paleman

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
For all those who didn't know, Dr A. Bernard Ackerman died last week. He was a leader in the field of Dermatopathology, and has been one of the most productive pathologists of recent times.

KeratinPearls

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
For all those who didn't know, Dr A. Bernard Ackerman died last week. He was a leader in the field of Dermatopathology, and has been one of the most productive pathologists of recent times.
Didn't know that. He is the father of Dermpath.

TMZ2007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2007
USA
Status
Post Doc
I did a dermpath rotation with Rapini a few months ago and he spoke very highly of Dr. Ackerman (despite disagreeing vociferously with many of Ackerman's conclusions).

About the Ads

paleman

10+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I did a dermpath rotation with Rapini a few months ago and he spoke very highly of Dr. Ackerman (despite disagreeing vociferously with many of Ackerman's conclusions).
people relished "disagreeing vociferously" behind his back. Bernie would eat the average critic for lunch. anyone see the ackerman versus rosai battle at USCAP 1989?

Path_Anon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
people relished "disagreeing vociferously" behind his back. Bernie would eat the average critic for lunch. anyone see the ackerman versus rosai battle at USCAP 1989?
does this explain why poor ol' Rosai was forced into exile in Milan? :laugh::laugh: yeah right. i'm sure he's living it up with the all the wine and fine brunettes.

zao275

Assistant Professor
10+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Status
Attending Physician
TMZ is correct. Rapini speaks highly of Ackerman, and of other dermatopathologists, even if he disagrees with their ideas. He always talks about how dermpath is a free for all where everyone has their own ideas and criteria, as opposed to gyn path, for example, where more rigid standards and criteria are applied. Dr. Diwan at M.D. Anderson said that even if you disagree with Ackerman (as he usually does), he did make dermpath fun with all of his clues, the "spaghetti sign" for MF, etc. In any case, he made contributions numerous to the study academic of dermatopathology.

Rbrav

15+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
No, but please, do tell ...

Matte Kudesai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
Status
Last edited:

horrendoma

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
does this explain why poor ol' Rosai was forced into exile in Milan? :laugh::laugh: yeah right. i'm sure he's living it up with the all the wine and fine brunettes.

Hmmm I wonder how they managed to write a textbook together. or was that a different Ackerman?

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
Hmmm I wonder how they managed to write a textbook together. or was that a different Ackerman?
That was Lauren Ackerman, formerly of Wash U St Louis. Here is his obit from 15 yrs ago. Everyone who goes into pathology should learn a bit about Lauren Ackerman.

I spent a lot of time on that website Ackerman start about truthful testimony. http://www.truthfultestimony.org/ It was fascinating to get a glimpse into the malpractice arena, whether you agree with Ackerman's positions and tactics or not.

docbiohazard

Highly ranked amateur
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2007
Biocontainment
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I spent a lot of time on that website Ackerman start about truthful testimony. http://www.truthfultestimony.org/ It was fascinating to get a glimpse into the malpractice arena, whether you agree with Ackerman's positions and tactics or not.
Wow, interesting site... thanks for the link. I just read through the "deposition at Kinko's" transcript. Pretty interesting stuff...

SeenTheLight

10+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
yaah, the case on that site was a very interesting read. Thanks for making me aware of the site.
That was Lauren Ackerman, formerly of Wash U St Louis. Here is his obit from 15 yrs ago. Everyone who goes into pathology should learn a bit about Lauren Ackerman.

About the Ads