Best/Worst SF Bay Area MCAT test sites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Etoile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted in the MCAT discussion forum but didn't get much of a response so I'm gonna try here. I figure a lot of the people in that forum haven't taken the test so they won't be able to respond anyway. Sorry, mods, if this is improper etiquette!

Any recommendations for SF Bay Area test sites, both good and bad? Specifically I'm interested most in the SF and Alameda sites.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i went to the one at 100 california street in sep 2007 and it was terrible- old computers that could not adjust and had bad glare

The one in alameda near Cal is alright.

Isn't there a thread just for test sites in the MCAT forum?

Members don't see this ad :)
back in my day (the paper and pencil test), i took it at the san francisco hilton, in a huge ballroom filled with 1000 other anxious premeds. nothing was more intimidating than seeing a mass of students get up to void their score after every section. well that, and those students who really tried to utilize the kaplan "green dot."

Man... with the lack of helpful responses and the surplus of inquiries, there really should be a place like "interview feedback" for MCAT test sites! Anyone want to get this started? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if the San Jose Test center has the old monitors or LCD's?

i know that the 100 california st. one is easy access if u take bart. i think taking bart is best, dont have to worry about traffic, parking, etc.

I took the test in Alameda -- kind of different from other sites in that it is a rather small space and you can't go outside during the test for any reason, including bathrooms and stuff, unlike the other two testing centers i've used in san diego. Aside from that, they had just gotten lcd's in august which is a plus in my book. I hear 100 california street also got lcds.

I took the MCAT a couple weeks back at the 100 California St. building in SF. I'll break down my experience with pros and cons.

CONS:
-the monitor had the narrowest angle for viewing clearly. If you tilt your head up, half the screen was faded!! I don't know if they made it like that on purpose so you can't cheat, but that was really annoying.

-the monitor was super sensitive to movement. it ****ing turned off when I moved it a little bit. I almost had a heart attack.

-the sign in/out lady was a serious b!tch. she got very annoyed and kept sighing everytime I wanted to use the bathroom or wanted extra scratch paper.

-the mouse's scroll wheel doesn't work. weak.

-small ass lockers.

-no pens. i *hate* writing with pencils.

PROS:
- the 3M ear plugs they give you are awesome. I actually ordered some online several days ago.

-the headset they give you is great too. i have never taken any of my practice exams in such a quiet atmosphere.

-doors open at 7:30 and you can actually take your test as early as 7:45am if you're there early enough.

-the test. the format was exactly the same as the practice exam, except that it was missing the divider in the middle that separates the passage and the questions.

that's all that I can think of at the moment. hope that helped. I get my score in about 2 weeks, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have to take it again. Good luck with everything