Best Med school states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused engineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the best states to be a resident of for getting accepted into the in-state MD schools?

I am particularly interested in comparing OH, PA, and NY.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What are the best states to be a resident of for getting accepted into the in-state MD schools?

As far as NY, the SUNYs take roughly 1/4 to upwards of 1/3 of their class as out of state, in case this data helps you in your analysis.

The remaining privates (Albany, Rochester, NYMC, Hofstra, Albert Einstein, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Cornell, Columbia) are exclusively private and tend to show no in-state preference/bias.

I think Ohio has a good spread. 5 publics and 1 private. Neomed and Wright State have good interest in primary care and lower stats. Toledo seems a little more competitive... maybe between a low and mid tier. Cincy and OSU are both large academic schools. Good reach schools for those with lower stats but still IS. Case as a high tier private, very research heavy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New York, because ...................... ITS NEW YORK!

Reactions: 1 user
Texas if you are instate.

I believe we'll have 13 medical schools by 2019.

11 MD / 2 DO

90% have to be Texas residents. Only 10% allowed to be out of state.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Florida is pretty great too

7 MD schools, all of which are 50% or more in state.

As for of the ones you listed id say NY for sheer volume of schools. I don't care what a med school says they're always going to show some small preference for IS applicants practically speaking.

MSAR can tell you this on the Acceptance information pages.

Good states for residents are:

GA
ND
SD
MS
NM
NV
GA
NC
SC
FL
AL
LA
AR
WA and other WWAMI
OR
NE
MN
MO
MA

QUOTE="Confused engineer, post: 18156886, member: 749054"]What are the best states to be a resident of for getting accepted into the in-state MD schools?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]

Florida is pretty great too

7 MD schools, all of which are 50% or more in state.

As for of the ones you listed id say NY for sheer volume of schools. I don't care what a med school says they're always going to show some small preference for IS applicants practically speaking.

But each school only interviews ~10% of all applicants. FL is great if you are the top of the top, then you are virtually guaranteed to get in multiple schools. But if you are in the middle of the pack, it is one of the hardest states to get accepted, with a ~25% acceptance rate for in-state residents.

But each school only interviews ~10% of all applicants. FL is great if you are the top of the top, then you are virtually guaranteed to get in multiple schools. But if you are in the middle of the pack, it is one of the hardest states to get accepted, with a ~25% acceptance rate for in-state residents.

lol what?

First there's no such thing as a 25% acceptance rate, because we don't know how many people received multiple acceptances. There is a 25% in state matriculation rate which is pretty damn great though. That's of ALL APPLICANTS.

Of course it's no Kentucky or W Virginia where being in state basically guarantees you 50/50 shot at admission to their lone state school.

Just look at MCAT averages. We have 4 schools with an average of 31 or below. And they all take between 50-100% instate students. That's definitley quite a bit more than the "top of the top"

Last edited:

GA
ND
SD
MS
NM
NV
GA
NC
SC
FL
AL
LA
AR
WA and other WWAMI
OR
NE
MN
MO
MA

QUOTE="Confused engineer, post: 18156886, member: 749054"]What are the best states to be a resident of for getting accepted into the in-state MD schools?

[/QUOTE]

What about Illinois, Texas and West Virginia? Aren't these pretty good states to be a resident in too?

Yes. The list was not meant to be inclusive it was just off the top of my head

What about Illinois, Texas and West Virginia? Aren't these pretty good states to be a resident in too?[/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Florida, Michigan, Texas, Ohio

I wish my parents lived in North Dakota, Mississippi, or Arkansas. The chances that you get a II and then accepted are extremely high.

The IS matriculation for each of those is: OH 34%; PA 27%; NY 27%. The mean MCAT by state of residence is: OH 31.3; PA 32.2; and NY 32.1.

OH wins.

Ohio's IS matriculation rate gets artificially inflated because of the 100+ Ohio residents in NEOMED's special programs
That said it's probably the best choice here unless you grew up in northeastern PA.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstablea5.pdf
Any state with an IS matriculation % >40% is really good.
Any state where it's <20% is on the unfavorable side.
Florida btw is a rather "meh" state for MD admission.
Best state for MD admission out of any is West Virginia and I dont think it's even close, Marshall guarantees an II to anybody IS with a 3.5+/26+ and the majority get accepted.

Last edited:
I ran a few calculations using MSAR data with some hypotheticals. I know its a little tangential but here are the top 10 schools based on in state preference:

University of Vermont College of Medicine
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Mississippi School of Medicine
Sanford School of Medicine The University of South Dakota
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
University of Nebraska College of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
University of Alabama School of Medicine

Also, remember that matriculant data is not the same as accepted data.

I know I would never see CA in threads like these...

