Best Specialties for the Type-B Personality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that it is better to look at where you fit when you do rotations rather than break it down into 2 categories of type A vs type B. Personality is so much more broad than that. I get up in a tizzy about certain things, but I want a lifestyle where people LOVE what they do NOT just the hours. Hence I will be doing peds. I am sure others have found that in other specialties, too, but I saw it a lot in peds. Plus, I just gelled with the pedis!

I know a few mellow folks going into every field. But to get into the hardest ones, like MrHyde said in his first post (that I actually thought was decent, sadly the rest are somewhat scary) are the ones that jump through all the hoops.

Derm is gross to me (and I know I will see a lot of rashes in peds, so don't start), but to assume that everyone wants to do it is just silly. And dermocentric. (good word I just made up, huh?)

Members don't see this ad.

Bumpydy bump bump bump

MrHide said:
the whole point is that i DON'T care about the undying respect of my peers or, least of all, the approval of 3 pre-veterinarian chiropractors that are NOT my peers.

No? Then why do you care about replying to us, O great one? I mean, some friends of mine say they don't care if people know they are doctors or not, but as soon as they go out they talk really loudly about "man, it's great to be out of the hospital!" Sounds like you - actions speak louder than words, chump. If you don't care about our respect, then are you attempting to earn our DISrespect or something?

MrHide said:
yes, i'm hopelessly lazy, spent an entire week studying for boards, did a-ight, and now kicking back to reap the fruits of minimal effort. with my caddy. so?!

I agree with Masonator - nice try pumping yourself up. "Yeah, I scored so high on Step III that I actually had to shoot myself in the head and incur brain damage just so my awesome score could stay within the limits of scoring on the USMLE. Otherwise, the computers would have melted down." By the way, again proof that you define yourself by your USMLE scores. Do you have a timer on your watch that goes off every five minutes reminding you to exclaim, "I scored a 400 on the USMLEs", even while you're jacking off in an otherwise empty room?

Nope sorry MrHide I am not Masonator. I merely posted to let you know not everyone think highly of Derm as you. I am sure you had to along the way kissed lots of arssses to get what you want too so dont forget your own place in life. It is quite arrogant to walk around thinking you are all that. I am only keeping things real.

Masonator said:
Well you can see that derm being type B is a very debateable issue. You will have many colleagues like Mr. Hyde to deal with. All of my chill laid back friends in medical school who "kept it real" went into radiology, psych, neurology and anesthesia.
Any specialty with direct patient care and rounding is demanding and stressful. The specialties above are more of consultant specialties and are a step removed from patient care so you can set your own hours to some degree.

Um...I wasn't participating in direct patient care during my psych and neuro months? Then why was I evaluating patients with a 'mental status change' or rounding on the stroke floor? :confused:

If MrHide opens up his ClinicSpa on Park Ave and gets his miracle anti-wrinkle cream on the shelf of every Needless Markup in the States, more power to him. He busted his butt to get what he wanted... :thumbup:

PS There is no way I could do derm...the derm part of pathophys made me want to vomit. :laugh:

Finally M3 said:
Um...I wasn't participating in direct patient care during my psych and neuro months? Then why was I evaluating patients with a 'mental status change' or rounding on the stroke floor? :confused:

If MrHide opens up his ClinicSpa on Park Ave and gets his miracle anti-wrinkle cream on the shelf of every Needless Markup in the States, more power to him. He busted his butt to get what he wanted... :thumbup:

PS There is no way I could do derm...the derm part of pathophys made me want to vomit. :laugh:

Most psychiatrists don't do inpatient psychiatry, but if they do you are right.
Same thing with neuro, most consult on strokes unless there is a neuro floor or stroke unit. When I said direct patient care, I meant it as being the primary care provider vs. a consultant. You are right there are exceptions, i.e, pain for anesthesia, neuro wards, psych wards, etc. These are exceptions rather then rules so I left the out. My bad.

I'm glad your wishing Mr Hide well. I doubt he will develop a new anti-wrinkle cream. That would require more ambition and hardwork then he's willing to commit. Remember he needs to be on the golf course at 2pm. That could cut into his groundbreaking research time. Then again, he's so smart he doesn't need to do research. He can probably just invent groundbreaking products of the top of his head.

