Best way to provide immunizations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PromisedNeverland

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your tips and advice on how to provide hurtless immunizations ? (i.e. distracting patient by talking with them,certain way to pinch,etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Their arm should be relaxed, falling to the floor. 2) Let the alcohol dry to minimize stinging 3) Have them take a deep breath, exhale 4) I like to squeeze the deltoid and go in right after, the sensation from that, minimize the feel of the needle going in. 5) Push the syringe top gently in at first before going a bit faster

Reactions: 3 users
1) Their arm should be relaxed, falling to the floor. 2) Let the alcohol dry to minimize stinging 3) Have them take a deep breath, exhale 4) I like to squeeze the deltoid and go in right after, the sensation from that, minimize the feel of the needle going in. 5) Push the syringe top gently in at first before going a bit faster
+ try to engage them in a quick discussion as you are getting ready to insert the needle....like "just getting off work?" ... "how is the weather outside?" ... e.t.c. That is, if you aren't too shy. Seems to work for me at times; eases their anxiety level. Simpler questions for the kids obviously. Some places seem to offer candies.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+ try to engage them in a quick discussion as you are getting ready to insert the needle....like "just getting off work?" ... "how is the weather outside?" ... e.t.c. That is, if you aren't too shy. Seems to work for me at times; eases their anxiety level. Simpler questions for the kids obviously. Some places seem to offer candies.
This works really well. If they're looking away they often don't even notice the needle if they are mid sentence. I would always wait until they were talking to inject.

I never did kids because that wasn't allowed where I vaccinated, but that Buzzy tool seems like a good idea for kids to avoid the pain.

Reactions: 1 users
I once gave a shot to someone with a needle phobia and the needle wasn't securely fastened to the syringe, so the vaccine just oozed out and the syringe detached, leaving the needle stuck in their arm. They were not too pleased.

Reactions: 1 user
I've had a few people tell me my injections are painless. I usually insert the needle quickly and with a little force so it breaks the skin easily. I think much of the pain is the initial getting through the skin and the most painful shots I've ever gotten (and most I've seen people give) are ones where they slowly apply pressure until the skin gives way to the needle. I also try to remove the needle without changing the angle at all so it comes out straight. Talking to patients and acting experienced and casual also helps I think. It alleviates any tension they may have while also assuring that you know what you're doing.

I've done some with kids, I find being friendly with them and having them not view you as the "enemy" helps a lot. Telling them they are brave and that it will be over very quickly seems to help too, kids like positive reinforcement.

Reactions: 1 users
I am also I the camp that thinks giving the shoot quickly helps. I hate when I get a shot where the person goes slowly.

The best shot I ever got the person flicked me when giving the shot. I didn't even feel it! I was never bold enough to try it myself though lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I just stick the tip in and shoot the liquid in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Give the shot fast. Some people take their sweet time giving it. Have the person relax their arm and don't give it too high.