Best way to handle a ruinous lab partner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ended up with a bad lab partner in a 4-credit 400 level biochem class (through the tried and true method of pairing everyone with the person they sit next to on the first day!). We've had to redo every experiment so far because of mistakes she makes. I gave her the benefit of the doubt but I'm afraid it's going to affect my grade and the prof's/TA's impression of me. I've tried to step up my game as far as planning how lab needs to go ahead of time but ultimately, I can't control her. I try to make sure she's doing the right things by asking leading (but hopefully not nagging) questions. Not sure if this is the best course of action though. I've considered asking the professor if I can work alone but I know that would reflect poorly on my ability to work as part of a team. My only comfort is the professor claims to be more interested in our ability to analyze and present the data than obtain it. Does anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I ended up with a bad lab partner in a 4-credit 400 level biochem class (through the tried and true method of pairing everyone with the person they sit next to on the first day!). We've had to redo every experiment so far because of mistakes she makes. I gave her the benefit of the doubt but I'm afraid it's going to affect my grade and the prof's/TA's impression of me. I've tried to step up my game as far as planning how lab needs to go ahead of time but ultimately, I can't control her. I try to make sure she's doing the right things by asking leading (but hopefully not nagging) questions. Not sure if this is the best course of action though. I've considered asking the professor if I can work alone but I know that would reflect poorly on my ability to work as part of a team. My only comfort is the professor claims to be more interested in our ability to analyze and present the data than obtain it. Does anyone have any advice?
I would definitely try talking to your lab ta or professor on the situation asking if the poor results will hinder your grade in the class. If it does then I would voice your concern for your grade, it's not your job to babysit someone else, especially in a 400 level course. I would ask if there were any other groups you could join or just work by yourself. Hope this helps!

Hahaha dude/dudette chill TF out. Don't be a jerk to your lab partner. Be responsible for YOU. Your TA and professor have probably thought this situation through and they're TELLING you to chill.

I probably took at least 10 lab classes in an (Ivy League) undergrad and not a single grade depended on obtaining usable info. The grade depended on 2 things: a) attendance. B) ability to write a thoughtful, analytical lab report that identified errors made.

Getting good results will be important when you do real research. Until then, try to unclench a little? Your ability to get into a top 20 will not depend on your lab partner's bench Chem chops.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve had this happen in a group of three.

The two of us that were competent told the third to go sit in a corner and not touch anything while we completed the lab. (More accurately, we had him shake some stuff to seem like he was being useful)

+1 efficiency, +1 feel bad for incompetent kid, -1 bad grade

In our labs, there were a few designated labs that were group labs. The rest were individual even though we worked with partners. It may the same for you, since they usually do it that way to control for crappy partners. If it is that way, you'll just have to take the reigns on the group labs.

Try being in a 4y research grp with one particularly nasty individual... The whole research grp hated her b/c she wouldn't do any work and would always complain about going into lab. We're looking to publish soon and her name will be on the paper after having done nothing while the rest of us spent 8+ hrs in lab every week for the past 4 yrs. :bang:

And THEN she has the nerve to complain that you missed "x" while she turns up with a blank paper.

Is it possible to die from rage? If so, she better lower my casket so she can let me down one last time. :boom:

Your future interview question: give an example of a time you had trouble working with a groupmember.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm gonna suggest something crazy here... You could try talking to your lab partner?

"Hey, I've noticed that we seem to be struggling with these experiments. Can we sit down and figure out what's going wrong?"

It's less likely that she's trying to sabotage you and more likely that she just isn't good at biochem. For all you know, she's frustrated too and wants to improve.

Reactions: 1 users