Best Stethoscope, 2013 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Slow%20motion%20gun%20firing.gif

Sometimes you have to have the best.

Do pray tell Mr. Kenobi what exactly you will be listening to with your Cardiology grade stethoscope that you wouldn't be able to hear with a "lesser," cheaper, more practical stethoscope as a medical student? I'm all for quality and invest in good products when necessary. A $175 stethoscope is not necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Do pray tell Mr. Kenobi what exactly you will be listening to with your Cardiology grade stethoscope that you wouldn't be able to hear with a "lesser," cheaper, more practical stethoscope as a medical student? I'm all for quality and invest in good products when necessary. A $175 stethoscope is not necessary.

Arrhythmias duh

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

What is it they say? ...buy right, buy once?

To each his/her own though, right?

Sarcasm bro. Hence the gif reference to gunners.

Edit:

Cool down.;)

Last edited:

I mean, it's not my money so if someone decides to buy one then no skin off my back. But it's still not practical to spend 10x the amount on a cardio stethoscope when it's not needed. Holla back when you reach that cardiology fellowship. Would be a pain in the ass to lose it. Just sayin'.

Sarcasm bro. Hence the gif reference to gunners.

Oh. When I saw the gif, I was like, why the fuq is Mr Kenobi shooting me? :(

I thought it's measure twice, cut once :confused:

wait, wait, wait...

is we trippin over $15 here?

The Cardio iii black edition runs about $15 less than the Master.

This isnt about money, or performance...its about style. :cool:

Yup, cardio 3 is way cooler looking.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile[/QUOTE

Yeah, but you also think plastic phones feels nicer than aluminum, so...

;) haha, JK, to each their own. I like the look of the Master. But, sounds like I may be forced into a iii regardless. I can only hold on to hope at this point...

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, it's not my money so if someone decides to buy one then no skin off my back. But it's still not practical to spend 10x the amount on a cardio stethoscope when it's not needed. Holla back when you reach that cardiology fellowship. Would be a pain in the ass to lose it. Just sayin'.

I think you're just being sarcastic now, but you do realize that there are fields other than Cardiology where physicians spend a significant amount of their time listening to heart and lung sounds, right?

In fact, statistically speaking, most DO students end up in those fields ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile[/QUOTE

Yeah, but you also think plastic phones feels nicer than aluminum, so...

;) haha, JK, to each their own. I like the look of the Master. But, sounds like I may be forced into a iii regardless. I can only hold on to hope at this point...

You put your phone in a case anyway ;)

Aluminum is plastic for hipsters.

Why would you be forced into the cardio?

I think you're just being sarcastic now, but you do realize that there are fields other than Cardiology where physicians spend a significant amount of their time listening to heart and lung sounds, right?

I'm just saying that there are other, more practical stethoscopes than shelling out $175 for one as a medical student... and I highly doubt most primary care physicians *need* a master cardio or cardio III stethoscope. I'll be sure to let you guys know that I was wrong when I reach the point where my education is hampered by my lack of owning a cardio stethoscope.

I'm just saying that there are other, more practical stethoscopes than shelling out $175 for one as a medical student... and I highly doubt most primary care physicians *need* a master cardio or cardio III stethoscope.

Do you have an iPad or Macbook?

iPad, but it's my wife's. And I use it every time I go to class (which is never). Come @ me bro!

iPad, but it's my wife's. And I use it every time I go to class (which is never). Come @ me bro!

Yup. That's what I thought :p

You guys can buy whatever you want. I just don't want people to think that they NEED to buy one of these fancy stethoscopes or else they are missing out.

Just admit that you're only doing it for the style (like Half did) and it's all good. ;)

Yup. That's what I thought :p

Besides, what's wrong with an iPad anyway? ****'s amazing for medical school. It's an iPad 1, so don't hate. All my lectures/notes/pdf textbooks and it's light. You know you want one.

You guys can buy whatever you want. I just don't want people to think that they NEED to buy one of these fancy stethoscopes or else they are missing out.

Just admit that you're only doing it for the style (like Half did) and it's all good. ;)

I'm definitely getting a cardio iii because it will make me look important

I'm definitely getting a cardio iii because it will make me look important

You won't be fooling anyone. You'll stick out like a sore thumb in your short white coat. :smuggrin:

You won't be fooling anyone. You'll stick out like a sore thumb in your short white coat. :smuggrin:

Only medical people know the difference. Lay persons don't :D

Besides, what's wrong with an iPad anyway? ****'s amazing for medical school. It's an iPad 1, so don't hate. All my lectures/notes/pdf textbooks and it's light. You know you want one.