MrHide said:
okay, i'll say it - i like my golf game more than many of my idiot patients.

Wow! You sure are principled, saying that anonymously in a forum sight-unseen!! That really IS the same thing as saying that where people can actually see you (which I'm SURE you've done). Apparently, I was too busy "exchanging studio wallets of my cats" with a patient and must have missed you kicking your patients in the nuts so that you could examine their back for a mole. That's the point, *****: you talk a tough game in HERE but if I saw you in real life, you probably act like the biggest wuss ever. Yeah, I'm SURE you show ANY disdain towards patients in ANY way in your real life - you're exactly the person who is the biggest hypocrite. You floss people's asses to their faces and then, when they leave, you adopt your "tough guy" persona in the empty room and talk about "man, that idiot! I sure wish I was playing golf right about now!" I can't believe I have to spell things out for you, but thanks for proving my point about hypocrisy in medicine, KID (since you think using that word is a devastating insult).

MrHide said:
please quote anywhere in my unnecessary volumes i personally flossed my board score, or even claimed one higher than 260 at that.

So lemmee see ...you understand exaggeration as sarcasm enough to make up an imaginary dialogue between you and me, but not enough to make the same connection with my statements? Need I say more?

MrHide said:
kinetic: in my unsolicited opinion derm sucks. wet dry, dry wet. golly, i'm original.

You're right; it's not an original comment. In fact, EVERYONE has heard it before. Why? Um, maybe because it's true. And by the way, who specifically solicited YOUR opinion? I don't recall anyone running around saying "Ooo, ooo! I wish MrHide would pleeeeeze help me out because he's sooo much more intelligent than me; after all, he took the USMLE after studying for 2 seconds and STILL scored a 550!"

MrHide said:
kinetic: i love my patients. you love golf and porsches.

Actually, I don't - I had no emotional attachment to any of my patients. And everyone in my residency, including the attendings knew it. I want to apply my knowledge properly and rigorously in order to treat patients, but I'm far from being the person who calls into the hospital on vacation to check up on their patient's labs. If I go off service and some patient on the prior service decompensates, I'm not going up to the new team and asking for details. And if I know I have done everything "by the book" and not made any mistakes but the patient still does poorly, I don't lose any sleep at night. Am I a monster? Maybe. But I demanded the highest standards from myself and from others around me. Not because I cared about PATIENTS, per se, but because I care about MEDICINE AND MEDICAL CARE. If I made a mistake or didn't extend the proper care to a patient, nobody was harder on me than myself - I carried that mistake in my mind for months afterwards and made sure that mistake would never be repeated. Now, I had the balls to say this, but something tells me that YOU haven't done the same. Time for you to drop the tough-guy facade, poser.

I guess the words exchanged on this thread pretty much prove the point that dermatologists are type A personalities, whether they admit it or not! :laugh:

Anyway, let's make peace, my friends, and get back to the original topic. . .
About ophtho, yeah it's a competitive specialty, but I know a couple of guys who matched optho from my school this year are real type B's. There are some type A's though, as I found out during my ophtho rotation. It's a mix.

From what I've experienced so far this year as an MS-3, i'd have to say the type B personality predominant specialties have to be:

Anesthesia
Psych
Neuro
EM (but I agree with what someone said about some of them masquerading as type A)
possibly Peds (although I think it might be a mix just like IM)

VentdependenT said:
This blows away the trivial sqabbles which I've encountered on the heme onc life style thread. Strong work.

When are you going to Ibiza??

Vent! Dude....what happened to your karma meter? You mention Ibiza, and it goes from bright green to almost black!!!! :smuggrin:

VentdependenT said:
June 10th for 8 days....oooooooooohhhhhhh yeah. Taking it to new levels kids, to new levels.

Me and my buddy are graduating. We are going to be in Ibiza from the 7th to the 13th. Maybe we will see you there. My buddy is going into anesthesia too. Laters.

I'm at work right now so I can't do long replies. Boy I can't wait to tear into Mr. Hide some more!!

MrHide said:
[I guess it would sound less noble to say "I like my golf game more than my patients". If you WERE honest, I'd respect you and just shut the hell up." -- kinetic]

okay, i'll say it - i like my golf game more than many of my idiot patients. ****, i'll even say most of my patients. kid, if patients are coming to you for companionship, handholding, and exchanging poetry instead of efficient and directed diagnosis and treatment .... bully for you.

