Best shoes/shoe inserts for standing all day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there used to be a thread about this, but I can't find it. Anyway, I've been working lately and my feet are so uncomfortable towards the end of the shift and when I get home. I went to the foot products aisle of our store and there are so many to choose from. What do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

crossurfingers said:
I know there used to be a thread about this, but I can't find it. Anyway, I've been working lately and my feet are so uncomfortable towards the end of the shift and when I get home. I went to the foot products aisle of our store and there are so many to choose from. What do you recommend?

crossfingers, I am having the same exact problem! I don't know how everyone else does it, but my feet are killing me (even after a long weekend). I hear about the clogs that are about 100 bucks, but I dont know the brands. What are good suggestions people?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pricey but trust me - its worth it in the long run. I had fascitis so bad I could barely walk at day's end.

Good Feet

These plus a pair of ecco shoes are the best combo I think you can get.

bbmuffin said:
merrills and clarks
Good shoes whether clarks, ecco, merrills,rockport or many others are important, but more so is to have several pairs to rotate the shoes daily rather than wearing the shoes continously. All shoes have built in elastomer substance of some type and when they get compressed from standing/walking all day, they need time to recover and so the heavier you are, the longer in between wearing of shoes should be allowed. When I was in retail running a 24 hr store (900/day average) I would often rotate a pair of shoes during the day just for comfort .
I think often times we tend to wear a pair much longer than the cushioning life but we don't think about that part since they still look good outside.

Reactions: 1 user
It takes a little bit of time to get adjusted and feet/legs swell in the meantime. When I'm starting f/t again after school, I usually take naproxen before work for the first week or so. Also, I have found that if you rotate shoes your feet are not as prone to swell.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have problems with your hips, knees, or ankles...I've heard Z-coils are great. They're ridiculously expensive about $100-150 for a pair and have a gigantic spring at the heel, but the people I know that wear them said it feels like heaven. :)

I went to a uniform store which has nursing shoes. I tried on several brands, including Quarks, but decided on Cherokee Rockers. Nurse shoes are designed for standing on your feet all day. Running shoes are for running, walking shoes are for walking. I own both Merrell's and Rockport's but neither are as good as the nurse shoes.

I read this thread and thought I must be a freak. I work a couple of 12 hour shifts per week (standing for ~11.5 hours) and my feet are never feeling that bad. And I don’t have super expensive shoes. I wear some no name brand shoes from Pay Less some days and like $50 sketchers other days. I wish I could be of more help. Maybe your pharmacies need to invest in some nice cushion-y flooring like my pharmacy? :confused:

ForgetMeNot said:
I read this thread and thought I must be a freak. I work a couple of 12 hour shifts per week (standing for ~11.5 hours) and my feet are never feeling that bad. And I don’t have super expensive shoes. I wear some no name brand shoes from Pay Less some days and like $50 sketchers other days. I wish I could be of more help. Maybe your pharmacies need to invest in some nice cushion-y flooring like my pharmacy? :confused:

Do you have flat or arched feet? Are you extremely thin and short? It may play a role.

Many pharmacist friends of mine swear by compression stockings or support socks...with 12 hours of standing, fluid will begin to pool in your lower legs and feet, resulting in aches and fatigue. One of the pharmacists said he tried many different types of cushiony and supportive shoes, but the socks were the only things that worked for him. Also, varicose veins sorta go with this profession, and this would help reduce the likelyhood of developing them (for awhile, at least ;) ).

LVPharm said:
Many pharmacist friends of mine swear by compression stockings or support socks...with 12 hours of standing, fluid will begin to pool in your lower legs and feet, resulting in aches and fatigue. One of the pharmacists said he tried many different types of chusiony and supportive shoes, but the socks were the only things that worked for him. Also, varicose veins sorta go with this profession, and this would help reduce the likelyhood of developing them (for awhile, at least ;) ).
I noticed that you said nothing of yourself. That VA job you got must be cushy sitting on your butt on the taxpayers dollar! RAWR!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Caverject said:
I noticed that you said nothing of yourself. That VA job you got must be cushy sitting on your butt on the taxpayers dollar! RAWR!!!

