Best of the New (med schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chessodoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, 3 new medical school are enrolling their charter class this year (Yes I know there is a 4th in Texas, but I didn't apply there so I don't care, lol :)). What are the pros and cons of these schools? To begin, I have listed some facts:

The Commonwealth Medical College (PA):
- Strong in-state bias
- tuition 40k (35k instate) - 20k/year scholarship for all
- Located in Scranton (cheap...also nowhere)
- Rotations possible in 3 hospitals (located in Wilkas-Barre, Williamsport, Scranton, if you choose one, you gotta stay there for 2 years)

Florida International University (FL)
- Strong in-state bias
- tuition 80k! (40k instate)
- Miami - expensive
- Rotations - multiple hospital in/around Miami

University of Central Florida (FL)
- Strong in-state bias
- Tuition - NONE!
- Orlando - ORLANDO!
- Rotations - Don't know since have not been interviewed here yet :laugh:

Thoughts? Muses?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
cant wait for UC Riverside to open theirs. whens it due?

hope all the UCs get med skools eventually.

cant wait for UC Riverside to open theirs. whens it due?

hope all the UCs get med skools eventually.
Pulling a number off the top of my head, they're targeting 2014.

I think Merced is next in line for a med school.

Oh I thought it was 2012...must've been moved back since Cali is BROKE!

Also, I don't see the Banana Slugs getting a med school...ever (UC Santa Cruz for you non-Cali people)

- Located in Scranton (cheap...also nowhere)

I stopped there for lunch once on a drive between NYC and Dagobah. Much more boring IRL than it seems on The Office.

University of Central Florida (FL)
- Strong in-state bias
- Tuition - NONE!
- Orlando - ORLANDO!
- Rotations - Don't know since have not been interviewed here yet :laugh:
I'm sold.

Also, I don't see the Banana Slugs getting a med school...ever (UC Santa Cruz for you non-Cali people)[/quote]

how bout the gauchos. i couldnt picture medical students making it in isla vista :laugh:

TCMC really is going to take off in the coming years I feel. I actually caught one of their commercials on TV today. I have faith in them.

I believe in Harvey Dent too. jk

It will be curious to see if any more up and coming schools will be announced/opening in the future as well.

Lol! Ouch ^

Btw, why is it called "Commonwealth?"

How is it possible to have no tuition?!?!?!? :confused::confused::eek:

Members don't see this ad :)

From their site: http://medschool.ucr.edu/faqs.html#open

"When is the medical school anticipated to open and what will be the enrollment?
Current plans call for the medical school to accept its first four-year class of 50 medical students in fall of 2012. At full build-out, plans call for total enrollment of 400 medical students, or 100 per class."

Yay this they'll open just in the for my application cycle :D

Last edited:
Oh I thought it was 2012...must've been moved back since Cali is BROKE!

Also, I don't see the Banana Slugs getting a med school...ever (UC Santa Cruz for you non-Cali people)

From UC site:http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/17838

"Based on more than three years of planning led by UC Merced's Dean of Natural Sciences Maria Pallavicini, in September 2006, UC Merced submitted to the UC Office of the President a preliminary program proposal to establish a School of Medicine. The proposed school will help meet health care workforce demands by training physicians through expanded professional training in medical education and research. Current plans call for the enrollment of the first class of 32 students in 2013 though factors such as approval process, funding and hiring of leadership will affect the time line."

They won't be open in time for me :(

From UC site:http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/17838

"Based on more than three years of planning led by UC Merced's Dean of Natural Sciences Maria Pallavicini, in September 2006, UC Merced submitted to the UC Office of the President a preliminary program proposal to establish a School of Medicine. The proposed school will help meet health care workforce demands by training physicians through expanded professional training in medical education and research. Current plans call for the enrollment of the first class of 32 students in 2013 though factors such as approval process, funding and hiring of leadership will affect the time line."

They won't be open in time for me :(
Damnit, I was wrong on both. Thanks for taking the initiative to find out and to post it here!

I believe in Harvey Dent too. jk

It will be curious to see if any more up and coming schools will be announced/opening in the future as well.

I believe that Hofstra University is opening an allo school for enrollment either in this cycle or the next.

http://media.www.hofstrachronicle.c....New.School.Of.Medicine.For.L.i-3041981.shtml

I also think that Virginia Tech and the Carilion Clinic in Roanoke VA are opening a new allo school.

http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/story.php?relyear=2007&itemno=5

Eh, I find it interesting that VT argues that it's starting a school to bring more physicians into areas where there is a shortage etc but it's going to be a program similar to the CCLCM one. I hardly think having a class of ~40 physician scientists is going to fix the physician shortage in Virginia. It might, however, put VTech more firmly on the national research map.

I had no idea that ORLANDO!! is more attractive than Miami. Are you guys serious?

Miami is a very cosmopolitan and international city with great beaches, night life and plenty of beautiful people. Always sunny and always warm. Orlando is in the middle of nowhere Florida, colder and rainier than Miami, with big amusement parks and always overrun by overwhelmingly obese tourists.

Maybe I was smoking something but I also heard the Salk Institute in La Jolla may be opening a medical school in like 2012...but I don't remember where I heard that.

If that did happen, that would be a pretty good research school I think.

Eh, I find it interesting that VT argues that it's starting a school to bring more physicians into areas where there is a shortage etc but it's going to be a program similar to the CCLCM one. I hardly think having a class of ~40 physician scientists is going to fix the physician shortage in Virginia. It might, however, put VTech more firmly on the national research map.
VCOM is putting out the clinicians while VT can put out the scientists. Match made in heaven.

that list does not even show FIU Medical School which starts this year!

FIU is the first florida school listed. It is already part of the bigger official medical school list.

yeah anyone who claims wikipedia is not cool just needs to go back to sleep.