Your are such a ****ing idiot!! How far do you think you'll get in residency not giving a **** about your patients. You've strayed beyond dermatology, now you are in your own little narcissism zone. I think other derms would call you a sellout, phony bastard. Why not go into to business kid??? You can make much more money, play more golf, drive a nicer car. Everything that you dream of.

now before you proceed to "shut the hell up" but after you plan on how you will gosh-darn-it befriend each of tomorrow's clinic patients and exchange sears studio wallets of your idiot cats, please quote anywhere in my unnecessary volumes i personally flossed my board score, or even claimed one higher than 260 at that. hmmm, i can hear that internal voice of yours ..."it MUST be there! why am i so damn mad then?!" beats me, bro.
Your the one who blasted us for having low boards bro. We assumed you got a 260 because only an idiot would talk that much **** and not back it up. That is before we discovered you are actually an idiot. Why don't you tell us what your board score is dingus! Let's settle this right now, since you are the one who wanted to bring the boards into this.

as alluded to in my previous post, my laziness FAR exceeds any innate intelligence that would allow me to do just "a-ight" on the boards. please just read what is there. i'll help you by encapsulating our entire dialogue for you:

kinetic: i'm not studious or intelligent, but i'm better than you.
hide: agreed. you are not intelligent.
kinetic: there you go again bragging about your board score and masturbating to it!

I think the exact quote was "I could run laps around you intellectually". A-ight?

masonator: yo, and i had sex with your mom, playa hata! and i get women, really i do!
hide: ?

I am so glad to see my posts puzzle you my hata friend!!! What up with that bro? I've talked alot more **** about you then the "I had sex with your mom and I get women" line. Yet you always keep coming back to that. What's the matter Hide, don't you have any comebacks or rebuttals for anything else I've said. You keep regurgitating the same ****.

kinetic: in my unsolicited opinion derm sucks. wet dry, dry wet. golly, i'm original.
hide: thank you.
kinetic: i love my patients. you love golf and porsches.
hide: i was not aware that this was in doubt.
kinetic: there you go again bragging about your board score and masturbating to it!

You are definitely leaving some **** out.

again, i appreciate everyone's rant of why i should loathe derm and amazingly, i'm still forging ahead in all my overburgeoning hubris. derm's not for everybody. just like exam room handholding, golf, and porsches are not for everybody - i'm not gonna lose sleep over YOUR priorities in life. everyone feel better? this was all very amusing - but i think it's time to kill this thread.

Wow, thanks for tying it all together for us you pompous mother****er! I think Kinetic is right. It's obvious you've lied about your true feelings to every attending and resident you've met. There is no way you could pull the grades to get into derm if you didn't. Now you are expressing how you really feel, on an anonymous forum. I would pay to see you in front of your derm attendings. "Wow what an interesting patient, that poor woman. Having actinic keratosis is so hard. Do you want me to council her on sun protection sir?? Can I give you a blowjob when you finish dictating?? Thank you so much. Take care now!" Then once you finish you can go to the golf course and express your true feelings. Then you can blow off some steam about what a two faced, souless ass kisser you are. I hope the porsche is worth it.

By the way, you better hide your true feelings from every physician you meet personally and professionally. When word gets out you're a skiv, your referrals might dry up.

By the way, my idiot patients coud kick your cattie's ass any day of the week.

So where's that board score bitch??

Ok i guess I'm invisible. . .

no worries. . .i don't mind being ignored. . .it's all good. . .

hmmm, I for one vote that we close this thread.

Mas, I just sent you a PM.

MrHide said:
kinetic - best of luck getting back into a residency.

Even though I know you mean it as an insult, thanks. Heh heh. If you think I'm embarrassed about being canned, why would I post it? What, I should be ashamed of doing something ethical and *gasp* sticking to my principles? Hey, maybe I'll end up an unemployed bum, and you can do some skin biopsies on my butt in your free clinic ...oh, wait, you don't do freebies.

