Biden Out of Race

Started by DirtDocMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You state that you tire of hearing Elon Musk talk as if he knows everything about everything, as if he could never be wrong. Yet, you consistently state your beliefs as infallible when dealing with others on this forum. Even when faced with an obvious example that disproves what you had stated.
I have no idea if you are correct in your assessment or not, but you clearly have no doubt you are correct. Which is the thing you complained about in the post about Elon.
LOL

I have opinions and I make arguments here, with carefully presented evidence and reasoning. You don't have to agree with me. In fact I invite and enjoy argument and disagreement.

If you think this discussion forum has a different purpose.... OK.

A single experimental satellite that does "AI BUZZWORD" is hardly a sign that massive cosntellations of AI data centers are coming, and does nothing to refute the many compelling and obvious arguments against the idea - cost, power, cooling, latency, non-maintainability, radiation - absolutely none of which can ever be easier in orbit than on earth. Don't be so gullible, McFly. Musk and SpaceX are talking it up because they're selling shovels (launch) in a gold rush.

That it's obviously fools gold doesn't mean there isn't grift to be grifted.

Disagree? Fine. Present an argument.
 
LOL none of them want to emigrate to Mars!

Its cold and dangerous and boring and space is full of cancer rays and it's cramped and closed cycle life support smells like piss and BO and their yachts can't go with them.
Oh excuse me with the casual flex that you know what life support smells like 😉

Space yachts sound nice

 

Florida governor’s race shifts from ‘Leans Republican’ to ‘Toss Up’: Decision Desk HQ​



I knew it as someone who is from FL (no longer live there, but still spend a lot of time there). It's a perfect storm. ICE debacle in south FL couple with the disdain the African American community has for Byron Donalds and north FL republicans that I think will likely stay home creates a perfect storm.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

It takes a lot of talent to be this wrong. Trump's DHS initially claimed 15,000 voters in Nevada voted illegally. Then they went "no, no, no... those were just names we FLAGGED, the REAL number is 185".

All 185 names have been confirmed to be legal citizens in Nevada.
 
Last edited:
This is an interesting case where a local California Republican sheriff illegally confiscated over 60,000 ballots as part of an "investigation." Marc Elias was right that one of the biggest risks to the upcoming election comes from local officials. Their Supreme Court wasn't having it.
officials.


Link doesn't work for me.
 
Escaping first bad family into the arms of a 2nd bad family. Now trying to escape the 2nd bad family. Not the brightest bulb but hope she and her 6 kids can find some peace and stability.




Her breakout post was in support of Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court. “It’s so ironic now,” she said ruefully. “That was my introduction to actually having a voice, or influence.” She branded herself Bernadine Bluntly and opened an online storefront selling $25 shirts that read “R.I.P. Feminism.” Though she rarely shared details of her family online, “my lifestyle — of having had so many kids — was speaking for itself,” she said. As tradwife influencers were fruitful and multiplied, she created a digital course for young women, Simply Smitten, in which she dangled the keys to courting godly men. Her husband posted his own content, advising men on how to become a “strong patriarch” who can mold a “sweet tradwife who happily ‘fills your gut and empties your balls,’ as the saying goes.”

Soon, Bluntly’s influence became the family business, and her modest and inconsistent online income — it brought in an average of $2,500 a month, she said — was stretched to meet the family’s needs. “Everything was configured to make it justifiable,” she said. “I’m leading people, but I’m doing it under my husband’s approval and headship, so it’s OK. I’m making money, I’m the breadwinner, but that’s OK because he’s acting as my C.E.O. I work for the family.” Meanwhile, she said, “I wasconstantly getting pregnant again.”

She felt trapped, she said, in a psychological and spiritual cage. Traditional wives who try to leave “are not just feeling that they’re disappointing their husbands,” Bluntly said, adding: “It’s worse than that. They are directly disobeying God.” And the expectation to have as many children as possible keeps them physically in the home, and the movement. “If you get pregnant, you’re less likely to leave, less likely to fight back,” she said. “You’re a lot more vulnerable.”


