Best retail jobs

Started by july
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tell me about the good, the bad, and the ugly.
It all depends on what you like. I personally hate slow, grocery store pharmacies. I did a 2nd year practicum class at Publix. This store did less than 100 per day. Each pharmacist had a 12 hour shift. There was no internet to play on. My preceptor used to bang his head on the counter out of boredom.

I've worked at a Wags that did over 600 per day. It was chaos all day long, but everything still got done. The Wags I'm at right now does about 250 per day. That seems to be a nice number. It's fast enough to not get bored, but not insane either.
 
It all depends on what you like. I personally hate slow, grocery store pharmacies. I did a 2nd year practicum class at Publix. This store did less than 100 per day. Each pharmacist had a 12 hour shift. There was no internet to play on. My preceptor used to bang his head on the counter out of boredom.

I've worked at a Wags that did over 600 per day. It was chaos all day long, but everything still got done. The Wags I'm at right now does about 250 per day. That seems to be a nice number. It's fast enough to not get bored, but not insane either.

i agree: slow grocery store= recipe for insanity
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked at several different retail stores during my last year of rotations. I really enjoyed seeing the different aspects of retail pharmacy. After graduation I signed on with a grocery store pharmacy because of the tuition assistance program they offered. I have ended up liking it very much. It has more of a "community pharmacy" feel to it but without as much "kiss their butts" mentality. We aren't super busy script count wise, but there are some days I dont get to eat until closing. And I dont think once since I've been there the techs have clocked out for a break. I think alot of one-pharmacist stores are like that though. But I did enjoy the time I spent at Walgreens too. Even though it was very hectic at times at least it made the day go by quickly!
 
That's like asking which chicken deep fried in lard is the healthiest.
 
it is hard to use the term 'best' and 'retail' in the same phrase.

some grocery stores maybe slow, but you'll be bored and go home smelling like chicken.

Walmart is a zoo. enough said.

I've heard Target's computer system is from the stone ages.

Eckerd will be Rite Aid soon.....and with that comes a cumbesome, labor intensive dispensing system. I'll leave it at that.

Not sure about Wag or CVS. They say Wag's computer is pretty good.

It is hard to find a good balance. Basically, you need a decent location (not too high class, yet not too much welfare) that does some business. If the store is slow, you risk being bored or being just busy enough to fall between the budget cracks. Getting along with the boss helps, too.

And finally, no matter where you work the store manager will be a butt-hole. Just ignore them. I guess 30K a year makes 'em bitter.
 
Shell out for a wireless card from verizon for about 60 bux per month and you could have internet wherever you go, literally wherever you go, including your grocery store's rest room😀
 
Retail is retail is retail.....The bells and whistles may change but its the same crap wherever you go. Same crappy customers same insurance stuff....ect..ect...ect....

What makes the difference is the people you work with, techs, store manager, district manager. This is more a matter of getting lucky rather than what chain you work for.

My advice, pick a chain work for awhile if you don't like it pick another. Keep going untill you find a place you like to work. Oh yeah, NEVER EVER TAKE A BONUS!!!!!!
 
Retail is retail is retail.....The bells and whistles may change but its the same crap wherever you go. Same crappy customers same insurance stuff....ect..ect...ect....

What makes the difference is the people you work with, techs, store manager, district manager. This is more a matter of getting lucky rather than what chain you work for.

My advice, pick a chain work for awhile if you don't like it pick another. Keep going untill you find a place you like to work. Oh yeah, NEVER EVER TAKE A BONUS!!!!!!

then once that's played out...get a hospital job.
 
then once that's played out...get a hospital job.

Nah - I'd advise do the hospital job before the retail. How many retail rph's have you hired Zpack??

You need to be on your toes academically, clinically, PRACTICALLY and be willing to do more shift work & holiday work than retail....

Once you've done your stint as a hospital - retail is easy!!!!
 
Once you've done your stint as a hospital - retail is easy!!!!

Are you saying retail is easier than hospital? If so, why does it pay (in my area) $5+ more per hr?

we work holidays, 12 hr days (including weekends), and get beat up physically and mentally.

not defending retail here....I think it blows. I always thought I'd play the game for a while then shift into an 'easier' job elsewhere.

thoughts please?
 
Nah - I'd advise do the hospital job before the retail. How many retail rph's have you hired Zpack??

You need to be on your toes academically, clinically, PRACTICALLY and be willing to do more shift work & holiday work than retail....

Once you've done your stint as a hospital - retail is easy!!!!

Hospital is for all the cupcake pharmacists who don't want to work. How many women do you have working for you Z-pack? There is a reason........
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
NEVER EVER TAKE A BONUS!!!!!!


Why?[/QUOTE]

Once you cash that bonus check they have you by the short hairs. Most chains want you to sign a three year commitment. Three years is a long time if you hate who you are working for. Trust me from experience, if you quit before your commitment is up you will have to pay every cent of the bonus back plus interest.

Oh yeah, remember all the promises the district manager made when he hired you? Throw 'em all out the window once you cash the check. He knows you won't quit because you took a big bonus with a long commitment.

Think real hard about it before you do it.
 
It all depends on what you like. I personally hate slow, grocery store pharmacies. I did a 2nd year practicum class at Publix. This store did less than 100 per day. Each pharmacist had a 12 hour shift. There was no internet to play on. My preceptor used to bang his head on the counter out of boredom.

I've worked at a Wags that did over 600 per day. It was chaos all day long, but everything still got done. The Wags I'm at right now does about 250 per day. That seems to be a nice number. It's fast enough to not get bored, but not insane either.
I just did 250 today at Publix...it all depends on what store you're at
 
Hospital is for all the cupcake pharmacists who don't want to work. .......

If by "work" you mean verifying humdreds of scripts, non stop phone calls, little to no time for a break, dealing with nasty/ignorant customers, answering the same questions about cold medicine 8 times a day, dealing with managers who have nothing to do with the pharmacy, dealing with insurance companies, chance of being robbed, playing phone tag with doctors/nurses....

then I'm proud to be a cupcake.
 
Walgreens wants a 3-year commitment with a signing bonus. They won't negotiate it. A new hire told me that they asked for no bonus and a shorter commitment and was told no. CVS also has a similar set up.

In this area, hospitals want one year of experience. One year of retail experience is fine, you haven't lost it all in just one year. Maybe the retail places have lost pharmacists after the first year to hospitals.

Many of my classmates have taken the bonuses and already have signed on. We don't graduate until May. I don't want to commit to a multi-year contract, so I'll just see what I can find.

I've enjoyed both retail and hospital. Retail has patient contact and you get gratification from helping people directly. Hospital staff pharmacy is mainly data entry - read the physicians order from the scan and type it into the computer. I've been at 5 different hospitals and it's been like this at every one of them. You get to take a break to do renal dosing, check INRs and perform IV to PO changes. Then it's back to data entry.
 
If by "work" you mean verifying humdreds of scripts, non stop phone calls, little to no time for a break, dealing with nasty/ignorant customers, answering the same questions about cold medicine 8 times a day, dealing with managers who have nothing to do with the pharmacy, dealing with insurance companies, chance of being robbed, playing phone tag with doctors/nurses....

then I'm proud to be a cupcake.

Hey cupcake...how's Xopenex?
 
That's like asking which chicken deep fried in lard is the healthiest.

Deep fried chicken is delicious. Although I agree with your point, the location of the double bonds in oils does matter, especially these days it seems.