GA
ND
SD
MS
NM
NV
GA
NC
SC
FL
AL
LA
AR
WA and other WWAMI
OR
NE
MN
MO
MA

[/QUOTE]

Respectfully disagree about WA - worst of any state except Maryland by percentage of residents who matriculate in-state. Washington residents have only one MD school and have to share it with all of Wyoming, Alaska, Idaho and Montana - none of which have their own MD school. I don't have the link to the table handy but just looked at it this week.

Uh this is probably the single WORST state not counting those that don't actually have a state school....
4474693.jpg

I was kidding.

Last edited:
I think Oklahoma is a pretty good state in terms of percentage of students who get in from in state.

California and it's not even close.
Delusional. I'm from CA, extremely competitive (I have 15 ****ing interviews) and not a single CA school has shown me love.

I have more II from Texas and New York public schools than secondaries from UC schools.

What a joke.

Edit: I now see you were joking. My rant stands I hate this stupid amazing beautiful state

Reactions: 4 users
Delusional. I'm from CA, extremely competitive (I have 15 ****ing interviews) and not a single CA school has shown me love.

I have more II from Texas and New York public schools than secondaries from UC schools.

What a joke.

Edit: I now see you were joking. My rant stands I hate this stupid amazing beautiful state
Preach.

Reactions: 3 users

What a joke.

I love/hate Cali for so many reasons. It's so infuriating, because I love the location but hate so many of the stupid laws and various other issues (med school admissions, for example).

Yes. The list was not meant to be inclusive it was just off the top of my head

What about Illinois, Texas and West Virginia? Aren't these pretty good states to be a resident in too?
[/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head, Southern Illinois University only accepts IL residents and has a central/southern IL bias with 75%+ students from below I-80.

What a joke.

I've only been on SDN for like 3 years, but I've seen a number of "75+LizzyM, excellent ECs, yet only 1 or 0 CA IIs" posts. It must be very frustrating.

Nevertheless, it sounds like you're having a great cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
Respectfully disagree about WA - worst of any state except Maryland by percentage of residents who matriculate in-state. Washington residents have only one MD school and have to share it with all of Wyoming, Alaska, Idaho and Montana - none of which have their own MD school. I don't have the link to the table handy but just looked at it this week.
Not only that, but the western states without medical schools have more in-state treatment / tuition options than just the university of washington. The WICHE program gives them in-state treatment at almost all state medical schools in the mountain & pacific time zones.

If you define "in-state" as getting the preferred interview invites and minimal tuition, the best state to be from is probably Wyoming, because of their in-state access to Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, the Arizonas, etc etc etc.

I've only been on SDN for like 3 years, but I've seen a number of "75+LizzyM, excellent ECs, yet only 1 or 0 CA IIs" posts. It must be very frustrating.

Nevertheless, it sounds like you're having a great cycle!
Hahah yes I'm definitely very happy with how my cycle is going. I just wish the decision of either staying in california or leaving wasn't being made for me :(

Although I'll 100% take what I get and I am so excited about how my cycle is going.

Not only that, but the western states without medical schools have more in-state treatment / tuition options than just the university of washington. The WICHE program gives them in-state treatment at almost all state medical schools in the mountain & pacific time zones.

If you define "in-state" as getting the preferred interview invites and minimal tuition, the best state to be from is probably Wyoming, because of their in-state access to Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, the Arizonas, etc etc etc.

Yes. Agree that it would be better to be from Wyoming or Idaho than from Washington for those reasons.

I would caution against moving to another state and establishing residency just to get into med school. AdComs are not comprised of idiots -- many (most?) schools will see right through the ruse. Ole Miss specifically warns applicants not to try this.

Last edited:
I would caution against moving to another state and establishing residency just to get into med school. AdComs are not comprised of idiots -- many (most?) schools will see right through the ruse. Ole Miss specifically warns students not to try this.

As long as you have established legal residence they should have nothing against you. Many people move states for legit reasons.

Albeit, establishing residency takes several years. I know in Texas it takes at least 2 years to be considered an in-state resident.

As long as you have established legal residence they should have nothing against you. Many people move states for legit reasons.

Albeit, establishing residency takes several years. I know in Texas it takes at least 2 years to be considered an in-state resident.

It's perfectly logical. If I'm sitting on an AdCom and my goal is to recruit physicians who will stay and practice in my home state, why would I waste an acceptance on a kid who will likely just get his/her degree and bail? Some schools are fine with it and obviously some people get away with it, but I think it's a big gamble.

Last edited:
It's perfectly logical. If I'm sitting on an AdCom and my goal is to recruit physicians who will stay and practice in my home state, why would I waste an acceptance on a kid who will likely just get his/her degree and bail? Some schools are fine with it and obviously some people get away with it, but I think it's a big gamble.

