Best SUNY school for interest in Ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noflag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there any SUNY school that sticks out for training/opportunities for students interest in Ophtho? Have been accepted to a few and was curious. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently doing ophtho research at downstate and it's been pretty great. Can't compare to any other SUNY however. Congrats on the acceptances!

Reactions: 1 user
There are many factors to consider when choosing a medical school, but training in specific specialties should not be an important one. There is like a 98.4838% chance that you will change your mind anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently doing ophtho research at downstate and it's been pretty great. Can't compare to any other SUNY however. Congrats on the acceptances!

Downstate is somewhere where I am definitely considering attending! Appreciate the wishes. Would you say that its fairly easy to get involved with the research opportunities / are there good networking opps with attendings through student groups to get started with building relationships and gaining experience in the field?

If you want to go into ophtho, I suggest that you attempt to attend a top school with a known program.

If you want to go into ophtho, I suggest that you attempt to attend a top school with a known program.
going to a top program would definitely be ideal. I'm just trying to make the best decision with what I have at the moment however, which are SUNY schools

Downstate is somewhere where I am definitely considering attending! Appreciate the wishes. Would you say that its fairly easy to get involved with the research opportunities / are there good networking opps with attendings through student groups to get started with building relationships and gaining experience in the field?
As far as I know I'm the only volunteer at the ophtho division, and we have 3 PIs if I recall correctly, so you should have no problem getting a spot. I can't comment on the other question unfortunately, as I'm not too sure

this advice is like those youtube videos about how to fix a loose cabinet. they go along the lines of, "dismount your cabinet door. mount the door in a jig. take a band saw and bevel the edge. sand and varnish the bevel."

it's technically true, but useless with context. if the OP had a choice to attend a top school he wouldn't be asking about the SUNYs.

thanks, premed.

Reactions: 1 users
is there any SUNY school that sticks out for training/opportunities for students interest in Ophtho? Have been accepted to a few and was curious. Thanks!

All SUNY schools are fine for optho. Optho isn't that hard to get anymore. Pay has gone down. Even NYCOM got someone into cornell optho.

dismissing a valid point for my status, you stupid fukn useless idiot

2 fukn years here and you don't fukn know **** you dumb kunt, fuk

giant-ass space-wasting posts, you fukn worthless sacks of garbage

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

There are many factors to consider when choosing a medical school, but training in specific specialties should not be an important one. There is like a 98.4838% chance that you will change your mind anyways.

Actually there are certain specialties where a large percentage of students were set on them from day 1. Ortho being on top of the list

All SUNY schools are fine for optho. Optho isn't that hard to get anymore. Pay has gone down. Even NYCOM got someone into cornell optho.

Do you have proof for any of these statements? Https://www.sfmatch.org/SpecialtyInsideAll.aspx?id=6&typ=2&name=Ophthalmology#. I wouldn't call 72% matching, 90% us grads, and an average 243 step 1 for matching "isn't hard to get anymore". I can't speak about pay but I doubt that you know how physician billing works. And a do getting into a competitive field doesn't mean that the field is less competitive; it is much more likely that the student was probably a superstar.

Ophthalmology has two h's.

Actually there are certain specialties where a large percentage of students were set on them from day 1. Ortho being on top of the list
You can never be sure until you actually rotate through a specialty in medical school. And even then people aren't sure. That is common advice that you will hear from nearly all medical advisors when you come into medical school claiming you are set on a path from day 1. While it's true that many come in with their eye on a certain speciality, it is foolish to have tunnel vision. How can a pre-med possibly know what they are going to like without actually functioning as a member of that team?

Do you have proof for any of these statements? Https://www.sfmatch.org/SpecialtyInsideAll.aspx?id=6&typ=2&name=Ophthalmology#. I wouldn't call 72% matching, 90% us grads, and an average 243 step 1 for matching "isn't hard to get anymore". I can't speak about pay but I doubt that you know how physician billing works. And a do getting into a competitive field doesn't mean that the field is less competitive; it is much more likely that the student was probably a superstar.

Ophthalmology has two h's.

I actually spoke with a professor at nycom that knew the guy. Complete superstar.

Pay was based off what physician family members have told me. Not that hard to get versus other surgical subspecalties is what I meant and obtainable for any US school.

A simple Google search reveals optho makes 266 k per year on average versus ortho 440k per year average (salary.com) so pay most certainly is down.