In time, she said, she hopes her social presence can “help bring awareness and education on abuse and coercion, specifically within religious or traditional circles.”

“I just have this weird kind of desire,” she said, “to make my life count for something.”
 
Last edited:
LOL

I have opinions and I make arguments here, with carefully presented evidence and reasoning. You don't have to agree with me. In fact I invite and enjoy argument and disagreement.

If you think this discussion forum has a different purpose.... OK.

A single experimental satellite that does "AI BUZZWORD" is hardly a sign that massive cosntellations of AI data centers are coming, and does nothing to refute the many compelling and obvious arguments against the idea - cost, power, cooling, latency, non-maintainability, radiation - absolutely none of which can ever be easier in orbit than on earth. Don't be so gullible, McFly. Musk and SpaceX are talking it up because they're selling shovels (launch) in a gold rush.

That it's obviously fools gold doesn't mean there isn't grift to be grifted.

Disagree? Fine. Present an argument.
Should I believe a man that reuses rockets and drops it on a boat/chopsticks, provide internet to places never seen, rescue an astronaut in space that NASA could not, created the most profitable car company that drives itself or some guy who moderates a subforum?

OK, let me think about this. I would say his knowledge of space is infinitely more than a subforum moderator.
 
@pgg can never be as cool as this..


IMG_1240.jpeg
IMG_1239.jpeg
 
  • Haha
Reactions: pgg
Should I believe a man that reuses rockets and drops it on a boat/chopsticks, provide internet to places never seen, rescue an astronaut in space that NASA could not, created the most profitable car company that drives itself or some guy who moderates a subforum?

OK, let me think about this. I would say his knowledge of space is infinitely more than a subforum moderator.
Difficult choices...hmmmmmm.
 
Should I believe a man that reuses rockets and drops it on a boat/chopsticks, provide internet to places never seen, rescue an astronaut in space that NASA could not, created the most profitable car company that drives itself or some guy who moderates a subforum?

OK, let me think about this. I would say his knowledge of space is infinitely more than a subforum moderator.
How about integrity and agenda going forward?
 
How about integrity and agenda going forward?
Discussion about ability to put data centers in space. I dare not discuss someone's integrity or Agenda because your lefties would just nitpick the discussion to death. You guys could turn Mother Theresa into the worse person on earth.
 



 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Discussion about ability to put data centers in space. I dare not discuss someone's integrity or Agenda because your lefties would just nitpick the discussion to death. You guys could turn Mother Theresa into the worse person on earth.

Do any of you guys have an actual argument against the reasons I listed for space-based data centers being a ridiculous idea, or are you just going to keep falling back on "Musk rich, Musk clever, Musk says data centers in space good idea (for his company that sells launch services)" ....

You're allowed to think for yourselves.
 
Do any of you guys have an actual argument against the reasons I listed for space-based data centers being a ridiculous idea, or are you just going to keep falling back on "Musk rich, Musk clever, Musk says data centers in space good idea (for his company that sells launch services)" ....

You're allowed to think for yourselves.
You make some valid points, some of which I share. Another one: radio transmission of data is slower and less efficient. I'm not an engineer nor an expert on economics. It's possible that technology could address some of those problems over the next few decades. Putting a single data server in space to test the technology seems like a smart way to test if the concept is viable. Even if it fails, there's a lot that can be learned. If you asked someone 3 decades ago if we'd have powerful computers in our pockets that can communicate around the globe, you probably would have been told that's a ridiculous idea.
 
It’s certainly possible. Radiative cooling can be made to work. Engineering problems can be overcome. But what’s even the point? What problem do they solve and at what cost? It’s significantly less costly just bribing Americans and building them on the land; hey we will bring new data centers to your community, and you won’t have to pay property tax for next ten years! I bet everyone will come on board.

But someone with access to a rocket company might launch a few computers into space as a "proof of concept" to scam the investors.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pgg
It’s certainly possible. Radiative cooling can be made to work. Engineering problems can be overcome. But what’s even the point? What problem do they solve and at what cost? It’s significantly less costly just bribing Americans and building them on the land; hey we will bring new data centers to your community, and you won’t have to pay property tax for next ten years! I bet everyone will come on board.