MrHide said:
257, as i said, just a-ight
non-AOA (translate - never had to kiss a damn thing)
worked the top med school name
killer rec from a derm attending who made phone calls and is well aware that i don't have to love my patients, just damn well take care of their medical needs in a busy clinic.
busted my ass to get 2 first authorships and another awaiting approval
result: sliding into a derm residency by the skin of my teeth.

am i unbearably pompous? f**k yeah!
am i compassionate? in reading these posts, i feel very sorry for masonator and kinetic.
am i more intellgent than you? your frenetic, disorganized, and misspelled replies speak greater volumes than board scores or i ever can.
do i need your referrals? i'll manage to scrape by without them thanks.
anything else chief? can we officially end this childish crap now or do you now want to inevitably call me a liar, that you want a photocopy of my board scores and transcripts, that it's easy to claim such and such in anonymity, blah, blah, blah. amusing as this may be, i don't want to see both your heads explode thinking of something ever-so-witty in response. (do i care about hypothetical fights between your patients and my non-existent cat?) masonator - enjoy ibiza with your "buddy". kinetic - best of luck getting back into a residency. chicamedica and the rest of the innocent by-standers - not to be ignored. gas passing, EM, and SSRI pez dispensing are the type b havens. peace.

Fair enough, you've had enough witty comebacks. I've matched like yourself. Enjoy residency. Good luck trying to pass off that "could give a **** Mr. Cool attitude" to everyone... who am I kidding. When the going gets tough, the tough(you) will start slurping ass. After all you are quite the pragmatist. You wouldn't want to be myopic. Nuff said about that.

Whheeeeeeewwweeeeyy :thumbup: ! There is nothing like a good playa hata flamewar to get you through the week!! I haven't been that deep in hatin' since my childhood Thanksgivings! I'd like to give a shoutout to the playas, the hatas, and the playa hatas! The hos, skanks, skallywags, strawberries, chicken heads, peeps, skeevs, strawmen, paper tigers, gees, hoodwinks, hoodlums, delinqs, pudwinks, and Mr Hide's mom.

I want to give a special shout out to my main man kinetic! Keep fighting the good fight my brotha!

I want to give a shout out to Vent Dependent! I'm sure I'll be dragging your ass out of the clubs in Ibiza!

One goes out to cancerdoc, keepin it real since 1999.

Lastly I want to give a shout out to the main event, Dr. Jeckyl and his partner in crime Mr. Hide!!! Thank you for playin' the role of the doctor that we all love to hate so mother ****in' much!!! You stuck to your narcissistic guns hata!! I'm sure we will all be seeing him on 60 minutes sometime in his career!! We can all say we knew him when he was just a little med student hata!!

Have a great time y'all!

come on now, continue this flame war!! I just started enjoying it. :smuggrin:
Masy, I like what I see. You are one vicious man....one fine jackass I must say. Keep it coming!

if that's the end, i'm gonna have to declare masonator the winner of this hatefest. it was close for a while, but in the end it became clear that mr. hide was just an anal-retentive type A who was fronting like he was type B

ForSkin said:
been watching from afar. kudos, i think hide represented us in derm quite well. mason was unbelievably weak in his hatin' and the material was 7th grade and second rate. kinetic was a worthless sideshow. no KO punch, but hide wins on points. you see, we derm people constantly take al load of **** from jealous non-dermies. dispensing with them is just a daily chore in our day. mrhide - gotta get that dirt off yo shoulderz. amazing you got in with such low board scores. :laugh:

Man, now that ForSkin has made his determination that I'm a worthless sideshow, that settles it! It's good that ForSkin is so highly regarded himself that he can swoop in and make these pronouncements. This post was very compact and eloquent, both because it contained so much evidence and proof. Good job! I'm glad we have such intelligent people in Dermatology! And, yes, you got me! I AM jealous of you guys! I wish I got free lotion samples, too!

You guys are all weak... the most laidback people are in Rads. Never forget the 4 Ds of rads...

Diagnose
Dictate
Deposit
Drink

Later chumps.... :laugh:

Good god I am so tired of all derm people telling us we are jealous of them.

How on earth would medicine survive without dermatologists, as they are the SUN, THE MOON, AND THE STARS, combined?

More dermocentric rhetoric...

