Best "Philosophy" for Extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best Philosophy?

• Zero to Mother Teresa

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Special Snowflake

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Soonay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is hard to phrase, but I'll try my best.

Which kind of extracurriculars is looked upon most favorably by med school admission officers: the "Zero to Mother Teresa" type (applicant has HIGH intensity and commitment of ONLY typical pre-med activities such as shadowing, research, volunteering) or the "look unique" one (applicant has HIGH intensity and commitment of a non-medical related EC such as sports/club, and moderate commitment towards typical premed activities)?

Please no answers of "just follow your passions." I understand this is a philosophy that works for many students, but I'm simply interested in which group of ECs med-school admission officers would be more likely to pick. I'd highly appreciate any advice from anyone with actual experience in med-school admissions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Id say just follow your passions.

The special snowflake types look more impressive on paper, but there has to be substance and clinical relevance in there.

Last edited:
Probably a mix of both. No medical school is looking to fill their class with only "Mother Teresa" types or "special snowflake" types. Every admissions committee strives to fill their class with a diverse variety of interesting people. They also accept people who appear to have "typical" applications. It's a total crapshoot. Your approach to thinking about this topic is off-base. Also, "follow your passions" is a bit trite, but the underlying message rings true. If you do your ECs because you think it's what looks good, it's painfully obvious when you talk about it and will not inspire anyone to give you a leg up over the hundreds of very qualified applicants.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You can plan all day dude, but summer is ticking by, and you and me both know that the answer to this is to pick up the phone and call a doctor, employer, volunteering service, researcher, teacher, coach, etc. and asking if you can be involved.

Reactions: 2 users
do things you give a **** about. Excuse my french

Reactions: 1 user
You can plan all day dude, but summer is ticking by, and you and me both know that the answer to this is to pick up the phone and call a doctor, employer, volunteering service, researcher, teacher, coach, etc. and asking if you can be involved.

Behind on your ECs? Are they lackluster? Good. Pick up the phone, and start dialing.

Is your PI ready to replace you for fresh blood? Good. Pick up the phone, and start dialing.

IAs, Ws, and Cs on your transcript? Good. Pick up the phone, and start dialing.

Last edited:

I like this answer. Getting involved is as simple as this. On the AMCAS you have 15 activities. I would start planning it out early. why not? right? pursue things that interest you. also remember there are salient characteristics that most med schools are looking for and you should also consider portraying those aspects as well. I'm not saying be a cookie cutter; i'm saying take the cookie cutter and make it yours; build from there. hope that makes sense. pm me if you have further q's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You really do need the complete package in most cases but the most impressive ECs that get you into top schools seem to usually have little or no clinical relevance. Nobody really wants the kid who does nothing but pre-med activities anyways.

You need to be both simultaneously, not a little of each.

Honestly, I think the "special snowflake" app is going to take you further as long as you can muster a halfway-competent performance with the typical pre-med activities. Everyone has shadowing, hospital volunteering, etc. You don't need to be "the best" at these things, you just need to demonstrate commitment (commensurate with what is typical for matriculants) and write competently about your experiences. The uniqueness of your app is what's going to push you over the edge when everything else meets the standards the adcoms are looking for.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!

Haha, I'm actually a rising senior in HS and I don't think ECs done b/w HS and college count yet? This summer I'm planning to work in a cancer tx office and in a tutoring job. I didn't mention my age before because I didn't want to be underestimated/thought of as overly anal. I just like to stay informed.

As for "follow your passions," I honestly believe I would be equally passionate in either scenario. I enjoy both clinical exp and sports, so IMO it's just a question of which I should devote more of my time to.

Behind on your ECs? Are they lackluster? Good. Pick up the phone, and start dialing.

Is your PI ready to replace you for fresh blood? Good. Pick up the phone, and start dialing.

IAs, Ws, and Cs on your transcript? Good. Pick up the phone, and start dialing.
Your GPA is weak? You're weak!