Biden Out of Race

Started by DirtDocMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All right. It's not something I cane up with. A Google executive was quoted that as a consideration for going into space.


Of course! Hyping up their own product.

Look, I am not against the idea itself. It can probably solve a lot of our current engineering problems, and help move science forward.

Skepticism comes into play when you consider the enormous costs of successfully building these things in the space. It’s just not worth it from any angle.

It’s similar to living on Mars. We currently posses the pieces of required technology, and the idea of establishing a small colony is theoretically possible. But it would require pouring trillions of dollars into this mission. So, is it even worth it based on that alone?

That’s why no one seriously entertains the idea.
 
Access to gold is just as strong a motivation as oil. Trump doesn't do anything without the goal of enriching himself. Local people mining the gold pay gangs a portion of their profits for protection. Article gifted.

 
It’s similar to living on Mars. We currently posses the pieces of required technology, and the idea of establishing a small colony is theoretically possible. But it would require pouring trillions of dollars into this mission. So, is it even worth it based on that alone?

That’s why no one seriously entertains the idea.
There's plans to establish a permanent base on the moon. The problem with a Mars colony is that it will have to be supplied by Earth. It would take decades to become self-sustaining, if that's possible. I think having a colony on Mars might make sense one day, but not today. Let's have a few successful manned missions to Mars before we think about a colony.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a pretty YIMBY guy myself. So, concept of building data centers doesn’t bother me (even in my own community) as long as it’s built in a way that doesn’t impact local air and water quality (ie. data centers powered by nuclear reactor instead of gas, and the one using closed-loop water system).

I was listening to one podcast on this very topic featuring a journalist who has dedicated past several years studying this subject. She has interviewed the leaders of these very companies who are building these centers. And according to her, these people aren’t concerned one bit about running out places to build these things. They think that some communities across the entire country will agree for financial incentives. And as a last resort, they will just build it in another country that would accommodate them! Australia was mentioned among potential contenders (another vast country with abundant land).

So “where will these data centers go?” isn’t particularly their main concern.
I mean, what else do you think the majority cares about?

We've got one going up in my hometown. They have triples the size of their gas turbines from original projections. The head of operations for the gas company doesn't think they can provide that much.

Water usage is 3% of total capacity. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize we were put under drought restrictions this spring. Will the data center have to abide by that as well?
 
I am a pretty YIMBY guy myself. So, concept of building data centers doesn’t bother me (even in my own community) as long as it’s built in a way that doesn’t impact local air and water quality (ie. data centers powered by nuclear reactor instead of gas, and the one using closed-loop water system).

I was listening to one podcast on this very topic featuring a journalist who has dedicated past several years studying this subject. She has interviewed the leaders of these very companies who are building these centers. And according to her, these people aren’t concerned one bit about running out places to build these things. They think that some communities across the entire country will agree for financial incentives. And as a last resort, they will just build it in another country that would accommodate them! Australia was mentioned among potential contenders (another vast country with abundant land).

So “where will these data centers go?” isn’t particularly their main concern.


I’ll give you $1bil if they ever build a data center in Atherton or Portola Valley.
 
I mean, what else do you think the majority cares about?

We've got one going up in my hometown. They have triples the size of their gas turbines from original projections. The head of operations for the gas company doesn't think they can provide that much.

Water usage is 3% of total capacity. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize we were put under drought restrictions this spring. Will the data center have to abide by that as well?
It's my understanding that data centers return water to the groundwater supply but I don't see why they don't use a close loop system. Building them next to large rivers would allow them to take in water and return it down stream.
 
I’ll give you $1bil if they ever build a data center in Atherton or Portola Valley.
This from AI (the irony of asking AI this question doesn't escape the lol):

  • No Local Facilities: While Atherton sits in the heart of Silicon Valley in San Mateo County, local zoning, high land costs, and its exclusive residential nature mean heavy industrial infrastructure like large-scale server farms are not built inside town limits. [1, 2, 3, 4]
  • Regional Proximity: Nearby industrial hubs in the San Francisco Bay Area—such as San Jose, Fremont, and Milpitas—handle commercial tech infrastructure, industrial real estate, and component manufacturing supporting data center supply chains. [1]
 
Follow the Money. People with money do not like to risk their money and other than rare instances like Thernos, they will do their due diligence. They are not dumb or invest in impractical projects.

One Big pillars of Spacex valuation is space data centers, some estimates around 30+%. If data centers are impossible, then I guess some random anonymous internet posters know more than Musk(Who has done more for humanity than most on here have even dreamed) and people who are willing to risk billions of $$$.

If you really think space data centers are impossible, then you should short the stock and make Bank. Musk/Tesla broke many hedge funds betting against him.
 
Follow the Money. People with money do not like to risk their money and other than rare instances like Thernos, they will do their due diligence. They are not dumb or invest in impractical projects.

One Big pillars of Spacex valuation is space data centers, some estimates around 30+%. If data centers are impossible, then I guess some random anonymous internet posters know more than Musk(Who has done more for humanity than most on here have even dreamed) and people who are willing to risk billions of $$$.

If you really think space data centers are impossible, then you should short the stock and make Bank. Musk/Tesla broke many hedge funds betting against him.
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? No one has said data centers in space are "impossible," just perhaps not economically viable with current technology compared to earth data centers.
 
I can read, trust me. I just trust someone who is/will be on the mt rushmore of innovators than subforum warriors. If he thinks it is possible, if the hedge funds believe it is possible; I choose to believe they are more correct than a bunch of doctors who know little about this space.
 
I can read, trust me. I just trust someone who is/will be on the mt rushmore of innovators than subforum warriors. If he thinks it is possible, if the hedge funds believe it is possible; I choose to believe they are more correct than a bunch of doctors who know little about this space.
Like I said, it's possible. That doesn't mean economically viable.