But someone with access to a rocket company might launch a few computers into space as a "proof of concept" to scam the investors.
I think some concerns are running out of real estate, increased electricity demands, and damage to the environment.
 
I think some concerns are running out of real estate, increased electricity demands, and damage to the environment.

That’s why it should be left to the community to decide. There are plenty of rural areas across the country plagued with poverty and substance abuse crisis. There is some opportunity for them. It’s hard to believe that some of them won’t take up on the offer.

And Musk knows this. He will put few computers up there in order to generate the hype from the investors, while quietly building more and more data centers on the land under shell companies.
 
And even in our capitalist country, some things are more important than money.


I read the NYT article about this a while back. She agreed to sell then changed her mind. She's being sued by her neighbors because of that. She's poor, physically disabled and legally blind. She could live out her remaining years without worrying about keeping the lights on and pass on the wealth to her kids. Saying no because of principles or because of her land? I don't think it was a wise decision. No way I'd give up that kind of money.
 
Last edited:
That’s why it should be left to the community to decide.

I think putting centers in areas with water-strained access should be banned, like Arizona. New portable nuclear power plant technology that can't melt down may reduce the strain of the power grid. Some centers are burning natural gas to spin turbines, but that creates more pollution.

And Musk knows this. He will put few computers up there in order to generate the hype from the investors, while quietly building more and more data centers on the land under shell companies.

The company I mentioned is Google. Last time I checked, they are a competitor to Musk and are accountable to share holders.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think some concerns are running out of real estate, increased electricity demands, and damage to the environment.
A patch of the most worthless and remote land on any continent is still cheaper than orbit, scales orders of magnitude better, cools more easily, has massively lower latency, is mantainable, is upgradable, and can be powered with coal, oil, gas, solar, wind, nuclear, or mutant hamsters on big wheels.

Building rockets and burning a couple hundred tons of fossil fuels to get to orbit and then deorbiting all these satellites to burn up in the atmosphere isn't environmentally benign, either. Fully reusable rockets burning methane are pretty clean (once built and assuming zero methane leaks), but it's kind of funny to think any of these players are motivated by environmental concerns.


There's just no reason to put this stuff in orbit. Maybe .... looser or absent regulation of content/use/applications because no single law enforcement agency has jurisdiction? That's hardly a plus for US but maybe the billionaires would like that.

Everyone pushing these ideas are selling launch services or the chips. Of course they say it's an amazing idea.
 
A patch of the most worthless and remote land on any continent is still cheaper than orbit, scales orders of magnitude better, cools more easily, has massively lower latency, is mantainable, is upgradable, and can be powered with coal, oil, gas, solar, wind, nuclear, or mutant hamsters on big wheels.

Building rockets and burning a couple hundred tons of fossil fuels to get to orbit and then deorbiting all these satellites to burn up in the atmosphere isn't environmentally benign, either. Fully reusable rockets burning methane are pretty clean (once built and assuming zero methane leaks), but it's kind of funny to think any of these players are motivated by environmental concerns.


There's just no reason to put this stuff in orbit. Maybe .... looser or absent regulation of content/use/applications because no single law enforcement agency has jurisdiction? That's hardly a plus for US but maybe the billionaires would like that.

Everyone pushing these ideas are selling launch services or the chips. Of course they say it's an amazing idea.
I don't understand why we're not putting these things in a lot of the great expanses of empty land in like North Dakota and Montana.

Plenty of space and during the winter it's so cold you won't even have to cool it. Just leave the door open.
 
A patch of the most worthless and remote land on any continent is still cheaper than orbit, scales orders of magnitude better, cools more easily, has massively lower latency, is mantainable, is upgradable, and can be powered with coal, oil, gas, solar, wind, nuclear, or mutant hamsters on big wheels.

Building rockets and burning a couple hundred tons of fossil fuels to get to orbit and then deorbiting all these satellites to burn up in the atmosphere isn't environmentally benign, either. Fully reusable rockets burning methane are pretty clean (once built and assuming zero methane leaks), but it's kind of funny to think any of these players are motivated by environmental concerns.