It's unnecessary just like cardio 3 and master are. I don't have a problem with it. I was just pointing it out :)

It's unnecessary just like cardio 3 and master are. I don't have a problem with it. I was just pointing it out :)

What would you use then? Pencil & Paper?

I would dare say that an iPad has enabled me to be a better student. I wouldn't say the same for an expensive stethoscope.. and we didn't buy the iPad for medical school. We already had it! so you can't count that :p

What would you use then? Pencil & Paper?

I would dare say that an iPad has enabled me to be a better student. I wouldn't say the same for an expensive stethoscope.. and we didn't buy the iPad for medical school. We already had it! so you can't count that :p

There are cheaper tablets that can do everything your iPad can. Or at least everything you use your iPad for. Which, if I'm not mistaken is your argument for a cheaper stethoscope?

If I can't count it because you bought it before med school then you can't justify it by saying it made you a better student :D

There are cheaper tablets that can do everything your iPad can. Or at least everything you use your iPad for. Which, if I'm not mistaken is your argument for a cheaper stethoscope?

If I can't count it because you bought it before med school then you can't justify it by saying it made you a better student :D

ok u got me :oops:

You put your phone in a case anyway ;)

Aluminum is plastic for hipsters.

Im actually one of those folks who dont use a case. dont need it, feels much better without it, and dont want to bulk it up. Also, catlike reflexes keep me from dropping things...*drops phone*. (ok Ive dropped it, but it can take a few falls contrary to internet shenanigans)

I know this wasn't directed to me but, Ill say yes. Though its a mini and an air respectively. Also got the new, thin iMac with a fusion drive, which is awesome, and have the iPhone5.

This may help answer why I want a cool stethoscope...I like cool technology. (and I am bad with spending? ;) )

Just admit that you're only doing it for the style (like Half did) and it's all good. ;)[/QUOT

:thumbup::cool::thumbup:

+1

This was a good argument for the argument you were in. Well played. And, Imma let you finish...but the iPad is the best tablet ever. Ever.

kanye-west-taylor-swift-vma.jpg

Im actually one of those folks who dont use a case. dont need it, feels much better without it, and dont want to bulk it up. Also, catlike reflexes keep me from dropping things...*drops phone*. (ok Ive dropped it, but it can take a few falls contrary to internet shenanigans)

I know this wasn't directed to me but, Ill say yes. Though its a mini and an air respectively. Also got the new, thin iMac with a fusion drive, which is awesome, and have the iPhone5.

This may help answer why I want a cool stethoscope...I like cool technology. (and I am bad with spending? ;) )

Just admit that you're only doing it for the style (like Half did) and it's all good. ;)[/QUOT

:thumbup::cool::thumbup:

+1

This was a good argument for the argument you were in. Well played. And, Imma let you finish...but the iPad is the best tablet ever. Ever.

kanye-west-taylor-swift-vma.jpg

I have a thin silicone case for my GS3. I've been meaning to get one of those clear wraps for it but just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not the type to drop my phone, but I don't want to worry about it getting scratched when I put it down on things.

I'll fix the broken quotes later.

I have a thin silicone case for my GS3. I've been meaning to get one of those clear wraps for it but just haven't gotten around to it. I'm not the type to drop my phone, but I don't want to worry about it getting scratched when I put it down on things.

I'll fix the broken quotes later. (<--lol)

I do like the invisible shielding stuff to,o actually. I have two strips of it on the backside of my phone (on the two glass parts) for exactly the same reason you said: not worrying about putting it down.

It is true that many specialties make good use of the stethoscope, as it is true that there a good few that don't beyond basic needs (path, rads, surgical specialties). From a purely practical standpoint, nobody is that good at making out the meaning of heart sounds (unless you are a prior PA or NP that listened to hearts a lot) for the first two years of medical school. I've always advocated a good two-lumen stethoscope (they tend to give a better fidelity than single lumen), but there are inexpensive options that are nearly as good-sound quality wise-as the more expensive Cardiology III. The biggest issues-again, from a practical standpoint-are 1) the 0.5% better fidelity that the Cardio II offers will not make you more able to appreciate and understand heart sounds early in your training (really throughtout medical school) and 2) A lot of people lose or have their stethoscope stolen during their clinical rotations. Losing a $15 stethoscope that provides nearly the same sound fidelity stings a lot less than losing the $130+ steth.

