Best Stethoscope, 2013 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HalfListic

Reaction score
Yeah, there are countless discussion about it...but I'm curious about this years group.

Who has a stethoscope already? What did you get? Why?

Im sure 90% have/will get the Littman Cardio III (black on black, of course ;) ). To tell you the truth, thats probably what Ill end up with. Has peds and adult functionality and is reviewed very well.

Other contenders I'd like to hear about:

-Littman Master Cardiology. Its only $20-$30 more and most say it's at least a little better. Some say much better...and the way bariatric patients are on the rise, maybe we'll need the extra "power".

-Electronic Littmann (3000s series). At first I was all...waste o money. Then I hear, especially for those interested in EM, this things are unbeatable. They are significantly more expensive, but can cut through the even the most noisy ER scenes. Worth it?

-Any others? I know Welch Allyn is also a big name, and looks like it has a cool, interchangeable head/bell...but most reviews say its heavy.

This may be early for the post, but I wanted to just get mine and start playing with it...

Members don't see this ad.

Hot Pink cardio III

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Hot Pink cardio III

optional accessory, for your consideration

il_fullxfull.387112111_sv3a.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
be careful what you buy before looking into the school. I got a cardiology III as opposed to the master cardiology simply because all the professors at DMU had IIIs and they taught from it so i felt it was easier for me to learn and get graded on. we also aren't allowed to use electronic stethoscopes on standardized patients so if you were to get one of those it would be a waste of money for a few years and then you will have to buy another stethoscope. also i got a damn good deal on PD equipment through the school so don't get too crazy buying stuff because you may get good deals.

PS I plan to steal my stethescope off one of the wards.

Some schools provide stethoscopes. KCOM provided us all the diagnostic medical equipment as part of our tuition.

Cardiology III all black edition

Sent from my Galaxy S2 i think, but I don't really know. Im just a lowly premed.

Cardiology III all black edition

Sent from my Galaxy S2 i think, but I don't really know. Im just a lowly premed.

If this thing gets too popular at my school I'm not going to get it.

If it gets too popular I will just use whiteout and make it all white.:p

If it gets too popular I will just use whiteout and make it all white.:p

I'll sell mine to someone and buy a regular one lol

be careful what you buy before looking into the school. I got a cardiology III as opposed to the master cardiology simply because all the professors at DMU had IIIs and they taught from it so i felt it was easier for me to learn and get graded on. we also aren't allowed to use electronic stethoscopes on standardized patients so if you were to get one of those it would be a waste of money for a few years and then you will have to buy another stethoscope. also i got a damn good deal on PD equipment through the school so don't get too crazy buying stuff because you may get good deals.

Good to know...didnt think about not being allowed an electric, so maybe I'll hold off/ask.

I'll sell mine to someone and buy a regular one lol

by "regular" I hope you mean, gold edition

STH767K11.gif

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Good to know...didnt think about not being allowed an electric, so maybe I'll hold off/ask.

Also, at my SO's school there was a whole week of product reps visiting campus and selling a bunch of stuff for cheap. Idk if every school does it, but I'd guess that most do.

Wow that gold one is intense.

Yeah, there are countless discussion about it...but I'm curious about this years group.

Who has a stethoscope already? What did you get? Why?

Im sure 90% have/will get the Littman Cardio III (black on black, of course ;) ). To tell you the truth, thats probably what Ill end up with. Has peds and adult functionality and is reviewed very well.

Other contenders I'd like to hear about:

-Littman Master Cardiology. Its only $20-$30 more and most say it's at least a little better. Some say much better...and the way bariatric patients are on the rise, maybe we'll need the extra "power".

-Electronic Littmann (3000s series). At first I was all...waste o money. Then I hear, especially for those interested in EM, this things are unbeatable. They are significantly more expensive, but can cut through the even the most noisy ER scenes. Worth it?

-Any others? I know Welch Allyn is also a big name, and looks like it has a cool, interchangeable head/bell...but most reviews say its heavy.