How do they know you moved just for admissions purposes? People move for many reasons.

I don't care what the list is about or measuring, Texas is in it as a matter of principle until such a time as we see fit to leave it for whatever reason.

My name is Lucca and I speak for the Texans

How do they know you moved just for admissions purposes? People move for many reasons.
I'm sure the schools that are vigilant about this sort of thing do the best they can with the evidence they have. Obviously they can't know, but how does it look if someone moves immediately after graduation to a state with markedly lower stats which they have zero ties to? Why take the risk if it's a reasonable concern? Again, their mission is to create physicians that will serve their respective communities. They are under no obligation to give Ca escapees the benefit of the doubt. And as I said before, people pull it off every year -- but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that most of the ones who do either:
1) Spend a significant amount of time demonstrating a serious commitment to serving the state
2) Have ties of some sort to the region
3) Are otherwise seen as attractive applicants to the school for whatever reason (veterans and so on)

Last edited:
Texas. It's not even close. Cheap IS rate and low matriculant stats.

I'm sure the schools that are vigilant about this sort of thing do the best they can with the evidence they have. Obviously they can't know, but how does it look if someone moves immediately after graduation to a state with markedly lower stats which they have zero ties to? Why take the risk if it's a reasonable concern? Again, their mission is to create physicians that will serve their respective communities. They are under no obligation to give Ca escapees the benefit of the doubt. And as I said before, people pull it off every year -- but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that most of the ones who do either:
1) Spend a significant amount of time demonstrating a serious commitment to serving the state
2) Have ties of some sort to the region
3) Are otherwise seen as attractive applicants to the school for whatever reason (veterans and so on)

Yeah. I mean, if you have ties that's one thing. I'd think it'd probably be pretty obvious that someone moved for admissions purposes unless they have a good reason during an interview.

Texas. It's not even close. Cheap IS rate and low matriculant stats.
The median MCAT for TX residents is 31.2. The mean for all matriculants is only 0.2 higher.
The average gpa in TX is a whopping 3.73. That is higher than the national matriculant mean.

Only 215 Texans left the state last year. The reasons for this are many, but one downside to applying OOS from TX is that the rest of the country knows how unlikely it is that you will leave without a cash inducement.
Tuition is cheap, though...

The TX situation is the flip side of CA where the large majority have to leave (making them juicy fodder for OOS schools).

Last edited by a moderator:
The median MCAT for TX residents is 31.2. The mean for all matriculants is only 0.2 higher.
The average gpa in TX is a whopping 3.73. That is higher than the national matriculant mean.

Only 215 Texans left the state last year. The reasons for this are many, but one downside to applying OOS from TX is that the rest of the country knows how unlikely it is that you will leave without a cash inducement.

The TX situation is the flip side of CA where the large majority have to leave (making them juicy fodder for OOS schools).

Even though the numbers are comparable to the nation, the applicant pool itself is considerably smaller. The average age of a TX matriculant is 2 years younger than the national average. I think this speaks to some of the reduced competition outside of academic qualification TX applicants enjoy as a result of the smaller overall pool.

Even though the numbers are comparable to the nation, the applicant pool itself is considerably smaller. The average age of a TX matriculant is 2 years younger than the national average. I think this speaks to some of the reduced competition outside of academic qualification TX applicants enjoy as a result of the smaller overall pool.
I do think TX is an excellent applicant state. The stats are not low, though.
Stats are low in Puerto Rico, for example (24.1 MCAT), where they also have a very low rate of OOS matriculation.

I do think TX is an excellent applicant state. The stats are not low, though.
Stats are low in Puerto Rico, for example (24.1 MCAT), where they also have a very low rate of OOS matriculation.

How is the tuition in PR, is it low? There are probably secondary reasons PR is more insular, in that since PR's healthcare needs are different than the US, certain language restrictions, etc. people from PR are probably more motivated independently to stay in PR. I say this because PR-American being URM in the US, many schools on the mainland are probably very willing to take good PR applicants, but I'm just speculating

How is the tuition in PR, is it low? There are probably secondary reasons PR is more insular, in that since PR's healthcare needs are different than the US, certain language restrictions, etc. people from PR are probably more motivated independently to stay in PR. I say this because PR-American being URM in the US, many schools on the mainland are probably very willing to take good PR applicants, but I'm just speculating
There are many similarities between the two, but TX has made itself insular by having its own separate admissions system, grade evaluation system and residency mandates.

Tuition at UPR is only $9,350. That accounts for 107 seats.
The other schools top out at $38,930 for UCC.

Do schools see my California status and see $$$ and someone that's actually likely to matriculate? That makes sense...

Do schools see my California status and see $$$ and someone that's actually likely to matriculate? That makes sense...
You bet. State of residence is an important element in the determination of interview offers.