I've been in outpatient the last two weeks. That demands that I sit tight in a brand new Herman Miller Aeron chair for over 8 hours, either in my cubicle or down in the office having patients pull a number to see me. They have to hear my schpiel and I have to look at their orders before I release it to the techs to be filled. I do that over and over again for the entire day...on my butt. On a comfortable mega expensive office chair. My comfy *ss says "thank you, America's taxpayers!"

LVPharm said:
I've been in outpatient the last two weeks. That demands that I sit tight in a brand new Herman Miller Aeron chair for over 8 hours, either in my cubicle or down in the office having patients pull a number to see me. They have to hear my schpiel and I have to look at their orders before I release it to the techs to be filled. I do that over and over again for the entire day...on my butt. On a comfortable mega expensive office chair. My comfy *ss says "thank you, America's taxpayers!"
damn LV, you got it made! Where do I sign up?

Caverject said:
damn LV, you got it made! Where do I sign up?

...at the VA, outpatient pharmacy.

I'm off to ambulatory care, so no more cushy office. I still have the same kind of chair up in my cubicle, but I hardly get to use it...too busy.

LVPharm said:
...Also, varicose veins sorta go with this profession, and this would help reduce the likelyhood of developing them (for awhile, at least ;) ).

:eek: Someone should post this in the Pre Pharmacy section

I've known many female pharmacists who wore support hose. It supposedly helps, but I'd think the hose would be so uncomfortable it wouldn't be worth the benefit.

I've heard many people recommend dansko brand shoes. Also, alot of people I see at the hospitals wear these strange looking "plastic-type" clogs. They come in tons of different colors, and I've heard people talking about how comfortable they are, but I can't remember the brand name. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

pharmagirl said:
Also, alot of people I see at the hospitals wear these strange looking "plastic-type" clogs. They come in tons of different colors, and I've heard people talking about how comfortable they are, but I can't remember the brand name. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think you are talking about Crocks or something to the effect. My wife is a nurse and she wears those, says they are the most comfortable shoes she has found for walking around all day. I am off to try to find some next week. My problem is I can 't find any that are very dressy at all.

Jeddevil said:
I think you are talking about Crocks or something to the effect. My wife is a nurse and she wears those, says they are the most comfortable shoes she has found for walking around all day. I am off to try to find some next week. My problem is I can 't find any that are very dressy at all.
they don't come in very dressy and i have tried them and cannot imagine why people like or wear them

manolo blahniks :D

Try Hush Puppies
The best shoes ever.... ;)
www.hushpuppies.com

And if you are around the Las Vegas area, you can get those for at least 25% cheaper than the price listed on their website. Just go to Las Vegas Outlet on Las Vegas Blvd ... They have many good deals... :D

No shoes seem to be comfortable for 12-14 hour days, but my Dansko clogs are definitely one of the best pairs I've owned so far. Pricey though! I like the idea of rotating shoes, I'll have to try that.

I've also heard both male and female pharmacists swear by TED hose.

The Dansko clogs I have - both pairs, have not worn too well on the outside. Maybe a week after I got them, they started showing obvious tattering. The black ones are scuffed white on the toes, and the brown ones are missing the outer layer of leather along the 1/4 inch border thingy. They are comfortable enough, but I would consider them utility, not dressy, at this point.

bananaface said:
The Dansko clogs I have - both pairs, have not worn too well on the outside. Maybe a week after I got them, they started showing obvious tattering. The black ones are scuffed white on the toes, and the brown ones are missing the outer layer of leather along the 1/4 inch border thingy. They are comfortable enough, but I would consider them utility, not dressy, at this point.

I just got mine a few weeks ago and I will be really pissed if that happens for the amount of money I spent on them :mad:

i tried dansko as well..... mine have not gone ugly yet as i used them in a rotation of shoes but they so far have not been my favorite.

You know. I wear Uggs. They are super comfortable and u can stand all day in them.. THey're a little priceythough. But its comnfortable and looks good and the same time. However, there are other brads out there. u can just buy those style and wear them.