This may be early for the post, but I wanted to just get mine and start playing with it...
I know that you know that Old Kenobi already has the cardio III black edition with his name engraved on it...you wouldn't want to cramp his style would you (if that's even possible) :cool:

Here is my take on it and why I chose the III over the master...simply put, the head of the III is more versatile. The master may provide SLIGHTLY (according to Littmann) better acoustics but I prefer to have a stethoscope that I can learn how to use the tunable diaphragm as well as the traditional bell. On the Cardio III, the pediatric diaphragm (which is also absent on the master) can be removed which converts it into a standard bell. You do not have this option with the Master; it is solely a tunable head.

Since we are merely students, the versatility and the ability to learn with the different styles of stethoscopes (all in one) appealed to me. Also, the cardiology III always ranks as one of the best out there anyhow! I'm sure an opportunity to try the master will arise at some point...If it is really great, I'll look into getting one then...but by that time I will have a working knowledge of how to use a tunable head and the traditional bell because of my Cardio III :naughty:

Halflistic, where have you decided to attend school?

Got it narrowed down to MUCOM or Nova. Taking the wifey out to MUCOMs second look here in a couple weeks and then deciding. :)

I know that you know that Old Kenobi already has the cardio III black edition with his name engraved on it...you wouldn't want to cramp his style would you (if that's even possible) :cool:

Here is my take on it and why I chose the III over the master...simply put, the head of the III is more versatile. The master may provide SLIGHTLY (according to Littmann) better acoustics but I prefer to have a stethoscope that I can learn how to use the tunable diaphragm as well as the traditional bell. On the Cardio III, the pediatric diaphragm (which is also absent on the master) can be removed which converts it into a standard bell. You do not have this option with the Master; it is solely a tunable head.

Since we are merely students, the versatility and the ability to learn with the different styles of stethoscopes (all in one) appealed to me. Also, the cardiology III always ranks as one of the best out there anyhow! I'm sure an opportunity to try the master will arise at some point...If it is really great, I'll look into getting one then...but by that time I will have a working knowledge of how to use a tunable head and the traditional bell because of my Cardio III :naughty:

Hate to say it, but theres a 90% chance that thats exactly what Ill get. But, to be fair, there's about a 90% chance that any given med student also has the III black edition...its a crowd pleaser for sure.

But, yeah, the III is more versatile, and most people/teachers have it like frky stated. But its going to be tough giving up a stethoscope called the Master:D

Last edited:
Honestly,
I'm using the throwaway yellow stethoscopes we get on our unit for patients on contact precautions. If I can learn on that I'll be $. Once I get to clinical years I'll buy something nice. Cost = 0.00

Honestly,
I'm using the throwaway yellow stethoscopes we get on our unit for patients on contact precautions. If I can learn on that I'll be $. Once I get to clinical years I'll buy something nice. Cost = 0.00

This is probably a great, prudent, decision. But, I like gadgets too much not to get my own ;)

This is probably a great, prudent, decision. But, I like gadgets too much not to get my own ;)

:thumbup:

Also go to Nova. You seem like a level-headed feller that could benefit. And speaking of gadgets, each student will receive an iPad ;)

Also go to Nova. You seem like a level-headed feller that could benefit. And speaking of gadgets, each student will receive an iPad ;)

...so I hear. That is being factored into the equation

I already picked up the black edition cardio 3. My mom offered to buy it for me and I didnt pass it up. Have my name engraved as well.

Keeping my Classic S.E. II. It's been good to me and I'm not ready to part with it.

I already picked up the black edition cardio 3. My mom offered to buy it for me and I didnt pass it up. Have my name engraved as well.

Must be nice. :)

SDN peer pressure at its finest...persuasion with tablets, ha. At MU-COM each student will receive an audition for friendship with Kenobi. How many people can say they are friends with an actual Jedi... SOLD! :naughty:

SDN peer pressure at its finest...persuasion with tablets, ha. At MU-COM each student will receive an audition for friendship with Kenobi. How many people can say they are friends with an actual Jedi... SOLD! :naughty:

haha...also, taken into consideration. :thumbup:

Got it narrowed down to MUCOM or Nova. Taking the wifey out to MUCOMs second look here in a couple weeks and then deciding. :)

Good luck with the decision man! Let us know when u decide.

Good luck with the decision man! Let us know when u decide.

I might choose Nova just to see an iPad in your hands ;)

haha...JK, will do!