As for fashion-do what you like. But, Perry wasn't any less badass:cool:
250px-Cox-season9.jpg

It is true that many specialties make good use of the stethoscope, as it is true that there a good few that don't beyond basic needs (path, rads, surgical specialties). From a purely practical standpoint, nobody is that good at making out the meaning of heart sounds (unless you are a prior PA or NP that listened to hearts a lot) for the first two years of medical school. I've always advocated a good two-lumen stethoscope (they tend to give a better fidelity than single lumen), but there are inexpensive options that are nearly as good-sound quality wise-as the more expensive Cardiology III. The biggest issues-again, from a practical standpoint-are 1) the 0.5% better fidelity that the Cardio II offers will not make you more able to appreciate and understand heart sounds early in your training (really throughtout medical school) and 2) A lot of people lose or have their stethoscope stolen during their clinical rotations. Losing a $15 stethoscope that provides nearly the same sound fidelity stings a lot less than losing the $130+ steth.

250px-Cox-season9.jpg

...well, yeah, if you want to be all logical and mature about it ;)

But, I do buy off brand cereal and soda. So, maybe my Marshmallow Mateys and Dr Thunder will offset this indulgence. :p

What kind of reflex hammer are you nerds going to get? I want this one.
31vG8wm2DBL._SY450_.jpg

What kind of reflex hammer are you nerds going to get? I want this one.
31vG8wm2DBL._SY450_.jpg

All black everything.

31B5D18DMNL._SX300_.jpg

31Iinbk8MaL._SX300_.jpg

300.JPG

Tuning-fork.png

Sent from my Galaxy S2, I think. But I don't really know, I'm just a lowly premed.

Last edited:
All black everything.

31B5D18DMNL._SX300_.jpg

31Iinbk8MaL._SX300_.jpg

300.JPG

Tuning-fork.png

Sent from my Galaxy S2, I think. But I don't really know, I'm just a lowly premed.

Nice. I don't think you have to buy the otoscope though. It'll probably be in every clinic room

aww yeah...I like that style of hammers. I read that they telescope for storage (and Im sure you can extend it for some extra swing velocity, as needed :D )

I like the all black idea too. so I found this:

(but what is the spike used for?? Patient cooperation?)

435211705_849.jpg

aww yeah...I like that style of hammers. I read that they telescope for storage (and Im sure you can extend it for some extra swing velocity, as needed :D )

435211705_849.jpg

Looks like it may be used to test for pain (spinothalamic tract)

Nice. I don't think you have to buy the otoscope though. It'll probably be in every clinic room

I'll see as I get closer if I need to buy one. I'll just get a cheaper one if i have to since i will rarely use it.

I'll also try and see if I can get a used one for free/cheap.

435211705_849.jpg

The spike is for testing the corneal reflex!

Not serious; it's actually when eliciting a Babinski reflex

250px-Cox-season9.jpg
Very well put!

Buy the cheapest equipment you can find for the first few years. If you can get your training done with those, you'll be ready for anything that your clinical rotation sites have you use. If you're not paying for it, get whatever you want, check out MDF stuff if you're not going for name alone. I find it funny when I see kids come through with a more expensive stethoscope than mine that barely know what they're listening to. If I see one with a triple-head, I'm going to expect fellowship-level auscultation skills out of him.

I've rarely seen a student/resident walk around carrying a PanOptic, and there is usually one on the wall or with the unit clerk, so save your money there too.

Looks like it may be used to test for pain (spinothalamic tract)

The spike is for testing the corneal reflex!

Not serious; it's actually when eliciting a Babinski reflex

It's for the babinski reflex.

:thumbup:

After looking...I sort of think that NeuroLAX may have it. Babinski just needs a stroke upward with the handle, and a spike may actually hurt if used for that?? (though my fav was corneal reflex, lol SLC)

Last edited:
There are many different tuning forks frequencies and reflex hammers. Do we really need all of them or do you just choose one? (serious question)

:thumbup:

After looking...I sort of think that NeuroLAX may have it. Babinski just needs a stroke upward with the handle, and a spike may actually hurt if used for that?? (though my fav was corneal reflex, lol SLC)

Idk. My SO has one and she says it's for Babinski. I guess she could be wrong too though.