2 12 hour shifts a week will not do much to affect your feet. I work 4 to 6 10 or 12 hour shifts a week in the hospital and am on my feet all but about 30 minutes of each. It is a very busy ER. My feet are burning and in pain nearly all the time. I am looking for some good advice on shoes. Walk the walk before you talk the talk

Danskos are ugly, but they're comfortable! Also Earth, Keen,and Merrill shoes are pretty comfy. Pretty much anything you can find at those "euro comfort" stores in malls. The uglier they are, the more comfortable. ;)

I used to wear old Asics runners all day; everyone in our pharmacy ran long distance so it was totally cool! I hate having to wear black dress shoes; the arch support is horrible!

I used to wear old Asics runners all day; everyone in our pharmacy ran long distance so it was totally cool! I hate having to wear black dress shoes; the arch support is horrible!

Asics GT 2120 They work for my 12 hour shifts. Yeah not as dressy but who's looking at your feet anyway

I wear Dansko clogs. I don't wear "official" support hose - but usually wear knee socks. I find they make my feet feel better at the end of the day.

I wear flats WITH gel inserts.

We have carpeted floors and a mat that consumes almost the entire floor of our "hole-in-the-wall" pharmacy, so I don't have any problems- at least not anymore.

Ive tried all different types of nike running/walking/jumpung/dunking shoes and I always end up with sore feet after a long day of standing.

So recently I broke out my old birkenstock slip ons and they have been so much more comfortable.

I've gone through new balance, merrills, hush puppies, gel inserts, tomorrow I'm trying a new pair of keanes. Still shoeless by 7 pm.

You could probably say I'm a Nike Shox girl...

dsc01168.jpg

Good Lord!!!!!

They all look pretty clean... my golf shoes need cleaning..can you come clean it for me?

Pair for each set of matching set of scrubs. Orange for my Gator scrubs, etc. Newest addition is the red pair in the middle. They match the USC gel scrubs I got...sans the Trojans logo of course! :smuggrin:

Clean your golf shoes??? I thought you were one of those guys that bought a pair at the clubhouse everytime you went out...

I am speechless... The organization is remarkable though
LOL! ROFL! :laugh:

Do you like how the spikes rest on the cross bars? :p

I don't care very much about shoes (except for the one pair of designer shoes that I will have one day!). I don't know... no one that I know even looks at other peoples' shoes. I also live in the more "Bohemian" area of the city where hippies ride bikes everywhere, people of all colors have dread locks, everyone has a dog, and the alcohol doesn't stop flowing. Who knows???

I went to a party last night in old flip-flops, as did everyone else... and the host is a designer! :laugh:

Last edited:
Clean your golf shoes??? I thought you were one of those guys that bought a pair at the clubhouse everytime you went out...

That's how I ended up with 6 pairs of golf shoes.. I forget to take them to golf and I end up havig to buy new ones. Then again, it's hard to wear out 6 pairs... and I think the last time I bought golf shoes were like 4 years ago..

That's how I ended up with 6 pairs of golf shoes.. I forget to take them to golf and I end up havig to buy new ones. Then again, it's hard to wear out 6 pairs... and I think the last time I bought golf shoes were like 4 years ago..

Wow. Getting sharper and a little less forgetful in our old age are we?

Wow. Getting sharper and a little less forgetful in our old age are we?

No, I changed my routine. Instead of chaing shoes at the course..I just put on my golf shoes as I leave the house. Then I never have to worry forgetting them at home.

I left ties at home. doh! I need ties.

No, I changed my routine. Instead of chaing shoes at the course..I just put on my golf shoes as I leave the house. Then I never have to worry forgetting them at home.

I left ties at home. doh! I need ties.

So...question for you. When you're playing a potential customer, do you hold back on the course? Or totally crush them?

What's the protocol?

So...question for you. When you're playing a potential customer, do you hold back on the course? Or totally crush them?

What's the protocol?

I beat the crap out of all and keep pounding until they cry. But I'm always apologetic and say it was a lucky day.