I already have the Littmann Lightweight II SE stethoscope. Haven't decided if it's worth it to upgrade to the Cardio III or not. I know I'll want to eventually, but right now..? Not sure. Anyone know how decent the Lightweight II SE is compared to the Cardio III? Input?

I might choose Nova just to see an iPad in your hands ;)

haha...JK, will do!

Lol. U got me there.

iPad has better medical app selection so I think it will work out for the better in the end. Will hang on to my android phone most likely.

I hear you get better grades in anatomy with a cardio III.

I hear you get better grades in anatomy with a cardio III.

seems legit.

I'd imagine it would have to be a really good scope to work in the cadaver lab. Im guessing the heart and breath sounds get pretty faint at that point in the life cycle.

seems legit.

I'd imagine it would have to be a really good scope to work in the cadaver lab. Im guessing the heart and breath sounds get pretty faint at that point in the life cycle.

The only reason why you hear heart and breath sounds on a cadaver with a Cardio III is because the III gives cadavers life when you touch it with it.

Because with 45k tuition you get a $300 item. What a deal... :smuggrin: :(

seems legit.

:laugh::laugh:

Cardio III is what I'd recommend. If for no other reason, it's got a swivel head with tuneable diaphragms on either side, that means you've got a bell/diaphragm in both pediatric and adult chest piece sizes. It's like having 2 scopes in one.

The Master Cardiology scope might have slightly better acoustics, but you lose the pediatric chestpiece. That alone makes the Cardio III the clear winner for a med-student if you ask me.

When you become a Cardiologist and only see adult patients then maybe the master cardiology scope makes more sense, but you'll want that smaller chestpiece for your Peds rotations.

Because with 45k tuition you get a $300 item. What a deal... :smuggrin: :(

I bet they are gonna raise the tuition like 2k to give us a tablet. Lol

I bet they are gonna raise the tuition like 2k to give us a tablet. Lol

Lol. I don't want to go through depression by the thought of all the loans again. I guess it's inevitable :bang:

Cardio III is what I'd recommend. If for no other reason, it's got a swivel head with tuneable diaphragms on either side, that means you've got a bell/diaphragm in both pediatric and adult chest piece sizes. It's like having 2 scopes in one.

The Master Cardiology scope might have slightly better acoustics, but you lose the pediatric chestpiece. That alone makes the Cardio III the clear winner for a med-student if you ask me.

When you become a Cardiologist and only see adult patients then maybe the master cardiology scope makes more sense, but you'll want that smaller chestpiece for your Peds rotations.

yeah, this seems like the smart choice. The master does have a ped's attachment, though the obvious response to that is, 'who wants to keep track of something extra when it could be built in'.

Theres something about having something different than most people that draws me to the master sometimes though...

yeah, this seems like the smart choice. The master does have a ped's attachment, though the obvious response to that is, 'who wants to keep track of something extra when it could be built in'.

Theres something about having something different than most people that draws me to the master sometimes though...

I wasn't aware the Master had a pediatric attachment. Then it's probably sixes given the price difference etc.

And I definitely understand wanting something unique.

Last edited:

The Gunner's Oath. ;)

I'm sure there will be many other gunners that had to have the master wherever you end up...point being, I can see it turning out to not be as unique as you might think.

I have the Tycos DLX. I haven't compared it to too many others, but I prefer it over the diaphragm-only ones. I like having the bell handy if I need it.

Here's what it looks like:
1_wa-5079-dh325_375.jpg

Through Nova, I had the option of the 3M Cardio III (good), the Tycos Elite (better), or the Tycos DLX (best). It's not like I was splurging on the "best" option, either. The difference between the "good" and the "best" was only $11.

I have the Tycos DLX. I haven't compared it to too many others, but I prefer it over the diaphragm-only ones. I like having the bell handy if I need it.

Here's what it looks like:
1_wa-5079-dh325_375.jpg

Through Nova, I had the option of the 3M Cardio III (good), the Tycos Elite (better), or the Tycos DLX (best). It's not like I was splurging on the "best" option, either. The difference between the "good" and the "best" was only $11.

How much discount does Nova give? Trying to decide if I should get one soon or wait...

Ya. That's what I was saying about the Cardio III can be diaphragm only (tunable) or standard bell ...best of both worlds.