ForSkin said:
been watching from afar. kudos, i think hide represented us in derm quite well. mason was unbelievably weak in his hatin' and the material was 7th grade and second rate. kinetic was a worthless sideshow. no KO punch, but hide wins on points. you see, we derm people constantly take al load of **** from jealous non-dermies. dispensing with them is just a daily chore in our day. mrhide - gotta get that dirt off yo shoulderz. amazing you got in with such low board scores. :laugh:

That's pretty scary that you think Hide represents derm well. Are all of you dinguses who care more about golf then your patients then?? None of the dermatologists I know are like either of you. How do you dispense with us jealous folks. Oh I see, by dispense you mean hiding out in your outpatient clinics and avoiding the rest of the hospital like a plague. You derm people sure talk a tough game, but none of you really back it up.

One more thing forskin. 7th grade and second rate huh? I always try to keep these flamewars light and funny so nobody takes them too seriously. After all why hate on other specialties right? There is no point. If you want the gloves to come off dingus, then they can come off.

RADRULES said:
You guys are all weak... the most laidback people are in Rads. Never forget the 4 Ds of rads...

Diagnose
Dictate
Deposit
Drink

Later chumps.... :laugh:

Dude, those are totally the 4 Ds of pathology too.... plus I didn't have to bust my balls being a superstar on boards either... :horns:

cookypuss3 said:
Dude, those are totally the 4 Ds of pathology too.... plus I didn't have to bust my balls being a superstar on boards either... :horns:

Yeah, but the Radiology people would argue that you're only depositing 5 cents. :D

kristing said:
Good god I am so tired of all derm people telling us we are jealous of them.

How on earth would medicine survive without dermatologists, as they are the SUN, THE MOON, AND THE STARS, combined?

More dermocentric rhetoric...

LOL I wouldnt worry too much, I think derms like MrHide get a kick out of bragging on anonymous messageboards because in real life 98% of people think of them as bottom-of-the-pile doctors who couldnt cut it in other fields. Probably isnt true, like a lot of things in medicine, but its what people think.

So dont feel bad when some derms have to brag, its probably because they are type-A's who busted their arse, only to realize they can't pick up chicks as easily as <insert most other specialties here> because the general public doesnt think too highly of them.

I know a few really cool derms as well, so dont let MrHide sour ya.

kinetic said:
Yeah, but the Radiology people would argue that you're only depositing 5 cents. :D

It's not as bad as one might think... besides, I'd rather cut crap up for $200+K than look at black and white pictures of shadows all day for $300K. Priorities.

all of you who are proud that you are type b and going into anesthesia beaware, your only going to be type b for one more year. believe me that first year of anesthesia is quickly going to change into a type a person. I'm willing to bet this is probably true of any acute care specialty in which you really can't consult. ie the buck stops with you.

Man, that was a good necro-read.

Supporting bump.

And where's Hide? All I see are his quotes.

MrHide has been MIA for years.
Seems the old thread his posts were on have vanished.

I'm a dermatology resident. I'll freely admit that I'm type A personality, but I desperately want to be type B. I think that's what a lot of my fellow residents are. In order to match into any competitive specialty, you have to work hard, be concerned about grades, and play the "game." The true type B people in my class went unmatched in radiology....LOL.

MrHide has been MIA for years.
Seems the old thread his posts were on have vanished.

Shame. His posts were amusing.

I can't even believe people still use the terms "type A and B" considering it's 1950s faux personality psychology developed by two statistically deficient cardiologist.

And anyone in medical school would have to be a type A, how else do you worry about grades and tests scores your entire life without being "...ambitious, aggressive, business-like, controlling, highly competitive, impatient, preoccupied with his or her status, time-conscious, and tightly-wound."

Being a physician on a cruise ship doesn't sound too bad for a couple of years. Handing out scopolamine, protonix, and possibly imitrex shots in between pina coladas and ports sounds type-b.
I assume the only specialties for this are FM, IM, and ER. But wouldnt it be hard to return to your practice if you were absent for several years and your skills atrophied? Don't you have to renew all kinds of certificates to perform certain procedures at the hospital? And cruise ship doctors barely break 6figures... ER doctor can make that just working 4shifts per month.

I assume the only specialties for this are FM, IM, and ER. But wouldnt it be hard to return to your practice if you were absent for several years and your skills atrophied? Don't you have to renew all kinds of certificates to perform certain procedures at the hospital? And cruise ship doctors barely break 6figures... ER doctor can make that just working 4shifts per month.

