best post bac for low sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mco000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After spending days googling and searching Ive decided to try luck and ask for some advice. I don't want to be just another poster asking for a hand out, I have fond a great deal of info in old threads but those may be out of date now. I would really appreciate any help.

I have s2.52 and c3.05 with a few retakes. Not very much ec's other than shadowing and volunteering. Now I know thats not competitive enough to apply to schools but I do have a decent upward trend through the later years so I was thinking about trying my luck this cycle at some low tier schools. However, I know that Its very likely that Ill be doing a post -bac/smp.

If I more than likely go the post-bac/smp route I would really like to enroll at school that has linkage to their own DO school. I dont know if im over reaching though, Some post options seem slightly out of reach. I have been trying to compile a list of schools accept low a sGPA and would like some input from those more experienced. What DO schools might I have chance at or what post bacc program are more reputable and might take my credentials.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely recommend applying to KCUMB Master's in biomedical sciences program. I know from experience that it is rigorous and will definitely prepare you for the difficult sciences that await you in medical school. That being said, it is very expensive and they do have a GPA cutoff of 3.0 for acceptance into the program which I think is cumulative but I'm not sure what they would think about your science GPA. However I think it is definitely worth it to at least apply because if you were to apply to their DO program after you complete their Master's they essentially "disregard" your undergraduate grades (at least that is what admissions told our class) and focus on how you did in their courses. Also applying as early as possible is always best! For instance if you are hoping to matriculate in the Fall of '17 you should be applying NOW.

Rocky Vista University-CO also has a Master's program that you could look into as they too have a DO program but I do know that it is fairly new. Midwestern in AZ has one as well but their program is nearly 40,000 just for tuition so I suppose if money isn't a problem for you then that is also an option.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely recommend applying to KCUMB Master's in biomedical sciences program. I know from experience that it is rigorous and will definitely prepare you for the difficult sciences that await you in medical school. That being said, it is very expensive and they do have a GPA cutoff of 3.0 for acceptance into the program which I think is cumulative but I'm not sure what they would think about your science GPA. However I think it is definitely worth it to at least apply because if you were to apply to their DO program after you complete their Master's they essentially "disregard" your undergraduate grades (at least that is what admissions told our class) and focus on how you did in their courses. Also applying as early as possible is always best! For instance if you are hoping to matriculate in the Fall of '17 you should be applying NOW.

Rocky Vista University-CO also has a Master's program that you could look into as they too have a DO program but I do know that it is fairly new. Midwestern in AZ has one as well but their program is nearly 40,000 just for tuition so I suppose if money isn't a problem for you then that is also an option.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your input Corgilover419. I know Im planing on getting all my apps in soon, KCUMB has req of c3.0 and s3.0.
AZ doesnt have their sgpa listed. Only a c2.75. I will call tomorrow and report back.
Rocky Vista University-CO req is c2.75 and s2.75 .
Im taking my mcat in March. Hopefully Ill be able to make up for my GPA.