There's just no reason to put this stuff in orbit. Maybe .... looser or absent regulation of content/use/applications because no single law enforcement agency has jurisdiction? That's hardly a plus for US but maybe the billionaires would like that.

Everyone pushing these ideas are selling launch services or the chips. Of course they say it's an amazing idea.
A VP of Google is the one that Express concern for the environment in a New York Times article . Whether that's anything more than PR beats me. I wonder if what you wrote is AI lol. At any rate, it's clear you're not interested in considering the idea, so there was really no point to continue this debate.
 
Data center does not need many people. Once built, 50-100 for a mega center.

China builds its data centers in rural sparsely populated areas with vast renewable energy.
My point still stands. Unless you can find the right talent to recruit locally, you have to relocate those people. Getting people with the experience and qualifications to move to SD might be challenging.
 
My point still stands. Unless you can find the right talent to recruit locally, you have to relocate those people. Getting people with the experience and qualifications to move to SD might be challenging.
It would be *much* cheaper just in terms of land acquisition cost to build someplace rural and then pay enough money to get the few human employees to work there.

There’s a reason they don’t want their data centers in remote areas and I think it’s fear of them being destroyed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A VP of Google is the one that Express concern for the environment in a New York Times article . Whether that's anything more than PR beats me. I wonder if what you wrote is AI lol. At any rate, it's clear you're not interested in considering the idea, so there was really no point to continue this debate.

LOL

I'm actually very interested in the subject. I keep giving reasons and examples why it's ridiculous and why certain celebrities who stand to make money building it are pretending it's viable.

So far the arguments in favor are
- Musk is more trustworthy than a forum moderator
- environmentalism (which I argued actually favors earth-based data centers)

I even offered an idea of what they'd be good for (evading regulation on particular uses or content).

If you don't want to argue about it, that's OK. But don't tell me I'm not interested in having my mind changed.
 
LOL

I'm actually very interested in the subject. I keep giving reasons and examples why it's ridiculous and why certain celebrities who stand to make money building it are pretending it's viable.

So far the arguments in favor are
- Musk is more trustworthy than a forum moderator
- environmentalism (which I argued actually favors earth-based data centers)

I even offered an idea of what they'd be good for (evading regulation on particular uses or content).

If you don't want to argue about it, that's OK. But don't tell me I'm not interested in having my mind changed.
I don't disagree with you, based on today's technology. Who knows if that will be the case in 3 decades.
 
I am a pretty YIMBY guy myself. So, concept of building data centers doesn’t bother me (even in my own community) as long as it’s built in a way that doesn’t impact local air and water quality (ie. data centers powered by nuclear reactor instead of gas, and the one using closed-loop water system).

I was listening to one podcast on this very topic featuring a journalist who has dedicated past several years studying this subject. She has interviewed the leaders of these very companies who are building these centers. And according to her, these people aren’t concerned one bit about running out places to build these things. They think that some communities across the entire country will agree for financial incentives. And as a last resort, they will just build it in another country that would accommodate them! Australia was mentioned among potential contenders (another vast country with abundant land).

So “where will these data centers go?” isn’t particularly their main concern.
 
I am a pretty YIMBY guy myself. So, concept of building data centers doesn’t bother me (even in my own community) as long as it’s built in a way that doesn’t impact local air and water quality (ie. data centers powered by nuclear reactor instead of gas, and the one using closed-loop water system).

I was listening to one podcast on this very topic featuring a journalist who has dedicated past several years studying this subject. She has interviewed the leaders of these very companies who are building these centers. And according to her, these people aren’t concerned one bit about running out places to build these things. They think that some communities across the entire country will agree for financial incentives. And as a last resort, they will just build it in another country that would accommodate them! Australia was mentioned among potential contenders (another vast country with abundant land).

So “where will these data centers go?” isn’t particularly their main concern.
All right. It's not something I cane up with. A Google executive was quoted that as a consideration for going into space.