One of my good FM friends did the cruise ship doctor gig for 2-3 years. She said it was intense as there were only 2 doctors on board for the hundreds of silly little tourists. Think she was compensated well, especially since all the apartment, food, etc was included in the deal. Don't know if she had difficulty getting procedure certification upon her return. :rolleyes:

the neurologists i've seen are definitely some of the most laid back docs around, it's funny how similar personalities end up in similar fields

Wow, that was pretty massive necro.

Speaking of which, is there some kind of forum policy on members necroing super-old threads for no reason?

Do you get a warning for doing it excessively? Or is it not even an offense?

In other news, I really enjoyed kinetic's and Masonator's posts. It was a pretty classy flame-war, not like the kids today. :p

I wonder why 'kinetic' got banned.

Wow, that was pretty massive necro.

Speaking of which, is there some kind of forum policy on members necroing super-old threads for no reason?

Do you get a warning for doing it excessively? Or is it not even an offense?

I suppose it did appear as though I bumped the thread for no reason...:laugh:

:idea: I think I was just interested in what you thought, ModerateMouse.

Personally, it seems like the majority of people are Type A when they start medical school. Once enrolled, this 'gunner' characteristic has two choices: it can either get beaten down or it evolves into a healthy self-driven spirit.

Either way, I think everyone remains quite Type A. Just some people are sad about it and try to balance by integrating some Type B traits.

Regardless, each specialty probably attracts all kinds. Fellowships are probably more telling as to 'why one is driven'.... slight rant... sorry. :rolleyes:

C-man

I can't even believe people still use the terms "type A and B" considering it's 1950s faux personality psychology developed by two statistically deficient cardiologist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_and_Type_B_personality_theory

I had no idea!! :corny:

Does this mean daily horoscopes, tarot readings, Chinese astrology, Mayan astrology, and numerology may also lack an intellectual basis?

I think I might be personality Type AB... which is cool as it matches my blood type and the beginning of the alphabet song. :thumbup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_and_Type_B_personality_theory

I had no idea!! :corny:

Does this mean daily horoscopes, tarot readings, Chinese astrology, Mayan astrology, and numerology may also lack an intellectual basis?

I think I might be personality Type AB... which is cool as it matches my blood type and the beginning of the alphabet song. :thumbup:

No, astrology is totally legit.

I think I'll call myself Type Awesome.

They should leave these matters to psychology professors. It really is ridiculous if you think about it, even for the 1950s: "there are two kinds of people, one of which has a higher risk of coronary heart disease." Publish that shiit.

Last edited:
after reading about half of this thread something occurred to me: many people believe that type B personalities are not able to work hard/under pressure. that is just not true.

besides, most people are AB.

One of the attendings at the program where I matched is the medical director for Disney Cruise Lines. We offer a rotation doing a month of cruise medicine. I hear it's fairly intense -- 24 hours on, 24 hours off.
hey I am interested in an away elective !

After having spent 1 month working in pain medicine, those are some of the most painfully beta people I have ever come across. It's one thing to be intimidated by a surgeon. It's another to be intimidated by drug seeking dirtbags on a daily basis, handing out hundreds of pills of oxy's, xanax's, etc. to young people with no apparent deficits. Running a "pill mill" for $15 Medicaid office visits ain't even a matter of money, not for someone who makes his money doing procedures at least. These guys seemed genuinely afraid of the least bit of confrontation with their patients.

Bu bu bu bump

Here's a new twist to this old question.

I am a type B personality who failed one MS1/2 course. Been doing well afterward but I do have that huge mark against me. What specialties do you think would be good for type B personalities who have failed a course and let's say has a 230ish on the usmle (haven't taken it yet but I don't think that a 230 is out of the question given that I am doing better)?

Bu bu bu bump

Here's a new twist to this old question.

I am a type B personality who failed one MS1/2 course. Been doing well afterward but I do have that huge mark against me. What specialties do you think would be good for type B personalities who have failed a course and let's say has a 230ish on the usmle (haven't taken it yet but I don't think that a 230 is out of the question given that I am doing better)?

PM&R and to a lesser extent Anesthesia.

Reactions: 1 user