This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ivan Caps

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know several of the residents at the Beth Israel family medicine program as well as their sibling program, the IFH-Harlem Family Medicine program (the latter program has their inpatient experience at Mt Sinai, while the former were previously at Beth-Israel).

There was recently a meeting between the residents and administration, and it sounds like the Mt Sinai administration is officially shutting down the FM program at BI and transferring those residents to the IFH-Harlem site. The residents were very concerned as this will negatively impact all inpatient experience, and will also strain an already overwhelmed residency administration at IFH. Also means that both programs are getting smaller and the BI residents may have to travel all over the city for their different inpatient/outpatient rotations.

In the long term Mt Sinai is going to phase out its GME funding for the BI residents, so all residents will be under the IFH-Harlem umbrella, which is a Teaching Health Center (THC). THC funding needs to be reapproved by congress this year or next, and it was barely extended two years ago. As part of the ACA there is a good chance the THC program will be modified or stopped completely, putting the funding for the IFH-Harlem residents to question as well.

My experience with the IFH-Harlem residents is that some are competent, many are not, most are very unhappy with their choice. I would think strongly about your motivations for ranking the program, and think about what would happen if the program were to close.

Members don't see this ad.

Huh there's a decent number of people from high powered schools. http://www.institute.org/training-c...sidencies/harlem-residency/faculty-residents/ It's sad how New York City really doesn't respect family medicine at all. Columbia just tried to shut down their fm residency too and barely changed their minds after a ton of backlash.

I heard about this also and it was very concerning because the Columbia program was/is, without a doubt, the strongest FM program in NYC and a program that had great outreach in Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Harlem.
Administrators think the expanding IM programs will eventually take over primary care in the tri-state area but they don't realize just how different IM and FM training is in NYC.

I'm so disappointed to hear about this, I was interested in applying to that program.
So can anyone recommend where to complete a good family medicine residency in New York City? Is it a worthy cause or should I stay here on the west coast? I would like to get a decent education and experience in family medicine.