested in dallying around so many years fr the exam!! this would just reduce dbc`s workload, but no, they are just torturers.....
i know im asking too much, but still keep your cool :rolleyes:
i hope u got my email, talk to u later,
u know who!

You both are right. and, everybody waiting for bench exam will agree that we all should do something.

But, this is little difficult, as this is bunch of scattered people, who don't have anybody to represent them. I wish for AABA (American Association of Bench Applicants :D )

Well, yesterday, after spending too many day time minutes of my cell, I could get to talk with DBC representative. My name was not on the list. I don't care much. But they should have informed us about the criteria for selection.

When I asked,' was there any Criteria ?' she explained it to me. I understood it this way :They divided applicants into groups, failures, old ones, new ones. And selected candidates from each group, so applicants from all catagory can have a chance.

Well, I stopped analyzing DBC's logic on RT exam long back. But feel they should declare schedule for everybody. atleast thatswhat they promised us.

By Sonia:
"i think only those who had applied before and didnt get a chance,and the people who have flunked the exam before,are getting a chance this time.i guess if we havnt got the confirmation cards yet,we probably wont since the last date for the fees is 22nd oct. but this is ridiculous,they should have atleast come out with a list on their website. is this how its going to be,a mystery!!! evry time a date is announced we practise like crazy,and keep praying for a confirmation card,and yet again be disappointed. we should all do something."

dentobabe said:
ya sonia, everyone knows that something should be done but dont we all know what ass....s the dbc people are? and specially when they know that something is going to be beneficial for us, theyll go ahead n make doubly sure that they dont do it.
the best thing for dbc itself that would come out of them posting all the dates fr all candidates would be that so many would just opt out becoz theyd not be interested in dallying around so many years fr the exam!! this would just reduce dbc`s workload, but no, they are just torturers.....
i know im asking too much, but still keep your cool :rolleyes:
i hope u got my email, talk to u later,
u know who!

There are 3000 of us waiting. Not all of us will pass the first time although that is the goal and most of us may not get a 2nd chance for the bench at this rate, that's why I am advocating for a lawyer to give us legal representation and a class action suit should the DBC foul up. I live in Canada so I am thinking maybe one of you knows a good lawyer and do your research. This will benefit us all longterm. We can whine all we want but having legal representation I think is a smart step in the right direction. Someone find us a lawyer!!!

Hi guys,

Just got to talk to somebody from the dental board this morning.They said they would be putting up the ref. no's on the net today (nov. exam goers list).Lets hope they do, atleast this painful waiting would be over.

sum

Hey all,
I was told yesterday that the website will have the numbers of selected candidates today after 5.00p.m I have given up waiting.Mommyr ,ivshah what's your story?

ahpin said:
I got the confirmation card today. I took exam in 2002.
Last date to pay the fee is Oct 22.Thanks.
Good Luck!

hi there....was wondering....since you've received your confirmation....what other documents did they make you send to the board together with the payment? will have them all ready just in case my number shows up in the list... :rolleyes:

i talked to the DBC operator they said they'll try to post it today but if not it would be monday at the lastest. she said they still have 50-80 names to draw for the nov. exam, the're not done with the selection. torture!

mommyr said:
i talked to the DBC operator they said they'll try to post it today but if not it would be monday at the lastest. she said they still have 50-80 names to draw for the nov. exam, the're not done with the selection. torture!

Seems different representatives provide different information, one of them told me they are done with selection of candidates.

I imagine one of their tricks will be sending over the confimation cards to the selected candidates by the 22nd of october and the deadline for recieving the fees will be the 22nd :idea:

Is absolute necesary a legal representation for us right to take at less two times ...just if the CDB make more than two times year...
We need a legal help to fight us rights...

I agree to find some lawyer and we need stay together...
undefinedundefined

Still no sign of the ref #s.
I was told the same story about them being up after 5pm and its past midnight already.
This is ridiculous... how can they slack like this, knowing the immense amount of stress we're going through. People are planning their entire future around this stupid exam and have to go through so much suffering just because someone wasnt efficient enough to complete their task on time...do they even realize how many ppl's lives are at steak here??!!!

there are 3000 of us, we can all afford a very good lawyer. i suggest someone ask around for referrals and about retainer fees. we can't sit idly by for this future turning event... i agree our lives are disrupted and our bank acct is burning a hole in our pocket ... someone find us an excellent lawyer fast!

i think all of us would be excited about this idea, and we are paying a lot for waiting, why instead not pay for a good lawyer who shall handle our problems and the dbc descimination for the international dentists?

hi fully agree with it.lets find who all r supportive of this idea .we can form association , all can share some money for common fund and get a legal representative to fight for us.we can also lobby with our assembly members.

My Dad just called right now from San Francisco and I am taking the exam. But I am still supportive of the lawyer idea and fully prepeared to pay the fee when we find one. My worry only is I have stopped practising and will need to resign from my job and cram now. I have to fly to the US next week.

mommyr said:
My Dad just called right now from San Francisco and I am taking the exam. But I am still supportive of the lawyer idea and fully prepeared to pay the fee when we find one. My worry only is I have stopped practising and will need to resign from my job and cram now. I have to fly to the US next week.

Hey !!!!!!!!!!!!
I am really happy for you. Go for it. Don't care about job and all that. You will do good. Let us know if you need any help.
Good Luck.

you are all faceless names that I personally do not know but somehow you all sincerely encourage me, thank you very much support group...

Hi mommyr,

Congratulations! very happy for u....give it ur very best and I'm sure u'll do fine! all the very best to u..

sum

hi guys,

heard from the dental board 2day that they have sent out around 200 confirmation cards,they are yet to send out around 50 of them which they will htoday or 2mw and will put up the whole list on the net by tuedsay or latest by wednesday. wonder when thats gonna happpen though!

sum

Status
Not open for further replies.